Songbird's Wedding Day

• VictoriaoVictoriao Posts: 1,537

Hehe - not so much keeping an eye on everyone, more having a nosey whilst waiting for sleep to kick in!! I'm very impressed with my typing, a large quantity of white wine was consumed last night!image

just wanted to say all our other pictures are gorgeous too and you look to have had an extremely special day. image

• Princess KPrincess K Posts: 200

This is soooo beautiful Songbird, you looked beautiful, I love all the tiny beautiful details and the flowers you arranged were phenomenal!!  Very impressive- I wish I had a creative bone in my body!

• Little JulesLittle Jules Posts: 1,538

Songbird I've just caught up with all of this and it just looks amazing! All the details are so beautiful - particularly the flowers. You all look so lovely and so happy, and I'm so pleased your mum was able to be there.

• KK12KK12 Posts: 927

It all looks beautiful hun and love all your little touches - the flowers are truly stunning though! image 

• Mrs BakeMrs Bake Posts: 1,651

Songbird - everything is beautiful.

You did an amazing job and I'm glad you had such a wonderful day.

• SW84SW84 Posts: 992

Such a lovely photo of you & your mum and one to treasure given her news.

I have said it before but you really do look so beautiful songbird and Mr scrubs up well too.

Everything is just lovely

xxx

• SongbirdsingsSongbirdsings Posts: 1,290

We were allocated a maître d' for the whole day. Philip was amazing...he knew exactly what was happening at every point of the day. He had the perfect balance of efficient, professional,friendly and approachable with a way of making you feel like the most important couple ever! He anticipated the need for umbrellas to be brought outside when he saw the grey clouds gathering. It was time to go inside to eat, just as the first few drops of rain started to fall. Effortlessly the staff rushed forth with umbrellas for everyone (ha, so glad I hadn't purchased myself!).
    Whilst our guests took their seats, I had chance to pop to the toilet. Now, because I know we all like those little details, I'm putting in these next photos! How cool are the walls in the ladies toilet?!image

It was fun, if a little embarrassing, being clapped and cheered by our guests as we entered the dining room. I hadn't prepared myself for the fact that everyone would remain standing until Philip had slipped the chair in behind me ( bending in the middle in my dress was not the easiest thing to do and with everyone watching....) when I was seated...then everyone else could sit.
    I was actually stunned by how beautiful the room looked with it's oak panelled walls, leaded windows and sumptuous drapes. They had dimmed the lights as I had asked them to and the candelabra on the tables looked so pretty. I remember thinking, I'm so glad I got glass crystal garlands for them..they were actually twinkling! It was so lovely to see peoples faces as they commented to each other about the silver pheasant table name holders and matching condiment sets. A few of them caught my eye and winked and smiled as they read the quotes that I had written on the back of their favour tags.

Originally, our saxophonist guy wasn't going to play during the meal but,our pre dinner drinks were only lasting about an hour, so he had said that he was happy to play for the first part of the meal also. What a lovely man....he just kept going...played for the entirety! It completed the atmosphere and everyone commented on it afterwards. At the risk of sounding very corny...I honestly thought I could, at that point of the day, burst with happiness! There in front of me, in this beautiful setting, were all my nearest and dearest laughing and smiling, and it was as if Paul the saxophonist had made the decision to play and sing every one of the songs I had told him were my favourites. Just one after another...it was perfect!

The other "entertainment" later on in the proceedings was when two of the tables found the flower arrangements on the candelabra starting to emit smoke! Obviously, as the candles burnt down, they must have been just a bit too close to the flowers. There was a bit of a napkin flapping panic moment as they were extinguished! 

We were asked at the start of the meal whether we wished ourselves or our guests to be served first. A nice idea we thought, and opted that we,on the top table would be served last. That surprised a few people!

Our menu..

Seared scallops, slow cooked pork belly and butternut squash purée with a hint of cumin

Slow roasted chicken and ham terrine with apricot compote and toasted sour dough

Pan-fried line caught seabass, mini crab cake and spring onion and basil velouté

Boneless saddle of lamb glazed with honey and mustard with roasted aubergine and peppercorn sauce

(Think the photographer had already started on his, pictured here!)

After the first two courses, a  dessert trolley and also a cheese trolley were wheeled in. So much choice! The waitress "presented" the selection to everyone, describing each dessert, of which there was about ten different ones including Eton mess, caramel panna cotta, summer fruit pudding, profiteroles, fruit creme patisserie tartlet The maître d' described the cheeses...in such an entertaining way that had everyone laughing. 

• Little JulesLittle Jules Posts: 1,538

Wow, that all looks amazing! Love the toilet walls, and that dessert and cheese sounds great. Also, it must be so nice to know that everyone appreciated all the little things that you had put together image

• Lynsey ShawLynsey Shaw Posts: 517

As always Songbird, stunning!

I love the idea of a dessert trolley.  Wish my venue offered that service!

Thank you Jules and Lynsey. 

We decided to have the speeches after dessert and before coffee. They were done informally. My eldest son who was Best Man went first. Very moving and I felt very proud. Then my father (a bit daunted, he did a toast rather than a speech). My daughter fought her nerves and stood up to do an impromptu speech, focusing on how happy she was that her mum had met Mr B and how he was a person that she and her brothers loved and trusted. Then Mr B...confident, meaningful and of course endearing. I saw a few teary eyes in the room. A friend kindly video recorded them for us, but I'm still waiting to see them. It will be lovely to hear what was said again because you just can't take it all in at the time. 

The time passed so quickly. I suddenly realised that we were already later than the time that I had told the caterer, who was back at our house, that we would be returning.  In the planning stages I had envisaged us leaving the hotel as a group and all walking through the town, but this didn't happen in the end. I wasn't perturbed about it at the time and it did give us some "space". Some of the guests needed to check into their room or to get changed for the evening do. I had printed out some maps for those that didn't know where we lived...great, except that I hadn't actually drawn the route on! Thankfully son number 2 rushed round with a pen!

The ten minute walk home was lovely. The weather had improved. As you would expect, we got lots of stares and smiles and a few people shouting congratulations. There was a lovely little girl walking with her mum, clearly very excited to see a real Bride!

• :D:D Posts: 1,805

Love the idea of walking home together as man and wife image Did he carry you? image  Beautiful photograph of you both in front of your home. 

Fantastic that you have a recording of everyone's speeches, I bet you were overcome with pride image Looking forward to reading more about your day.

I love it image  We are walking as a group from the church to our reception venue around the corner.  Not the same thing, I know, but seeing your pictures is making me excited about my own wedding!  

: D, did he carry me?! that would have been a recipe for disaster! image

Lynsey, you'll love the walk and it will be especially nice when it's just after the service...there's so much you want to chat about with each other! 

• ChazzytChazzyt Posts: 918

Aww finally had time to read your wedding report, I can't believe it has taken me so long. When you wrote about actually getting married I got all emotional, it sounds utterly magical. 

Your flowers that you did yourself looked beautiful - you look so happy on the pic arranging them. Your garden & with the marquee in it looks absolutely stunning, all the flowers look fantastic & the wreath....amazing. You looked stunning, love the pic of mr b, he looks very proud. Ooo teary again with the pics of your mum, such special memories.  It shows how much thought & time you have put in to everything, It seems such a perfect day, I can't wait to read more xx     
  • MrsE2be2014MrsE2be2014 Posts: 1,459

OMG how I have only just seen this report I will never know as I've been waiting for it!!

The photos you have shared are beautiful.....you done a fantastic job with the things you put your hands to, flowers, order of services, tree, name keys, I could go on! The heart wreath and your bouquet are absolutely stunning I bet the thought of the cost didnt even enter your head when you saw them as they are beautiful! Your dress is lovely and definitely didnt look too tight or restrictive for you.

I also agree with the others the pic of your mum, you and your daughters hands is priceless and you will cherish that forever!

Pls share more xx 

• Lou85Lou85 Posts: 1,805 New bride

Yay! Just returned from honeymoon to this. It all looks utterly stunning. Your flowers are beautiful, your dress, you, your details. You have a lovely home. Congratulations and a lifetime of happiness to you both xx 

• NuggyNuggy Posts: 527

Wow! Everything is just stunning. The photo of you, your Mum and Daughter's hands is so beautiful and made me cry! x

Thanks for your lovely comments ladies image . I wasn't sure anyone was reading anymore so you've inspired me to keep going with the rest of the day. 

When we opened our front door the caterer was there, ready to congratulate us and hand us a glass of champagne. She had, as requested, lit the candles on the two candelabra I had placed on the hall sideboard and...oh no!...the wax from them was dripping everywhere!  I mean like it was pouring all over the sideboard and she hadn't seemed to notice! (I realised later that it was probably because I had instructed that the back door be taken off it's hinges and removed to allow easier access to the garden. I think it created a big draft through to where the candles were). Unfortunately, it sort of flipped me into practical mode and, instead of accepting the champagne and drifting through into the garden, I went into super practical mode and started ordering my son to sort it out and get the LED candles in quick image. Poor boy, I was a bit harsh on him. Anyway, Sara the caterer was brilliant and basically told me to go outside, stop flapping and enjoy myself whilst she sorted everything out. 

Soon, the rest of the guests started to arrive and quickly the marquee and garden were filled with lively chatter and sound of Paul and his saxophone. 

We were fairly lucky with the weather although it did stay quite breezy which meant that we had to keep the sides on the marquee and just have the front, onto the garden, open. This meant that we lost valuable floor space and the area I had left clear of tables and chairs, hoping that it might become a little dance area, was soon used up. The one thing I was really glad we had, was the heater! We definitely could not have managed without it (even though the marquee man had tried to put us off having it!)

I really loved having everyone there at our house. It's the first big "do" we have had in the two years we have lived there. After my initial panic over the practical stuff of drinks, food, toilets, were there enough chairs, was the right drink out etc, I started to relax and really enjoy myself. 

We had set the sweet table up in the hall. Everyone loved it!  It made me smile when I saw the photos, how the young girl in the picture on the wall (I call her Alice!) , looks as if she is looking longingly at the sweets! 

I'm so jealous of your beautiful house! 

Your sweet tables looked scrumptious! What did you put on it? 

The jeroboam champagne bottle for guests messages and well wishes was on another table in the hall. I had made the little cards for people to write on and the antique ink well and pen stand was a gift that my youngest gave me.

I found I really had to "encourage" people to go and write on a card. I think some of the older guests just didn't get it! Anyway, the bottle is pretty full now and we will open them on our first wedding Anniversary (though I'm not quite sure how we will get them out of the bottle without smashing it, which does seem rather a shame) 

And, of course, my daughter got lots of compliments on her gingerbread church! 

As did I on my Wedding Cake! image

Hi Lynsey image . We had a few boxes worth of Thorntons chocs arranged in a pyramid,white and pink choc mice, dolly mixtures, rhubarb and custard, fudge, coconut mushrooms, smarties, jelly babies, Percy pigs, marshmallow hearts. I had waited until the day after Valentines Day to go into M&S and get lots of their foil wrapped chocolate hearts, jelly hearts etc...at half price! 

We decided that, as the majority of our guests had been at the main reception and had a  formal meal, that we would have a Ploughman's type supper in the evening. It was laid out in the dining room and guests wandered in and out as they wished. We had carved ham, several cheeses, pate, handmade scotch quails eggs, red cabbage coleslaw, smoked salmon, prawns and two types of pork pie. The caterer used the antique bakers proving trough that I bought to display artisan bread rolls. I was so busy chatting to everyone that I didn't eat! 

Those of you that followed my planning thread may remember that I had a bit of a Jane Austen theme going on ( quotes in the invitation and at the back of the order of service, tables named after houses in her novels). If you look carefully at this photo, you'll see my Mr Darcy picture making an appearance! image

• PoppinsPoppins Posts: 3,146

I feel like in repeating myself when I say everything looks stunning! Your house is beautiful Songbird! Your photos are so so lovely! Xxx

• VictoriaoVictoriao Posts: 1,537

I echo poppins entirely stunning!! The house is beautiful and I can not think of a better venue for your evening reception. All your carefully planning shows and it doesn't look like much food went to waste even if you didn't eat!

• Future MrsCFuture MrsC Posts: 684

Gorgeous songbird xxx

My best friends husband is not only our family dentist, but happens to be a member of the magic circle. He went around groups of guests doing close up magic and left everyone saying " just HOW did he do that?!" image.

After we had cut the cake we gave it out to guests. 

It was starting to get dark and the candles were lit around the garden. 

We sort of had a first dance....if I'm honest I wish we hadn't. Mr B was never too keen about it, so I knew that there would have to be the perfect moment if it was to happen. Our singer had gone to the trouble of learning "The Book of Love" (Peter Gabriel. From the film Shall We Dance). What really made it feel very awkward was that a "friend" decided it was appropriate for her to join him on the microphone and sing along (in a somewhat drunken, karaoke way image). I am still really cross with her....but there's not much you can do at the time is there?! 

When the first guests started to say their goodbyes, I felt so sad that the day was ending...but it had been absolutely wonderful. Exactly how we had wanted our day to be. 

It's at this point that I want to thank you for reading. To those of you who have followed my wedding journey, thank you for your support, enthusiasm and ideas. For those of you still to  marry...I shall be continuing to enjoy reading your planning threads and look forward to seeing the photographs of each of your own wedding days. Xximage

• PoppinsPoppins Posts: 3,146

The garden looks beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing your day with us Songbird! It was truly one of the most beautful weddingd ive ever read or seen, you are so talented and you need to put your talents into a wedding planning business! lots of love lovely xxx