My Wedding Report - August 2013 at Avoncroft Museum

I always promised to do a wedding report. Well here I am nearly 6 months later - wow time really does fly!! We have just finished making photo albums for our parents and grandparents and it was so fun reliving every moment as we looked through the photos that I thought it was about time to head back here. 

Here is a link to my planning thread (wow it seems like such a long time ago since I started that!) 

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/planning/august-2013-wedding-planning---diy-and-photos/370575-16.html

And here is one of my favourite wedding photos to get this report started!

• annacwcannacwc Posts: 804

The day before:

My husband's brother came over to fill his car with the wedding stuff that he was going to take to the venue. Well we had so much we ended up filling his car, my husband's car and my parents car!

Despite spending a year and a half planning the wedding I was still printing children's activity books and wrapping thank you presents so the guys sat and played play station for a bit (probably more to avoid me as I was becoming more and more Bridezilla like with the stress of still not being ready!) I even ended up collating the pages for the books and folding them on the drive over to the venue! When we arrived we dropped all of our things at the hotel then headed to Avoncroft Museum. I had a lots of family and friends there helping to decorate and set up. 

I nearly had bridezilla moment number 2 when some of the men decided that we would leave up the red, blue and white plastic bunting that was there from the previous wedding along one side of the grass and just use the purple bunting we had made along the other side (the bunting that me and my Mum had spent hours sewing on the hottest day of the year). Well we all know that ended... purple bunting all round.

After we finished my friends went home, my husband and his family headed off to a pub and I went for a lovely meal with my family. 

The morning:

As I stayed in the same hotel as my husband the night we made sure that his family had one side of the hotel and mine had the other! This meant that I didn't leave my room for fear of seeing him and getting bad luck! So we had room service and a room full! At one stage there was myself, my three bridesmaids, my parents, my grandparents, my two cousins, the hairdresser and the photographer all in the same room! It was so much fun and everyone kept saying they couldn't believe how calm I was... I was just so excited!

My mum died when I was 13. So I decided to put my favourite photo of her in a locket tied to my bouquet so that she would be with me as I walked down the aisle. 

My step mum made my something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue and gave it to me on the morning. I was so touched by how thoughtful it was. 

something new - a sterling silver nappy pin (she wants to be a grandma!)

something old - a coin with the year my dad was born and a flower from my birth mum's head dress she wore to her wedding

something borrowed - a button of my step mum's wedding dress

something blue - she use blue ribbon and lace to attach everything. 

• I remember reading your planning thread so Im really looking forward to reading this report x

Here are some of the hangers I made. The maid of honour one got a bit squished! 

We were all very calm and enjoying the morning but we were so lucky that our wedding photographer was so experienced. She suddenly went 'Erm you need to be in your dress now!!' She organised us all! Despite getting up at 6.30 for the hair dresser to start my hair and not having to leave until 11.30 - the morning went so quickly!!

The hotel had painted the corridor the day we arrived so there were wet paint signs everywhere. The only nerves I felt on the morning were as I walked down the corridor thinking please please don't arrive with two stripes of paint either side of my dress! 

I always imagined the journey in the car with my dad but the one thing that I never considered was that a lot of people love the sight of a wedding car! We had so many people point/wave/cheer as we drove past! It was so surreal. The whole way there I kept thinking I know I am in my wedding dress. I know that I am holding my bouquet. I know that I am on the way to the venue. But it still didn't feel real! 

Our invitations had a section where we included directions and the last part said to follow the brown signs as we got married in a museum. So my Mum and Dad had this sign made for us to put at the entrance of the museum. 

RatThings2 wrote (see)

I remember reading your planning thread so Im really looking forward to reading this report x

I am glad someone is reading image

I am thinking of going picture heavy as I know that is what I enjoyed about other people's wedding reports. 

I am known for always being late and my husband joked (I think!) that if I was late he wouldn't marry me. So we arrived (early!) but someone came running out to tell the driver to stay at the entrance as people were still finding seats and the groom was upstairs on the balcony speaking to the registrar! It was so odd sitting in the car watching late people running across the car park and into the venue.

The bridesmaids were all there and waiting. I think they were more nervous than I was.

The teacher in me likes to know when everything is going to happen so it seemed fitting to have a timetable of our day.

• :D:D Posts: 1,805

Yay! Your planning thread was lovely, lots of little details image some which I have nabbed image Really looking forward to reading more about your day image

• That picture of you in your dress with your flowers is beautiful.. you look so very happy xx

image wrote (see)

Yay! Your planning thread was lovely, lots of little details image some which I have nabbed image Really looking forward to reading more about your day image

I am glad there were ideas you wanted to nab! I got loads of my ideas from people off this forum too. When are you getting married?
    image wrote (see)

RatThings2 wrote (see)

That picture of you in your dress with your flowers is beautiful.. you look so very happy xx

Thank you! I didn't stop smiling all day.

Oops I have just spotted your countdown timer image - 6 months, 3 weeks and 1 day - it will fly by!

• Ooooooh your right near me! Can you tell me who did your flowers as they are gorgeous and I can't find a florist!!!! 

Pl xx

Hi Mrs A to Be. 

We used InBloom who are based in the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham. They were fantastic and understood exactly what I wanted. The only word of warning I would give you is that be carefully if you go for wild flowers. It was very hot/muggy and the bouquets and buttonholes wilted quite quickly. The flowers in jars lasted brilliantly though and my mother in law was giving them away the next day as they still looked fresh. 

http://www.inbloomflowers.co.uk/

• Raych54Raych54 Posts: 879

Ohh excited about this as I lived your planning ... That's my morning tomorrow sorted. 

Ha ha Rachy54 I was looking for a like button then!

I was about to turn in for the night but no I feel like I should add the ceremony pictures so there is something for you to look at tomorrow haha.

The ceremony:

We hired a string quartet that played a mix of classical music and modern/pop songs. Everyone said they were fantastic but I honestly can not remember hearing anything they played!

We made confetti and left it out with tissues for people as they entered the hall.   

The night before the wedding the bridesmaids were concerned as we had not had a rehearsal. They were even practicing walking down the aisle in the hotel corridors! I remember waiting to go into the ceremony. They had drawn a curtain so no one could see us. All we heard was the fastest clip clops as all three bridesmaids raced down the aisle! It did make me chuckle. There was quite a long gap between the bridesmaids going down and my dad walking me down. I remember telling my dad that we had to go as everyone was waiting but he needed a minute as he was a little bit emotional image

It was the most amazing feeling walking down the aisle - I am so glad we have photos because I took nothing in except the feeling of my dad's arm and the little whisper in my ear from him 'Slow down, enjoy it, this is your moment'. 

Mr M was standing at the end of the aisle. The whole way down I kept thinking I can't wait to see his face - that look when the groom sees the bride. The look from the movies. The look that would belong to me. As I got closer he still wasn't looking!!

He said the photographer was mouthing 'She is halfway down (meaning turn around...), nearly here (meaning turn around), she is here (meaning turn around).... turn around (meaning TURN AROUND!!) Perhaps we did need a rehearsal after all!! I was very close to tapping him on the shoulder. The smile was amazing when he did turn around. His Nan told us after that she has never seen two people smile, giggle and look like they were enjoying their entire wedding ceremony as much as we did. I don't think I stopped smiling for the entire day.

When we hired Avoncroft they couldn' t tell us what events would be on that weekend as the museum would be open to the public. In the past there have been living history weekends and jousting competitions! We managed to say our vows with nothing going on outside! The sun was shining even though thunder storms were predicted and everything went perfectly. Afterwards his Nan told us after that she has never seen two people smile, giggle and look like they were enjoying their entire wedding ceremony as much as we did. I don't think I stopped smiling for the entire day. 

My sisters did readings for us. One was an Albert Einstein quote "Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.” My sister was stressing about not being able to say phenomenon so my dad was helping her practice the night before by singing that ma nom a na song. I just remember hearing my dad sing that to her during the reading and we all giggled. She aced it!

My other sister who was only 13 read a book called 'A Lovely Love Story' by Edward Monkton. She was amazing and captivated the entire room. Let's just say the people doing speeches later in the day had a lot to live up to! 

There were so many moments during the ceremony where we were in our own little world and it felt like it was just the two of us there! 

We decided not to have a receiving line later in the day so we made sure that we greeted everyone as they left the ceremony. 

Then we had reception drinks (Bramble cocktails, Peroni and old fashioned lemonade), the string quartet, canapes and a sweet buffet! We got taken away to have photos taken during this time - so we didn't even get to taste the canapes. So little tip - make sure to eat breakfast or ask your caterer/mum/maid of honour/anyone to save you some nibbles!

Our wedding took place at a museum of historic buildings.

During the reception drinks time people were free to wonder around the museum while we had some photos taken. 

We set up a 'key to a successful marriage tree' for people to leave us advice. I am so glad we did this. It looked fantastic lit up during the evening and we have great keepsakes from the wedding. Each little old key has a message from someone we love and care about. We sat and read them all the next day. Some were hilarious and made me cry tears of laughter others just made me cry because they were so lovely! 

We also put photos of our parents and grandparents weddings out for people to look at.

• :D:D Posts: 1,805

Your report really is beautiful. Such lovely photographs and it looks like you both only had eyes for each other image Its great to see all your little touches.

• BanariBanari Posts: 1,847

Amazing report so far! Pictures are beautiful! I loved your planning thread, can't wait to read the rest of the day! 

• Im really enjoying reading this, I look forward to seeing the rest of it image

• I started reading this report and thought, I have to read your planning thread first! So I skipped off to that and now straight back to this. What a beautiful wedding with some lovely touches and sentiment. image  A good read in bed on a Saturday morning! image

• JJ2013JJ2013 Posts: 628

Hi Anna I remember your planning thread as you got married a month before me, lovely to read (and see) how beautiful you looked and the day went. Glad I popped by to check out the wedding reports! I want to do one of my own one of these days...

Songbirdsings wrote (see)

I started reading this report and thought, I have to read your planning thread first! So I skipped off to that and now straight back to this. What a beautiful wedding with some lovely touches and sentiment. image  A good read in bed on a Saturday morning! image

After seeing that I thought that I would flick through my planning thread for old times sake. I used a similar name for this report to my planning thread in the hope that people would remember my planning thread... but I actually ended up getting married in July! 

It is funny reading back through - can't believe that I forgot to make and put cake bunting on top of the wedding cake... and there were so many ideas in that thread that I didn't use! But it is interesting to look back and see how my ideas developed. 

I am glad that people are enjoying reading it. JJ2013 - you should definitely do a report image Let me know if you do. I hardly ever come back on here so let me know if you do. 

The wedding breakfast: (the name always makes me want bacon, toast, beans, hashbrowns...)

We didn't want to do a receiving line as they take so long. Instead we decided to walk around and visit with each table during the meal. This worked really well and we had a good chance to say hi to everyone. 

All the guests found their seats while we waited outside. This gave us our first few moments on our own - which I advise anyone to try to find. There were lots of times during the day when I didn't even see Mr M - so I am glad we took time out to stand back when we could! Our venue had a balcony that overlooked the area where everyone was sat. Just before we went in we snuck upstairs and just watched for a few minutes... until we were spotted. We totally milked the moment and our quick kiss was greeted with a loud 'ahhh'. 

It was really hard to imagine how everything would come together during the planning stage. My Aunty could not understand how old jars would ever be needed at a wedding when I was looking for people to collect them for me. We collected loads of jars and I spent an afternoon with a hot glue gun, ribbon, lace and twine. When Mr M took them to the florist I was hoping that they would turn out how I imagined in my head. I was so pleased with how they turned out. Some people couldn't understand why we weren't having table names either. We decided to collect old house numbers and used branches from my parents garden to make table numbers. A few of these were taken home by guests! 

Our place names/favours took ages to make! But not one was left on a table at the end of the evening. I have spotted them on peoples Christmas trees, hung on notice boards and as a lot of facebook profile pictures! So I think people liked them! 

We made activity packs for the children/teenagers and it was great to see them all playing with the things. 

I had seen loads of ideas online for activity books and my sister made us our own version. We loved the title I had seen online - Something to do when the adults are being boring at the dinner table.  

We made an eye spy game and gave the children disposable cameras to use. 

• Abi14Abi14 Posts: 201

Hi Anna, so glad to see everything went so well for you. Pictures so far look amazing and absolutely love your venue. Pics of the kids playing are really cute as well. Looking forward to seeing how your fete games went down. Xx

Thank you Abi14. The games were brilliant! I am so glad we made them. Will add some more photos when I get a chance. Have you sorted the games for yours? How long until you get married?

• MrsBeau2BMrsBeau2B Posts: 1,513

Hello fellow August bride! Everything (especially you!!) looked beautiful. I love all your little touches, everyone seems to be having so much fun!

Can we all go back and do it again now please! image

• MrsH2013MrsH2013 Posts: 842

Aw I remember reading your planning report and loving all the little touches you were planning to do and it's lovely to see them all come together on your wedding day! x

• Omg! I just cried at your pictures they are wonderful!!!! You look so happy! I love the one of you and your dad just before going in! Xxx