Our perfect day- recommendations

When I first started to plan our wedding I was so overwhelmed by everything and didn't have a clue where to start. These forums helped me no end. I loved reading about everyone elses ideas, recommendations and looking at pictures to help inspire ideas for our big day!

Our big day was three months ago and we're now happily settled into married life. Now things have calmed down a little, I wanted to write a little something about the people who helped make our day run so smoothly, calmly and really made it feel like the best day of our lives. I'm hoping other people will find it useful too. I will try to include some photos, which always makes these threads more interesting image

Wedding venue:

We got married at Clandon Park in Surrey. It was the first place we saw and nothing compared it to after looking at other venues. Susie, the Wedding Coordinator was on hand every step of the way to help with ideas, suggestions and advice. On the day she looked after everyone so well. My mum was really poorly and had to go home half way through the wedding breakfast, but Susie looked after her and cheered her up when my mum got so upset about being ill. All the staff were fantastic and coped very well with lots of drunken Aussies! Despite the weather being a bit temperamental, we managed to get some great shots outside. To be honest though the venue was so beautiful inside, that we really didn't mind staying inside!

Hair & Make up

My hair and make up was done by a lady called Paula, from Truly Scrumptious in Surrey. She was absolutely amazing. From the hair trial, through to the big day, Paula was on hand to keep my calm on the wedding morning and managed to do all my hair and make up, as well as a large proportion of the wedding party in the space of a few hours. My hair didn't move all day and my five year old flower girls hair still looked great at the end of the night, despite her break dancing on the dance floor all evening!Paula had had a family tragedy a few days before the wedding, however turned up on the morning with a smile on her face and was so professional. It wasn't until I spoke to my mum later in the day that I realised what had happened, but Paula didn't want to say anything and make me worry on my big day. I cannot recommend, or thank Paula enough.

Photographer:

Stephen Duncan (based in Winchester) came recommended to us through a family memeber and we certainly weren't disappointed. What a guy!! We had a pre-wedding shoot a few weeks before the wedding at the venue, so it gave us a chance to relax around each other and discuss various photo options for the big day. Stephen was patient with us whilst we got used to being in front of the camera and also came up with some fantastic ideas and shots. Within 24 hours the photos were up online for us to see. We then sat down together and discussed which shots were really important to us and which group of people we really didn't want to miss out on having pictures with. On the day he managed to get every shot we were after. He managed to get the group shot (125 people) in just a few minutes, with everyone engaged and looking at the camera- that's no mean feat! Within a few days the photos were up online (password protected) for us to view and pass onto our friends and family. A slide show to music was also put together. We now have a USB stick with all the photos on (high res and low) for us to do as we please with. A really great guy! I will come back and upload some of his best shots on here soon.

Videographer

We found Henry Buxton on here very last minute, after deciding we really wanted to have our wedding on DVD. Without giving Henry much guidance on what we were after, we left...

• MrsB-HMrsB-H Posts: 70

part 2:

...him to it on the day and we weren't disappointed. He managed to capture some great moment from the day and edited them all to our wedding song and a selection of other chosen tracks. Within a couple of weeks, we received a DVD through the post, beautiful presented (it looks like a blockbuster movie!!). The film evoked so many emotions that I couldn't help but well up whilst watching it. Henry is fairly new to the wedding videography market, but still managed to produce a very professional DVD that we will keep forever.  I would highly recommend Henry!

The dress!!

I literally didn't have a clue what kind of dress I wanted, so spent a long time trailing through the shops, trying on numerous dresses. If i'm honest I didn't enjoy the experience at all. I found some shops either turned their noses up at you, or they just wheeled you in and out as quickly as possible. I then went to Teokath in Wimbledon (in Elys) and it was a wonderful experience- everything you would expect. It was a beautiful, light and airy store with hundreds of dresses. I was the only girl in there the first time I visited (appointment only) and the second time there were one or two others in there. The staff we so friendly and nothing was too much trouble. I couldn't decide between two dresses and kept asking to try each one on again, which they didn't seem to mind (well if they did, they didn't show it!) I finally settled on a stunning Pronovias gown, which even now I look at it and can't believe I got to wear it.

Florist:

Our Florist, Tabitha (Florish) was fantastic. We didn't realise before we booked her but she has actually been a wedding coordinator at our wedding before becoming a Florist, so she knew exactly what worked/ didn't work and was on hand to recommend advice and make suggestions. I was sooooo pleased with my bouquet and how the venue was decorated. It was simple, yet very elegant!