Coral & Aqua..... Beach theme with a hint of buttons:)

Whilst sitting here watching an episode of 'Don't tell the bride' I thought it was a perfect time to start my planning thread. I am having so much fun planning and collecting ideas that I think I would be gutted to have to hand over all responsibilities to my OH, lol. 

How we met...

Online! Although remembering who made the first more is a little cloudy. The general agreement was that he messaged first, we chatted a bit and then I went away for the summer to teach abroad. When I returned I went back online and saw his photo again. He looked familiar and so I messaged him and we realised we had spoken before image. After dating for just under a year I moved in with him... And his gorgeous puppy who is now totally my baby!!

Proposal...

After 5 years of dating and him continually joking that he wouldnt pop the question any time soon I would never have thought that he had been secretly planning for months on popping the question in my 30th birthday party. He had even told some of our close friends.

One night after a few drinks (oops...!) at his Sisters house we were sitting at the computer playing music on YouTube. He told me to come and sit on his knee and he put on the song 'All I want is you' by U2 and quietly asked me. 

We went ring shopping that weekend and soon changed my 30th party into a joint engagement party image 

• Josiejo2014Josiejo2014 Posts: 188

Obligatory picture of the ring we choseimage

Venue...

I am originally from Swansea but now live in Bridgend. Trawling around venues was not G's ( my OH) idea of fun.... However me and my mum saw it as a perfect way to spend a weekend. We had a look at venues in both places and narrowed it down to one in Bridgend and one in Swansea. After showing G the one in Swansea ( and my fav) he really liked it and wasn't interested in seeing the other venues image. A week or so later we booked the date.... Saturday 26th July 2014..... The day after G's 31st Birthday. 

Here are some pics. It is a lovely Georgian house which is right by the sea image 

This is where the ceremony will take place with chairs layer out either side of the aisle.

However.... Weather permitting we can have an outdoor ceremony image fingers crossed xx

Colour theme.....

I have really enjoyed looking at colour theme ideas and although my plan is to let the bridesmaid dresses make the ultimate decision I do have a favourite theme or Coral & Aqua. 

• MrsM2014MrsM2014 Posts: 223

Hi JosieJo - Will be reading this thread with interest. We are almost date buddies, I have booked for Friday 25th July 2014, so will be hoping that the weather is kind to us too.  image

Your venue looks lovely and the ceremony room looks beautiful.  Love the idea that you can choose to be outside as well image

xx

• LeaBLeaB Posts: 1,706

Yay same colours as me xxx

Beach theme....

As the venue is by the sea, and after seeing lots of cute beachy ideas I thought this would be a perfect theme. I also think the colours work well with this theme. 

I found some large square mirrored plates and fish bowls at a bargain price so I have ordered some and plan to use them as table centres. I like the idea that they can all be the same but decorated differently.

We have also hired a vintage ice cream trike for the guests to have unlimited icecream instead of canapés image 

Hi MrsM & Lea_B...

It is so nice to know that other people are interested in reading my thread image

I am so hoping for nice weather as getting married outside will be lush.... Plus our photographer ( photos to follow) is incredible and really want to have some nice outside shots.

Lea.... I will be nosing at ur thread now for colour ideas. Xxxx

Hehe feel free x 

Food.... image

We decided quite early on that we didn't want the traditional 3 course meal. G fancied a hot roast ( like a Hog Roast but not necessarily pork), so we are having that for the evening with hot potatoes, salads, bread etc. 

For the wedding breakfast we are having a two course. We have chosen rustic deli style sharing platters with meats, pâté, cheese, breads, dips etc. yum!! Then we will have some sort of more traditional dessert.

• LivelifeloveLivelifelove Posts: 1,024 New bride

Hi I'm a 2014 bride too but I'm march and definitely not by the beach! Your colour scheme is gorgeous and definitely matches shells. 

I'm looking forward to reading more. 

Ps - I'm addicted to " Don't tell the bride"!!! 

Cake.....important stuff!!     If you are wondering where the buttons bit in my thread title come from here it is!!   As well as being the quirky art teacher part time, I also have my own business making pretty things out of buttons ( shameless plug here for those of you who are interested www.facebook.com/buttonsbyjo www.facebook.com/buttonsbyjopage )    I really like the idea of including buttons into the wedding somehow without it going overboard. When I saw this cake I basically took this picture to a baker and said 'Please make me this!' image.... When I went to see her example t was gorgeous and she added little pearly balls to it too. Plus the cake was yummy image  

I love it because it looks traditional but when you look closer it is a bit quirky like me image

I am also considering making these button buttonholes in coral and aqua for some of the wedding partyimage

Thanks pinkstars image xx

Photographer....

I am so excited about our photographer, I love how arty and unique they are.  If anyone is looking for a photographer in South Wales I would definitely suggest looking at his website  http://www.nickmurrayphotography.co.uk/ 

I hope we have lovely weather!!

Bridesmaids....

I asked them all at lastknew have known for months who they would be but after reading horror stories of people regretting their choices I was trying to hold off asking them. They have all been so interested though and helpful ( without having to be) that I knew they would be good choices.

Here is a pic of the Hearts that I gave them. They all loved them and there were lots of smiles and tears.

I have four bridesmaids in all... Gary's niece, my oldest school friend and two other friends, one of which I loved with in college. Xxxx

After browsing some ideas of dresses with the bridesmaids it seems we all like the idea of long floaty ones.

Bargain alert!!

i found ties like this in Primark. I need 9 of them for the men in the wedding party and for £2 each I thought I couldn't go wrong. They are a beautiful colour and feel like real silk.... Hope they will go well with the bridesmaid dresses we will eventually buy image

• si87si87 Posts: 70

Lovely thread! I love the idea of button bouquets image 

Thank you.... Iv recently seen this pic and am wondering if I can combine buttons into a bouquet like this....

Are those succulents? They are really unusual. A friend of mine had them as wedding favours image

• DollyBDollyB Posts: 1,730 New bride

Aww I am in love with your wedding thread already!

Your colour scheme is beautiful and I absoutely love your cake! The buttons are so cute! I have wedding planning envy image

Looking forward to reading more!! xxx

Aww... Thanks Dollyimage 

Futuremrsingy.... Are you on about the green things? I'm not sure. I showed my Nanna and she said she thought they were artichoke heads. I thought they looked like them but didn't know that they were a flower as such.

can anyone shed any light?! Xxx 

I got my ties for a bargain too reduced to £3 from debenhams.

Pretty sure these are succulents image

Thank you....  I will definitely look into these image

Lea... I love a bargain!! I figured for £18, if we changed our mind it was a risk worth taking image 

• PersephonePersephone Posts: 83

Gardening lover here. Defo succulents

Men...

My fiancé doesn't like the idea of full on suit with cravat etc. He wants to go a bit more casual but still smart and is thinking a waist coat and trousers, with the skinny aqua ties I bought the other day....like this photo.

I think it looks cool and modern. image

Seaside inspiration....

Shell bouquet.... Not sure if I would miss flowers though.

I like the idea of having candles outside in the evening image

Name place ideas image

Bouquet .....

After having a look at online price lists for bouquets i have been having a play around with making my own today. Thought I'd add a few buttons in there too to see how it looked. I really can't jusify spending £70 on my bouquet and £30 on my four bridesmaids.

what do you think of the bouquet... And any guesses on how much it cost me to make? A clue for you.... It's a LOT less than £70image