Our Afternoon Tea Wedding Report.

• clairemaxiclairemaxi Posts: 167

Hi Thirdthing, Congratulations, you look lovely & both so happy, I love your report. Your flower touches are beautiful, love the idea of having small bunches here & there its so pretty. And I cant think of anything better than a Pimm's receptionimage xx

Looking forward to the rest of your report...

• Thirdthing2Thirdthing2 Posts: 1,288

Sandwiches and cakes

The sandwiches were lovely!  We had requested cucumber sandwiches, egg mayonnaise, smoked salmon and ham, and they were made on a mixture of brown and white bread.  My mum has a gluten free diet and they catered for her really well, with special sandwiches.  There were scones with clotted cream and jam, and also our choice of cakes - carrot (as it is my youngest son's absolute favourite!) and Victoria Sponge - because we thought it was traditional.  Chocolate Brownies were also served.  The portions were ENORMOUS!

I had bought little cupcake flags from ebay - some had the Gruffalo on (as I love the Gruffalo!) and some were vintage floral-y designs.

Thank you, Clairemaxi! image x

• Cajo2013Cajo2013 Posts: 361

Oh I love a proper afternoon tea! Thats what I did for my hen do and what we're having at our drinks reception. Those cakes and scones look ruddy scrumptious! My big day's the 1st June, 6 weeks to go. I hope it's even half as good as yours looks xxx

The china and table linen

I haven't got that many pictures of the china on the day - but it looked beautiful, and definitely worth the efort of collecting my own as we will use it again when we serve tea after the church blessing next week.  Most of it was soured through charity shops, and the linen was all bought from ebay, over the course of a year.  Because of our tight budget, I had a maximum budget of £10 per cloth including postage.  This meant that although I bid on several cloths over the year, I only 'won' about 10% of those I was interested in.  Choosing cloths that 'ended' on a weekday, and/or during the daytime usually gave me a higher chance of getting it.  I also bought napkins.  At firts I bought some embroidered cloths with flowers etc, but realised too many of these would 'fight' with the china, and so I bought most white cloths, either plain or with white embroidery on.  The tables were 30" across, so again I dismissed any that were less than 42", so there was a decent overhang.  It is amazing how many ebay sellers put cloths up for sale and do not mention the sizes!  This can work to your advantage though, as many buyers do not bid on them - I just emailed the seller for dimantions.

I hired the Kings Pattern cutlery from a local china hire company, and I htink it added a finishing touch, or at least, blended in well!

Oooh not long then Cajo2013 - I hope you enjoy your day - and I hope it is warmer and sunnier than our wedding day! x

The wedding cake

As some of you know, we had a problem with Waitrose discontinuing the cake we ordered - or in the colour we wanted anyway - but their customer service is absolutely brilliant and we got this lovely cake instead.  

I can thoroughly recommend it - we had fruit cake and sponge.  I didn't actually get to eat any of the sponge, but the fruit cake bit was scrummy - don't tell my mum but it was even better than her fruit cake - so so moist.

The icing was so delicate and pretty.

I don't think I have any close-ups of the cake at the moment, but it gives you an idea.

• You looked stunning on your day! As does the whole day! Wow! If my wedding could even scratch that i'd be happy!

Thank you very much SMITH-VAUGHN to be!  I have been looking at your ideas earlier - your venue space looks great.  I know you are wanting afternoon tea too - it can be a low cost way of having a wedding, compared to a sit down meal, canapes beforehand etc,  especially as the china is junk shop/charity shop stuff and the cloths etc from ebay.  Our budget was £5000- £5500 (not including engagement ring and my wedding ring) and we will be within that even with the evening do on top next week.  And we are buying the alcohol for that.

I am looking forward to seeing your ideas and plans develop!

Confetti

Originally the enue had said we couldn't have confetti and it would have to be bubbles, but pretty much at the last minute they said real petal confetti would be ok - I loved the Shropshire Petals site, but another bride recommended looking on ebay and I managed to get mine at half the price.

I bought two litres and it easily filled the cones I needed (also from ebay) for our 38 guests.

Aw thank you Lady of the Perfect Manor - I am glad you found this thread!  I know what you mean regarding losing all the followed threads - I lost mine about three months before the wedding and didn't get them back til I was back from honeymoon image  So annoying - I have lost track of lots of peoples weddings and their plans.

Thanks for posting - I didn't think many peopole were reading this, but it  is lovely to hear from you!  What are you up to?x

Wow you sound very busy!!! doing you hairclips sounds exciting!

I will be adding more a little bit later, I htink - I promised to put in some tips which I haven't done so yet, s will add those too. 'Sumptuous' - ha ha, I have never thought of myself as that, a you know!  You are kind image

• TickleyJessTickleyJess Posts: 1,649

Thirdthing - I love everything about your wedding, but most of all I love the little details.  So much care and thought have gone into your decisions and everything looks absolutely stunning as a result.  I keep thinking, 'Ooh - I remember that from your planning thread', which gives it some history image x

Thank you TicklyJess - I have been enjoying yours very much too! image x

• KattiannaKattianna Posts: 272

Ahh thirdthing you looked amazing image I love everything you did, it all looks fantastic. I love the individual buttonholes it's such a lovely idea image

Thank you Kattianna - I wanted the buttonholes to be different - I thought as the ushers ages were 15,16,17 and 24 I thought they'd rather be individual and choose their tie colour.  They appreciated it, I know, I don't think they would have ever agreed on just one colour, and I wasn't bothered abut the ties matching - either each other or the bridesmaid dresses.

• DrBridezillaDrBridezilla Posts: 1,018

Your flowers are amazing image 

Especially the buttonholes! I don't really 'do' flowers but they can really make the day! 

Your cakes have made me very hungry. Oops! xx

Wedding music.

I was really pleased with the music - I had wondered whether it would 'go ' with the venue and we did toy with the idea of a harpist - but decided that, beautiful as harp music is,  it could be too formal for what we wanted, and the question of space in the cafe made us eventually reject the idea.  Also, budget juggling would have meant something else would have to go - probably less flowers etc, so we decided against live music.

Classical music was considered, but rejected as we wanted something more personal, and although there are a few pieces of classical music that mean a lot to me, most of them are slow, sad pieces, but we didn't want that sort of feel to our happy day!

So, before the ceremony we played some of our favourite romantic songs

• Our House, by Crosby Stills and Nash
    • Islands in the Stream, by the Bee Gees
    • Make You Feel My Love, Adele
    • Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol,
    • Perfect Day, Lou Reid
    • What is Life? by George Harrison
    • Lovely Day, Bill Withers
    • All Time Love, by Will Young
    • Never Let her Slip Away, Andrew Gold

I walked in to Anne Murray's 'You Needed Me'.  Because the aisle was so short, I let most of the first verse play before I went in to the room!

Then, for signing of the register, we were advised we would need two songs ... in the event, the signing took longer than we - or the registrar - thought and our register signing songs were played twice each

• Annie's Song, John Denver
    • Make it with you, Bread

And then, for our exit, we chose 'I'm a Believer' by the Monkees.  

We chose to continue with our loosely favourite-romantic-songs-of-the-bride-and-groom -and-their- famiies theme, and I burned them on to two CDs for the reception.  Tracks included

• Amoureuse, Kiki Dee
    • French Waltz, Nicolette Larson
    • Carolina in my Mind, James Taylor
    • Home Again, Carole King
    • Wichita Lineman, Glen Campbell
    • Give a Little Bit, Supertramp
    • The Air that I breathe, Hollies
    • Heart on my Sleeve, Gallagher and Lyle
    • Sweet  Soul Dream, World Party
    • Rule the World, Take That
    • California Dreaming, Mamas and Papas

We narrowed it down to 40 tracks - I found it hard as I love The Smiths and Radiohead, but there was nothing that suitable amongst their stuff, and I didn't want any Beatles music as my ex-husband and I used to play them all the time, so in some ways our choices were restricted but narrowed by trying to think about everyone when we made the lists!

Then I burned a 'best of' of 20 tracks on to CDs for each guest and called it

Re-live the day!

It was lovely as when we came back from our night away, to Steve's mum's house to pick up some things, she was playing our CD in the kitchen and singing away!

And this is how they looked on the table.  If I had a little more budget, I would have got some nice card cases, or maybe tied with ribbon, but they looked ok - definitely home-made!

Thanks DrB - only just saw your ocmments - yes the cakes were yummy - apparently .. I didn't get to eat much, I was a bit too tightly laced to get much food in! image x

• So many congratulations, it looks like an utterly beautiful day!

Thank you Miss_Kitten! x

• Wow what a lovely report, looks like an amazing day. You have great taste, everything looks so classy and elegant. Congratulations on your happy ever after.xx

Thank you giddy kipper!  I appreciate your kind words very much x

The wedding cars

Well, those of you who read my planning report - and posts on threads regarding budget and wedding cars - will know that we were DEFINITELY NOT going to have a wedding car. The prices we were quoted were ludirous - as much as my dress, or as much as the flowers! - and even though I really wanted a VW camper van, we just couldn't afford it.

So the plan was to have taxis - two - one for me, one for the Brdiesmaids - to take us from the hotel to the register office.  There was no need to pay money for all day wedding car hire as the reception was about 20 metres from the register office, and Steve would be driving himself and the ushers to the register office and we would use his car to go away in.

However, nearer the day, the taxi company were saying they couldn't guarantee a large car, and the thought of cramming myself into the back of a Corsa started to worry me.  Also I was worried the taxis could be late... so I sent a cheeky and cheery email to a few wedding car companies three weeks before the wedding, asking if they chad any cars free on my wedding day, and could they do me a bargain price bearing in  mind I only wanted a car for about five or ten minutes!

And I got a lovely email back from a man with just one white RollsRoyce in his 'fleet' who said, since I asked so nicely, he would pick me and the girls up, and take us to the wedidng in style, for a very very reasonable price - even Steve said it wasn't much more than the taxis wanted to charge us!

Here are some pictures ....

It was lovely having the doors opened for us, being helped in with our dresses and flowers and being driven along in style.  My lovely late Dad worked for Rolls Royce (but in the aircraft department) when he and my mum first married, so it was a bit special to me to have a Rolls Royce car on the day.  I didn't think I would like it, but it made me feel really special when people waved at us as we drove past!

And he even waited for Steve and i to come out so we could both have our picture taken with the car!

And

Steve decorated his car with ribbons for the day (from ebay) and even had the car valeted the day before so it was all clean - usually it is used as a bit of a van carrying building materials everywhere, so it was lovely to have it clean and shining and not smelling of paint!

He and the ushers tied cans on the back - I had always wanted to have this at my wedding!  Because Steve is a big fan of diet coke, a couple of the cans were coke cans! We had a lovely 'just married' sticker from cox and cox to go on the back windwo, but Steve forgot to put it on in the rush of getting ready!

Once we drove away, it was really busy for us!  Being parents meant we couldn't just go off and htink of ourselves - we had to get Steve's children's back to their mum, get the ushers suits all collected together and put back in the suit bags ready to go back to Moss Bros, get my younger son's shoes back - they were at Steve's mum's house and the hired ones had to go in the bag to go back .... well, you can imagine,with 6 children between us, even though two are adults, there was a lot to sort out!

In the end, we didn't get away from Horsham until half past 7 - two hours after we left the wedding.  As we headed out on the motorway, the light started to fade, and it was a lovely peaceful feeling,realising we were finally married.  After a burst of excited chatter about the day and the funny bits, and the bits that went wrong but it didn't matter that they HAD gone wrong, we had a long spell of silence, just driving along, with our hands on each other's knees .... it was lovely.

After half an hour or so though, we realised we hadn't really eaten since breakfast.  Not a romantic expensive meal for us on our wedding night - we pulled in at the services and the only food place open was McDonalds.  In the spirit of unity, we each had a quarter pounder with cheese.

I have to say that a McDonald's has never tasted so good.

We were exhausted and just sat there in sience, eating our burgers, holding hands under the table.  I remember thinking as I looked around the virtually deserted services, 'I bet no one in here thinks we have just got married!' and was tempted to shout it out, but my sensible side took over.

As a wedding preseent, my borther and his wife had bought us a night away at a B and b in Sissinghurst in Kent.  It was the lovliest B and B I have ever stayed in - pure relaxation and luxury.  We arrived just after nine and were shown up to a huge and beautiful room.

As we got ready for bed, I kept putting off removing my false eyelashes - I had loved wearing them.  I brushed all the spray out of my hair, removed all my foundation - it took three make-up removing wipes to get it all off! - carefully wiped off the eyeshadow and the lipstick had long gone (I had eaten it along with the quarter pounder!) but couldn't face taking off the lashes.

In the end Steve called through asking what I was doing in the bathroom and to come to bed.   Very reluctantly, I left them on the side of the sink like two little caterpillars - I couldn't face thrwoing them in the bin just yet!

All make up removed, eyelashes still in place.

As we were constantly reminded over the next day or so, the day of our wedding dawned bright and sunny with warmth in the air.  How I wish it had come a day earlier!

We woke up and were shocked to find it was nearly 9 - we had slept for nearly 11 hours straight through.  My bouquet was still looking lovely.

• DreambrideDreambride Posts: 394

What a gorgeous report, thank you for sharing your wonderful day with us.  Your cake pictures are making me hungry LOL, love your flowers and individual buttonholes too- stunning xx

Thank you Dreambride!

Not long to go for you now!image

Stay tuned for an extension to the report as it is my wedding blessing on Saturday and the evening reception x