Navy & Rose Gold - May 2020

Hi everyone, 

I've been lurking for a while now and to be honest not really sure where to start the this but I'll give it a go :) 
I'm S & my OH is G! We met approx. 21 years ago :o  when I was 16 & he was 20 (whoops might of given away our ages there haha!) Anyway we dated for a while but he was a typical young lad and played around a bit so we broke up & went our separate ways! 
Fast forward to early 2009 when we got back in touch again (it was all very random how it happened) - I was going through a divorce and he was single again and we met up for drinks and honestly it felt like I was 16 again and the spark was 100% still there! We talked for hours about what we'd both been up to! It felt so nice and natural! Anyway we said our good byes and headed home - by the time I got back I already had a message asking me out for lunch on the Saturday! I was a giddy school girl all over again. 
We finally became 'official' again in June 2009 and haven't looked back since - we've got our beautiful dream home and we have a gorgeous 4yr old son who we adore - so now it's time to 'make it official' FINALLY!! :D    

• BooshBoosh Posts: 23 New bride
    I'll be honest I never thought this day would come as for a long time G was very anti marriage - it may of been to do with him seeing how hard my divorce was on me I don't know but for a very long time I never even expected an engagement! He used to say a mortgage is a bigger commitment than marriage (in a way I agreed but I secretly hoped he'd change his mind). So when we were in the process of trying to buy a house in March 2013 it was the furthest thing from my mind - we were jumping through hoops to buy what we thought was our dream home and were devastated when it call came crashing down around us! So to cheer me up he booked a weekend away at a beautiful place called Crewe Hall (google it, it's stunning). So off we went Easter weekend, our first day we strolled round the gardens and enjoyed exploring the old part of the hotel, we had dinner and then went in to this beautiful 'snug' room with a huge old fireplace and wood panelled walls. 
    *As a side note G is not really what you'd call 'romantic'* We sat and had a glass of wine when suddenly he puts his glass down and tells me to do the same and says 'I think we should get engaged' Now he can be a bit of a joker so my instant reaction was not one of elation but one of 'are you kidding me right now coz it's not funny to joke about that shit to me!' Romantic huh :D
    Anyway he went on to tell me how much he loved me and that he'd been thinking that it was the obvious next natural step in our future <3 (I know right) So of course I said YES! and he then told me he'd planned to take me to a jewellers in Chester the next day to pick out a ring as he couldn't decide and thought it would be nice for us to do together! So that's what we did it was lovely - it was perfect really as it was so typically him!  
    So there we are all newly engaged and I've got my new bling! Getting lots of congratulations from family and friends but every time someone said 'so when is the wedding?' he'd kind of clam up - Then I asked him what was wrong and he said 'I asked us to get engaged to show commitment not to end up getting married' WHAT!!! :o 
    I was so taken a back by this - there was me planning in my head already and him doing no such thing! 
    So I did a lot of thinking about it and asking if I could be happy knowing we'd never get married and ultimately Yes because I loved him to bits & he loved me and that was all that mattered! 
    So as luck would have it we found another better house and steamed head on in to buying and moving! Then life took over, I had a massive loss when my dad passed away suddenly in December 2014 (I was 10 weeks pregnant at the time, thankfully dad knew) and then in July 2015 our beautiful boy was born. 
    Then out of the blue in January 2018 we were sat in our (fairly) local hotel/restaurant/bar having a Sunday afternoon drink when G pipes up - I think we should book this place for our wedding reception 'Excuse me?!' 'Yeah it's perfect, it has X, Y & Z, lets set a date!' 'Erm ok' I was still picking myself up off the floor! So we spoke with the manager and made an appointment to go have a 'proper' look round. We originally booked for 4th May 2019 but due to finances we changed it to 2nd May 2020 so that's us! In 9 months time eeek!!    
    Planning 
    Once we had reset the date we began planning I say 'We' in the loosest term haha! So we already had the Reception venue, it's a place called Herriots in Skipton (on the edge of the dales) and our ceremony is just at the registry office (some 500m away) - we are hoping if it's nice on the day we can walk from the registry office along the canal (that runs along the back) to the hotel which would make for some nice pictures we think. 
    So far we have booked/Bought  
    Registrar - with notice given 
    Hotel/ Reception Venue and chosen the menu
    Photographer 
    MUA & Hair for myself, bridesmaids and mum
    My Dress <3 
    My Shoes 
    I've made my bouquet and the Bridesmaids already (obvs having artificial)
    His Ring (absolute bargain - I'll elaborate later) - mine is being made by his cousin who is a jeweller and I'm using my dads wedding ring as part of it!    
    Familymoon to Halkidiki 5* all inc for 7 nights 
    Cake maker  
    Strangely I also have table runners - saw a lady selling the ones I wanted on Facebook haha! 
  • MrsW2020MrsW2020 Posts: 171 New bride
    Woo a new planning thread! Look forward to reading more :)
  • Looking forward to reading more!

I'm another one who never thought we'd get married! We've been together years and he's always said spending money on a wedding won't change anything and it's just a piece of paper. He surprised me with a proposal last year!

He still jokes that it was a moment of madness  :|  

• MrsH2020MrsH2020 Posts: 65 New bride
    Love an unexpected proposal :) Excited to read more of your plans!

The Dress
    I went dress shopping in early February initially for a look - I had no intention of buying that's for sure. Went to a lovely boutique called Ava Rose Hamilton about 5mins from me (their other shop is also on the new say yes to the dress Lancashire). Anyway I went with mum and my 2 best friends, I was really nervous initially, not sure why but my lovely assistant Bernie put me at ease - she gave us some pegs and we all had to go round the store and pick a few dresses for me to try. 
    Now as I mentioned before I have been married before and had a big wedding so I wanted to stay as far away from me past dress as possible (it was a mori lee embellished bodice and full tulle skirt very princess). 
    The vision I had in my head was fitted with a low back. That's when Bernie worked her magic. She pulled a dress and I almost instantly fell in love with it - so that was the first one I tried on and as soon as I saw myself I cried (happy tears) I felt AMAZING in it! I walked out to show the girls and their reaction couldn't of been better - my usually very chatty friend gasped and then cried, my other friend started welling up and my mum, well my mum bless her said well that was easy we found your perfect dress on your first go, I don't think you need to try anymore on! 
    Anyway I did try some more on just to check that the first one was the right one and then I put it on again at the end and had the exact same reaction as the first time! Its perfect! And the best thing was it was in the sample sale so it was reduced from £3k down to £1k (que mum haggling and getting a bit more off  too!) - it'll need a fair bit of length taking off as I'm not blessed in the height department and I'm reducing the length of the train to more of a puddle train. It needs taking in too. 
    I'm so excited for my fitting early next year! 
    I don't have any pics of me in it as I didn't want them falling in to the wrong hands haha so here is the model wearing it - She is called Vanila by Pronovias <3 <3

The Shoes & Bouquets
    Back in April I was struck down with Pneumonia (wouldn't wish it on anyone). As I was recovering I sent my mum to a wholesalers to pick up some flowers so I could practice making the Bridesmaids Bouquets (I only have 2 adult ones). So bless her off she went (thank goodness for FaceTime capabilities :D ) she brought back some lovely bits and so from my sick bed I set to work. I still need to play around a little more but they are almost there. Then on to mine I wanted Red roses as I know they will look stunning against my dress - Mum searched for the perfect red for me but we couldn't find one - I then found what I thought could be the perfect ones Amazon of all places - they were £15 for 10 so initially I just bought 1 pack - next day they arrived and were the perfect colour and look so real - they feel almost a little waxy but they look stunning - G had to trim the stems down for me and I cut the 'leaves' off as they made them look fake. 10 just wasn't enough though so I ordered another lot (gotta love prime haha!). So after a play around there they are:

Then once I was feeling a little better I ventured out with mum to Skipton (about 15mins from home) and I was saying how I wanted red shoes too but they had to be a certain shade and I wanted satin etc. We walk in to a department store in to the shoe department - they have a sale on and there on the sale rail is 1 pair of perfect red shoes in my size! Fate or what! £22 bargain from the Head over Heels collection by Dune! 

They match my flowers perfectly! Super comfy too! 
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,846 New bride
    Wow lovely thread :)
    The dress is beautiful, and you've done a great job with your flowers!
    We are also getting married in a pub/restaurant in 2 weeks and it was a long time coming, 9 years in fact :)
    MrsCToBee said:
    We are also getting married in a pub/restaurant in 2 weeks and it was a long time coming, 9 years in fact :)
    Thanks - been binge reading your thread when I get a chance! Your flower ideas are stunning! Does it feel real yet that yours is 2 weeks away? Eeek!! 
  • MrsW2020MrsW2020 Posts: 171 New bride
    Your dress is absolutely stunning 😍 even better that it was a bargain as well!
    edited 8 August
    Boosh said:
    MrsCToBee said:
    Thanks - been binge reading your thread when I get a chance! Your flower ideas are stunning! Does it feel real yet that yours is 2 weeks away? Eeek!! 
    Oh god my wafflings go on for reams!!! Hoping flowers go well, can order them on 16th :)
    It does and it doesn't  -I think when I finish work the Tuesday before it will seem more real! It did occur to me earlier that I get married THE WEEK AFTER NEXT and that scared me ;)
  • MrsH2020MrsH2020 Posts: 65 New bride
    Absolutely LOVE your dress - so elegant and classy. Fab shoes too x
  • LOVE those shoes-what a find 😍
  • annipooannipoo Posts: 92 New bride
    Boosh said:
    he said 'I asked us to get engaged to show commitment not to end up getting married' WHAT!!! :o 
    Ugh, I was so angry on your behalf at that statement. What was he thinking?! I'm glad he came to his senses!

Your dress looks beautiful. Congratulations for finding the one on the first attempt. From the pics you can't tell that the flowers are fake, they look good. I find Head Over Heels shoes are usually really comfy so good choice. 
    Keep having anxiety dreams about the wedding :s 
    Don't know if it's down to me doing lots of little bits recently that it's at the forefront of my mind or what but hell fire they are unnerving at times! 
  • Same here - we get married in October this year and in the past week I've had 2 horrid ones to the point where i've woken up crying! I've just put it down to the fact its now just over 7 weeks away and I have my first fitting this weekend but totally sympathise! I'm sure they will lessen!
  • GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 1,306 New bride
    Ahhh I love your dress! Mine was also a bargain pronovias (very similar style but in lace- Ornani, and I loved it). Our colours were navy, blush and gold too. 

Looking forward to reading more 
    Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.
    Our report: A fun, classic May day in navy and blush
    My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
    edited 20 August
    So our ceremony is basically 'tweaked' via an online account so we can decide on what version of vows we say, what version of the 'I give this ring' speech goes. Has anyone else had to do this or have to done it all with the registrar? I quite like it this way as we can take our time over it and really think about how we want the ceremony to flow! They have now received our 'Notice' as well - we are getting married in a different district to where we live so that's exciting! Just need to pay the final balance of that this week! Then it's one more thing ticked off the list! 
    Had a bit of a wedding focused weekend which was nice - we finally put our 'mood board' together as G is very visual and he gets annoyed with Pinterest so printed off loads of pics and got them all stuck on a board and narrowed down how we see the 'look', it was nice to see it coming together - I actually think its better doing this way over Pinterest. We visited the venue to go over a few bits and ran over the timings of the day which helped get my head in the game! I was literally in the dark about timings! 
    Then Sunday Mum and I went to Jo Malone for my 'Scent your wedding' appointment - oh it was so lush and would totally recommend it to everyone! We got a complimentary glass of fizz which was a nice touch - a lovely hand and arm massage and I've now created my signature scent for the day <3 although I will be buying it over time as it's blooming expensive :#
    Tonight we have a child free night randomly so we are going to try design our invites so G can get some proofs printed at work! I'm excited as that will ultimately determine the theme throughout really! 
  • I'm so impressed at your other half being so involved with the look of the day! Mine doesn't really show much interest in wedding things at all, or its likely to set him off into a bit of a rant as to how expensive things are (I have to bite my tongue at this point, since I was all for an elopement!  :D )

I went to the Jo Malone scent appointment with my mum too - it was so lovely, and in many ways because there was no pressure to buy, I really wanted to buy everything! I didn't actually find a scent that I wanted to commit to right then, although my mum found the scent that she is planning to wear, so that made her recent birthday present an easy one! Which scents did you go for? Second your recommendation though to anyone reading this - its really worth while making an appointment and going along.

You're also getting married the week before me, and I've also got a Pronovias dress too! Great taste  ;)
    @CitytoCountry - G & I have very similar taste so its been pretty easy he is also a graphic designer so is all about the look and flow of things so that helps! He has had a couple of 'wobbles' when it's come to money but I've spreadsheet'd the bejezus out of this wedding so we can track to the penny what is spent so that calms him down usually! To be fair so far we are under budget so that pleases him hahaha! 

I can't remember off the top of my head what the fragrances were called but mum went for the same base note and a different top note and they smelled totally different it was so strange! So mum has her scent too! 
    I've said I don't want to get mine too soon so I'm not tempted to wear it before the day! Also my bridesmaid is off to the Dominican next month so I'll get her to look at prices in duty free in the airport! 

Oh wow that's fab! Have you got loads sorted? Oh yeah super good taste in the dress! x
    Last night was super productive we designed our invitations!!! Well I say 'we' G worked his magic on the computer and I sat and drank wine and told him the wording :D but I'm super made up with them! He's getting quotes from a few of his work contacts today as we'd like them foil printed ideally so fingers crossed they don't come back ridiculously expensive! I can't edit it so it does have all our details on but hey ho! 
    They are gorgeous, well done that man!
    MrsCToBee said:
    They are gorgeous, well done that man!
    I know I'm so happy I just want to show everyone haha! He's one of these that can take my vision and put in to reality! 
  • annipooannipoo Posts: 92 New bride
    Drinking wine and getting someone else to do the hard work sounds like the ideal way to design invitations. Or the ideal way to do anything really! 
  • They look amazing - excellent team work!
    Not much wedding happened this weekend! 
    But plans have been hatched for my Hen! 
    My 2 bridesmaids came over on Saturday to set plans in motion! It was nice to have someone do the organising for a change - although I am that much of a control freak that knowing I don't have full control is giving me anxiety :D ! I know they won't stitch me up and I know they will do me a great weekend! Some of the ideas they were banding around sounded fabulous! Anyway I've now been removed from the original group chat so I have no idea on plans! 
    By far the worst anxiety dream to date 😫! He stood me up & humiliated me god it was awful! He just sat at the back of the room in his suit laughing with his mates not caring I was stood there marrying no one 😭! 
    I seem to be at a standstill at the moment - I have done nothing wedding related for about 2 weeks - is that weird? I feel like I'm forgetting something but every time I check my list there is nothing I can think of! 
    I almost feel a little not bothered at the moment! Going through a bit of a low patch anyway so maybe it's that?