Greece is the Word! Our wedding 14th June 2014!!!

So if anyone has been following my planning thread "Greece is the Word - you will know that I have been planning and preparing for a very different wedding!

Inspired by our forthcoming Greek island honeymoon cruise, we decided to have a wedding full of colour and sparkle - lots of blues, purples and bling and very personal touches!

I own a wedding gift business www.facebook.com/idoweddinggiftscouk - (website coming soon!) so that aspect was very helpful in sorting out our gifts and various other accessories for the wedding and my husband owns www.asappromo.co.uk so we sorted out all the printing for our wedding from our save the dates to our invites and lots more!

Being in the wedding industry myself it so helped us find the right suppliers to have a very special and different wedding!

• KK12KK12 Posts: 927

We don't set off for our honeymoon for a few days so I just wanted to get my initial thoughts and ramblings about our day down in writing and write more when we get back from honeymoon and of course share a few pics with you!

TIPS!

Pick the right suppliers that you can entrust with your special day even down to the smallest item! Budget is important but this is a very important day for both of you - when it comes to decor, my OCD's kick in big style!

Make lists - lots of them!

Make contingency plans in case you have some dramas!

And don't panic - there are ALWAYS solutions!!!

Did these things matter and did they help me - oh yes!

My reception venue decor was a little complicated as I was using 2 different suppliers AND I was using some of my own stuff so I was mmmm what do I do! The answer came with use of a few lists and my guardian angel wedding event co-ordinator who we hired very late on but she was amazing and worth every penny to create this!

Alfie's job was to stage my bits of decor which included the birdcages on our sweetheart table that I had made up, scattering table crystals, putting the table name holders on the tables, staging our guest book table and oversee that everything went to plan and that stuff was placed where it needed to go - some changes did take place but it just looked amazing!

I had a look at the room before we went on our very delayed bus journey to the ceremony venue - more on that later and I have to say I was blown away by how beautiful the room looked!!! I remember walking in and thinking OMG WOW!!!

Contingency planning or OMG are we going to get there on time!?

We hired a vintage London routemaster bus to take ourselves and most of our guests from the reception venue to the ceremony venue - some guests also met us there and then back again!

The bus was meant to arrive at 12.45pm and set off for the ceremony venue at 1.00pm - we had set off from our hotel where we had been getting ready half an hour late which I had built into our timings on the day - which slightly cut down on our photo opportunities but it wasn't a huge deal as we got the photos of us on the long driveway to the Clubhouse - we got a phone call from one of my bridesmaids at that time saying there didn't seem to be anyone about ( people were there though!) and the bus wasn't there!

At about 1.10pm we were starting to get a bit nervy about where the bus was so my husband was making phone calls - apparently the bus had set off across Nottingham at midday but there had been 2 accidents on the way and had been held up in traffic!!!

I have to say that it was a very long half hour of thinking what the hell are we going to do - literally with 5 minutes to go till panic really would have set in - plans were being made to transport just the wedding party into Nottingham to get married as the lady who had transported us from the hotel was hanging about to see if she could help and then in the nick of time the bus turned up to a massive collective cheer and we near enough run to get onto it!!!!

Somehow we managed to get into Nottingham with 5 minutes to spare!!!! That bus might have had wings not wheels!!! - luckily our best man was at the ceremony venue already as his wife gets motion sickness on a bus so he was able to tell the registrars we were coming! Phew!!!!

This is a shot of us in front of the bus AFTER we got back from the ceremony venue as we had no time for pics beforehand - the people from the bus company were absolutely completely mortified about the events and were lovely and stayed for a while afterwards so we could take pics including our flowergirl in the cab - fabulous!

Yes I am wearing a blue dress!!!! image

I am going to love you and leave you all with a few more pics as I have a bit of work to do and then really NEED to start packing for the honeymoon! image

I will get writing again when we are back from our honeymoon!!!! image

• Jo35Jo35 Posts: 305

wow congratulations everything looks so lovely , glad you got there in the end imagex

Thank you Jo35! image 

Well I wasn't going to write anymore till we were back from our honeymoon but sleep once again evades me so here's another rambling!

THE BRIDE'S SLEEP PATTERN!

Ok - I've been married before so I should find it all easy peasy lemon squeezy er not so!

My sleep pattern went a bit stupid a month before the wedding for about a week - I would wake up at stupid o clock and think great, it's all under control I shouldn't be waking up at all hours but I was - clearly my brain didn't think so! Then it settled down again and then 2 weeks before the wedding, started up again and went ok and then a week before the wedding I was the same!

In fact, the night before the wedding, my sleep was just ridiculous! We attempted to go to bed early ish but then I woke up at 2.30am - just about the earliest I had snapped awake and was awake for a whole hour then managed to fall back to sleep, then awake at 5am, then awake at 6am and then must have just dozed as we were getting up at 7am - all I can remember thinking was that my MUA would be having a bit of a job on her hands!

So brides be aware that your sleep pattern may well be shot to pieces by the time your day comes around!

THE DAY BEFORE THE WEDDING!

We made a decision quite late on in the planning stages that we would go to our wedding night hotel on the night before the wedding too and spend 2 nights there as it just made more sense to be closer to the reception venue and of course we had loads of our own stuff to take to the wedding and OMG how much stuff did we have! Our big black Ford Galaxy was near enough full!

We were kind of planning that we would get there about 3/4pm but that wasn't to be! I had a lovely Clarins tanning treatment done on Friday afternoon and my skin felt like silk afterwards - note to Brides - always take some facial scrub with you after the tan develops as I had touched my tan somewhere and had to scrub off my partly orange palms on the Saturday morning - whoops!

I was glad I had my tan done - it was quite a natural golden shade and it was good where my skin was exposed on my back and arms and bust area as that's all you could see of me in my dress!!!

My OCD's with lists were kicking in and after buying more present gift bags and jewellery cleaner in Loughborough and getting my husband to get my engagement ring polished - it was all systems go with checking my lists for what we needed to take! it was like a military operation but nothing was forgotten = phew!

We eventually checked in at about 7pm but we decided to take most of our decor to the reception venue in the evening where my lovely friend Rachel was preparing her crystal trees for our centrepieces and swagging our cake table!

It was great to see things taking shape although very mysteriously the cake swagging disappeared the next day ( I actually didn't realise this until Rachel pointed it out on a pic!) but the lovely swagging she had done and I have a pic as evidence (and she had badgered the staff for more tablecloths so she could box in the table as the legs were showing) had gone and the cakes were just laid out on an uneven tablecloth and no swagging! I had actually paid her to do this and she had but then on the day it wasn't there - we do suspect some kind of foul play was involved!

It was very busy at the hotel but we managed to bag a table for dinner at 7.30pm and then proceeded to get our stuff up to our executive room - I had requested the biggest room in the hotel as I knew we would be a bit busy in the morning lol with our photographer, our hair/MUA, one bridesmaid and one flowergirl in the room plus us! image

My other bridesmaid and her partner Rob were driving down from Beverley and were meeting us later at the hotel so I could give her some essential items as in her headband and bridesmaids jewellery as a gift plus clutch bag and so we could have a chat and get excited!

We had a lovely meal, the food was excellent and were also given a complimentary glass of champagne in the restaurant as we told the waitress we were getting married the next day as you do lol!

Just as our desserts came, our friends turned up and we had some drinks with them and a good chat before it was time to get back to our room and try and get to sleep! Martin was so excited that he wanted to open his wedding presents from me there and then as I had made him a Groom box with a lot of gifts! Some were to be opened at our reception as they were part of my speech!

I had 1 gift from him as he never knows what to buy me as apparently I have very individual taste so he's told me that he will buy me stuff on honeymoon - seems a good deal to me! As we finished opening our gifts, we heard the sound of fireworks and they were really close by and it was a cracking display from our 4th floor window - we felt special like the celebrations for our wedding day had started early! image

• Snowy78Snowy78 Posts: 453

Everything looks amazing and I love your blue dress really different - really suits you.

How bizarre about the cake table and the swagging!? I can't believe someone messed with it, tried to make amends (badly!) and then lied about it! Then the bus drama......!

I'm so pleased it all worked out well in the end......I definitely agree re the sleep pattern. I have 6 weeks to go and it has kicked in full force! image

Can't wait to hear more and I hope you have an amazing Greek honeymoon image xx

Hi Snowy78 - awww thank you for your kind words! We have loads of pictures to look at - in a few minutes we are going to settle down with tissues I suspect and watch our photographer's slideshow! She took the most pictures she has ever taken at a wedding and she said this one was the best wedding she's ever done by far! Which is a huge compliment!

We still don't know what happened with the cake table swagging but we are trying to find out! It took the venue an age to find the lace that my friend had used for it so it's like someone definitely deliberately tried to hide it as best they could.

Yes the bus drama was something else but at least I don't think anyone will ever forget our wedding!!!

Awww bless you re your sleep pattern, hopefully it will ease itself soon - I really had better start packing today - so excited!!! image xx

So... we've been back from our honeymoon for a week and a bit now and it was fabulous! Looking at how crap the weather is here today makes me really miss our cruise ship and the Greek islands and I have somehow managed to pick up a horrible cold! So it's a good excuse to get writing more of the wedding report!

THE WEDDING DAY ARRIVES!

Well we just weren't going to follow convention at all today and we wouldn't change a thing. All we had to do in the morning was to get up and have showers and get dressed in casual clothes and make sure everything was out that we would be wearing and that everything was out for our photographer and that we ordered breakfast - both of us felt nervous but tried to eat scrambled egg etc! I was happy as I stepped on the scales and was actually a pound below my target wedding for the morning of the wedding! image

I totally loved my dress but it was a bitch to walk in as the hems kept snagging on my shoes and my shoes on the day were not very comfortable and I had worn them day in, day out before the wedding and they felt fine! Grrrr! I was aware of it but the adrenelin of the day keeps you going!

My shoes were bought on line from Unze and I loved the look of them and their Greekness! I also totally loved my bouquet which was made for me by one of my friends Nat from Love Bouquets - it just looked stunning on all of the pics and was just beautifully made.

I wore a garter which I took my stock and I also wore my own bridal brooch pin with it - these items can be purchased via www.facebook.com/idoweddinggiftscouk - I have lots of charms to make up a personal brooch!

My bracelet - I took out of my stock items so need to credit my own company again!

My headband was another story - I saw a similar headband from By Hariett and fell in love with it and asked if she could make a similar one but with more leaves and in AB crystals and the answer was yes and here it was! it very much suited the Greek theme and there were no other headbands or tiaras that matched this - it was my splurge purchase! image

So then everyone seemed to arrive in a heap - my best mate and bridesmaid with her daughter ,our flowergirl, my hair and MUA and my photographer!

I managed to get everyone with spare hands making up our pom poms, this was the one wedding job we had left to do in the morning before my husband would take them off to the venue.

It took time to open them up and fluff them out - think we made about 18 in total - lost count but it was fun to do them and took away the nerves!

So my hair and MUA Claire was doing the hair for my bridesmaid and flowergirl so she needed to do them first before me!

Both of my adult bridesmaids had their headbands and their jewellery as a gift from us - yep courtesy of my own business! As they were wearing purple, they had amethyst earrings and a pendant which both of them loved and I also got them a wrist corsage each from Love Bouquets instead of carrying any flowers - one bridesmaid had black shoes, so she received a black clutch bag and the other silver so she had a silver clutch bag!

Our flowergirl had her headband courtesy of my business and her posy which matched beautifully was done by my friend Emma from Simply Silk Creations image

Our flowergirl also had jewellery as a gift from us but as she was wearing blue, hers was a blue topaz pendant and earrings.

Belinda wearing her jewellery and with her hair done - she was going to do her make up herself back home - she looked very regal!

So then it was my turn - I was looking at the clock and I just knew we wouldn't be ready for midday but then what bride IS on time! Hubby went off to the venue and to get some pink stuff as his tummy was feeling a bit dodgy, he seemed to be gone ages - we were also watching the weather too! All the reports had given us a mixture of sun and possible showers and that's basically what we had although when we came back to our reception venue, it was absolutely gorgeous and sunny and warn so it was perfect to take the oics in the grounds that we had wanted!

Claire tackled my hair first - we had ummed and ahhed and finally I had decided on getting some clip in hair extensions and had an extra hair trial and it was definitely worth it! I loved them lol and didn't take out until a few days after until I had to as they felt soooooo glam!

my own hair was curled and then the extensions were re curled.

in essence my hair was loose but also had a waterfall braid at the back with diamante hair pins added as well as my headband.

I loved it and my hair looked great loose the next day too - I think when we have our vow renewal, I will just have it curled like it was without the waterfall braid!

My make up was next and I wanted a glam look complete with false eyelashes and a smoky eye! I found a brilliant pinky nude shade of lipstick in Clarins a few days before so I was happy with the look on the day - the make up lasted all day for sure just needed to keep blotting the shine away!

I am so tense about my eyes being fiddled with that Claire had to redo one of my fake eyelashes but it stayed on!!!!!

This pic was taken a bit later on in the day but is one of my favs of me - I think I was a bit too tense beforehand and it showed! While I was being pampered, my husband was also getting ready!

Yes my business also provides all sorts of different cufflinks - my husband had a very wide choice of what to wear but plumped for these ones for a bit of bling!

The Grooms buttonhole plus the other buttonholes and corsages were made by Simply Silk creations - just fabulous and all different! image

I had been adamant that hubby got himself a suit with a waistcoat as I thought it looked smart - he wasn't convinced but when he tried it on, he had to agree lol! I told him he could take it off and be relaxed in the evening so all was good!

I thought he looked amazing on the day - so smart image

Our transport to the reception venue had turned up and we had to keep poor Jenny waiting! Claire finished my make up quickly and then I was popping my dress on and being laced into it! She did a good job!

We had been thinking of some pics in the hotel grounds as there was a pretty fountain but we were late and decided not to bother but that we would stop on the long driveway for pics as we had intended and that's a good job as we've used one of the pics as the front of our thank you cards! image

We did stop for a few pics in the hotel lobby itself.

GETTING TO THE RECEPTION VENUE!

So we were half an hour late and we were getting phone calls from one of my bridesmaids asking where we were and where everyone else was - I couldn't answer that one but when we arrived lots of people appeared from inside the venue with drinks and generally all relaxed - however, we did have an issue as the vintage London bus was meant to be arriving at 12.45pm and departing at 1.00pm and it wasn't there!

Our transport up to the venue was this rather lovely VW Beetle - it belonged to our DJ's wifes business as she does wedding cars and he does DJ'ing and runs wedding fayres!

It definitely pays to know all these people when you're getting married!

The drive up to the reception venue has a lovely long tree lined drive and I was keen to use this for photos - we've ended up using this pic for the front of our thank you cards image

I think we were getting a bit nervous at this stage thinking where the bus was but we arrived at the reception venue and at least the bus delay meant that I could go and have a look at the reception venue decor and our cake and everything else!

This is where having a wedding planning co-ordinator for the day really paid off as Ally was a major superstar! The venue just looked amazing - even better than I thought it would look so I was really happy but where was the bus?!

The bus was so important as it was transporting the majority of our guests and us to the ceremony venue and then bringing the rest of the guests back apart from a few people like my mum and the best man and his wife as she gets bus sick and we had specially chosen music there and back on the bus that we had planned months and months ago, surely it wouldn't all be ruined now!

My hubby started to make phone calls and learnt that the bus has set off at midday but then there had been 2 accidents on the way which had delayed it, it was coming but when would it arrive? Other people started to say that maybe the bridal party should start making their way into Nottingham so that we could actually get married!

We were literally on the verge of getting into cars and doing this when we saw this sight!

The bus pulled round the corner at 1.30pm and we all cheered and then virtually hot footed to get on it! The bus people were totally mortified about the delay and now the next challenge was to get into Nottingham on time to get married!

I think I was a bit shocked by this incident for the next few hours as everything just seemed to whizz by! I got my hubby to text the best man to tell him that we were on our way so he could tell the registrars - in the end we pulled up at 1.55pm and in a total high five moment, we managed to time the music so well that The Final Countdown was playing when we pulled into the layby! I think this relaxed us a bit and made us all laugh as by heck we needed to!

We did get marr

The Wedding Ceremony!

Not quite sure why the above post cut out like that! We did get married slightly late by 10 minutes, we sort of lost track of time anyway to be honest, as there was so much kerfuffle trying to actually get to the ceremony venue! In actual fact, we could have got married at the Golf Club itself as they now have a licence to do so but then you would have to have the reception elsewhere - they do have a separate, more expensive venue on the premises next door so some people have done this - it's the only time that I thought why didn't we have everything all in one venue but my hubby really wanted the bus!

The bus itself caused a big attraction in Nottingham City Centre and indeed on our route, people were stopping to take pictures and everything!

Talking of pictures - this site is having some sort of issue and won't let me load them up!

Ahh we have lift off again! So here we are sitting in at the front of the ceremony room, nearly married!

well it doesn't look like this report is going to get finished on this thread as I have managed to get one picture to load up and that's it!