Forum home Your planning threads

‘Rustic chic’ in the South Downs - October 2020/2021

• Dress 3 - love but wish it had a lace hem!
  • Dress 4 - also wish it had a lace hem!
  • They're gorgeous!! I know you say about the lace hem but i have to say 3 and 4 re my favourite, they're just that bit more different, but of course that totally depends on what you're going for! 3 completely took me by surprise, its really stunning. 
  • Ooh that's interesting, thanks! If 4 had had a lace hem I would probably have bought it on the spot, as I did feel great in it (and it's a sort of subtle champagne colour which I liked). But then looking back at the pics, number 3 is really jumping out at me as well, more than it did at the time. Just wish I had taken my bra off as it's all I can see when I look at the back picture! I really want a 'wow' back (though not backless), so 1 and 3 definitely provide that...
  • Another vote for dress 3!
    Looks amazing on you. 
  • No 3 for me too. I love the back and like that it's a different shaped neckline in that it exposes the shoulders which is a very modern style. The advantage of no lace around the bottom of the skirt is that it'll be a lot easier to take up which means cheaper alterations and tbh, apart from when you're walking down the aisle, the bottom won't be noticed so it's all about that amazing bodice.
  • They all look nice but number 4 is my favourite! I think it's the colour, makes the lace pattern really stand out. The top and back of 3 are stunning though. 
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,957 New bride
    I like 1, then 4, then 3, (though you look fab in all of them). 2 is nice but just not as exciting.
    I love the back of 3 but I'm personally not a fan of that neckline, though I know that style is very current.
    While pretty, the great thing about not having a lace hem is that it costs a hell of a lot less to have it taken up (those scallop lace hems are very labour intensive as they have to unpick them by hand, shorten the dress, then hand-sew it back on - cost me a fortune for mine!).
  • annipooannipoo Posts: 265 New bride
    My opinion is very similar to MrsC's. I think 4 is my favourite but I really like 1 as well. 2 is nice but a bit plain compared to the others and I'm not a huge fan of the neckline on 3. All of them really suit you though. 
  • Ahh thank you all for your lovely comments! I do agree that 2 has less 'wow factor' than the others. I think it probably flatters my figure the most, but to be honest, I felt pretty good in all of them. 2 was actually the heaviest of these four as well.
    @MrsCToBee that's so true about taking up dresses with a lace hem! When you say it cost you a fortune, would you be happy to give me a ballpark figure? I'm hearing quite varied reports on the cost of alterations in general and it's making me nervous since I just have no clue what this would cost...
    Also, this may be super silly and it hadn't even crossed my mind until a friend mentioned it was something she was very conscious of on her wedding day, but I feel that having a bustle on a dress like 3 or 4 might make my already big bum look enormous! I never thought I'd go for a tulle skirt and I do like how light it makes the dress, but can't help thinking that all that material gathered up behind is not going to do me any favours in an area that I'm already slightly self-conscious of...
    MrsH2020 said:
    Ahh thank you all for your lovely comments! I do agree that 2 has less 'wow factor' than the others. I think it probably flatters my figure the most, but to be honest, I felt pretty good in all of them. 2 was actually the heaviest of these four as well.
    @MrsCToBee that's so true about taking up dresses with a lace hem! When you say it cost you a fortune, would you be happy to give me a ballpark figure? I'm hearing quite varied reports on the cost of alterations in general and it's making me nervous since I just have no clue what this would cost...
    Also, this may be super silly and it hadn't even crossed my mind until a friend mentioned it was something she was very conscious of on her wedding day, but I feel that having a bustle on a dress like 3 or 4 might make my already big bum look enormous! I never thought I'd go for a tulle skirt and I do like how light it makes the dress, but can't help thinking that all that material gathered up behind is not going to do me any favours in an area that I'm already slightly self-conscious of...
    I've heard alterations vary massively in price regionally. My alterations were quite extensive and cost £250 with a seamstress who works from a home studio. That was for: 
    3 fittings
    Taking up lace hem
    Taking in at bust
    Making straps from offcuts and attaching
    Bustle
    Making new corset panel
    Shortening boning in corset
    Generally tidying it up as it was a sample

Would have cost me a fortune at the bridal alteration shop the bridal shop recommends, here is their price list! https://www.misskayseamstress.co.uk/alteration-costs/

My bustle did up under my bum so had no effect on the size of my bum! It did break eventually though, everyone I know said their bustle broke though and I was on the dancefloor all night!
  • Love 3 and 4! My friend told me her dress fit perfectly, all it needed was the hem taking up and a bustle added and it was £250. I'm preparing for the worst as I'm between sizes!
  • @MrsCToBee thanks so much - super useful. And @cluelessbride01 I feel your pain at being in between sizes. I'm generally a 10 on top and a 14 on the bottom, which sadly does not tend to even out to a nice neat 12 overall. whichever dress I buy I'll probably have to buy it in the size that fits my hips and then have the top part taken in.
    Interestingly dress 2 comes in two different lengths, with the shorter one being 3ins shorter than the one I tried. I feel as though if I got it in the shorter length I might be able to get away with not getting it taken up further...
  • I've just had a long video call with one of my bridesmaids, who lives in Sydney, and we've gone through every dress in minute detail - who says bridesmaids have to be close by to be involved/helpful?! We've decided that I am going to surrender the £40 it will cost to get the first dress in to a different shop to try in a size that isn't too small. I haven't been able to get it out of my mind since I first tried it two months ago, and I think if I don't try it again I will always wonder whether it would have been 'the one'. Then I'm going to have to try all the others again and force myself to make a decision!
    In other news, we have booked our pizza van for the evening! This was something I wanted right from the start as J and I love wood fired sourdough pizza and I think it's the perfect food for when everyone is drunk and starving midway through the night (our two-course meal will be at 3.30, so I'm thinking of pizza at 9ish??) We've booked The Land Doughver, which is an old land rover with the back converted into a pizza oven and I'm SO excited about it!
  • You look lovely in all of them but dress 1 is my favourite!
  • MrsH2020 said:
    I've just had a long video call with one of my bridesmaids, who lives in Sydney, and we've gone through every dress in minute detail - who says bridesmaids have to be close by to be involved/helpful?! We've decided that I am going to surrender the £40 it will cost to get the first dress in to a different shop to try in a size that isn't too small. I haven't been able to get it out of my mind since I first tried it two months ago, and I think if I don't try it again I will always wonder whether it would have been 'the one'. Then I'm going to have to try all the others again and force myself to make a decision!
    In other news, we have booked our pizza van for the evening! This was something I wanted right from the start as J and I love wood fired sourdough pizza and I think it's the perfect food for when everyone is drunk and starving midway through the night (our two-course meal will be at 3.30, so I'm thinking of pizza at 9ish??) We've booked The Land Doughver, which is an old land rover with the back converted into a pizza oven and I'm SO excited about it!
    We had a pizza van too and it was the best thing we did! Our guests loved it, as did we. Our BBQ was around 4pm and our pizza van started to get busy from 10pm (I think people were still full 😂) so your timings sound perfect. 

Ps - you look amazing in all the dresses! 
  • I said yes to the dress! And it’s not any of the ones above....
    There is a wed2b five mins from my house, and although I’d been in there on my first day of dress shopping a few months ago I hadn’t really seen anything that blew me away.  But then I saw a dress on their Instagram that I hadn’t seen before and really loved it. I went in on a whim this morning and tried it, and I didn’t want to ever take it off! It fits like a glove and only needs minor alterations, like the length. It is a lace hem so shortening it will be pricier but with a dress at wed2b prices I can afford that. Anyway, it’s under budget, exactly what I had always pictured, and I love it 😁

• THE dress :) 
  • Aw thats stunning!!! you look fantastic, im so pleased you found something that ticks all your boxes!
  • That’s beautiful! Congratulations on finding your dress!
    You look amazing, congrats!
  • annipooannipoo Posts: 265 New bride
    That is a beautiful dress. 
  • Congratulations, looks beautiful  :)
  • That is gorgeous!!!! <3
  • MrsH2020MrsH2020 Posts: 210 New bride
    Thanks so much all! I picked up the dress yesterday (I paid a little extra for Web2b to pack it into a storage box it can stay in until next year). Last week I was stressing over picking between four and now I actually have my dress in my house! Any other Wed2b brides have to store their dress for the best part of a year before wearing it? They told me it will be totally fine in the box, but I'm still nervous about it not being perfect when I finally unpack it to take it to a seamstress, probably in July/August next year...

• Mine isn't Wed2B but it has been in storage for a year now, and theres still 6 months to go! Its been just on a garment bag hanging on the back of a door, with a brief spell folded on a bed in its bag but its absolutely fine. They will have packed it well so its safe and as long as its in a room thats dark ish and not a damp room it will be fine! 
    I bought mine as a sample and it spent over a year in a dress bag just hanging in the cupboard. The dress shop did tell me to take it out of the dress bag and put a white duvet cover over it but I never did and it was fine.
  • MrsH2020MrsH2020 Posts: 210 New bride
    Eeeek yesterday marked exactly one year to go! I was obsessively checking the temperatures and especially the light all day to work out how dark it would likely be at what time. Obviously the weather has a huge impact, but the best sunset light was between 5.45 and 6.15, which is good to know! (Anyone else do this on their year-to-go?) We also went out for a lovely dinner last night, using a very generous voucher for Ottolenghi's Soho restaurant that we were given as an engagement gift by one of my lovely bridesmaids. We thought our 'pre-aversary' would be the perfect time to use it. We ate and drank ourselves silly and giggled together all the way home, and I just kept thinking how lucky I am to be marrying someone who makes me laugh so much. (Sorry for the soppiness!)
    On Sunday we also went back to the lovely Upwaltham barns for a visit with J's parents, who live a few hours away. I swear every time we go to the venue I love it more, and we always get such a warm welcome. We wanted to visit around the time of our wedding next year to see how it looked with the autumn colours and although I think the leaves are changing quite late this year, it looked stunning, helped that we had wall-to-wall blue sky. J's parents have never really been to a wedding that wasn't in a church/hotel, and I knew they were struggling to imagine the sort of day we're planning. Luckily they adored Upwaltham (who couldn't?!), and we had a nice lunch in Chichester afterwards and scouted out a few possible hotels for J's family to stay in next year.
  • AmyFSToBeAmyFSToBe Posts: 289 New bride
    Happy pre-aversary! So exciting. Sounds like you had a lovely time celebrating. We’ve got a while until the 1 year mark but I know I’ll be doing the same as you re checking the weather etc!! 😂
  • ShibbsShibbs Posts: 14 New bride
    MrsH2020 said:
    Thanks so much all! I picked up the dress yesterday (I paid a little extra for Web2b to pack it into a storage box it can stay in until next year). Last week I was stressing over picking between four and now I actually have my dress in my house! Any other Wed2b brides have to store their dress for the best part of a year before wearing it? They told me it will be totally fine in the box, but I'm still nervous about it not being perfect when I finally unpack it to take it to a seamstress, probably in July/August next year...

Hey! Your dress is beautiful by the way, it really suits you! I'm a fellow Wed2B bride, I bought my dress in November 2018 and I'm getting married in Jan 2020. I did the same as you and paid for the box I also bought a white dress bag to hang it in. They recommended that I take the dress out of the box every few months and let the dress hang loose so that the train can air out and breathe. I've done this a few time and when H2B was around I just hung it in the bag in a spare bedroom wardrobe. It's looking just the same as it was on the shop floor. Closer to the wedding I'm planning on taking it out for a week to hang and let any creases come out not that there was many to begin with. Hope this helps!