Songbird's Wedding Day

I think it must be time to start my wedding report! I'm a bit concerned that it might be repetitive for those of you that have followed my plans leading up to the day, but I'll try to avoid that where possible.

For those of you that don't know me, this was my second marriage. My first husband let me down badly. When our children were older, I found the courage to divorce him and I thought then, that I would probably be on my own forever. Thankfully, I did meet my now husband, at a time and in circumstances that I least expected. He was recently widowed and, in those first few weeks of our meeting, we were a huge support to each other. My life in the last six years has turned around so dramatically. I have relocated to a different county, made new friends and found happiness that I feel so very fortunate to have.

From the time of our engagement I had a year in which to plan our Wedding. I loved every bit of it. From the outset I was determined to incorporate as many individual, handmade touches as possible. I made my own invitations, favours, orders of service, confetti bags, headpiece, place cards and seating plan, as well as lots of other things along the way. This time around, I didn't want a church wedding. We decided to have the ceremony and wedding meal at a famous coaching inn, The George Hotel, in the beautiful Georgian town of Stamford. We wanted the day to be very relaxed, where guests didn't need to worry about driving to different venues. Our house,being just a short walk through the town, meant that it was the ideal place for the reception in the evening.

• SongbirdsingsSongbirdsings Posts: 1,290

I will begin with the day before the wedding.
    It had started off a little fraught. The marquee for the evening had already been put up in the garden a couple of days previously but the guy needed to come back with tablecloths, lighting and some other things. We had, after seeing the weather forecast, asked him to provide the heater that we had always said we would probably need. He seemed reluctant, was trying to put us off having it and ended up being very rude on the phone. Our stress levels were rising. Thankfully, my eldest son(23) said that he would deal with it for us and we should make ourselves scarce and go out for breakfast. We left him a list of "must do's" and gladly disappeared, leaving things in his very capable hands. Good decision! We enjoyed a relaxed and happy breakfast at our favourite coffee shop and he texted me to say everything on our instruction list had been done by the marquee man, who had just left and the coast was clear for us to return home.

We popped to our lovely flower man on the market to collect the flowers that he had got in for me to decorate the marquee and garden with. We struggled home with several armfuls of flowers, all for the bargain price of £60! I then spent a blissful two hours in the kitchen arranging them in jugs and the glass jars that I had decorated. Some were for the tables and others to hang from trees or on shepherds crooks. Honestly, I was SO happy! It was at this point that I suddenly felt very excited. Everything was coming together.

The boys were putting up the bunting (that I bought from a bride on here and was so pleased with). My daughter was setting up the sweet table in the hall.

After that they set to, icing the gingerbread brides and grooms to go alongside the gingerbread church my daughter made.

• MrsMGtobeMrsMGtobe Posts: 612

Extremely grateful you have started to write this report - I will be glued to it! imageimage Xx

• Your flowers look gorgeous! And love the bunting too! Cant wait to see more image

• BanariBanari Posts: 1,847

Yay - this has made me so happy image cant wait to read more!

• herstoryherstory Posts: 1,268

Can't wait for the rest.......it all looks so pretty!

• :D:D Posts: 1,805

So exciting!! image Lovely to see all your plans come together and there is no end to your talents, flower arranging too! Mmmm bowl of Percy Pigs, brilliant idea and LOVE your gingerbread church, brides and grooms! I think everyone coming together makes a wedding and was very touched that you could trust your son to sort out the marquee guy image

• PoppinsPoppins Posts: 3,146

YES!!!!!!!!!!! Carry on!!!!!!! Xxx

• Future MrsCFuture MrsC Posts: 684

Yay, I'm so excited to see your report xx

Thanks for the encouragement everyone image

I got the cake that  I made onto it's cake stand and put the icing roses into place. This cake took many hours but, in the end, I was so pleased I'd made it myself.  All three cakes were fruit. It was so heavy I was a bit worried whether the stand was strong enough. Thankfully it was! We decided not to give ourselves the added stress of transporting it to the hotel and, instead, positioned it on the hall sideboard so that guests saw it as they arrived back at the house. 

Next we tied the flowers onto the two hanging frames I'd bought. I had already previously attached the little pearlised heart ornaments with ribbon. These were then hung at the front edge of the marquee.

• KH2BKH2B Posts: 1,216

Oh Songbird it is all perfect! I've been waiting (like many other brides) for your report. I am so pleased you have started, this is definitely one thread I will be glued to image

I am really glad that we had the evening reception at home, but it did pile the pressure on to have both the house and garden looking their best. So, on the day before, I found myself not only setting up all the wedding things but also trying to have everywhere tidy and clean. The dining room had been used as "wedding central"! Some of the things were being relocated to their final destination and thus making it less cluttered but, given that the food was being served in there, I worked hard to get it looking nice.

There was so much to do! Bathroom baskets to put out, blanket basket to set up, drinks table to lay up....but we were a great team!  The advantage of having older children...you can rely on extra help and still get to shout the orders out! 

• PoppinsPoppins Posts: 3,146

Everything just looks so perfect Songbird, you should be so proud of yourself! Xxx

• Debscs1984Debscs1984 Posts: 311

So happy to read this report and see all your lovely creations come together! x

The five of us worked flat out until about 6pm. Then it was time to get ready to walk round to the gastropub where we had hired a reception room and arranged to meet several of our guests that had travelled and were staying in hotels on the night before. 

Another good decision! What a great evening that really got everyone in the wedding mood. There were 16 of us altogether. We served mixed hand stretched pizzas that the place is well known for. Some people hadn't previously met each other and there were some of Mr B's work colleagues that even I hadn't met before. Two of my closest friends were there and it was lovely to be able to catch up with them and get excited. The evening flew by, then a sensible friend suggested that the Bride and Groom should really be heading home and getting some rest before the big day. At that point I remembered that I still had my nails to do! 

So, we got to bed just before midnight, later than I had planned but happy and full of anticipation for the following day. I quickly did my nail varnish (also not how I had planned it but what the heck!). At just past midnight we were able to turn to each other and say "Happy Wedding Day....now let's get some sleep!" 

• Awww I'm still in awe of your flowers and how good they were! They look amazing!! image 

• Speccy4eyesSpeccy4eyes Posts: 2,050

Still loving that gingerbread church. Its just so unique and I bet it was well and truly talked about amongst your guests

Waiting impatiently for more

• Wow songbird its all incredible! I love your flowers, we are DIYing ours so if they look even half as good I'll be very happy x

• Angie jAngie j Posts: 448

Hi Songbird. Its really lovely to read your report especially 2 days before my day.  Getting me in the mood  image  It all sounds so idyllic, you done such a fabulous job on creating the most perfect day & its so nice to hear all the family helped.  Especially love the flowers, cake & gingerbread house. Everything really. 

Hopefully I will be able to catch up on some more tomorrow. 

At 4am I was wide awake! Mind racing, it felt unreal that it was actually our day. I took some time to lie there and reflect on our journey, to savour the quiet and calm...and then I persuaded Mr B that he should go downstairs and make us a cup of tea because there was no way I was going back to sleep! image
    We chatted away and it was lovely. By 9am I was already showered and pottering around doing last minute stuff.

My daughter arrived in the bedroom with a little gift for me...a silver sixpence For my shoe. Bless her! 

The weather looked very dodgy and it was windy. The marquee was flapping around like mad. The tablecloths were blowing and the glass jars with flowers in them were in danger of being blown over. The boys had the great idea of part filling them with some gravel off the driveway. That seemed to do the trick but we decided to leave things off the table and leave a note for the caterer to put them out for us just before we all arrived back at the house. The wind meant that we had to leave the side curtains of the marquee closed- something we hoped to avoid because it lost us a couple of meters of table room and also meant that the wisteria was hidden. At least the front curtain wasn't utilised, so the view down the garden was there, as you can see on the previous photo. 

• sixpence ? that gives me an idea for Sarah.   where do you get them from I wonder 

great pics btw 

Tom, there are lots of different ones from www.notonthehighstreet.com. And I mean lots! I just taped mine to the inside of the shoe under the arch of my foot..didn't know it was there. image

• It all looks so beautiful Songbird, I really love your flowers and jars! Can't wait to hear more, what a perfect day image

• thanks x 

• TadpoleTadpole Posts: 2,133

Cannot get over how beautiful your flowers are Songbird!! Just skimming through the pics currently as I am at work but will need to get a chance to read all the lovely narrative too!

Tom - you can actually also buy the sixpences from the Royal Mint!

xx

• hautocrafthautocraft Posts: 263 New bride

TomandSarah2014 - just PMed you about Sixpences.

babybluegirl

11:26am

I remember thinking that Mr B seemed to be spending a lot of time faffing around setting up the drinks table (how long can it take?!) but at least he was out of the way which allowed me to get on with my own preparations.

The florist arrived. I was so excited to see the flowers.Those of you that read my planning thread will know that I was let down by my florist "friend" late in the planning and that this new florist was booked at significant cost and with great expectation. I rushed downstairs to greet her, eager that Mr B didn't get to see my bouquet. Fortunately, she had had the fore thought to cover the box with tissue paper! I was not disappointed...they were just what I had imagined. The bouquets had so many different types of flowers in that I'm still looking at the photographs now and trying to identify some of the more unusual ones. There was, however, one thing she had got wrong. All the blokes buttonholes were made using the same pale pink rose. I had actually asked that just the grooms be pink and the others ivory. I was sort of saying that it didn't matter, that I'd just go with it, but there was a part of me thinking no, I definitely made it clear to her and these buttonholes are costing me £17 each! Fortunately, she was absolutely insistent that they be changed and she disappeared back off to her shop (just around the corner) to get replacement flowers.

Then there was the heart shaped wreath for the front door....I loved it! I had always wanted this...to greet our guests on arrival back to the house, to identify which was our place to those who hadn't previously been and, also, as our own announcement to the neighbours and passers by that we were to be/were married. It's true to say that we do have a lot of people standing and staring at our house... the street was used when the BBC filmed Pride and Prejudice and Middlemarch. (Sadly we didn't live there then because I would have loved being in a period drama film set!). In the following week after the wedding I got lots of amusement, being on the other side of that door, and hearing quite clearly the comments that people were making about the wreath! 

Anyway, I'm banging on way too much about flowers and promise to change subject!

• Speccy4eyesSpeccy4eyes Posts: 2,050

Oh but why..... they really are beautiful and who wouldn't want to hear about them

• JCL1JCL1 Posts: 129

What a beautiful day! You must be so happy xx

Mid morning Mr B and the lads said their goodbyes and went off to the hotel, to greet any guests that were arriving and to check that the ceremony room and dining room were just how we wanted them. We had already taken the blossom tree table plan, menus and bits and pieces for the table settings the previous day. There were the orders of service and confetti bags to put out on the chairs in the ceremony room.