A Modern, Elegant Wedding Report

13»

• MrsJCMrsJC Posts: 2,204

Signed, Sealed, Delivered

After P had finished reading, we moved to one side to sign the register:

J began to play the music that we had arranged for this section of the day, three of our favourite movie themes (we’d had another selection played while the guests were being seated). The first one was Raiders March, better known as the Indiana Jones theme tune.

In what was absolutely my favourite moment from the day, and a memory that I will cherish forever, as soon as our guests recognised what it was, everyone laughedimage. My MIL mentioned this later in the day, telling me that it was a perfect choice - it struck just the right notes of excitement, achievement and adventure ahead.

Thinking about it now, I really am so happy with all our choices. We put a lot of thought into the readings and the music we picked, and they made it very personal and very ‘us’. I definitely recommend taking your time over these elements - it was what made our ceremony feel so special.

Signing the register didn’t take anywhere near as long as I thought it would. I’ve been to other weddings where it seemed to take forever, and now that I’ve done it, I really have absolutely no idea what took so long!

By the time we’d signed everything, and our Mums (who were our witnesses) had signed everything, and we’d had a photo taken with our Mums, J had only just started the second of our three movie themes, which was Jurassic Park.

MrJC knew how much I wanted to hear at least some of the last one, which was a piece taken from the first Harry Potter film, so we spent the next few minutes desperately trying to drag the whole thing outimage!

So, not only did we get a picture of us with our Mums (in which I appear to have been replaced with a shop dummy!):

We got one with our BMs, and another with our best man and ushers, and yet another with our Dads too! We were starting to run out of people we could get away with dragging in for photos but thankfully, once we had taken our time standing up and getting back to the top of the aisle, J had made it to Harry Potter, and we managed to get a good few bars inimage.

• MrsGB2015MrsGB2015 Posts: 3,480 New bride
    MrsJC wrote (see)

Hi, MrsGB2B2015 - I know what you mean, we had to use a LOT of imagination when we first saw the Riverside Suite (which is the smaller of the two function suites, and the one that we used).

I'm glad we kept the faith though - it worked beautifully for us. The Beaumont Estate is lovely too though - we didn't view it, but I definitely checked out the website during our venue hunt!

Yea it was so hard to imagine and im not too good with that and the H2B was so laid back and left most to me we just didn't get the same feel as we did with the Beaumont but it does look lovely in your pics - My friend is also getting married soon so I will deffo recommend Runneymede now I can see how beautiful it can look image

Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

"The greater your storm, the brighter your rainbow"

Mr & Mrs JC

To mark the end of our wedding ceremony, the registrar asked our guests to stand for the new Mr and Mrs JC so we could make our way out. I love this unusual photo of us waiting to leave the ceremony room, where you can see all our guests too. It’s one of my favourites:

Finally, J began to play our exit song, the Main Theme from Star Wars, and we made our way our way back down the aisle as husband and wifeimage!

Top Tip #9 - If there’s a song you really want to hear during your wedding, think about whether it would work during the signing of the register rather than for your exit. I was really looking forward to our Star Wars exit, but everyone was clapping so much I couldn’t hear it, and I doubt anyone else could either!

• MrsGB2015MrsGB2015 Posts: 3,480 New bride
    MrsJC wrote (see)

Mr & Mrs JC

To mark the end of our wedding ceremony, the registrar asked our guests to stand for the new Mr and Mrs JC so we could make our way out. I love this unusual photo of us waiting to leave the ceremony room, where you can see all our guests too. It’s one of my favourites:

Finally, J began to play our exit song, the Main Theme from Star Wars, and we made our way our way back down the aisle as husband and wifeimage!

Top Tip #9 - If there’s a song you really want to hear during your wedding, think about whether it would work during the signing of the register rather than for your exit. I was really looking forward to our Star Wars exit, but everyone was clapping so much I couldn’t hear it, and I doubt anyone else could either!

Love these b&w shots so beautiful hun. image

Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

"The greater your storm, the brighter your rainbow"
  • LouBLouB Posts: 1,129 New bride

So beautiful! Loving the ring situation, and your first kiss as husband and wife, woop!

The final B&W photo is just gorgeous, the emotion in your face gets me close to tears!

I'm going to PM you now anyway, near neighbour image x

• GMH24GMH24 Posts: 227

I've loved reading about your day so far, looks like you had a beautiful day! Some good little tips as well, I'm going to have to take note

I love your table plan as well, I'm hoping to have something very similar, where did you get your mirror from? x

• KK12KK12 Posts: 927

Ahhh lovely to be reading your wedding report Mrs JC - we are also choosing our music very carefully for our ceremony and also we have a vintage bus transporting our guests from the reception venue to the ceremony venue and back so there is plenty of music to be thinking about! image x

Ah! Gosh! Replies! I'm not sure how I missed theseimage

MrsGB2B2015 - Thank you! A lot of my faves are B&W

LouB - Yes, you really can. That's what I love about them. Also, I haven't replied to your PM either! Eek! Will do that now.

GMH24 - I'm glad you're enjoying it, and I'd be really happy if my experiences helped you. I got the mirror from Dunelm - I found that they had the best selection at the best price.

KK12 - Picking the music was really hard, but it did make such a difference. I'm glad we persevered until we were both really happy. That bus sounds awesome!

Sorry for the break in transmission, I've got a few more posts for you all now!

Let’s get Fizzical!

As we left the ceremony room, Phil was waiting for us with a tray on which there were two glasses of fizz, specially decorated with strawberries. We weren’t expecting this, and it was a lovely surprise!

We went straight into the conservatory area that was reserved for us, and within a few minutes we were joined by our guests. I have to say the conservatory was a lovely space for a drinks reception - spacious and light with enough seating for anyone that needed it without the room feeling crowded.

That first 15 minutes was such a whirlwind - everyone wanted to talk to either me or James, and no sooner had I started a conversation with one old friend when I another accosted me - over and over again! I seemed to be dashing around the room at breakneck speed greeting people. More tears threatened when I saw my very close friend E, who I haven’t seen in 3 years since she moved to Australia and who came home especially for the wedding. I couldn’t keep track of MrJC at all - every time we got together, we found different groups of people calling us and we drifted apart again.

I ended up having to bustle my dress at this point, which I was a tiny bit sad about - I wanted to swish around with my train until the meal at least, but it people kept standing on it so I got MrJC to do it for me. He had no idea what I was talking about, but I was able to guide him quite successfully to the button and the thread. He’s a star!

Meanwhile, the Runnymede staff were kept very busy serving glasses of prosecco. We had allowed two glasses per person, but actually ended up serving more than that - I think we opened another 5 bottles in the end, which meant our 70 guests drank about was about an extra 30 glasses on top of our initial allowance of 140 glasses.

The Runnymede were very good at predicting things like this, and asked before the day how we wanted to handle situations like running out of drinks from the package. We could have chosen to stop serving the fizz and had staff direct our guest to the bar instead, but we pre-authorised the extra bottles in case they were needed.

Top Tip #10 - We were so pleased that the Runnymede prompted us like this. If, like us, your venue is providing the alcohol, they’ll probably do the same - but if they don’t make sure you’ve thought about it and discussed it with them in advance, as it will make things easier and smoother on the day.

Eat, drink and be merry

There were also lots of lovely canapes, and as promised, the Runnymede made lots of effort to make sure that James and I got the canapes, and I definitely got to try the tomato arancini, the goat’s cheese filo parcels (my faves) and the mini crab jacket potatoes - they were yummy! I was a bit sad not to try the mini burgers, but they had ketchup on, which I don’t like. They did look good though!

Helen and Ryan were snapping away, and we got some fabulous pictures from this time. This is me and my brother, usher N:

And I love this unusual one of a guest (I think it’s my cousin A, but I’m not totally sure) taking a photo with his phone:

Then Helen decided the time was right for our group photo and started to herd everyone outside - which proved to be really quite difficult!

A nice day for a white wedding?

Erm… no! Unfortunately notimage. Very sadly, despite the glorious summer and autumn we had, and the fact that the week leading up to our wedding was unseasonably warm, the weather let us down on the day.

It didn’t rain that hard at any point, but it drizzled persistently all day, sometimes just a few spots in the air and at other times, quite heavily.

Because of that, getting the group photos done was challenging - for the big group shot, we went out to the back of the hotel, but getting everyone out was difficult. Helen had correctly identified a break in the weather when she started getting people outside, but almost as soon as we started moving, the light drizzle got heavier again. Most people were very good and went outside straight away, but a small group lingered inside, looking like they really didn’t want to get wet. Considering that:

1) It was my parents and other close members of my family that were loitering
    2) I was outside in my dress, getting cold and wet
    3) They were keeping everyone else waiting, which was embarrassing

Well, I’m afraid I got very annoyed indeed, and I said a bad word, not all that quietlyimage! T immediately jumped to go and get them to come out - I think I scared him into action!

However, my little temper tantrum had the desired effect, and Helen soon got this lovely shot:

After the photo was taken, Helen asked if anyone had confetti - and no one did! I was disappointed, but really on such a massive high that I didn’t mind too much. Little did I know - BM2 had other plans….

Top tip #11 - If you want a confetti shot, and you’ve gone to the trouble of supplying confetti, make someone specific responsible for it in advance, make sure they know exactly where the confetti is, and exactly when to hand it out. I had written on my instructions that I gave to the bridesmaids that I needed one of them to make sure people had confetti, but because I didn’t ask anyone specific no-one did it.

I will say this - the fact that the weather was rubbish didn't matter one jot. I honestly didn't care - we still had the most fantastic day ever.

A family affair

Once the group photo was done, we made our way back inside - but Helen and Ryan still had to decide on a wet-weather friendly location. The settled on the front of the hotel, where there is a portico that we could stand under to keep (mostly) dry, but still has a nice garden for a backdrop, and it worked really well.

We started with family shots, and there are some great ones. These are some of my favourites, starting with the one taken of us with my parents:

Then my brother and SIL joined us, along with my Nanna (who is doing very well for a 93 year old!):

We got some really great shots of us with MrJC’s parents too:

And finally with both sets of parents:

The girls...

After the family photos, Helen took some shots of me with the Bridesmaids. The rain was coming down a bit harder by this point, so we got the brollies out. I’m not 100% sure about this one, but it’s quite cute:

I also like this one with the brollies:

But I really love this one:

...And the boys

My favourite pic of the boys is the one that I posted under the suits section right at the start of the report, the black and white one where they are jumping in the air. It was actually taken in the morning before the ceremony. We did, however, get some great ones during the formal pics after the ceremony.

This one really shows off the superhero cufflinks we got for the boys:

They really, really loved them, and it was great to do something a bit different for them. MrJC has already worn his again. They looked great with his tux at my company’s black tie Christmas partyimage!

Then there’s this one that looked very strange while it was being taken (Helen asked them to huddle together like a rugby scrum!), but worked very well in the end:

Just the two of us

As soon as the family photos were done, Helen took MrJC and I to the back of the hotel, on the riverbank, for our couples shots.

These are definitely my favourite photos from the whole day. There are one or two I’m not that keen on, but there are so many utter gems, I’m completely thrilled with them. Here’s a selection of the best ones:

I ummed and ah-ed about including this next one, because MrJC was messing about grabbing my boobs and I was a bit embarrassed at the time, but I actually quite like the result - it makes me smile!:

It would have been nice to have my train down for this shot, but with the wet weather, it wasn’t possible. I still really like it though:

And finally - my absolute #1 most favourite wedding photo:

Pick a card, any card…

While the formal photos were being taken, our guests were sipping prosecco, eating canapes, and being entertained by the utterly a-mazing Alan Hudsonimage. Alan is the magician that we hired, and I honestly cannot recommend him highly enough. He was so fantastic that even since the wedding, people are asking about him and telling us how brilliant he was.

We chose him just based on a bit of google research, and watching show-reels on YouTube. We really liked Alan’s very deadpan, less stuffy style. It was more relaxed, and fitted well with what we wanted.

More than that though - as Alan himself pointed out, he is very unusual amongst magicians in that you can actually see him doing magic on his YouTube clips. Most magicians don’t show the actual magic - they just show people reacting to it. It made me much happier we were getting someone who was really confident in his abilities, and it really paid off!

Here’s Alan amazing MrJC’s Dad:

And his godfather:

One of the very few regrets I have about our wedding day was that MrJC and I among the few people that didn’t really get to see him - we were off having photos done for almost the whole time, and as soon as we got back inside, Phil whisked us off for the receiving line.

Alan was very good about that - he knew that he hadn’t shown us anything, so he made Phil wait for 5 minutes while he did a (very good!) trick for us. However, if I could change one single thing about our day, it would be that I would extend the drinks reception be 30 minutes from 1.5 hours to 2 hours. We would have seen more of Alan, and had more chance to mingle while everyone was (relatively!) sober. It would have cost us more in Prosecco, but I would have really appreciated it!

Top Tip #12 - Hire Alan Hudsonimage. Seriously, if you’re thinking about a magician (and even if you’re not), just do it. You won’t regret it.

Love all the photos! Especially your fave image

Happy first married Christmas!x

Sorry to be a massive pain MrsJC, but could you reply to my PM please? It's about the postbox!! image

• Alex5Alex5 Posts: 290

LOVING this! and loving the tips, really appreciating all the advice x

• you are the happiest bride in the world ! wish you more beatiful in future. This is My Fashion store .Welcom to visit .      Athen Dresses http://www.athenadresses.co.uk/

• ChazzytChazzyt Posts: 918

I'm loving your wedding report. You looked absolutely beautiful xx

• oh NO! I was so getting into this, loving all the details, but then you disappeared... image 

Please come and post some more MrsJC! xx

• Wow what a brilliant story! Really, really want to know how the rest of the day went but it looked fantastic!

I'm getting really excited about starting my planning and imaging what it will be like.

Please write more! x