Our Summer wedding by the Sea- My wedding report

So it's been 2 weeks since our Big day and what a day it was! image I've been trying to find time to sit down and start writing but life as a Mrs has been pretty hectic. However I'm so worried that I'll forget all the incredible moments and feelings that I couldn't put it off any longer so here goes...

How we met

I'm going to start right at the beginning as I never covered this in my planning thread.

Rewind 4 years and I was 23, happy and fairly content with my lot. I was dating a guy I knew wasn't really for me but not really in any rush to find mr right either. 

It was coming up to christmas and I had a weekend away planned to visit my best friend. Whilst away she was entertaining me with stories of all these men she'd dated through an internet dating site called Plenty of fish. I couldn't really get my head around it as she was beautiful, out-going and always inundated with offers from men. I was at the time (mistakenly!) of the opinion that only old, shy (maybe even desperate?!? image please forgive me) people online dated. Anyway my friend spent her entire weekend trying to persuade me to sign up - I stubbornly refused!

• I went home and thought no more of it.

The next weekend I received an email from said friend with a link to the profile she had created for me....sneaky moo! lol I have to admit curiosity got the better of me and I logged on to have a look. There were a few messages from some reasonably cute guys but I didn't really feel like replying to any of them. 

Christmas came and went (I broke up with the guy I had been dating) and then the snow came. Cue 2 days stuck in my flat unable to get to work and trying to keep out of the way of my flat mate lol I was seriously bored and with nothing better to do thought I'd log on to Plenty of Fish to see if Brad Pitt had sent me a message image He hadn't! - but a very handsome guy had image I finally plucked up the courage to message him back, it turned out he was snowed in too so we chatted then exchanged numbers and a couple of days later he asked me out on a date. I was a little scared and having made the customary escape plans with my flat mate I headed out to meet my mystery man.

• We were meeting in a local shopping and restaurant centre and had planned to meet in front of M&S. As I approached I was really nervous and worried he wouldn't show...but I spotted him from the entrance and he was HOT! image We had a great first date and chatted easily all night, my only concern was that it turned out he was a Royal Marine. Now I should probably explain because I'm sure it sounds a bit unfair to rule this guy out just because he was in the forces.... my home town is a navy town, it has lots of navy bases and is right next to the home of the Navy- Portsmouth! In our town sailors have a bad reputation and you always knew never to date one lol But here I was finding myself liking not only a sailor but a marine. I was convinced he was going to leave me high and dry after a few dates but he was lovely and I figured it was worth the risk. A few months later we were still having a great time together and I finally realised that this one was special!  A year later we moved in together and a year after that he proposed in our living room the day he returned from a two week work trip to the US. That was happiest day of my life until 2 weeks ago image

So onto the wedding!

• Snowy78Snowy78 Posts: 453

Yey you are doing a report image can't wait to hear the details of how your day went. Can't believe it was 2 weeks ago! Seems like only yesterday.

I love your story of how you met each other, I guess it proves why you can't judge a book by it's cover image xx

• Yep Snowy! I big lesson learnt for me image

So I'll start the tale of our wedding day the day before.

Me and MrB had both finished work of the wednesday and spent the previous day cleaning and last minute organising. The friday all was pretty calm. We had an appointment at 2pm to take all of our things to the museum; but not before a bite to eat in a lovely seaside cafe on the way. The meeting was very good for my nerves and the first clue as to how amazing our wedding team would be! I talked them through EVERYTHING- and finally relaxed, I knew the room would look just how I'd imagined. My mum arrived with the cake and it looked awesome. The wedding coordinator commented that it was the biggest cake they'd ever had there Lol image With the meeting finished that was our wedding prep over- Hoorah! 

- A side note here, for all you lovely brides who like me have been planning for years and had people comment about being TOO organised please ignore them! We had a lovely calm day before our wedding because we had done everything- no last minute panics! And it was the perfect build up to our wedding day....I would totally recommend being uber organised image

So prep over it was time to meet up with our bridal party and get the party started! WOOOOOOOOO image

We had hired a house for the weekend so some of our friends could stay with us and we had decided to have a bit of a shin dig when everyone arrived.

Our house is the one on the right

Us image

• It was a great evening and lovely for me to see everyone. Me and my chief bridesmaid left at about 10.30 (having drunk a little more than we planned-Oooops!) and walked back to my mums house which was conveniently just around the corner. 

After a quick cup of hot chocolate it was bed time zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

The Wedding Day

I didn't sleep particularly well that night. It was pretty hot and drinks from the night before weren't helping. Eventually gave up on sleep at about 6am and went down stairs to make myself a cup of tea. My bridesmaid was still sound asleep and I didn't want to disturb her as she is not famous for being a good morning person image But got downstairs to find my mum up so we sat together and had a lovely natter for an hour or so before deciding it was time to get washed. Our hairdresser was due to arrive at 8 so about 7.45 I woke up my best friend and she managed to get herself together in time to be first into the hairdressers chair. There were 4 of us having our hair done and this was honestly the only stressful part of the morning for me. My hairdresser is a good friend and he's being doing my hair now for years and he is a complete perfectionist. This is obviously a good thing, but 5 attempts into my hair I was getting a little ratty! I just wanted to be done! Our florist arrived half way through my hair so a made a run for the door (much to my hairdressers annoyance hehe) The flowers were so pretty. exactly how I'd imagined them if not better!

The bridesmaids bouquets

This is my bouquet- when we get our official pictures through I'll add some better ones.

• :D:D Posts: 1,805

Its lovely to read how everything went and thanks for the tips image Our hairdresser wants to start at 8.30 am (getting married at 1 pm) do they really need that long for four people? When she said I thought we would all be sitting around for ages!! Beautiful flowers image

• TadpoleTadpole Posts: 2,133

Beautiful flowers! Looking forward to reading more xx

• Little JulesLittle Jules Posts: 1,538

The flowers look great! Looking forward to reading more image 

you look so relaxed in your morning picture - I don't think I will look like that image

Your flowers are beautiful, they really did a good job, you must have been so relieved.

Can't wait to hear more..... x 

• Lou85Lou85 Posts: 1,808 New bride

The flowers are beautiful! Looking forward to reading the rest of your report.

I agree about being organised; I was very organised on the run up to our wedding but it meant that we could really relax and enjoy the night before. My bridesmaids have said that they couldn't believe how relaxed I was, especially when they compare me to the brides they have seen since. And my hair and makeup ladies arrived at 7.45 too. Much better to be sitting down ready with a cold drink, as opposed to rushing and stressing! X

• Thanks everyone I was over the moon with our flowers I can't rave enough bout our florist-she was simply amazing! I know I'm being a bit slow in writing will try and get some more written this weekend. 

image- The short answer is yes! Although I guess it depends what you're all having done. One of my bridesmaids had to have rollers in her hair so that took quite some time lol Atleast if you're done early it gives you more time for bubbly image

Bride- My bridesmaid and mum said the same but I knew I would be fairly calm...whats to stress about...I was marrying my man and thats all that mattered image Glad to hear you enjoyed a relaxing morning too, it definitely starts the day right!

• So hair done it was time to head downstairs to get my makeup done. We used a lovely lady called Rosie-Lee and again she was brilliant. So friendly and chatty and completely relaxed everyone, including my Dad who struggles with busy spaces lol 

Me and Rosie checking out my makeup Haha I did get her to make a few adjustments once she'd finished just to soften my eyes out a little and slightly lighten my eyebrows. I'm a bit conscious of my eyebrows which are naturally a lot darker than my hair, but once filled in look like black caterpillars wriggling around image Having said that having seen our photos I don't notice them so much.

• At this point I was pretty much done just needed to get the dress on but had a little time to spare so headed out into the garden to have another cup of tea lol It was about 11.30 but my Dad wasn't even showered so after a little pestering he headed up to get ready and me and the girls started to make our way to our room to get changed. It was very strange having a photographer sat on the windowsill while I was stood in just my knickers but I tried to put her out of my mind. My mum had a bit of a mare doing up my dress, she hadn't really practised at all (I would completely recommend you do if you can find time) and she was getting a bit stressed. I didn't help that I'd lost weight since we collected the dress so the perfect V the bridal shop had managed just wouldn't keep my boobs in lol We did get there eventually image

Then I got to help my beautiful bridesmaids into their dresses image

• Our wedding  ceremony was due to start at 2pm and by 12.45 we were all ready to go. At our rehearsal the vicar had asked us to leave our house at 1.30 to ensure we weren't late. This seemed crazily early to me but figured we shouldn't annoy the vicar before we even start our ceremony. So our car arrived at 1.15, I nearly forgot to get my bridesmaids to put my veil on. The photographer had left to get to the church by then so the house was finally just filled with all the people I love the most (except my soon to be husband of course!) The excitement and nerves then kicked in. My bridesmaid left with my mum which left just me and my Dad. I will treasure those few minutes forever. I'm so close to my dad and he was the perfect person to keep my calm in those final moments...With the car due back any moment I suddenly felt like I was getting all sweaty. Forgetting that I now had a big dress and veil on I went to charge up the stairs to get my deodorant....Dad duly leapt after me and the funniest ascent of the stairs began, me tripping on my dress, Dad whilst trying to rescue me tripping on my train! It still makes me giggle just writing about it. But I did eventually get to my deodorant and the sweaty armpits were banished.

• After the stress we had with the car in the lead up to the wedding I was so relieved when I saw it pull up. It looked beautiful and our driver was so friendly. The car was doing 2 trips so the bridesmaid left first and the wait for the car to come back seemed to go on forever. I had been watching the weather all morning as thundery showers were forecast. We had had a few downpours in the morning. I was praying the weather would hold out until we got to the church. As our car returned the sky was clear, I walked out the house and my mums neighbours were waving out their windows image After stumbling a few times on my skirt I made it into the car and we were on our way image The drive to the church only takes a few minutes and as we were early the driver suggested we go for a bit of a drive around. As you may have guessed from the title we live by the sea and it's one of my favourite places in the world so I asked if we could take a little detour along the prom. As we pulled up outside the church I could still see some of our guests wandering down the road from the local pub lol I was hoping they wouldn't see me before the ceremony started. I sat in the car for a few minutes then the it was time to get married!!!!imageimage

Me and Dad arriving

The "Eeeekkkk I'm getting married!" moment

St Marys image

• Whilst we were getting ready in relative calm at my mums, the boys had had a slightly more stressful morning at the house. MrB and his best man were in charge of putting out the pew ends that Mum and I had made. So after an early morning run they headed off to the church at 9.30am. MrB said that this was the most stressful part for him and walking into the church made everything seem so real. After the church they went to pick up my eldest nephew who was one of our ushers as he wanted to get ready with "The Boys" lol He's only 9 but was an absolute angel on the day and I'm so glad we asked him to be such a big part of the day! More of MrB's friends arrived at the house over the course of the morning and they were all great helping out and keeping him as calm as possible. At midday they all walked down to the pub near the church. He'd told me he was on a 2pint curfew image The second photographer had left mums at about 11 and headed to the house and it's been lovely seeing the photos so I can see what went on their end.

My gorgeous Nephew

• Little JulesLittle Jules Posts: 1,538

Aw lovely photos, looking forward to reading about the rest of your day image

• Lou85Lou85 Posts: 1,808 New bride

Gorgeous photos. You look so happy!x

• :D:D Posts: 1,805

Everything looks perfect. I love how you have included photographs you have in your house and 'you are my sunshine' image Your nephew looks adorable bless him! Bet he was really excited too! This is making me a little tearful as I only have 4 days left... eek!! I cried twice during my hen do this weekend so now I am worried I am going to be a blubbering mess walking down the aisle- didn't realise I was such an emotional person!! Really looking forward to reading more about your big day image

Ahh your day looks amazing - you really did have gorgeous weather!

I am looking forward to reading more and reliving our days!! You have some lovely pictures to treasure for many years image xx

You will be fine : D honestly I thought I would be the same, I was so emotional on the lead up but on the day was just overcome with excitement!! xx

• Been struggling to find the motivation to continue with our story since getting back from our honeymoon. But going to try and write some more now...I desperately don't want to forget anything and it already seems like so long ago.

• So we arrived at the church. I could hear all the guests through the curtain at the back of the church where we were waiting. This was the point I started to feel a little nervous, the thought of walking up the aisle was starting to make me anxious. But I clung onto my dads hand and my bridesmaid were doing there best to keep me relaxed. Then the music started and it was just the most beautiful sound image I'd been worried before the wedding that my choice of music would sound too sombre when played on the organ but it didn't at all. The organist was amazing and I couldn't help but well up. Our entrance music was "Kissing you" from the romeo and Juliet soundtrack.

The anxious wait

As we started to walk my dad was trying to slow me down...I felt like I was walking slowly but I guess I must have been racing lol I could see Mr B standing at the front and he glanced round at me and all my nerves disappeared (cheesy but true!). I was strange having everyone one stare but I tried to focus on Mr B and after what felt like an eternity I made it to him.

Mr B looking all emotional

• Our vicar was great fun and kept the service energetic and welcoming. After all the nerves, once I was at Mr B's side I couldn't stop grinning. We both managed to say our vows without  tripping over our words and remembered most of the instructions the vicar had given us at the rehearsal. We did find ourselves all knotted up when Mr B tried to lead me to the chairs to listen to the sermon but no one seemed to notice