Vintage Rose and Pearls

Hello lovely ladies!

I have been married for almost six weeks now, and after a very busy few weeks I am now firmly back in the real world and ready to start my report.

Our wedding day was utterly perfect, the best day of my entire life. It really is so wonderful, and there are no words to describe how happy we are. It is totally worth the planning, the time, the money and the occasional stresses and I would marry him again tomorrow.

I hope that this report will tell the story of our day in the best possible way. I really enjoyed writing our thread and I hope you enjoy my report. 

But first, a picture. One of my favourites and the one we put on our thank you cards. If you ever need a reason to justify a cathedral-length veil, then here it is image

• Lou85Lou85 Posts: 1,824 New bride

The Morning

I really thought that I was going to lie awake all night. But I fell asleep no problem and woke up to a text from H2B at 5.30am telling me to "look outside". I jumped up and opened the curtains. Sunshine! Blue skies! Heat! Perfect. My MOH then alerted me to the fact that she was awake by singing, "Going to the chapel and we're, gonna get ma-a-a-ried"! I got back into bed squealing, and we lay there chatting til about 6.30 when I heard my mum get up to feed the dogs and make the tea.

At 7am, my other older bridesmaid came in and I gave them both their presents. I had bought them a pair of pearl earrings and bracelet (to wear on the day) and a lovely photo frame so that they could put a picture in. They loved them. They loved their cards too - it was all quite emotional. Group hug and then downstairs for bacon sandwiches and a cuddle with mummy!

I felt so calm. And very excited. I couldn't believe it was here. And I was delighted at the weather. The hair and makeup girls arrived at about 7.45 and got to work on my two bridesmaids. My mum was pottering about, my brother was in the kitchen chatting and my step dad was out putting a bow on his car image All very chilled. We were all wearing our personalised dressing gowns...

Then my step dad came in with a large, beautifully wrapped parcel. I thought it was a wedding present so I smiled and said that Steven and I would open it together. But then I noticed that the card was address to me; and it was Steven's writing. 

Now, we weren't doing gifts. We wanted to save for a house, and I truly felt like I had everything I needed. I have gorgeous jewellery, some of which I was wearing on the day. I had given Steven a card the day before to open that morning. But it seems that he had not stood by the agreement...

The card was beautifully written. I got quite teary reading it. My MOH said she would read it aloud for me...it made me cry. And my Mum. It was the only part of the day when I cried, and I cried even more when I saw the gift. He had gotten me a large, framed photograph of the view over the Thames at the top of Richmond Hill, at sunset. It is stunning. And he said it would always remind me of where he proposed image Aw. It is this thoughtful, generous nature that made me love him even more image If that's possible.

I then went upstairs with mum to give her her gift - dove grey pearl earrings from Dower and Hall. She cried again at her card; even though we fight occasionally and we fell out the week before the wedding over the guest list of all things, I love her very much and wanted her to know that.

Gift giving, and crying over, it was time to get beautiful image 

I didn't drink anything on the morning of my wedding. I wanted a clear head! I got given one glass of Buck's Fizz, but my MUA knocked it over soon after the above picture was taken so we decided it was a sign image I stuck to water, good as it was very hot!

At around 10.30 my Dad, little brother, my other brother and his girlfriend and my two younger bridesmaids arrived. It all got pretty busy but luckily I like lots of people around me. I did think at one point that the kitchen was getting really busy and loud but I loved being there, watching everyone drink fizz and enjoying themselves image

Soon, the flowers arrived! I absolutely LOVED them! The colours were perfect, I thought the bouquets and button holes were totally stunning! And I love these picture taken in my mums old sun dial.

Then it was time to get dressed image

Cue a mild panic from me...

For the 6 months prior to the wedding I had been on the 5:2 diet. I had lost 1.5 stone and gone down from a 10/12 to an 8. My dress was a 10 and had been taken in a few inches each side. On the final fitting 10 days before the wedding it fitted perfectly. However, despite NOT eating particularly healthily the week before my wedding, I somehow lost 3 pounds which doesn't sound much but my dress was a little big. And when it's strapless, it felt like quite a lot and I worried that it would fall down. It was fine, but it meant that the dress needed lacing up as tight as it would go, and so there wasn't much of a gap in the lacing.

But, in the end it looked great, but it was a bit stressful. And it took me much longer to get in my dress than I wanted originally! But that was the only stress of the whole day, and only me, my Mum and the photographer knew image

Then it was time to accessorise image

I was wearing jewellery which I already had - the necklace and bracelet had been gifts from Steven and the earrings a gift from my bros. I loved the fact that I was wearing jewellery with a history. 

And my choos were lovely and comfy all day image

• hf1989hf1989 Posts: 416

Loving this so far - you looked beautiful! Your photographer has done a great job too.

Then it was time for my big reveal image I love this picture. I love my bridesmaid's faces:

I was so delighted by my dress and the way I felt! I felt like a princess and a film star. It's such an odd feeling to know that this is it! I felt amazing image

So, then it was time for some shots. My bridesmaids and I:

My Mum and step dad had spent ages on the garden in the run up, to make sure it was looking all nice. Isn't it stunning?

Then some with Mummy and Daddy:

I loved my mums outfit. I think everything toned beautifully. She isn't wearing her hat in these for some reason but it's a corker! Xx

Then, before we knew it, the cars were here! 

We sent my mum and the bridal party off in the first car and that gave Dad and I a minute. I still felt very calm, just so happy and excited! He gave me a hug and asked if I was ok. Um YES! Get me to that church image

Pimms Reception

Meanwhile, Steven and his parents had been hosting a pre ceremony reception for our guests. Unfortunately we don't have professional pics, just snaps. Obviously I wasn't there, but everyone loved it. It was really nice for everyone to gather and mingle. As it was across the road from the church, it was so convenient, and let's face it - people were going to be there anywayimage This was a bit more structured, lasted no more than an hour and gave Stevens lovely parents a special role. His Mum made the runners herself image

And then Steven had some pics taken with his parents, Best Man and ushers.

• laurapjlaurapj Posts: 726

Yay! Been waiting for your report. It sounds SO wonderful so far and you looked absolutely stunning! That first pic does make me wish I had a veil image

Cant wait to hear more! Xx

• VicNVicN Posts: 1,352

Beautiful photos. What an attractive bunch you all are! Love the pic of your BMs waiting to see you in your dress!

Glad I decided on the cathedral length veil! image x

• SongbirdsingsSongbirdsings Posts: 1,290

Hurray! Pleased to see this report image . Everything is SO beautiful...your dress, the flowers, hair...BM's look great...and the mums..    You must be so happy with these photos, they are lovely. 

• VictoriaoVictoriao Posts: 1,536

Don't stop! Loving that your back with a report. Everything looks marvellous. image

Thank you ladies! So kind of you all to read and I'm glad you're enjoying it! More tomorrow image xx 

The Ceremony

Soon it was mine and Dads time to go. We had hired a gorgeous cream, vintage jag to travel in as an ode to my late Grandpa who loved them. I think my Dad was more excited about the car than anything and had a good chinwag with the driver for the 10 minute drive.

We pulled up the road towards the church at about 1.50. Which was early...even though the bridesmaids had left just before me, I wanted to wait until JUST before 2pm to arrive so we pulled in. Good job as, just as we pulled in, a car beeped us as it whizzed past us! Family friends who are always late, true to form. Haha.

People filing into the church. Look at the time! I think people may have been loving the Pimms too much image 

Then it was time to arrive image

We had hired a piper to pipe the guests to the church, and then to pipe my arrival. I LOVED him. It was so moving and really powerful hearing it. It also signalled to Steven that I had arrived :

I had quite an audience watching me get out the car; I think people were very interested in a Scottish wedding and specifically, the piper. I felt like a film star image

I love how my Dads got his arm around me image

My MOH said this was when she felt the most emotional - when she saw me walking towards her with the piper.

Meeting us at the church door were my four bridesmaids, my Paige boy and my three little flower girls (With their mums). The flower girls were only 2 and we weren't sure how they would feel about walking down the aisle so we had the mums there just in case. But the music started, they held hands, and off they went, followed by my little bro, who's 5, as Paige Boy image

Then my four bridemaids, then Dad and I!

I was so happy walking down the aisle. I have a ridiculous grin on my face. I don't remember noticing my lovely stocks as pew ends, or my pedestals; it was only on my way back up the aisle that I took it all in. I don't even remember my beautiful floral arch around the church door that I wanted so badly! All I could see was Steven's face and his big smile and I knew that everything would be alright forever. As I got to the end of the aisle I looked at him. He smiled and shook his head and said he couldn't believe how beautiful I looked and how lucky he was. He said he wanted to kiss me there and then image

The ceremony was perfect. I really loved it. Everyone sang the hymns with real gusto, and all responded "we will" very loudly which pleased our Vicar! I got quite teary during the vows but held it together.

Our two readings were, "I Carry Your Heart" by E.E.Cummings and Corinthians. Both of our readers learned the piece did a fab job. I love the E.E.Cummings poem, as Steven always says that I carry his heart with me...and I intend to keep it very safe and warm forever.

As part of our service, we opted to light the candle together. The Church had got us a personalised one with our names and wedding date on. Plus an extract from Corinthians, our reading. It was a lovely touch and we have kept it. It is now on our fireplace image

Before we knew it, it was time to sign the register:

And that was us, MARRIED!!!

Then we all filed back down the aisle and out into the sunshine for some photos.

All that time stuffing those confetti bags was worth it for this shot image