Forum home Your planning threads

A Rustic Devon Winter Wedding: Take Two! November 2021

Hi all,

When the forum went down a couple of weeks ago something went wrong with my account and my planning thread and all my posts on other people's threads got deleted! I'm a bit sad about it because I was really looking forward to having the thread to look back on and remember everything we had done, but it can't be helped. I'm not sure my account is quite right because I still can't log in on my phone so hopefully this one doesn't get deleted as well! I might start this thread off with a reminder of our planning journey so far and then update you on everything that's happened since I was last here!

• MrsW2020MrsW2020 Posts: 20 New bride
    Sorry if this is repeating stuff for those of you that read my previous thread, but I thought I may as well start from the beginning!

Me and M met on POF back in 2014. We moved in together the following year but I had to wait four years for the proposal! He asked me to marry him in February 2019 while we were skiing in the French Alps. We went to the top of the mountain and he tricked me into thinking we were having a group photo with the friends we were on holiday with and surprised me by pulling a ring box out of his ski jacket and getting down on one knee!

I'm still obsessed with my engagement ring over a year later! It's tanzanite and diamonds set in 18k white gold and I absolutely love it :love:

• AmyFSToBeAmyFSToBe Posts: 334 New bride
    I thought a comment of yours was missing on my thread (it looked like I was talking to myself haha) - how annoying!! Have you reached out to the tech support to see if they can restore it? Either way, welcome back!
    We started planning straight away and had booked our venue within two weeks of getting engaged! I won't go into our shortlists of everything like I did in my last thread, I'll just list what we have booked:

Venue: Bickley Mill Inn in Devon. It's an 800 year old flour mill that's been converted to a country pub and it's so cosy and pretty! We originally booked for 14th November 2020 but because of the pandemic we have postponed until 13th November 2021.

Photographer: Hannah Wilde Photography. We  have a pre-wedding shoot as part of our package although I'm not sure if we will do that this year. There's no rush now we have another year to wait!

Hair: Jessica-Faye Mobile Hairdressing

Make Up: So I finally got round to booking a new MUA! I'd had a lot of issues with communication with the original MUA I booked and when we postponed, she wouldn't confirm her availability for next year so I couldn't change my booking. I eventually just cancelled and I did lose my deposit but I'm so much happier with my new MUA! I've booked Aimee Welsh, and she was recommended by my hairdresser as she is getting married next year and she's booked Aimee for her own wedding.

Decor: We've hired brass lanterns and log slices for our centrepieces, and for the rest of the decor bits I'm either picking them up in shops when I see something nice and I'll be DIYing quite a bit.

This is what we have, but without the flowers.

Entertainment: We've booked a DJ for the evening reception as a live band was way over our budget. I do want some other entertainment for the evening do, we'll probably go with a magic mirror although we've not booked this yet.

AmyFSToBe said:
    I thought a comment of yours was missing on my thread (it looked like I was talking to myself haha) - how annoying!! Have you reached out to the tech support to see if they can restore it? Either way, welcome back!
    Thanks! It's so annoying that it's affected other people's threads as well as my own! I need to contact them to see if they can sort out the logging in issues so I'll ask that at the same time :smile:
    My Dress: My dress is the Sloane dress from True Bride in the colour Almond/Ivory. I went over budget slightly but no regrets, I still love it!

I have this hair vine from Debenhams:

And I have two pairs of shoes! The ivory stilettos are from Rainbow Club and will be my daytime shoes, and the glittery block heels are from New Look and will be my dancing shoes for the evening:

• GallaGalla Posts: 97 New bride
    I've had the same issues as you! Havent been able to get logged in since May now. Finally back in today using my laptop, still doesnt work on my phone. Theyve been ignoring my requests to fix it btw, 3 times I've emailed them.

Your venue looks incredible!
  • AmyFSToBeAmyFSToBe Posts: 334 New bride
    I forgot how gorgeous your dress is, the detail is stunning!
  • annipooannipoo Posts: 284 New bride
    Aww, that's disappointing that your entire profile is gone. Although I'm glad I wasn't the only one not able to log in. 
  • MrsWindsor2bMrsWindsor2b Posts: 80 New bride
    No! I was enjoying your thread! So annoying when the forum went down. I don't post very often, but I like logging in daily to read what everyone is getting up to! Especially local brides. Xx
    Thank you everyone! So weird how we've all been having so many issues with logging in. I can still only log in on my desktop and work has been crazy busy this week so just haven't had a chance to get on here at all!

We bought the suits last November (I promise I'll get to the new stuff soon, just want to try and catch back up to where I was!) although we still have to get shirts for everyone, waistcoats for the groomsmen, and M has decided he doesn't like the tie we bought so will need to find him a new one.

We bought the suits from Suits Direct at Clark's Village and we got a really good bargain! M has a Racing Green suit and Marc Darcy waistcoat. He already has a really nice pair of tan leather smart shoes so he wants to wear those.

He has three groomsmen and a best man, but only three could make it on the day. They all went for matching navy Limehaus suits which they'll wear with a grey waistcoat, but they didn't like any of the options on the day which is why they are all wearing different ones in this picture!

We picked out the bridesmaid dresses in February this year. I have four bridesmaids; my MOH A who I met on the second day of college when we were 16, M's little sister (also M, just to be confusing!) and two of my cousins, S and E. I ordered 5 different styles of dresses and held an afternoon tea party at my flat, sadly E couldn't make it but she's only 14 so I don't want to buy her dress too far in advance anyway as she's still growing.

I had been torn between navy or burgundy bridesmaid dresses but the unanimous decision on the day was this navy chiffon dress from Ever Pretty:

They also have some mink coloured faux fur shawls as it's a winter wedding, and M has already told me she plans to wear thermal leggings under her dress as she gets cold so easily! A and M (middle and right) will need to wear flats as they are so tall the dress is already the correct length for them, S (on the left) was wearing heels that made the dress the perfect length so I will probably ask her to wear those on the day! I've also booked them in with the hairdresser to have their hair done on the day. I'm think half up half down might look nice but I've not really discussed it with them so I'll see what they think!
    A long engagement has meant I've been able to pick up odd bits here and there when they are on sale, which has been great!

I ordered our confetti from Adam Apple in their black Friday sale last year and opted for delayed delivery, so it will be dispatched around four weeks before the wedding. When lockdown happened they emailed me to say I could delay it even further if I needed to because of postponing so that's what I've done! A bit unusual to buy confetti two years before the wedding but nothing is normal anymore! I went for the slow fall Earth Love Fire mix as I absolutely love the colours and think it will make a great confetti shot! It's going to be in personalised packets, although I can't actually remember which design I picked so that will be a nice surprise!

I've also ordered this Jenny Packham set in a Debenhams sale for my getting ready outfit. Just need to get some matching slippers!

I've been picking up decor bits as I go as well and have quite a collection of tealight holders and other knick knacks building up in my spare room! I've definitely gone down a bit of a Pinterest wormhole during lockdown as it was the only bit of wedding planning I could really do and now I have lots of ideas for some DIYs I want to do!
    We sent save the dates last year, I think in October or November. My MOH did a graphic design degree so she helped me make them. I bought a pack of graphics online from Creative Market and she used her software to come up with a few designs. I was so happy with how they turned out, a bit gutted that it's ended up being a waste now! I taught myself calligraphy for the envelopes and everything :joy:

I ordered them from Printed in their Nettuno paper. A also designed a matching envelope liner for them as one of our engagement cards had a liner and i thought it was the poshest thing ever :joy:

(Not a real address, did a fake one on a spare envelope so I could post it here!)
    We've still got quite few bits to sort out that we've either nearly done, or would have got done had lockdown not happened.

Music
    We've sorted quite a few of our music choices already. I listen to piano playlists on Spotify when I'm reading or working from home and I've been saving any pieces that I really like in their own playlist which I'm hoping to have playing as background music when the guests are taking their seats.
    I'm going to walk down the aisle to the Piano Guys version of A Thousand Years, which I'd never heard before but I'm now realising from the wedding groups on Facebook is a really cliche choice, but I don't care, I love it :joy:
    We've not decided on any signing the register songs but we're thinking of Ain't No Mountain High Enough as our exit song, as a nod to our proposal.
    For the first dance we want Stand By Me by Ben E King, actually M's suggestion which surprised me as he's not at all into music and I love that song so it was perfect. The words are really fitting for our relationship as well, and it has the added bonus of not being too long so less awkward swaying on the spot time!

Cake
    We had already ordered our wedding cake last summer, but unfortunately the business shut down. We want to get Big Bakes Bakery to do our cake, but they only accept orders 10 months in advance so now we have to wait until next year! We're going to have a two tier cake for the cake cutting, and then supplement it with cupcakes and traybakes. They actually reopened for the first time today and had an hour and a half queue through the town :astonished: This was their selection today:

Wedding rings
    Because of the shape on my engagement ring it's looking like I'm going to have something custom made. There's a traditional independent jewellers in town that has a goldsmith in house. My engagement ring was actually a size too big and their shop is the one I took it too to have it resized. Before lockdown happened I went in to get a quote from them about having a custom wedding ring. I want to match the metals so will need 18k gold which bumps up the price a bit, but for a 2mm ring they quoted around £550. They would need my engagement ring to shape it around but it wouldn't have to be sent off anywhere and they estimated it would take 3-4 weeks which I don't think is too bad. I'm probably going to go with them and I expect will get M's ring there too, although his will be easier as we can buy one of their off the shelf rings. He's not thought too much about what he wants yet, but it will need to be a strong metal as he has quite a physical job.
    I've probably forgotten something but I think I'm pretty much caught back up to where I was!

So since I last posted here I've designed and ordered save the dates, paid off and picked up my wedding dress, tried it on with the cover up I ordered in the January sales and bought a veil!

I've not seen my MOH since February so we designed the change the dates over zoom. I couldn't decide whether or not to do save the dates as we'd already sent a message to all our guests telling them about the postponement, but the original save the date was stuck to my fridge door and it was making me sad and I wanted to replace it :joy: plus I really enjoyed doing the envelopes last time so any excuse for another wedding project!

We used the same graphics pack that I bought for the save the dates and I ordered them through Printed again. By the way, they're actually doing 50% for couples that are having to reprint stationary because of postponing, you just have to email their customer service and they add a code to your account!

This is the design:

And how it turned out:

I'm really pleased with them! I'm doing the same envelopes with the liners but I've ordered these stickers from Etsy for sealing the envelopes:

My dress got delivered to the shop during lockdown so last week I went to try it on and pick it up. I had to wear a face mask the whole time so it's not the most bridal I've ever felt but it was still fun, and I still love the dress just as much as when I picked it up which was great and such a relief. I'm glad we postponed though, as my dress was about an inch and a half away from doing up :joy: I wasn't surprised as I have gained weight since I ordered the dress, never thought I would look forward to going to the gym but I can't wait for them to reopen!

I ordered a faux fur coat in the January sales but this was my first chance to see it with the dress, I really like how it turned out! I think it adds nicely to the vintage feel of the dress.

I also bought a veil during my appointment but I forgot to get any photos of it on during my appointment, but this is it on the back of my mum's door :joy:

I think it's meant to be fingertip length but I'm so short it's more like knee length on me . It's a double layer and has a scalloped edge and little teardrop crystals

• MrsH2020MrsH2020 Posts: 218 New bride
    How annoying your thread disappeared! Good job on getting it back up to date though. Love the invite designs - we also got sad looking at our old save the date on our fridge and wanted to do new ones so we could stick the new one over the top.
    Actually the similarities between our weddings continue... stand by me is one of two songs we are seriously considering for our first dance! I absolutely love it, it's great to dance to, and the lyrics are perfect. I'm finding it hard to choose, so just putting that decision off for as long as can.
    How exciting to have picked up your dress - the jacket looks great and definitely gives it that lovely vintage look :)
    @MrsH2020 hahaha that's exactly what I've done! Still didn't want to take the original save the date down so the new one is just stuck over the top of it!

How spooky! It really does feel like we're planning the same wedding sometimes! It's such a lovely song, isn't it? What's your second choice?