Our Barbados beach wedding

• kez79kez79 Posts: 114

Looking forward to your report, we are getting married abroad x

• Angie jAngie j Posts: 448

Congratulations!  You & your husband look lovely, flowers are so pretty too.  Look forward to finding out more. 

• PoppinsPoppins Posts: 3,146

Love them!!!! Xxx

• AsherAsher Posts: 92

Love the pictures x

• GMH24GMH24 Posts: 227

The pics look fab, can't wait to see the rest. I'm very jealous too, I got engaged at this hotel in January and would love to go back! 

• GMH24 - Congrats! FAB hotel, that's it for now. This weekend is party time so will update more next week

X

• wow... absolutely gorgeous. am planning our wedding in Antigua, and yours is the first one that I have read about that will be similar.. sounds and looks amazing and relaxed.. can't wait. Thank you for sharing, love the idea of silk flowers too, thanks for that.

X

• We left Cin Cins close to midnight and walked the hundred yards or so back to the hotel. So that was it, our wedding day done... Incredible and truly memorable!

The following morning, the hotel treated us to a champagne breakfast overlooking the sea on our balcony. And more champagne which we decided to bring home for us to share with friends and family.

We polished off what we could and started our 'honeymoon'! Had a great few days before we came home including shopping in Armani (yep, hubby treated me!) and swimming with turtles.

We touched down back in Manchester and started to look forward to our 'at home' party which was the following weekend. Whilst we were still in 'wedding mode' it was great to have this to look forward to and was so glad that we hadn't waited until after Christmas (like hubby wanted to!).

• the flower thing is such a sweet idea... i'll check out the company you used, your bouquet looked like the real thing. X

• Your photos are stunning, and you look really beautiful. It seems funny that not long ago we were both posting in the November brides thread and here we are married! Did I read it right that you live in North Wales? I do too!

I'm glad you had such an amazing day x

• kez79kez79 Posts: 114

love seeing all the photos, it looked and sounded amazing x

• Hi Nikki - CONGRATULATIONS! I used to live in North Wales - now in Nottingham. Where do you live?

I am a bit tied up with Christmas and work (still catching up!) but will post more on my at home party as soon as I can x

• Thanks Barbados, keep meaning to do a report but haven't had the time yet!

I live near Abergele, but am from London originally! Whereabouts did you used to live? x

• Abergele! And Penyffordd originally.... Small world!
  • Small world indeed! We got married at the Oriel Country Hotel in St Asaph, nowhere near as glamorous as you, and the weather was awful-we didn't manage to get one photo outside, which I am sad about. But apart from that we had a fab day, it was wonderful. x

• I know it well! Shame about the photos as its a lovely venue
  • enjoyed reading your report all about your big day, sounds like it went off just how you planned and you had the wedding you wanted, you looked lovely and you and Mr.Barbados look so relaxed and happy!!!

anything u wished you had known before u got there? to help to prepare us future carribean brides?

• KK12KK12 Posts: 927

Ahhh lovely relaxed wedding - part of me still wishes my fiance and I were still doing this as originally planned! I am from Nottingham, now live in Leicestershire!

• Hi Glasgow Bridge - Sorry I haven't replied sooner....

I think I had done a fair bit off research and very thankful that I'd had the foresight to consider bits and bobs in the summer for example, sorting out my make up. I had also had a think about what photography I wanted and tied the wedding time in with that to get sunset shotsI also checked the tide times (very important on the west coast as it comes in in the middle of the day and the beaches aren't that big!) although a good planner will be able to advise on this. 

Definitely don't wear flip flops on the beach with your dress if it has lots of layers as it does go everywhere. And if you are wearing a dress on the beach, don't get upset if it gets sand and sea on it - just go for it! I wore espidrilles (very practical and had a bit of height although ended up taking them off when hubby decided I was right and that he shouldn't have worn shoes!)

Also take care of fresh tropical flowers - the dark pink ones on Mr Barbados' button hole got onto my dress and left a massive pink stain (which thankfully doesn't show in the pictures and has mostly come out with a bit of handwash). 

Overall though the only thing I regret is not having a few more days as it was only 8 days we were there and a few of those were taken up by 'wedding' stuff so actually felt like a very short holiday - much more than I would have thought (although maybe this was due to the day or so to get over travelling too). At least it gives me chance to go back! image

I wouldn't be afraid of asking lots of questions and getting to know your planner in advance. It definitely helped that I had been chatting to the hotel for months before I went because as soon as I got there we were straight to business as opposed to pleasantries.I had also been in touch with the photographer for a few months and had given a clear idea as to what I wanted - I didn't want to be sitting down discussing this on the day but likewise, knew what we wanted and didn't want to be disappointed by pictures that weren't 'us'. This worked out well as we didn't end up having many 'formal' shots (thank fully!) and we are really pleased with the results. 

Lastly, don't expect military precision timing... this is the caribbean and it's much more laid back than the UK so just expect to wait (and wait a bit more). I did try to pin my planner down to dates and times for meetings before I went (just so we could plan our week and trips a little) - no such luck! 

When's your big day?

KK12 - You can't have long left to wait can you?

• PoppinsPoppins Posts: 3,146

Finally caught up over a toasted teacake and a cup of tea! Syns galore I'm sure with the teacake but I've had no lunch! Your photos are stunning my lovely! Are you going to write about your party back home? Xxx

• thanks for all the advice! good to know from someone who has been there. we are looking at late Oct/Nov 2014. I have Pm'd you a wee question about hair and photography.