Our Rustic Greek Outdoor Wedding

124»

• MrsH2013MrsH2013 Posts: 842

Decorations

I decided not to take too much out to Rhodes with me as we only had limited space in our luggage and I kinda wanted the venues to speak for themselves. I'm a firm believer of dressing a space to suit the surrounding so I kept everything very simple and understated. We managed to hire a few bits like the festoon lights, lanterns, jam jars and table runners and Melenos provided the flowers, tablecloths, chair covers and charger plates for free. 

• cherrydropcherrydrop Posts: 904

I luuurrrrve all you photos!! So pretty! And the one with you and your hubby with no heads would make brilliant Thankyou cards!

Thank you! That's the one we've used I'll post a pic up later image xx

• Stalkers here again!! Every time see an update on your thread I get excited!! It really makes me feel like I was there! 

thats the paper I got from the works too!! I wanted some glitter card, I really want to do my own invites but I'm crap with technology things! Ha! 

The photo with no heads is a cracker!! Really could be an album cover!! I love the fact your tog has captured the details in such a stylish way!! Magazine worthy shots if you ask me! image That's what I need a photographer that captures the littlle things! Are all the pics you got sort of instagrammed? (The effect on them, this shows the lack of my knowledge on the technical term!!) 

But I must say that you could of brought me back those charger plates for my big day!! image They are gorgeous!! I'll let you off though!!image

• MrsB2B:)MrsB2B:) Posts: 244

Oh love this report! The pictures are stunning it looks all soo romantic! 

• Cajo2013Cajo2013 Posts: 361

What a beautiful wedding! I always feel a lot of weddings abroad are very samey, which is understandable when planning from a distance, but yours is so totally unique, I love it. Especially love the donkeys! My daughter saw the photo of the donkeys before and said, oh wow Mummy a bride and groom on donkeys, you and Daddy should have had that!

Your dress is gorgeous, what a talented Auntie, it looks really light and airy but still very bridal. Big congrats to you and your hubby.

PS. love your tatts x

Haha my glittery stalker! I guess it's ok seeing as we stalk each other!image 

I think the photos were edited slightly to give that look but I've seen some of the unedited ones and alot of it is how he's captured the light! It's very much his style so I knew he'd make us look great! 

haha I thought they'd be made out of ceramic but those charger plates were just stiffened doilies - reackon you could make them yourself with some corn starch! 

Thanks MrsB2B - just need to bloody update more, I'm so lazy with it! 

Thanks Cajo2013! I felt the same when I first looked into weddings abroad, I think alot of bits come with a package and maybe for most people that means less hassle! I was very lucky with the venues and planners as they hired a few bits and the venue didn't need much but would love to see some more unique abroad weddings - I think I've seen a few on here recently actually image

haha every wedding needs a pair of donkeys! Yeah my Aunty is so talented, I'm going to show her all these msgs as she doesn't believe it! x

Being a Greek wedding the first thing they did when we sat down was give us a lovely (or disgusting for most) shot of ice cold Ouzo! We knew Ouzo was pretty gross but we wanted to be authentic and it was funny seeing peoples looks of disgust after they necked it!

We decided to do the speeches first as my Dad and the best men were nervous and it was a great way to kick off the evening!

My Dad's speech as so cute! It was very personal and funny but he make me cringe and everyone was laughing and enjoying it!

He also put together a little slide show of me and MrH growing up until we got engaged which I thought was super sweet and thoughtful!

As MrH had 4 best men, they did a speech each but broken down almost as a timeline as they have all known him at different times of his life. All 4 did an amazing job and everything was very heartfelt. It made us feel very lucky to have all these amazing people with us (and saying nice things about us!) 

Food!

Me and MrH love our food! That was a big reason why we chose our menu, it sounded delicious and an authentic taste of Greece! We had 6 (!!!) courses and every course was beauitfully dressed on the plate and bought out together - my favourite bit about being a birde was that I got my food first! 

Yum yum yum

Unfortunately I suffer from MAJOR acid reflux and due to nerves I got it bad during the meal! Melenos were so helpful though as they kept me going with lots of glasses of milk - they even disguised it in a teapot (when we had after dinner coffee) as they knew I didn't want anyone to know what was wrong! It was such a shame as I barely got to eat anything but from what I hear that's quite common for brides anyway. Although we had so much food, everything was well spaced out so no one felt too full to dance . . .

• maggi68maggi68 Posts: 166

I love this report! Your wedding just sounds amazing! We are getting married in Corfu next year and you have given me so much inspiration and so many ideas! Thanks

Aw thank you maggi68 - happy to have inspired another abroad wedding image 

After dinner we spent abit longer just chatting and watching the sun go down and the lanterns turn on. It was such a beautiful setting and we could of stayed there all night, however I needed to get my dance on!!!

Melenos is a boutique hotel and is quite tranquil sothey don't allow loud music which is far enough as it's a small hotel and guestswould be disturbed. 

We orginally had booked a barin the centre of the village but they wanted a 1000 euro bar spend and we just didn't want that pressure. It was the only part of our wedding that was stressful as we wanted somewhere to dance the night away and most bars in Lindos have to switch the music off at midnight due to sound restrictions. This didn't really work with our timings but once we got to Lindos we realised there were quite a few places that could accomodate us!

On our hen/stag nights we went to a play called Zouk bar which was gorgeous inside, exposed stone work with moroccan style lanterns everywhere and the music and atmosphere was great! In a moment of desperation (the day before the wedding) we asked our planner about this bar and whether they could do anything for us. 

We were in luck as one of our planners knew the owner really well and he agreed to section off an area for us, the dj wouldplay our music and they'd display and serve our cake all for free! Although it wasn't quite the exclusive venue we wanted it turned out that we took up most of the bar anyway and the few people that were in there were really friendly so it worked out so well!

Notice I have a drink in both handsimage

First Dance

We faffed about with this so much!! Although we are both really into music we didn't really have 'our song'. We both had a few contenders but didn't really agree - at one point we just said we weren't going to bother but so many people told us off haha - peer pressure!

I wanted: 

New Found Glory - Kiss Me

Blink 182 - First Date

Alkaline Trio - Every Thug Needs A Lady - acoustic

Bright Eyes - First Day of My Life. 

I think MrH would of been fairly happy with any of those but I kinda wanted him to choose as I felt that was more romantic! 

His choices were: 

City and Colour - We Found Each Other In The Dark

The Lumineers - Ho Hey

Bon Iver - Holocene

AND THE WINNER IS . . . 

City and Colour!! 

For some reason I can't find our official photos so these are guest ones!

I'm glad we had a first dance but I'm glad our DJ got bored after a few minutes and switched songs as I wanted to go back to dancing to pop punk and snoop dogg!

Cake!

We decided to go for cupcakes just for ease and I think they look good displayed! We went for 40 vanilla and chocolate mix with pink or white icing. To be honest we could of halved the number but I suppose then our hotel cleaners wouldn't of been so lucky (we gave them a whole box to eat!)

I found the cake examples fairly basic in Rhodes so I searched for ages to a topper or something to liven them up abit!

I ended up with a peg doll cake topper ( which I made and now sell - PLUG PLUG PLUGimage

I also bought over lace laser cut cupcake wraps 

So that's it guys - end of part one! 

We really had the most magical and perfect wedding in Lindos and we feel so happy to have amazing friends and family that made it so amazing! 

Next up is the party back home featuring lots of DIY, a 2nd outing of my dress and a certain mexican band you may of seen on tv . . .

• BanariBanari Posts: 1,847

Wow MrsH I can't believe I havnet read this report before...your wedding looks amazing, all of your photos are stunning, you look so happy and relaxed and your dress is beautiful.

the photos with your dad are fantastic, I really must remember to get the photographer to stand to behind me for when my dad arrives. It's definitely a picture to cherish.

i love the donkeys too, but then obviously I am biased as the donkeys at our venue were one of the main selling points!

the headless picture is brilliant and your comment about old people's response to it made me laugh image

It looks like it was a perfect day in the truest sense of the word...looking forward to part 2 image

Thanks Banari! I seem to be under the radar on here haha but I've had lots of lovely comments so I can't moan too muchimage 

I would definitely recommend it, it was so natural capturing my dad like that and I didn't realise just how emotional a moment it would be! 

Ah yeah I remember seeing some cheeky donkeys in your thread - they should be at every wedding haha

x

• I absolutely love all your first dance choices. image We have Kiss Me in our wedding video.

I thought you mightimage Our guests had a bet on which song our first dance would be and they all thought it would be Kiss Me but Rob doesn't like NFG image. The DJ played it for me anyway yeaah! I need to see your wedding video, is it online? 

MrH made a wedding slideshow of our wedding photos so if anyone has nothing better to do here it is ...

Our Wedding Video

• We haven't got the video yet - we're being sent a DVD but he's going to do a highlights clip too so I'll give you a link to that when we have it. image

Yey image Can't wait to see it!

• PoppinsPoppins Posts: 3,146

Aww the video is gorgeous!!! Xx

• JodielouJodielou Posts: 4,058

Love the slideshow of your wedding pics!  How did your hubby do it?  I've been contemplating doing something similar...x

Aw thanks image. We have a mac so did it in iPhoto. I'm sure you could download software to do it?! It was really simple though! 

• Oh love the vid!! Way have already asked you/read this but what was your confetti made from? Stamped hearts? I thought it looked really effective!! image

I just love the cake toppers!! Mr Monday is away working at the min but I'm going to show him them! How long do they take to do? I need to choose my accessories yet! The more I see that headpiece the more I adore it!! Xx

• JodielouJodielou Posts: 4,058

Thanks you Mrs H- I'll  have a play! x

• Wow just read all of your report it looks fab congratulations!!

were wanting to get married abroad but can't decide where Greece or Cyprus just want it all nice and relaxed and some sunshine!!

yours looks amazing tho! Xx