Our August wedding with a Moroccan twist report

Afternoon b's2b!

It has been a few months since our wedding but I have finally found some time to write a wedding report for the most amazing day I have ever had! Between family issues, lots of work and finally being able to start decorating our house, this is going to be one of the first times I've really had to relect so I'm excited!

Right, so I shall start from the beginning...

The day before the wedding my husband left to go to his Mum and Dad's house where he got ready the morning of the wedding. That eve he went out for a quite drink with his best man and a couple of good friends whilst I was joined at home by my MOH and a bridesmaid. We had a really chilled out eve eating chocolate and watching 27 dresses. It was lush! I went to bed around 12 and before I knew it it was 6am and I was raring to go!

So the morning of the wedding we enjoyed fresh fruit and croissants and were joined by my husbands sisters and my Mum. Before I knew it it was time to load the cars with our dresses and head off to the venue.

Tip: Don't give yourself too much to do in the morning of the wedding. Relax and enjoy it.

We drove down to the venue and were met by Claire and Emily who were co-ordinating the day for us. Our florist was also there already and I was so excited to see our flowers! I still to the this day can't believe how much I was in love with our flowers! They really were beautiful!

We took all of our things upstairs to the huge gorgeous dressing room we then went to have a nosy around the the barn and the grounds to see how it was all coming along.

I literally had nothing to worry about, the tables were coming together nicely, there was someone out mowing the lawns and tending the gardens and the outside seating was being arranged.

Tip: Although all b's2b all have a plan as to what they want their day to look like, trust your venue! If they are setting up for you or you have decorators coming in they really know what they are doing. Even if it is not exactly how it was in your head, it will look fab!

As we made our way back the barn my amazing friend and photographer arrived. He (Tom) was with us girls during the morning as we were getting ready and his assistant Liam was with the boys. We made it back up to the dressing room to find my lovely hair and make up ladies setting up and my excitment levels sky rocketed to a new level!! 

• BanariBanari Posts: 1,847

Wow flowers are beautiful!! So looking forward to reading more, also keen to read more tips!

• The hair and make up ladies got to work straight away. I was first up in the make up chair, whilst my bridesmaid Jamie was first to have her hair done.

The ladies were so professional but also made us all feel so comftable... I loved having my hair and make up done.

Tip: Give yourself loads of time to get ready! Although the time went really quickly it was really lovely to take our time getting ready and not having to rush around. We arrive at 9am and th ceremony was at 2pm. This felt perfect for how many of us there were.

Mum had also bought a spread of nibbles and champagne. We had the best time getting ready and the time flew by!

Meanwhile over with the boys...

• The boys were having just as good a time as we were. Because I didn't get ready at my Dad's house as tradition dictates, my husbands family invited my Dad and brother to get ready with them. I love that this happened!!

They started off by having a traditional Moroccan breakfast and doing one of my husbands favourite things.... played Fifa!

They then set about getting ready. It didn't take long however for my husband to lose his shirt! God knows how you can misplace a shirt! The picture below was taken in the frantic search that followed!

Tip: If something goes wrong, don't panic! There will always be a solution... It will be hard but take a deep breathe and create a plan of action.

• Once the boys were ready, they set off for the venue (with a little detour because I forgot to pick up the bridesmaids gifts oops!)

When they arrived the boys relaxed and checked that everything was running smoothly and my husbands mum and our flower girl came up with the gifts.

I gave out the gifts and then it was time to get in to our dresses! The bridesmaids first....

And then me!

It all of a sudden felt unbelievably real! I put my jewellery and shoes on and spritz myself with my favourite perfume.

Tip: Spray your perfume underneath all the different layers in your dress. You smell amazing and it lasts all day!

The registrar came upstairs for me to sign the paper work and I was almost ready to go! I was filled with so much nervous enery and excitment. I couldn't believe that after 6 1/2 years the moment was finally here and I had to do everything I could to stop myself from bursting in to tears.

Tip: If like me you might cry and the littlest thing, sing a happy song, bounce about, tell yourself how excited you are! I had to do all 3 + more to stop myself, but it worked! haha!

• I had a little bit of time as everyone started to head down. First the mums left, then my husbands sisters and our flower girl and I was left with my 2 best friends whilst we waited for dad. It was lovely to have a few minutes alone with them.

When my dad arrived, the girls left and we had a bit of alone time. It was really lovely.

It was then our time to go! Cue teary, nervous, excitment again! This soon disappeared as we got in to out transport to take us to the ceremony... a Tuk Tuk! This was so much fun and really helped to settle my nerves.

This was also the moment my dad decided to give me my wedding day gift. I have to say...not the best timing! I had no where to put it!! We had decided on only very small gifts so was delighted with my bride and groom pandora charm!

We arrived at the area to wait for the ceremony to begin I was told that some people had gotten lost on the way to the venue and wern't there yet! I was suprisingly clam! We decided to give them 5 minutes and if they hadn't arrived we would start anyway. So instead we had a few pictures taken.

I particularly like this one of me and my MOH. It's very us! haha!

We saw the late guests arrive and that was it. It was time! The co-ordinators started to organise the bridesmaids and the ushers were asked to come up to walk our mums down the aisle so they were part of it too.

Tip: It wasn't planned but last minute the ushers walked the mums down the aisle to their seats before the bridesmaids so that they were part of the ceremony too. It actually was a very magical accident. It really was perfect.

The music started and it was time...

• Ahh, this is lovely to read. image  

• Raych54Raych54 Posts: 879

Ohh so glad you've come back to do a report. Look forward to the rest. 

• The photos are lush your tog did really good work! Looks amazing so far!

• :D:D Posts: 1,805

I was hoping you would write a report!! So pleased you both had a fantastic day, cannot wait to read more image

• Thanks Ladies! I'm glad to be back and finally writing my report!! It's been a long time coming...

So... the music had started. The mum's and ushers went first, then it was our flower girl. She is only 2 1/2 so she went down with her mum who is also a bridesmaid. There is an arch of foliage before you see the people as you walk down the aisle so she was quite happy at first. Then she saw the crowd of people.... There was a second where I think we all thought she had got scared as she saw everyone looking at her, but then she got in to the swing of things and did a really good job of scattering her petals. So cute!

Then was our junior bridesmaid, followed by oldest and dearest friend Jamie and then my gorgeous MOH Jo.

Jo gave me one last quick hug before she went and then it was my turn. All my nerves and teariness seemed to disappear as soon as I came through the arch. I saw everyone turn to face me but I just looked straight through to my husband. I could not stop smiling! I was so happy to be walking towards him to finally become his wife.

H did actually admit later that he welled up as I walked down the aisle but he held it together; So sweet! I was too busy beaming away!

Our ceremony was lovely. My Dad handed me over and H and my Dad best whispered that I looked beautiful in to my ears at the same time! haha! Was weird but really sweet.

It felt as if there was no one there but me, H and the registrar. We said our vows, exchanged our rings and my friend came up and did a reading called the magic of love. I was so happy!

Tip: Breathe and savour the moment. It's over in flash but is

• Tip: Breathe and savour the moment. It's over in flash but is something you will treasure forever.

There was just one thing that did distract me during the ceremony... and that was a bug.... in the registrars hair! haha! A big black beetle thing with the worst sense of timing ever! This was the single most important moment of my life so far, so it wasn't like I was going to ruin it and tell her. I felt awful so once we sat to sign the register I told her and she had a mini panic as she ruffled her hands through her hair! It was funny though.

We signed the register and posed for a few pictures before it was time to walk back out.

We walked out to higher & higher by Jackie Wilson which was such a good choice. It got everyones toes tapping! As we walked back up the aisle people threw confetti and generally clapped and cheered.

One thing I would say though is DO NOT give mischievious friends confetti... I ended up with a handful down my clevage. If I hadn't of been in such a good mood I would have been fuming! Turns out, it made for some funning pictures.

We were then greated with Pims and Orange Juice (h2b doesn't drink) for our drinks reception and I couldn't have been any happier image

• It was nice to have some mingling time in our drinks reception. We decided against having a formal receiving line so made sure we made an effort to speak to everyone during this time.

We had about 1 1/2 hours before dinner and to be honest this was about right. Not too long or too short. We squeezed in drinking and mingling with some group photos too.

We also had garden games for people to play which were a massive hit! People were playing them all day and night!

Tip: Make sure you have enough for people to have more than one drink. I know it isn't always possible with everyone's budgets but it was nice to see the waitresses re-filling everyones drinks. Your guests will appreciate it; weddings are expensive for your guests too.

It was at this time that we realised that my nan had had a few too many Pims as she exclaimed to the photographer that she was ready for her close up!

Our guests were then called in to take their seats for dinner and we had our first little bit of alone time and had our first pics of just us as husband and wife.

Tip: Make sure you make time time to just spend time together. The day is about the 2 of you after all! It really is specail and I'm so glad we made this time.

• Ahh wow cherrydrop, I'm glad I've found your report!! image love all the little tios you've suggested! Looks like you had the most amazing day! It's the colours that I love, knew in would looks so well put together, bright and happy! image 

Look forward to seeing more! image xx

• Thanks Mondaybride! That's really sweet of you to say! image

I've got 10mins so am going to add a bit more now....

Next was the wedding breakfast. We were announced in as husband and wife for the first time and it really was awesome! I'm not normally one to love being center of attention, but I can't lie... I did enjoy this!

We decided to eat first and then have the speaches after everyone had eaten.

Tip: Honestly food then speaches went down a treat. I've been to a few weddings where they have speaches first and everyones been starving. Our guests were thankful for us doing it this way round.

Now all brides say that your aren't particularly hungry on your wedding day and I hate to say it, but it's so true! Our food was absolutely delicious but I just wasn't hungry! So so annoying!

I managed to eat a bit of each course but couldn't finish them.

We even had a mini Moroccan mint tea with the puddings. So yummy!

Once everyone had eaten it was then time for the speaches. First up was my Dad. His speach was lovely (I held it together!!) and also really funny which suprised me. He was really nervous to start with but then got in to the swing of things.

Next up was H. Now despite not only being a teacher and talking in front of groups of people every day there is a long running joke about how rubbish he is at talking in front of people. He always says something cringey, awkward or that he just shouldn't! This speach was much anticipated from me and his work mates who made a point of lettig him know they expected big things.

He really did such a good job though! It was really sweet and personal witty and I was so proud of him!

•  Next up was the best man. This is the one I was worried about! Myself and H had been together for roughly 5 years beofre his parents knew about me because he is Muslim and I am, well, not. My MOH even spoke to the BM before his speach to make sure he didn;t accidently stich us up... apparently we had nothing to worry about! How wrong. He managed to reveal how long we had been together within the first 45s. Great work. None the lesson, and despite the look of horror I gave my friends, it was very funny.

Tip: Just smile and carry on!

• We had decided that to fill the lull between the end of the speaches and the evening kicking off that we would put on a Mr & Mrs style quiz. This was filled with questions all about me and H and helped break the ice on the tables of people who didn;t really know each other.

It went down a right treat and people got really competetive!! I hate to say it, but the top table also joined in (without H or my help) and only managed o come 5th! haha! H's little sister Sara marked all the papers and read out the results. She did a really good job!

The winning table won £20 to spend at the bar.

Tip: If you can incorporate an ice breaker for you guests (especially if you have people who don't know each other on your tables) it is such a good idea. We di notice that lots of people who don;t really know each other were chatting through out the eveining after this.

I'm really enjoying reading your report image full of lots of amazing photos image Just wondering what kind of questions did you put in the quiz? I have been wondering if I should do this, but don't know if the answers would be too obvious?

• Next it was time to cut the cake! I loved our cake so much, but I regret not seeing it before we went to cut it. Not because I wasn't happy with it, but because it was so beautiful! As soon as we cut it it was whisked off to be cut up by the caterers for the evening buffet.

Tip: Get a look at your cake before it gets sliced and diced!

I'm also going to take this time to introduce one of my absolute favourite wedding purchases... our personalised cake toppers! Everyone commented on how good they were, espcially H's! An uncanny resemblance I would say!!

• Thanks image! Most of the questions were multiple choice and included things like....

What is.... most scared of?

If ..... could be a superhero who would they be?

What was .... favourite Disney film when she was younger?

Who is did they say was better at singing.

Who wears the trousers in the relationship?

How many days since they got engaged to the wedding day?

How many miles from H's home town in Morocco to their current hometown in Kent.

Hope that helps. We wanted to do less obvious questions so that our parents wouldn't necessarally win.

Those are brilliant questions! Thank you image Will add that to my list of things to do image As you mentioned we have a few couples that won't know other people so hopefully this will break the ice image 

• After this there was about half hour before the evening guests arrived. This gave people a chance to get some fresh air etc and more importantly for me to go to the toilet! 

TOP TIP: Make sure your feel comfortable around your MOH! haha! She will be more help when going to the loo than you realise! Also, and sorry for TMI, the easiest way to go, is by going forwards rather than backwards. Especially if you have a big dress! Definantly something I'm glad I knew!

This was also the time when lots of our day 

guests signed our guest book. We decided against a traditional guestbook and instead had a photo guest book. This involved guests taking a picture of themselves with our digital camera, plugging it in to a pogo Polaroid printer and then sticking the picture next to their message. I can't tell you how popular this was!! Mainly because my amazing Dad had made us some moustaches as props and we also provided some fez's too. I'm so glad we did this. Not only do we have an awesome guestbook, but we have another 100+ silly pictures of everyone on our memory stick!

Our evening guests were also starting to arrive. It was so lovely seeing so many more people making the effort to come of their way to celebrate with us.

Tip: Make sure you take time to great each of your evening guests if you can. So many people after the wedding said that they appreciated us welcoming them.

The DJ came to find us to let us know that he would shortly be announcing our first Dance so we took this time before to have a little bit of a wonder around the grounds and take a breathe. The day goes so fast and sometimes you need to stop and take it all in. Everyone else had gone in to the barn and gathered around the dance floor, so it was only use outside, it was bliss.

We headed back and heard him announce us on to the floor and took our places. Our first Dance was "At Last" by Etta James and I loved it. About half way through the bridemaids and ushers were called on to the dance floor to join us and this made it even more special.

• It was then time to let the party begin! Everyone had such a good time and the dance floor was packed all night with people throwing their shapes!

My Uncle especially provided us with some special moves!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-tsRiqetVc&feature=youtu.be

I love how the rhythm took hold, but not enough for him to leave the buffet! haha!

• MrsE2be2014MrsE2be2014 Posts: 1,459

I cant believe I have only just noticed your wedding report after stalking your planning thread! Soo glad you had the best day you looked stunning and all your guests look like they had a fab time! xx

Tip: Have flat shoes to hand! My feet eventually gave up after the first dance so I had to change my shoes. Luckily I had some stashed behind the bar so I could carry on!

Our venue looks stunning at night and is lit up by lots of fairy lights so we decided to take advantage of this and have some pictures taken outside. We even managed to fit in a dance underneath the summer house where we were married.

Before we knew it the night was drawing to a close... I was sad but absolutely exhausted! To end the party we had a last dance. Something which I would recommend to anyone! I think I even preferred it to our first dance if I'm completely honest.

We danced to Alicia Keys "If I aint got you" which still gives me goosebumps when I hear it. 

Everyone gathered around us in a circle and say along as we danced in the middle. It was amazing!

It was then time to leave for our room with a sparkler send. This was so much fun! We originally got together on bonfire night so was a fitting send off. The kids and big kids enjoyed it too!

Tip: If you are going to have sprklers, make sure they are long enough that they won't burn out before you reach the end of the line. Also make sure you have enough lighters to light them otherwise the first will have gone out before you've lit the

• Thanks Mrs E image, your day is coming around quickly now!! I bet you can't wait!

So that, in a nut shell was our amzing day... I loved every second of planning our wedding and would do it all again if I could! So bs2b, although you will be looking forward to your wedding day; cherish every second of the experience, because it will be over before you know it.

Thank you to all the brides who have given me a wealth of knowledge and advice and I hope you all have the most amazing wedding days! I wish you every happiness for the future xx

• RinaGeeRinaGee Posts: 753

Oh what a lovely report! Your hair, dress, flowers are all gorgeous and that pic with the fairy lights looks like something from The Wizard of Oz. Beautiful!

• Aw thanks Rina!! I was just about to mooch on over and take a look at your report. Hope you had an amazing wedding!

• Really lovely report, you looked stunning...congratulationsimage.

• Thanks LOTPM! H stands for habibi, husband and his name is Hicham too. Lol! So it can stand for whatever!!

There weren't youyous no! We weren't allowed any outside catering which sucked because I love all the tea and cakes! Although I think if we had served them all up before dinner our guests would have been way too confused! Haha!

We did however have an amazing lamb tagine with Harissa potatoes! Didn't look traditional but tasted so good!

Did you ever write a report? X
  • Thank you giddy- kipper! That's really sweet of you image