A Very Tickley Affair - Our Monochromatic, Designer Wedding Report

Ladies of YAYW - are you sitting comfortably?  I hope so, as I am about to embark upon my wedding report.  So grab a cup of tea (or, better yet, a glass of something fizzy and cold) as I attempt to regale you with the tale of the best day of my life thus far...

And here's a photograph for good measure:

• TickleyJessTickleyJess Posts: 1,649

The Beginning

Firstly, I'm not going to dwell on the details prior to the wedding.  If you would like to read about how Mr Tickley and I met and got together, then that story is to be found in my planning thread.  Similarly, I'm not going to talk about what could have been, as again, that is also in my planning thread.  So, if you'd like to have a read about our love story or the details of the planning, then please click on the link below.

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/a-very-tickley-affair---our-monochromatic-designer-wedding-planning-thread/378350.html

What I will say is that I wasn't one of those little girls who dreamed about her wedding.  I was a little girl who dreamed about becoming an astronaut, or a rally driver.  Getting married just wasn't in my future plans.  That was, until I met Mr Tickley and fell head over heels in love with him.  Contrary to previous relationships, we both knew we wanted to get married three months into the relationship, and two and a half years later, that's exactly what we did...

The Night Before

Our story begins on Friday morning on the 5th April.  Mr Tickley and I had packed up our hired Mercedes convertible (a gift from lovely Daddy-in-law) with all of the wedding bits and bobs and were awaiting my parents.  Mr Tickley would drive to Cambridge on his own before picking up his best man from the station, and my parents and I would take a detour via Stamford so that we could pick up my wedding dress.

Our awesome hire car:

• LouBLouB Posts: 1,129 New bride
    Yay your report! Woop! X

I hope it meets expectations, LouB image x

The Night Before

We travelled to my bridal shop - The Stamford Bridal Rooms - and picked up my dress.  They have been utterly fabulous in every way, and had packed my dress so that it didn't crease despite being in its bag in the car for a good five hours.  I know for a fact that brides travel from miles around to visit the shop, as one of my London-based friends bought her Lyn Ashworth from there, despite living in central London and only leaving a month to buy the dress.  They only see one bride at a time and close the shop while you're there, so it's worth booking in advance.

• LivelifeloveLivelifelove Posts: 1,024 New bride
    Ooooo I'm sitting comfortable but with a glass of lemonade....!!! image
  • LouBLouB Posts: 1,129 New bride
    I'm sure it willimage
  • Thirdthing2Thirdthing2 Posts: 1,288

Oooh TicklyJess and Near-date-twin!  Can't wait to read your report!  I hope you will enjoy writing it as much as I am writing mine - so lovely to re-live the day!  Please add more soon! x

That'll do, Pinkstars image x

Thirdthing - it's coming up! x

The Night Before

We then went along to the rehearsal.  It was very odd standing in Peterhouse Chapel dressed in Joules and a pair of ballet flats when I knew I'd be stood in the exact same spot the following day in my gown and Choos.  Mr Tickley and I had to say our vows to one another and we talked about where everyone would stand.  If you can have a rehearsal beforehand, especially for a church ceremony, then do.  The experience was invaluable, as it made me consider which side of my father I would stand on, who I would hand my bouquet to and who would sort out my train when I knelt. 

A word of advice - I knew from graduating that when you kneel down, if you're wearing a gown, then if it isn't moved, you risk falling over when you stand up, especially in heels.  At Cambridge, one of the attendants had a stick when we graduated, purely to flick our gowns over our heels to stop us from falling when we stood up.  I wouldn't recommend a stick, but I would suggest having a bridesmaid or close friend on hand to adjust your dress if it is very long.

A sneak peek of the chapel on the day:

The Night Before

Next it was down the M11 to Barrington Hall.  Our families had never seen Barrington before and it was wonderful seeing it set up for our wedding.  We spent a couple of hours putting out favours and individual menu cards, accompanied by Barrington's resident cats.  There were about eight of us altogether, and I'm so glad there were, as there was lots to do.  Fluffing pom poms turned out to be the most difficult task, as none of us could do it without creating a monstrosity.  They looked alright on the day though, which is all that mattered.

• Ooo sounds lovely so far image keep writing lol xx
    I certainly will do, jellybean. I've had a glass of champers though, so I don't know if it's advisable to write it while I'm squiffy image x
  • No that's fine lol xx
  • LL1810LL1810 Posts: 417
    Keep it coming! Champagne alsoimage

Everything looking great so far!  So elegant! x

• OnlyaNinjaOnlyaNinja Posts: 322

Woo! Can't wait for the rest!

Meant to say, I love the black pom poms! x

Please have a look at my vintage afternoon tea wedding report  here at

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-wedding-reports/our-afternoon-tea-wedding-report/387867.html

LL - I'll get back on it today.  Probably not the champagne thoughimage

Thirdthing - thank you!  I'm glad you like the pom poms - they were a bit of a labour of love.

OnlyaNinja - thank you image

Lady - it seems to have come and gone so quickly, so I do know what you mean image

x

The Night Before

A lovely moment came when Mr Tickley's mother presented us with her gift: a wedding quilt.  It was such a beautiful piece and I was so touched as it must have taken her hours to make.  The 'Lovers' Knot' was a defining part and was just beautiful.  It will definitely become a family heirloom and be something that we can pass down to our children in the future.

The Night Before

It was then time to travel back into Cambridge and check in to the Doubletree Hilton.  The hotel was amazing and ever so helpful (apart from during one moment of panic, which I'll talk about later).  We were even given a warm cookie on arrival, which was met with a look of horror from me as I was carrying my bagged wedding dress and veil.

Mr Tickley and I would stay in the penthouse suite for the Saturday night, but I had it to myself for the Friday night given that I would need lots of space the following morning for my bridesmaids to come and get ready with me.  The views across Cambridge were glorious and I could see Peterhouse clearly from the rooftop terrace, which caused me to pause and consider several times that there was the place where I would marry Mr Tickley the following day.  A lovely thought.

The best part was that I could see Peterhouse Chapel from the terrace.  I kept musing that this is where I'd be getting married tomorrow!

The Night Before

I unwrapped my dress, and as I said before, there was not a crease in sight.  I also took my veil out and draped it across two coat hangers, given how long it was.  It was in fact so long, to accommodate my veil, that I had to have it made bespoke.  My veil was made by the lovely Helen Martin of Norfolk in silk tulle.  She turned it round very quickly, and I had it within two weeks of ordering (I left it a bit late).

My dress hung up and ready for me:

• MrsJCMrsJC Posts: 2,204
    I love the quilt, Jess - what an amazing surprise! And your dress looks fantastic on the hanger, never mind on youimage

Hi MrsJC!  Yes - the quilt was amazing and we were both so touched.  It's such a lovely present.  There'll be plenty more pictures of the dress coming up image x

I've realised this is probably going to turn into quite an epic thread.  I apologise in advance for its length, though I promise there'll be lots of pictures! (I'm not sure why they appear smaller than on my planning thread though - hmm...) x

The Rehearsal Dinner

We had some downtime in the hotel for a little while before we had to head out for our rehearsal dinner.  Around fourteen friends came along for the night and we had a really lovely time.  We went to Bill's in Cambridge, which if you haven't been to, I would recommend.  It was very reasonable and the food was delicious.

It was lovely to have a meal with friends the night before the wedding, as on the day itself, I found that although I did get round and talk to everyone, often it was only in snatches of conversation, rather than longer chats.  So, it was nice to be able to have some lovely food and relax with friends and family.  It was a very informal affair, and there were no speeches or anything, but I liked it that way.

In terms of food and drink, I had a burger and a couple of glasses of wine!  I figured that if I was going to get a little bloated for the wedding, then it would happen anyway, so I would just relax and enjoy myself.

I managed six and a half hours sleep on Friday night, which I largely thank the wine forimage

• LivelifeloveLivelifelove Posts: 1,024 New bride
    I love the Bill's chain. Their breakfasts are gorgeous!

I am drooling over the quilt. How absolutely beautiful and so thoughtful. What a special piece to hand down.
  • MrsJCMrsJC Posts: 2,204
    We're having dinner at our hotel the get before our wedding, and we're inviting any guests that are also staying to join us. The restaurant is buffet style, really yummy and very relaxed, just what I'll need to help me manage the stress!

Numbers are rising by the day, and the invites haven't even gone out yet!! I think we're up to 18 people already! I'm really looking forward to it - I think it will be a lovely way to kick off the weddingimage

Don't worry about it being a long thread - the longer the better as far I'm concernedimage
  • CasamamaCasamama Posts: 123

This looks beautiful,  looking forward to reading the rest.

Wow that quilt is absolutely amazing and a wonderful gift you will treasure forever.  What a lovely thought and idea - I may pinch it for when  my daughter gets married! x

• KattiannaKattianna Posts: 272

Loving your report so far. I hope it is an epic one as I'm enjoying reading it. The quilt is beautiful and such a thoughtful gift. image