Forum home Your planning threads

Finally! Summer 2021....maybe

Hi ladies.

We’re right at the start of the process, so I hope you don’t mind me starting my planning thread. Seems to be handy to use as a sort of diary and to get opinions! Here goes :)

We’ve been together 9 years, engaged for 5 almost. We also have a 4 year old daughter. For different reasons we haven’t been in a position to start booking things until now.

How we met
I met a friend online, he met a friend online. They turned out to be brothers, and we met through them. First time we met, we had a rip
roaring drunken argument in a hotel corridor 😂 we quickly got over that and became firm friends. We got closer and closer and when he split up with his then gf, I was there to wipe his tears. A year later we officially got together and we’ve been together ever since 😍 moved in together after another year, and had our daughter after 4ish years of being together. 

The Proposal
Poor guy had a tough time of this! I only found out how tough afterwards....
We booked a dream holiday to go to Cuba, and he was planning on doing it then. Until we found out I was pregnant (we weren’t really planning it, just not preventing it!). My due date was a few days after we were due to fly out so we had to cancel the holiday, and he had to cancel the proposal.
Instead we booked a family break to Blackpool (our favourite place) for a few months after the birth. He arranged a big thing, for all our families to go, he would do it somewhere and they’d all pop out afterwards cheering etc. But after the birth of our daughter I was seriously ill (I have Crohn’s disease, pp hormones reacted with the disease and blocked my large bowel. It was removed and I now have an ileostomy- op was done 8 weeks after my c section!). So attempt number 2 also cancelled. 
When I was back on my feet he decided just to do it. He took me and our daughter on a drive to Kilconquhar castle estate, a place we’d been to a few years previously for New Years and loved. He finally managed to pop the question and of course I said yes :)

• GallaGalla Posts: 71 New bride
    The Planning
    So for all different reasons, were only in the position to plan now. I only work part time, and R has just moved jobs to one where he earns a bloody fortune so we have the money to play with. Still not going daft, we have a 10k budget but I’m a penny pincher so will be saving where I can. R works away so most of planning will be down to me. He got me the wedding planning for dummies book for Christmas as a way to say let’s finally do this 😍 

I have loads of ideas already. We initially looked at May 2022, but decided on June/July/August 2021 instead. 

The Venue
    Ive been researching, and have a few in mind I’d like to go see. If we like them, we can book in a viewing. 

Top of my list is the Torrance Hotel. I went to see a spiritualist here years ago and loved it ever since. I actually came home with wedding brochures then and we weren’t even engaged yet 😂 we’re going to go for lunch on Tuesday and see if we can speak to the events team. They’re having a wedding event at the end of January which I’ll go to if we decide we like it. It will be set out for a wedding, the piper will be there, can try canapés etc 
    https://www.thetorrancehotel.co.uk/wedding-events/

Kilconquhar castle estates - where we got engaged. Only thing putting me off here is it seems to be decorating the place yourself which I’m not sure I want to do. We’re going up again anyway to speak to them 
    https://www.kilconquharcastle.co.uk/

Crossbasket Castle - just because it looks lush! 

I do think the Torrance has already won. We don’t know anyone else who has been married there, we already love it, the packages include everything, it’s within budget, and not too far from both families. But I didn’t want to book without seeing a few other potentials. 

The Guest List
    Writing down rough numbers (how good is Bridebook btw) we have approx 60 day guests and another 70 for night. So kinda average size I would say. 

The Bridal Party
    Probably reallllly early for this but they’re all picked. I’m having my sister as my maid of honour, my sister in law, cousin and best friend as bridesmaids. I’ve already ordered their bridesmaid proposal gifts. It’s only balloons in a box they pop, confetti flies everywhere and a wee banner with ‘will you be my.....’ comes out. Obviously our daughter will be flower girl. Rs brothers partner is also pregnant so they will be involved too I hope.
    Rs best man is his best mate, and the guy we met through which is nice. He was my best friend for a long time until R came along 😂 he also has his 2 brothers and another friend to stand alongside him. 

We’re loving the lilac grey, so thinking that and white for the colour scheme. My
    Pinterest is already chock full of ideas for bridesmaid dress and kilts. 

Dress and shoes 😍
    I really really want the Carrie Bradshaw blue manolos she wore in the film. But think they’re just a bit too expensive so I might need to find some good replicas. 
    I’m holding off dress shopping for a bit. I have absolutely giant knockers (36jj) so a lot of dresses are off the list right away. Can’t do strapless or thin straps etc. I’m going to try lose weight this year see if I can get rid of some of them first. I’ve put on a fair bit of weight since I got my bag and can eat anything so it needs to stop! Just ordered myself some roller blades to exercise in style! I do love the fit and flare style dresses, and 40s hair and makeup so will need to find something that fits into that. 

Think that’s all we have looked at so far, but I will update in time. I am SO excited!

• Ahh I love it!! Such a sweet story and can't believe it was third time lucky with the proposal plan! 
    Yip, bless him he persevered and got there. 

Lunch tomorrow at first choice venue to have a proper look, can’t wait. I’ve been in touch with the wedding and events planner so I’ve just to ask for her after lunch for a chat. 
  • AmyFSToBeAmyFSToBe Posts: 200 New bride
    edited December 2019
    How exciting - have a lovely time tomorrow!! Have you got a list of first questions to ask the planner at all? Or are you just going for a first impressions type visit?
    We have both been in it before, but not with looking at it as a possible venue so it was really just a first look. If we like it I’d write down questions to ask at the wedding event on the 26th.

BUT R has bad man flu so looks like today is off 😔 get the feeling I’m going to need to try get him to a doc today so he can have antibiotics if he needs them before going back down south on Sunday. He has asthma and I think he may have a chest infection. Will see how he is and maybe go Friday or Saturday instead before he leaves.
    Yip didn’t make it yesterday. R has antibiotics so he’s booked a table for Friday hoping he’ll be feeling better by then! I really want us to see it before he goes away again so we can decide either way, he’ll be away for a month so it will really push planning back if we don’t see it.
  • CoffeeDogAddictCoffeeDogAddict Posts: 1,379 New bride
    Aw sorry to hear he isnt well! hopefully the antibiotics have time to kick in and hes better for friday!
    Antibiotics didn’t work and he’s no better so not going today. I’m calling the out of hours docs for him later. 

It’s annoying as I basically have this whole thing planned but can’t do anymore until I know what package etc were going for at the venue. I’m about 99.5% on the venue. R says when I go with our mums etc on 26th and still love it as much just to book it. He knows the venue, and trusts me to sort it. I just feel a bit wrong as he is paying for the whole thing, I only work part time and earn pocket money where he earns a fortune so while it’s ‘family’ money if he is forking out I want him to see what I’m spending all the money on if you get me! 

We decided on the main music this morning. R had already picked our first dance song so we’re having Shania Twain still the one for that. I’ll be walking up the aisle to only you by flunk (the yuleboard live version) and father daughter dance is heartland I loved her first. I absolutely love that song. 

Roll on 26th!
    Oh I also don’t need to worry about a photographer, Rs best friend is a photographer and she’s not long started out so he can negotiate with her! And my bridesmaid proposal gifts just came in eek dying to give them it, will do that soon as we have it booked
  • kirstyy91kirstyy91 Posts: 15 New bride
    That a shame that your h2b is still not well. Hope he feels better soon. That good you have your photographer sorted already one less thing to worry about!
    Am sure they will love their gifts. 
    So I’ve been emailing the wedding coordinator at the Torrance all day. They have our date free, and she has sent me estimates for 2 of their packages. 

Bespoke package - everything in the image I’ve attached is included. Estimate for that is £6,700. 

Eternity package - again image attached. Would still need to book cake, flowers, Dj and canopies separate. Estimate £7,700. 

Eternity package has a more superior 4 course menu and a number of drinks per person. Bespoke package would need nothing purchased separately, but has a 3 course meal and a glass of sparkling wine for the toasts. I’d maybe a glass of sparking wine or OJ for after the ceremony. 

Think we’re going for the Bespoke package. I’ve just asked when she is free for me to go over, I want to see it again once more before I book it. 

We’re defo booking this venue now. I’m hoping the coordinator has time this week to see me. They can hold the date for 2 weeks, so after I’ve seen her, asked questions and taken photos I’ll go back to R and see if he wants to ask anything else. If not, he’s given me the go ahead to just pay the deposit and set the date in stone. He’s given me an 18k budget including honeymoon, but I’m quite tight so will be saving where possible! He’s estimating the honeymoon to cost around 4k so I’ll leave that planning to him. 

I’ve decided on save the dates so will start making them this week as it might take a while. I want grey and white origami heart boxes, and have bought a stamp to go on a white sheet inside. With an origami envelope. I make book art so people might be expecting me to do something crafty! 
    Oh I love the envelopes! How cute. And so nice to have something homemade.
    Went to see the venue today. Still absolutely loved it! It’s being renovated, and I love it just now never mind when it’s done! The coordinator wasn’t in so I couldn’t book it, but I’ve emailed her asking for an appointment ASAP so I can go over and pay the deposit and sign the paperwork. 

Started my estimate spreadsheet tonight and it’s coming in at around 15k. That’s me over estimating though so hopefully come in below that! 
    Just back from my venue and we are officially getting married 3rd July 2021!!!
    Congrats!! So nice to have a date confirmed - it'll fly by!
  • MrsMidtobeMrsMidtobe Posts: 143 New bride
    Exciting! Looking forward to seeing the rest of your planning! 

Do you have pics of your e ring ? 
  • CoffeeDogAddictCoffeeDogAddict Posts: 1,379 New bride
    Aw thats so exciting congratulations!!
    ah I forgot about my engagement ring cos I’ve had it so long haha. Excuse the nails I’m bored at work and sitting pick the gel off before I redo them again later 

It looks a bit small there but it’s because I have arthritis and my hands swell out. Old before my time, I’m only 32
    And I have bridesmaids! 3 bridesmaids and a maid of honour. They were all chuffed to bits to be asked. I’ll post pics of what I asked them with. 

• kirstyy91kirstyy91 Posts: 15 New bride
    Congratulations on having a date. Very exciting!! 
    My temp ring for when my real one is getting cleaned or my hand is too swollen
    Wow this is a mega slow forum, I’m talking to myself on every thread it feels 😂 

starting to think about dresses, even though I won’t start shopping til I’ve lost at least 3 stone. Hopefully be more by July! 5lb off since Monday doing keto and intermittent fasting. Need to keep going!

anyway, I think I want a sheath dress with a cape vale. I love the wed2be lux, I’m aiming to look good in this.

• MrsH2020MrsH2020 Posts: 184 New bride
    Congrats on booking your venue and date! Also love that dress - I got mine from Wed2b and had a really nice experience shopping there :) 
    That's a lovely dress! I've been doing Keto and IF for about 6 months now (took December off!) and have already lost 44lbs so it's definitely easy!! And that's with no exercise at all. Good luck! Nice to meet a fellow keto-er haha
    Oh fab amy! I’m exercising as well so fingers crossed. Had a bad night tonight as I’m shattered and couldn’t face anymore meat or butter haha
    edited 12 January
    I've found it's the only diet that works for me so I hope you have the same!! Especially with exercise, can't go wrong haha. It can be difficult in the start, I'm often so full by dinner anyways and don't want to eat any meat so like to just have some stir fried veg, or an Asian broth with veggies etc for something a bit lighter.

Also I learnt the hard way - make sure you drinks LOADS of water (I ended up in A&E with horrendous kidney pain) so please learn from my mistake :lol:
    Making a start on our save the dates! 21 heart boxes done so far and I need 70, 70 inserts, 70 envelopes and 70 labels! Get most of them done tonight I think.