Forum home Your planning threads

Cancelled the wedding - but do we still get married?

As so many wonderful brides on here were in exactly the same situation. Sadly we've had to cancel our late April wedding. We're so gutted but as we're in London it's really the only option left it us. 

Our registrars are only allowing 2 witnesses alongside the couple if we still want to go ahead with the legal bit. 

As there aren't any other Saturday dates for the year available, I wonder what the right thing to do is? Do we still go get legally married and just stay at the hotel we'd planned, and have a celebrant later? Or do we cancel the legal ceremony as well and just rearrange everything to next year? 😥😥😥

• MrsHowgateMrsHowgate Posts: 1,433 New bride
    Do the legal bit and hotel just you and hubby to be. ‘Proper’ wedding with celebrant and guests and suppliers etc next year. A lot of people choose this route. 
  • Pisces91Pisces91 Posts: 216 New bride
    I think we're probably looking at next year. It's such a hard decision to make in such uncertain times. 

• Sci-Fi NerdSci-Fi Nerd Posts: 65 New bride
    We've just an email saying they're cancelling all weddings until May 31st. 

So that's answered it for us. How absolutely gutting. Now we're trying to figure out if our notice even still stands by the time we get another date. What a mess!! 
  • Pisces91Pisces91 Posts: 216 New bride
    I think they'll sort things like that at a later date. I wonder if they'll extend things like that just to avoid the extra paperwork! 
  • Sci-Fi NerdSci-Fi Nerd Posts: 65 New bride
    They're recommending doing our ceremony next year. So frustrated!!!!!! Why?!!! I'm absolutely fuming!!!
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 88 New bride
    We were meant to be having a church wedding on the 25th April and had hoped to go ahead with that and postpone the reception. We were going to have just our immediate family but the churches are now limited to priest, couple and two witnesses and there's no way we could pick which parents / siblings to come. So now I think we'll just wait and see but if our postponed date is all ok and actually get married then, even though we have to wait longer.