Everything I wished for........ And more

Well I started a planning thread but it was hard to write about things in case any one I knew read about them!

We got engaged on Boxing Day 2012 and booked our wedding at Great John Street hotel in Manchester.

its a boutique hotel which is an old school converted into a hotel. This hotel is so unique and like no other hotel licensed for weddings in manchester.

We specifically didn't want to get married in a room that doubles as a conference room or anything else. 

• Almost Mrs HAlmost Mrs H Posts: 110

we booked the rooftop lounge for a 4pm ceremony and decided that instead of a meal followed by a buffet, we would invite all of our guests to share our wedding breakfast which would be a BBQ.

GJS were so accommodating over this. We wanted people to feel relaxed Nd enjoy themselves without feeling overwhelmed by the formalities and constantly being made to eat.

Not sure that photo is clear but we had the food was a bit fancy but not pretentious.

I had a bit of hassle over who I was supposed to have as my bridesmaids. I chose my sister and my best friend and my niece and future niece as flower girls.

my advice to any brides to be would be to chose who YOU want but maybe don't mention it till a bit later down the line. I've read so many posts on here of girls who have grown apart with their bridesmaids between asking them and the actual wedding.

also have an answer planned for anyone who is cheeky enough to invite the self to your wedding or muscle in on any part of it. Weddings are so expensive and it may eat you up inside if you end up paying for someone or something you aren't happy with.

luckily the person who expected to be a bridesmaid was no longer part of my life as the wedding grew closer.

So I bought my big bridesmaid dresses from little mistress, there was 20% off at House of Fraser so I just bought them without my bridesmaids seeing! I loved them and they did too when they got to see them! 

In preparation for the wedding but also for me to feel better, I just slimming world and lost 3stone in 4 months. I feel a million times better and it's changed our way of life so we can apply the techniques as part of normal life.

i tried dresses on when I was heavier, it was august 2013 and it was so hot. I initially went on my own. I found some shops will tell you, you look good in anything. Some are more honest.

i went to Bridal Couture in Altrincham. Mia the shop keeper let me choose some dresses to try on which I did. She then picked a dress out which I would never have tried on because it was fitted around the waist and I feel I have quite big hips. Anyway, I loved it and although it was more expensive than I'd planned I bought it anyway!

all the planning went smoothly and I wasn't even a little bit Bridezilla. I've really enjoyed ready peoples threads on here but realise my idea of a wedding and what I wanted was very different to others.

We wanted a band at the wedding and we used a website called function central.

the band we chose were "Captain Planet". They had a fantastic repertoire and the reviews were great.

They were better than I could have ever imagined. They played all the music we love, everyone was up dancing all night and they even played music and hosted a dance off which was hilarious. The totally adapted to the atmosphere and our guests and I cannot praise thEm enough. I would totally recommend them!

For favours we made skittles vodka and put them in 30ml ink jars we got from a company called knutsford wares, we separated all the colours and just put them in a box on the side.

our cake was made by a friend who instead of asking for payments she asked for a Donation to Manchester Children's charity. The cake was amazing. She made 3 tiers in 3 different flavours- fruit cake for the grown ups, sticky toffee pudding and lemon flavour as the are Mr H's favourite desserts!

Our photographer was matt priestley

www.mattpriestley.co.uk

we went to his studio to meet with him. He made us laugh and totally put us at ease. His work on his website is fantastic so we basically asked him to take photos of what he wanted and we asked that they were smiley photos that captured the feeling of the day. Although we wanted a few group shots, we wanted more action shots.

He and his assistant were brilliant and they felt like guests at the wedding! I would highly recommend Matt.

Great John Street is directly across the road from where Coronation Street was filmed. Mr H contacted them and asked if we could have some photos taken on "the street"!

we went across after the ceremony and we caused quite. Stir! Everyone was taking our photos and it was so much fun!

Great John street is such a fantastic venue and as you will see from their photos that the venue doesn't really need dressing. It's full of alcoves and shelves and beautiful furniture so we just made a few quirky and personal things to place around the room.

we made candle lit photo frames and signs oh and a card box.

• Beth90Beth90 Posts: 284

Ahhh love reading so far, tell us more!

the colours we wanted was navy and pink, think this is quite a common colour theme at the moment. my step son designed the invitations and rsvp's following my direction. I was so happy with them. We got almost all the rsvp's back and they were so funny. We've taken all the words off the rsvp's and put them into a word cloud which we will include on our thank you cards.

I've lost all my grandparents and was very close to them so wanted to include the memory of them in our day. I ordered some charms for my bouquet and the florists put them On. They were so easy to do and I loved having them on my flowers.

• Beth90Beth90 Posts: 284

Lol love the RSVP idea!!