Songbird's Wedding Day

124»

• VictoriaoVictoriao Posts: 1,537

Absolutely gorgeous. Such a shame about your drunken karaoke friend. I love the garden pictures at night. You must be so proud of all the hard work that you put in.

• Little JulesLittle Jules Posts: 1,538

Aw Songbird, everything just looks so amazing. I'm sad that your report is over! Your garden is so beautiful, and it looked as though everything worked out well. Except for the karaoke... and maybe you can just think of that as wedding personalisation?!

• Lynsey ShawLynsey Shaw Posts: 517

A wedding worthy of a centre spread in You and Your Wedding.  Everything was just stunning Songbird.  I am really sad that we won't be seeing more posts about what little crafty things you are stitching together.  Now that you have some spare time on your hands, maybe you'd like to dress my marqueeimage

• ChazzytChazzyt Posts: 918

Your garden looks amazing all lit up, I have truly loved reading your plans then seeing them all coming today, you looked to have had a perfect day. Hows married life going? How's your mum? Xx

• Future MrsCFuture MrsC Posts: 684

Oh, songbird I didn't want your story to end image thankyou so much for sharing with us xx

• TadpoleTadpole Posts: 2,134

Thank you so much for this Songbird - it is all just beautiful and lovely to see something coming together so well in the end! In honesty you really should consider starting some sort of crafting wedding enterprise - you'll have seen that there certainly is a market for it!

Glad to hear that you are here to stay too - wouldn't be the same without your sage advice! xxx

P.S The evening buffet sounds fabulous, I do love a ploughmans...

• SongbirdsingsSongbirdsings Posts: 1,290

Thank you all so much...Poppins, little Jules, Victoriao, Chazzyt, Lynsey, future MrsC, Toad.  I was showing the DVD of the wedding to someone yesterday and it brought it all back and so made me want to do it all again.  

I do really miss all the planning. I ordered some things the other day with the thought of making a couple of headpieces that I will try to sell, see if there's any interest. Meanwhile, if anyone on here wants one or hears of someone who does please PM me!

Lynsey...huge compliment. You're too kind. 

Chazzy, mum is doing ok thanks. Still rather in denial I think. She has completed her weeks course of palliative radiotherapy to try to ease her symptoms....I think both my parents have a desperate hope that it will act as a treatment, though they have been told several times this is not so. She has lost loads of weight. She absolutely loved seeing all the wedding photos and chatting about it when I saw her yesterday. image

As for married life...it's wonderful and it DOES feel different (which surprises me because we previously bumbled along like a married couple anyway!). I have to say we have had a lot of stressful challenges since we returned from honeymoon. My routine breast screening showed an abnormality and I had to have several biopsies and the awful wait before thankfully being given the all clear. Mr B has been diagnosed with a heart condition and will require a procedure under anaesthetic in the next few weeks. He is now on a lot of medication and signed off sick from work. Lovely to have him around but very worrying as he has had a couple of bad attacks that make me very anxious. Our family holiday to Italy may have to be cancelled....he is adamant we should still go, I'm not so sure it's a sensible move. Throw into the stress pot FIL being admitted to hospital 6 hrs away with ?stroke. So, it's been hectic. I've indulged in loads of comfort eating and there is no way that modesty panel would be big enough now! Hopefully things will settle down soon. 

• MrsE2be2014MrsE2be2014 Posts: 1,459

Songsbird your garden is absolutely stunning and I dont think any venue would stand a chance with the gorgeous setting you created! Sad your story has come to and end your having a few troubles since your wedding day, I'm sure everything will work out and I have my fingers crossed for your mum and you now husband xxx

• MrsDtoBe4MrsDtoBe4 Posts: 7

Songsbird I just joined this site recently and been secretly following a few threads. Your photos are all gorgeous. Your DIY is great, wish I was as creative. Your house and garden looks amazing-the last few pictures of your garden lit up are beautiful. You looked gorgeous. Congratulations and glad you've been enjoying married life-hope everything settles down for you soon x

• Little JulesLittle Jules Posts: 1,538

Songbird, sorry to hear that things have been so difficult since you got back, that does seem like a lot of things to deal with all at once. I hope that things get more positive soon.

Oh no Songbird image  I am so sorry to hear that you are having quite a few family health issues.  I know that feeling all too well.  Remember we are all here to lean on.  Bride pals are for life!   xxx

• ChazzytChazzyt Posts: 918

Awww you sound like you have been going through such a hard time. Big hug. & hope things improve soon. Bless your mum, memories of the wedding to last forever, try stay strong xx

• Letty LouLetty Lou Posts: 219

So sorry to hear about the rough time you have had recently! Your wedding looks absolutely stunning!! I love everything you have done! You should definitely look into making making a career out of it! I'm really going to miss your posts!! Xxx

• Ive just thoroughly enjoyed myself reading your thread for the past hour. I had saved it up as a treat! image It all looked so lovely.

Im thinking about having a florist doing a couple of bouquets, but like you had planned on doing the flowers myself for the vases/jamjars. What flowers did you use? Im not very good with the names of them, but I loved the way yours looked

Thank you everyone for such lovely comments and compliments. It's starting to feel like it happened weeks ago now. image

Trouble and Strife, it was such fun doing the flowers...you should definitely do. I told the market flower guy that I was going for "country style/English garden flowers" in pinks, creams and lilac. I asked for scented stocks (in the usual 3 colours of cream, pink & lilac), cream roses, freesias, phlox, hyacinths(fantastic scent but may be harder to get now), wax flowers. I also asked him to get me some "delicate and feathery" greenery. It was honestly the most relaxing 2hrs I spent on the day before the wedding! 

• Thanks so much, that's what I'm after... The English country garden look. I'm not sure how much to get though. I guess I'll have to play it by ear image did you or them all in vases the day before and did they last well? 

Yes, they all went in jugs/jars/vases midday on the day before. They lasted really well. I gave them away to guests and they said they were going strong a week later. It's hard to know how many....I think gather up all your vessels and try to imagine what you need in each. Remember the greenery will fill them out. I'd definitely get stocks.. they are showy and reasonably priced. The freesias were the most expensive I had, but they looked nice and delicate. Roses you can't go wrong with. Oh, I forgot, I also had quite a bit of gypsophilia. 

This may be a cheeky question Songbird and feel free not to answer.  

Your handmade wedding was done to an extremely high standard and I am guessing that it must have cost you a fortune.  I am estimating over £20k in my head.  Did you stick to your budget?  

I was very lucky..there was no initial starting budget as such, but it's fair to say that it did work out more than I think either of us perceived it would be at the start of our planning. image Apart from a discussion on my dress where we agreed on a £2,000 budget (which I spent!) the rest of it I pretty much just had free reign.  The fact that I was making so much myself probably made Mr B think we were saving loads! Ha! So, your question just made me sit and do the sums....you were right, it comes in at just over £20,000 if I include the honeymoon. image  But remember...we are old, have done the mortgage and children thing...unlike you lovely young things just starting out with lots of expense to plan for! image

Lynsey, I PM'd you. X

• Lou85Lou85 Posts: 1,805 New bride

Hi Songbird, I was just wondering how everything was with you, and how your mum was getting on? X 

• Angie jAngie j Posts: 448

Ive been wondering the same thing. x

Oh, thank you both, that is so kind of you. 

My mum is doing surprisingly well considering. She has lost weight and only now able to eat very little. I keep thinking that she must surely go downhill very soon but, good old mum, she is a fighter. The consultant thinks it won't be long.

my next challenge is that my husbands recently diagnosed heart condition has not improved with medication and he is having a heart op on the 16th. I'm very worried. image

I tell you, that wedding day of ours seems such a long time ago! 

Bride31052014 and Angie, thank you and I hope things are good with you both. X

Hi Songbird, its good to hear you are ok & your mum is not too bad at the moment. 

No wonder you are worried about your husbands op but I hope once he has recovered from the operation he will be soon on the mend.  There is always something to worry about isn't there! 

Our weddings seem a long time ago now, not quite a distant memory but seems like another life sort of lol. I still havent got around to changing my name on things yet except my bank account, all seems a bit of a chore all the form filling. 

We have booked our holiday for next May though as after the excitement of the wedding day & a wonderful honeymoon it all seems quite flat after, needed something to look forward to especially as in a few weeks our only son will be off to uni! 

Fingers crossed for your hubbies op & your mum keeps comfortable Songbird xx

Changing name on everything is such a hassle, but I'm all done now except for my passport. I read that the most important ones that had to be done legally if you are going to use a new name are HMRC (which was easily done online) and also DVLA, so they were the first I did. 

Nice to have a holiday to look forward to. It does go so flat after the wedding doesn't it. Where is your son going to uni? Is it far from you? My middle one started last Sept which means I have just the youngest left to go in a years time. Both of us awaiting AS/A level results next week then?! 

• Lou85Lou85 Posts: 1,805 New bride

Glad to hear that you're ok and that your mum is fighting on. That must be so worrying about your husband - I hope that all goes well.

Make sure you look after yourself! image

x

• Hi Songbird,

Read through your beautiful report - everything looks so lovely - you have such skill in seeing the vision there!

Hope all's ok with Mr B, and your mum is comfortable.

xx

• SheandHimSheandHim Posts: 379

Your report is just gorgeous, thank you so much for sharing it.

I would be interested in one of your head pieces, if you're still considering creating more? image

Hi Songbird, my son is hopefully going to Portsmouth which is only about an hour from us so at least I will be able to pop down on a weekend & see him. I might stalk him lol. 

Week today for the results, so fingers crossed for our two! 

I did tell me accountant that I changed my name so hopefully he has sorted that now I was going to send off the driving licence a couple of days ago, good job I didnt I got done for speeding yesterday!  Gutted but it was my own stupid fault, was in my own merry little world on a quiet road & got zapped so thats £90 or £100 to cough up depending if I get the speed awareness course offered or not. Daren't send it off now in case I have to take it on the course.