Forum home Your wedding reports

A Groom With A View

• Rachel 14Rachel 14 Posts: 232

Love your reply to criticism Tom. I mildly agreed with some of Blues points, but then I thought about how every relationship is different, an u shouldn't really judge people based on what's written here.

I for one would b happy if my OH was writing this about me as u are. Ignore Blue an finish telling us your story!!

• Tom - as I mentioned, I am enjoying reading about your experiences and your thoughts on the run up to the wedding - it's not a perspective that we get that much on the forum.

And yes - I understand that you are deliberately writing in a comedic fashion, so will be using hyperbole every now and then. The points you raise about someone wanting to look nice on their wedding day...well obviously. I can understand why someone might be upset that their stylist couldn't do their hair, but that's a bit different from:

The rest of the protest dissolved into incoherent blubbing. Clearly this was a disaster on an unprecedented scale  

Again, I understand - hyperbole. But it's just like that for everything when you write about her!

It would just be nice to see you writing something sincere about your bride rather than exaggerating everything for laughs. But it's your thread! You can write whatever you like in whatever style you like.

• hi Blue London

I think that is a valid point.  the line you quoted there was a little distrespectful but like you say the prose style is heightened for comic effect

she is getting a bad press off me but I do fall for her so stay with it

Tom x

• I am just waiting to see what happens to make you two fall in love - have to admit that at the moment it seems like the run up to the worst relationship ever, which clearly isn't the case if you guys are engaged!

Plot twist...

• MrsG23MrsG23 Posts: 231

This is absolutely brilliant! Reading your blog is like reading a book - so so cleverly written! I love it image Looking forward to reading more! xx

• Oh come on please BlueLondonParis don't let the fact that their wedding plans don't fit into your life put a halt to what is a very funny light hearted take on a couples first few years together.

Take it for what it is obviously meant to be and just enjoy the story.

Tom, you have casually mentioned what Sarah looks like describing in detail her auburn but I would love to know what you look like, In my head you are tall, dark but with blue steely eyes. You wear a smoking jacket when you write and smoke the occasional cigar. Oops I think I am confusing you with someone from a Dickens novel!

• Candy

Thank you for your kind words.  I think me and BLP  have made up now. 

Although this is typical man - Sarah has just informed me that her hair is not auburn at all  its actually brunette-  well nobody told me the difference.

And I do not wear a smoking jacket, that is riduculous in 2014

I have been spotted however, on high days and holidays, strutting round the precinct sporting a fez.

• SongbirdsingsSongbirdsings Posts: 1,290

Hurrah, go for it Tom! image  There's always one on this site...I wondered how long it would be before you fell target. There are many more of us thoroughly enjoying your story who totally "get" the way in which you write. 

Haha Candy Sunshine....now you have given us all such an image of our author! I'm thinking the man is intelligent, deep thinking, insightful....image

• It was time to say goodbye, leave the News bar and go our separate ways. I didn’t want to leave and I don’t think she did either, but the impatient texts about kids being picked up and taken back home were flashing through at an ever greater pace.

Now I  always think a parting kiss between two people whose relationship is in what John Motson would call,  “the corridor of uncertainty”  (for a full explanation, please refer to your various H2b’s {BLP sexism alert!})  is usually a variation of  a well known playground game.

But instead of   “Rock, Paper or Scissors”,  it’s “Cheek, Mouth or Tongues”.  Get it right and it’s heaven, get it wrong and its Cringe City,  Ohio. 

We stood to go and I kid you not, to anyone watching it looked like we were rehearsing theTiger Feet dance.. 

Cue the video to 1.09

Eventually, we agreed to a peck on the cheek.

And that was that. It was bye bye Merseyside, we were airborne……

Incidentally, the guitarist in that band (the one with the earrings) is a guy called Rob Davis who went on to write “Can't Get You Out of My Head” for Kylie Minogue.  Just a useless piece of triv for the pop pickers amongst you.

I’ve just shouted out that last sentence to Sarah. She’s just shouted back “For God's sake Tom, no one cares!”

I care.  I care passionately about trivia. It must be a boy thing. Hey ho.

• I just wanted to say I absolutely love this thread Tom, it's the only thread I've actually hit that 'follow' button on

keep it coming as quick as you can! image

• The night of concert was nearly upon us.  In between we didn’t see much of each other.  Sarah’s ex was unable to have the children hardly at all. In fact his behaviour became more erratic as time went on and developed into a biger and bigger problem. I’ll come back to that another time.

So it was texting or nothing.  Although sometimes we would get under the covers and have whispered phone conversations late at night.  We had to keep quiet because of the kids.  We talked about our lives, how things had panned out, mistakes we had made and what we wanted for the future. 

But, whenever we got to the subject of me and her, it was like that funny feeling you get when you press the positive ends of two magnets together, like an invisible force pushing them apart.  Awkward, awkward, awkward.   The phone calls went like this -

“Sarah, are you looking forward to the concert?

“Yeah, are you, or is that a stupid question?  Sorry I can’t talk much longer its like a furnace under this duvet.

“I know I’m the same I’m sweating like the grand national winner.

“Are you under your duvet too?

“Yes.

“Oh, I didn’t know you had the kids with you tonight?

“I haven’t

“So…why –

“Oh yeah, this is silly isn’t it?

That kind of thing.

• The night of concert was nearly upon us.  In between we didn’t see much of each other.  Sarah’s ex was unable to have the children hardly at all. In fact his behaviour became more erratic as time went on and developed into a biger and bigger problem. I’ll come back to that another time.

So it was texting or nothing.  Although sometimes we would get under the covers and have whispered phone conversations late at night.  We had to keep quiet because of the kids.  We talked about our lives, how things had panned out, mistakes we had made and what we wanted for the future. 

But, whenever we got to the subject of me and her, it was like that funny feeling you get when you press the positive ends of two magnets together, like an invisible force pushing them apart.  Awkward, awkward, awkward.   The phone calls went like this -

“Sarah, are you looking forward to the concert?

“Yeah, are you, or is that a stupid question?  Sorry I can’t talk much longer its like a furnace under this duvet.

“I know I’m the same I’m sweating like the grand national winner.

“Are you under your duvet too?

“Yes.

“Oh, I didn’t know you had the kids with you tonight?

“I haven’t

“So…why –

“Oh yeah, this is silly isn’t it?

That kind of thing.

• Future MrsCFuture MrsC Posts: 684

Tom, please ignore the ignorant comments that have been made! This thread is absolutely awesome and I always look for an update when I log on image keep it up x

• WARNING:  First Proper Kiss Alert!   The following posts contain graphic scenes of romance that some cynics may find distressing.

It was one of those balmy  early summer evenings,  when the convertables are pulled out of the garage and motorbikes roar along shimmering tarmac. 

The venue was in a different city. There was no point us going in two cars so we met at a pre -arranged spot near the M6  She was already there. She got out. She looked amazing. Her hair was up and she had on heels and a short sleeve blouse.  She was stood in front of her motor  in the dimming sunlight  as the cars  sped past.  She pulled whisps of hair from across her face as the summer wind wipped up dust.. I smiled back, she had really made the effort. I got out and went to her.  As I kissed her cheek her face changed. She leaned back and stared down.

“Tom? How old is that t shirt?

“Er let me see, Tunnel of Love Tour, so that’s… 1988 .

“This is our first date and your wearing a seventeen year old tatty t shirt?

“Why, what’s up with it? You’re lucky, my Born in the Usa t shirt  from 1985 has disintegrated.

“ I’ll drive shall I? 

“I don’t mind I’ll drive if you want.

“Wont you want a drink?

“I never drink at a Bruce concert, it impairs my concentration.

Sarah blew out her cheeks.  We set off. Then it hit me. This was the first time I'd ever been alone with her.  As in just her and me with no one else around. We started talking.  And, like spies who have been set loose by their handlers, we began to talk freely.  She told me about her job as a counsellor, how she listened to some pretty awful stories.    She talked about how she had been trained, how stressful it could be and how frustrating people are when the answer is staring them in the face.

I came out with all the usual ignorant platitudes about how I couldn’t do it and I admired anyone who had the patience to listen to another person’s plight unconditionally.  I said she was very altruistic. She replied that there was no such thing as altruism.  That set off a discussion about what it means to be good and why people behave (or misbehave) like they do.

I started to talk about stuff that had happened in my life and as I talked I got the feeling, for probably the first time ever, that Sarah was actually listening to me, without any agenda of her own.  Try it. Try and listen to another person without your own opinions and emotions getting in the way. It’s not easy. 

Then we got off the light-hearted subject of the meaning of human existence and onto the far more serious matter of the concert.  I rambled on about how I got into Bruce  when I was a student . How I spent the summer of 1985 following him around Canada and America, and what I thought of the new album.

“I  think this is his best solo album since Nebraska.  Some of the songs are excellent.

“Yeah, but don’t you think Ghost of Tom Joad is right up there with the others?

“Ghost of Tom Joad? How do you know abut that album?

“Because I  like it, that’s all.

“When have you listened to that?

“On this. It's an Mp3 player. I bought it last week

“Have you got the new album on that thing?

“Yes

“What other Bruce albums are on there?

“All of them.

I was struck dumb.  Sarah looked out of the window.

"Pull over where that marshall is with the yellow vest. We're here.

• Loving this thread! X

• The demographic of Springsteen fans has changed over the years.  The callow youths with mullets and drainpipe jeans are now middle aged and balding middle manager types who now take their sons and daughters with them.  The arena was hot with anticipation.   I bought a couple of drinks and we stood in the concourse talking.  Ex’s, kids, work, mortgages, friends. Then we realised we had something in common. Something that is endlessly fascinating if you are a people person. We both were avid people watchers. (ie.nosey).

“Don’t tell me she’s with him?”

“Shush, don’t look now, but, you see these two behind us, they’re in the middle of a proper domestic.

“These two aren’t married to each other.

“How can you tell?

“Inappropriate snogging over the age of forty.

“Maybe they’re just in love?

“Maybe.

I had a pain in my face that started to worry me. Like I’d just been the dentist. Then it hit me. I hadn’t stopped smiling for ages. 

“So what is your favourite song on the new album?

“You’re the expert, you tell me

“I asked first.

“Well if he plays it I’ll let you know,

“Ok, I will too

“Anyway Tom , we will be buggered if it’s the first song,

“Why?

“He’s come on stage!

In twenty years of seeing Bruce I had never ever missed him walking out onto the stage. But then again, I had never met anyone like Sarah.

We rushed through the dark auditorium and edged past angry fans to our seat.  We were twenty rows back in the middle.  We sat as Bruce  finished his first number.  I looked down. We were  holding hands. 

Bruce was his usual charismatic self.   Not many people can stand alone on a stage and hold three thousand souls in the palm of his hand.  But I wasn’t really interested in the Boss.  I couldn’t stop looking at Sarah. 

I made excuses to interrupt her.

“What do you think?

“Good.

“Isn’t he brilliant?

“Tom, let’s listen.

“Ok. “

To be honest, Bruce could have been playing Tiger Feet, I wasn’t really interested.  That is until he played the next song.

The first bars rang out.  This was my favourite track. I was at a Springsteen concert with a beautiful girl.  I have never taken drugs, but I guess this is what it must feel like.  No, that’s wrong, I don’t think the strongest narcotic cooked up in any lab could have  replicated that feeling.

We mouthed the  following exchange to each over the music….

“This is my favourite!

“Is it? it’s mine too.

“Why are you crying?

“Because you are.

Then I closed my eyes and moved forward into the space in front of me where my kiss met Sarah’s. I thought my chest would explode.  A warm soft dizzy kiss. A kiss that made you glad to be alive. 

“You’re really beautiful you know.

Reply there was none.  Just a smile, a slight colouring, and yet another delicious, heart stopping, goose bumping, angel calling…..kiss.

Oh the song?

This is the song. Our song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqvYVe2bQxE

version recorded in Italy a week after our concert.

• Little JulesLittle Jules Posts: 1,538

image this really made me smile! (And I'm glad you made it to the kiss!)

• Yay!!! We finally get to see the lovely side of Sarah! That's a lovely song by the way. Even my fiance likes it and he is notoriously picky about music!

• thanks for the kinds words guys x

• VictoriaoVictoriao Posts: 1,536

Wow, sounds like an amazing concert and that the show wasn't just on the stage! Keep writing more and don't change how you write - we all out the negative side (sometime!) of our other halves but that doesn't mean that we don't love them. I for one have always found your descriptions of Sarah to be affectionate and loving. Not only that but shoegate (as I think it should now be known as) had my other half laughing and completely understanding as to what you had gone through!

• LeaMarieLeaMarie Posts: 723

I have to say that through your writing Tom, I didn't actually pick out any negative tones about Sarah, and found your descriptions about her and your emotions for her actually very refreshing.

The only tones that I picked up were of your pure admiration and growing love for this lady.

I am very much enjoying reading this thread and cannot wait to read more!

• Mucky LizMucky Liz Posts: 9

I think you probably look like a young Arthur Mullard. Well, middle aged I suppose, I keep forgetting you're 40+.

• i absolutely love reading this!

• Encores over,  the concert finished. We entered the concourse and weaved through the milling crowds.  We broke momentarily and in an instant Sarah was gone.  I turned 360 degrees but she had vanished into the throng.  I rang her, but the network was busy. I reckoned the best way to retrieve her would be to stay put. After what seemed like an age she emerged from the dissipating fans carrying something.

"Where did you go?

"I got you a present. If we ever go to another show you’re not wearing that tatty thing

She held out her hand. She had bought me a  brand new tour t shirt. And  she got one for herself too. 

After a quick visit to the ladies she emerged as Bruces' newest fan.

And so we emerged into the crepuscular sky different people.  I have never held onto someone’s hand so tightly, guiding her through the crowds, glaring at any idiot who stepped into her path. She was now mine, no one was going to take her away. We got into the car and waited for the traffic to clear.  It didn’t matter.

We kissed  - just over forties inappropriate snog alert!  But it was appropriate. It was the most appropriate thing ever.

The drive home was muted, it was like the coach ride back to the airport after a holiday romance.  Reality rushed in through the windows like a spring tide.  We arrived at her car.  It was time to say goodbye.

“My mum’s with the kids so she will be expecting me back.

“Ok where did you say you’d been?

“Oh just out with a friend

“Well you didn’t lie then

“I did

“Why? Am I not your friend?

“Of course, but I don’t want you as a friend. I want…

Her voice trailed off.  One last kiss and she was gone. I drove home alone.  We texted each other until late.  I fell asleep listening to Our Song on repeat.

I wanna build me a house, on higher ground

I wanna find me a world, where love's the only sound

High above this road, filled with shadow and doubt

I want to shoulder my load, and figure it all out

With Leah

I walk this road, with a hammer and a fiery lantern

With this hand I've built, and with this I've burned

I wanna live in the same house, beneath the same roof

Sleep in the same bed, search for the same proof

As Leah

I got somethin' in my heart, I been waitin' to give

I got a life I wanna start, one I been waitin' to live

No more waitin', tonight I feel the light I say the prayer

I open the door, I climb the stairs...

• MrsMGtobeMrsMGtobe Posts: 612

Great posts Tom. I love that Sarah bought you both t-shirts; they're great momentos to keep! image

• I woke up on Saturday morning  to 9 missed calls.  Sarah’s bloody keen I thought. Then I looked at the call list.  oh dear. Then a text. Off the ex.  Suprisingly polite seeing as though i was in the wrong.

Tom. Can you put the hairbrush down, stop miming to the boss and come and pick up these kids?! 

The gymnastics and football practice was part of the Divorced Dad routine and. I was late for both.  There was no point going home so I watched Emma go through her gymnastics.  As she did her back flips and summersaults I gazed into space wondering how a new relationship could survive  two ex’s, three mortgages and four kids.

And the logistics couldn’t have been any more awkward.  I had my kids at the weekend ;she had hers in the week.  Her working hours didn’t coincide with mine. And worst of all, she  was a Capricorn and I was a Cancer, and we all know what that means!  

It was like being given the keys to the sweetshop only for someone to break in overnight and change the locks.  It wasn’t fair.   And dissecting a relationship via electronic means was a waste of time. 

The  iron was hot, it needed to be struck.  So I went along to our next date with surprise number two up my sleeve.

Our meet was once again at the generic multinational tax dodging coffee and tea emporium in the precinct.  I was beginning to hate that place.  The dull eyed girl behind the counter with half a scrap yard hanging off her face and her gormless colleague with the acne and runny nose.

Then, for the first time since the concert I saw Sarah. She walked though the door with that smile that could light up a stadium.  Immediately, the stress of the day evaporated like  morning mist in the summer sun. I snatched my watery hot chocolate and we weaved our way through the laptops and vacant looking student types and sat at our table. Big smiles and more big smiles that segued into giggles about nothing in particular.  My hand weaved past the menu to find hers.

“So have you listened to any more Bruce albums?

“No I deleted them all, it was only a ruse to get you into bed.

Have you ever done that coughing out of the nose/splutter thing with a hot chocolate? It’s like  being jump started in second.

“Are you alight?

"I’m fine.

"That was a joke by the way.

"I’m sure it was.

"Well, half a joke. (big smile)

Now, I do believe, if John Motson had been sat at the next table with his sheepskin coat and Microphone he would have described the following conversation thusly:

And that’s a lovely pass from Rooney to the feet of Tom Hughes - he’s clear through,  and the flag stays down , he’s on side , surely he must score!

Surprise number two was half out of my pocket when Sarah’s ex rang and they recommenced the argument that had been going on since 1998.  Sarah’s face changed to black and the surprise went back into my pants

“And would you believe it – he’s put it wide!”

• Tom, you are such a tease you need to stop referring to surprises in your pants!

Talk about keeping people wanting more, phew

• Candy

You are making me blush image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.