Songbird's Wedding Day

• SongbirdsingsSongbirdsings Posts: 1,290

My hairdresser arrived to do mine and my daughters hair. She is also my friend,and along with her came her husband, who was taking photographs for us. He isn't a professional photographer, just has a keen interest. He is a lovely guy and worked so hard all day taking over 500 photos for us.

As some will remember, I made my own headpiece- lace applique decorated with pearls and crystals on a pearl headband. I'm thinking of making some more of these....so if anyone is interested, just get in touch.

When it came to make up, I had always intended to do my own. I do take quite a lot of trouble with my make up and so felt happier doing it my way. I did buy several new products and I have to say, everything stayed in place so well all day that I didn't need to do anything other than reapply lipstick. I know make up products are a personal choice thing but, because my face make up did stay put so well, I'll just share what I used in case it's helpful to anyone.

Face primer- Smashbox photo finish
    Foundation- L' oreal infallible 24hr (I bought two other more expensive brands but neither as good as this)
    Blusher- Bobbi brown powder
    Concealer and MY NEW FAVOURITE ESSENTIAL....Bobbi brown corrective spot ( this looks like a very small item for the cost, but it is brilliant! I have two small pigment patches that I've always struggled to cover- this did it perfectly and stayed put. Also great on spots and blemishes)
    Finally, a mist of Urban Decay all nighter setting spray. This works!

• PoppinsPoppins Posts: 3,146

The flowers are stunning! The wreath is just out of this world! Xxx

I definitely would have has one of your headpieces!!!! Xxx

• SW84SW84 Posts: 992

YAY songbird you've started your report image

Seriously your flowers that you arranged are stunning - fancy coming and doing my church flowersimage

Love the wreath perfect touch - and pleased to hear she sorted the buttonholes out and so she should at £17 a pop !!!

Looking forward to reading more

xxx

• Kath24Kath24 Posts: 54

Wow what can I say? I think everyone has already said it all you are an inspiration and should be very proud, the gingerbread church and gingerbread bride and grooms are fantastic what a pleasure to read your story 

xx

• :D:D Posts: 1,805

Have YAYW asked if they can feature your wedding yet? Everything is so beautiful image might have to try the all nighter setting spray and corrective spot, thanks for the tips!

• Everything looked so beautiful! What a perfect day x

• Pig  BearPig Bear Posts: 447

So pretty! The flowers are gorgeous. 

• Its all sooo beautiful - your confetti bags put my first attempt to shame! Must try harder... image

I would also LOVE a headpiece image

Can't wait to hear more!

• Speccy4eyesSpeccy4eyes Posts: 2,050

I've never even heard of all night setting spray

Learn something new everyday.... Now I need to go investigate lol

• Lynsey ShawLynsey Shaw Posts: 517

I am so glad that you have started your report Songbird.  Everything is just gorgeous.  I am so pleased for you.  This has really cheered me up xXx

• VictoriaoVictoriao Posts: 1,537

Absolutely stunning. Gorgeous flowers image  More, more!!!

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments. Lynsey, I've thought of you often..I do hope you're coping ok, being kind to yourself...such a shock for you. Xx

12 midday (ceremony at 1pm) and there was just myself and my daughter left in the house. It seemed suddenly calm. She helped get me into my dress. There were anxious moments as she laced me up...after the problem that I'd had with the modesty panel being a little small and me having to alter it two days previously, I was worried that it wouldn't be right. Thankfully, all was fine but, my goodness, corseted in or what! It felt very tight and restricting. I wondered how on earth I would ever be able to bend enough in the middle to sit down! Lace up backs do give though and I was pleased that the seamstress had told me that when the dress warms up and adjusts to your body, the laces usually do need to be made tighter.

My oldest childhood friend arrived to take us around to the hotel in his car. He was the perfect choice... Calm and jokey, he took some photos before we left the house.

It's a very short drive to the hotel. Once there we were ushered into a separate building so that none of the wedding party could see us. The registrars came to see me to check details and run through the plans. My eldest son popped by to tell me that all was well inside the ceremony room,that everyone was there and all was well. It was the first time he had seen me in my dress...I will always remember the look on his face and him saying "Mum you look beautiful". Then my Dad arrived...he was walking in with me. The registrar actually asked me if I'd like to be a few minutes late....me, late?! I'm never late!  Time to go, across the courtyard and into the main hotel building.

....where Mr B was waiting! 

I know I've said it before but you look so beautiful songbird!!! Lovely photo of you and your dad xxx

One thing that slightly irritated me,as we stood outside the open door of the ceremony room waiting to go in, was noisy hotel guests. They were looking and some passing comment as you'd expect, but they were talking and I couldn't hear my entrance music being played. I was willing the hotel Master of Ceremonies that was there to tell them to be quiet, but he didn't. I remember my daughter turning around and telling some random guy to "shush"! She was panicking because she knew exactly at which bar of "Moon River" we needed to enter to get the timings right!

I loved seeing everyone's faces turned towards me, smiling, as I entered. And then there was Mr B smiling encouragement as I walked towards him. The next thing I thought was "it's so hot in here, I'll probably faint!". Of course I didn't, but it was incredibly hot. You can see from the photos that the room was small and there were lots of candles burning away. I tried to take in everything...the candelabra in the two windows and the corners of the room, the flowers on the registrars table...so beautiful (the florist afterwards told me that when she took them to the hotel, she spotted their wisteria outside looking lovely so she snipped some off and quickly added it to the arrangement!).

The first reading, "Destiny",was read by my very dear friend. The second was by my youngest son (17) who read a Native American love poem. It was his first time at doing anything like it...he amazed me with his calmness and clarity and I loved it when he turned to look at us as he read his last line... "The adventure has just begun"

Like many others on here, I had been so worried that I was going to be over emotional and cry my way through it...I didn't! Surprisingly, not one tear. I think, when you say your vows, you are just concentrating so hard and are so focused. A very strong memory for me was the way that Mr B said his vows. He is quite used to public speaking and so I always thought he would be more confident than me. What I hadn't contemplated, was the way in which he said his vows and promises with such conviction and meaning. Unforgettable.

The whole ceremony felt so intimate, everyone felt so near to us...but not in a bad way. There were just 32 guests and throughout the readings and the signing of the register, I was able to make eye contact and smile at each and every one of them.
    Our cellist, my sons girlfriend, played "What a wonderful world" whilst we signed the register. He has always told me how good she is...he wasn't wrong. It sounded so beautiful I felt like I wanted it to go on forever.

A round of applause and "Fly Me To The Moon" to play us out...

• :D:D Posts: 1,805

I just got a bit tearful image Thank you for sharing all the little details.

I got tearful too!!! The flowers on the table really are out of this world! Xxx

Stunning flowers. I love that little bit about how the florist "borrowed" the venues wisteria. beautiful. 

• BanariBanari Posts: 1,847

I welled up reading that Songbirds. especially your sons comment he first saw you.

keep writing we are all eagerly awaiting more ????

• MrsMGtobeMrsMGtobe Posts: 612

I am another one welling up at your beautiful intimate ceremony. So very happy for you. Lots of beautiful memories to treasure. image I loved the bit about your son telling you how beautiful you are.

Haha.. What a bunch of softies we all are image  X   As long as you are enjoying the read....I was worried that I was going on a bit too much and dragging it out! 

• We just read your report , Sarah is tearful what a beautiful ceremony x

• MissP4nowMissP4now Posts: 166

Wow. What a beautiful wedding. You look gorgeous. I got a bit teary too

We had always planned to have our drinks reception in the walled garden. We particularly wanted the beautiful wisteria to be the background for our photos. As we came out of the ceremony, the sunshine had come out (previously there had been showers) and we quickly had to decide whether to risk outside or take the safer option of indoors in one of the reception rooms. We risked outside! The saxophonist had already set up indoors but was very obliging and moved his kit outside.

Some may recall that we had come across our singer saxophonist, Paul Martyn, when he was playing at a Christmas event at John Lewis, over three years ago. At the time we were very impressed took his business card. I always had it in mind that I would love to have him play...but at the time I was thinking maybe at a birthday party. The wedding wasn't even a known event back then! For anyone in the Midlands-ish area I can highly recommend him. Not only can he sing and play brilliantly, but he is also very professional and totally reliable.

We did the usual....chatting, kisses and congratulations,compliments, photographs and peach bellini.  The guests seemed to like the tree I'd put the name tag keys on, detailing which table they were sitting at for the meal. I think there were a couple of people unsure about whether to actually take their key tag off the tree or leave it there...but I got one of my lads to go round and give out those that were left still hanging. 

This is my lovely Mum and Dad. My Mum has just been diagnosed with advanced terminal cancer which has been a huge shock to us all. It was very special to have her there, especially knowing that it will most probably be the last "family" event that we will all be together. I love the way she and Mr B are holding hands...as if she is really gripping on to him! 

This was one photo that I had specifically asked to be taken. The hands of my mum, my daughter and I.   Very special. 

I may be on my hen and full of wine unable to sleep so thought I would pop on, but that last photo has moved me to tears with the poignancy that it was taken with. Knowing that at the time answers were awaited and what the future holds 

cant say much more other than they are both beautiful pictures and are wonderful memories to have, to keep and cherish. Xxxx

• Snowy78Snowy78 Posts: 453

Your report is amazing Songbirds - I love the little touches. You look so beautiful in your dress and your florist did such a great job on the flowers, so pretty yet not too much.

It really was a special occasion in more ways than one, it's lovely that you got to share it with your Mum also, I especially love the picture of the three of you holding hands - truely special. I lost my Mum 12 years ago to Cancer and it is incrediably hard. But at least you can make each day that you have together as special as possible. She looks so happy in the pictures.

Can't wait to read more xx

Victoriao...thank you. Happy hen! Hope you're having a lovely time. Nice that even after your night out, you're keeping an eye on us all image

Snowy, thank you for your kind words. Sorry that you are without your Mum, it must be especially hard at times like this when you're planning such a big personal event.