My New Year's Eve, Candlelit, DIY wedding

Okay, well, here goes.....

I'll start with a sneak peak:

• This is probably going to take some time as I have such a short attention span I can only do fits and starts, but here goes. I'll skip most of the 'courtship' part and just get to the good stuff image.

We met in April 2008, and I knew immediately he was the one. A very bizarre, but lovely feeling! By December 2009 we were living together, and bought our first home in 2011. Later that year, he proposed in our lounge - very unexpected on that day in particular, but absolutely perfect image

• I always knew what type of wedding I would want, and lucky for me, I had a very laidback groom! I wanted to get married back home in Cornwall, at my old parish Church (which was our old school Church) and then a marquee reception. I knew I wanted to be able to pick every detail, from carpet to furniture etc. so a marquee was always the only option really!

• Yaaaaay, I'm so glad you're writing a report! Your planning thread was amazing and from the sneak peeks your day looks incredible - more more more!
  • I also knew I wanted to get married on NYE, for a number of reasons. One, I loved the thought of 'New Year, New beginning' and I liked it that I would be ending one year, and a chapter of my life as a single woman, and moving in the new year as a married one!

I also get really sad when I go to a wedding that winds down at 11 or midnight, when it feels like things are just getting started! So we thought NYE would mean everyone would be up for a bit more of a party, and seeing as the dancefloor was stil packed at 4am, this was the case! image 

Plus, people are generally on leave at that time of year, and looking for something to do - NYE is like marmite, you either love it or hate it, so we thought having our wedding on NYE would eliminate the usual 'What are we going to do this year?' dilemmas.

I then did the typical 'newly engaged' thing of having about a 6-week burst of wedding planning, which then came to an almost immediate halt once the big stuff was booked, which made for a frantic 4/5 months prior to the actual wedding! 

• Thanks littlelovenotes!! I'm trying to remember as much detail as I can - seems like soooo long ago now! image

• First thing was of course - book the Church. Unsurprisingly, with NYE being on a Monday last year, it was available! So we snapped that up and set about booking the land for the marquee. This would turn out to be much more of a challenge than I had ever thought.

In my village back home, there are fields and clifftops aplenty. But only a few of these are 'known' as marquee sites, so, the one I had my heart set on, was a clifftop site, looking out over the sea and across to our village from the other aspect. I should add here, I never had any worries about the marquee being cold. They are so solid nowadays that - provided you supply good heating and prepare for all eventualities - we knew it would be fine.

Anyway, unbeknown to me, the council only allows these marquee sites a licence for a certain number of weddings each year - 10 I think, and of course, as most of the weddings in that region happen in summer - the venue I wanted, was fully booked in terms of all it's licences being used for the year.

GUTTED.

• Grrr - hubby is on at me to go and walk the dog... will be back later!! xxxxx

• Snowy xSnowy x Posts: 1,100

OMG, OMG I've been waiting forever for your report! You looked amazing, as does your venue, you must have been so proud of yourself pulling it all together. there goes my plans for the day, i'll be gripped to this now!

• MrsH2013MrsH2013 Posts: 842

Can't wait for more, looks stunning so far! x

• Thanks all image I will try and do more later today, but I've got to hop off out now with hubby, so if not today, it'll be tomorrow... grrrrrrrr - husbands!image

• Ooh, this looks amazing!!

Looking forward to hearing the full story!

I love your bouquet! image x
  • Ooh looking forward to this one! You look stunning on your big day! The marquee looks amazing! Love your bouquet too! Can't wait for more! image x