Our Amazing Santorini Wedding

We have just returned from Santorini where we truly had the best, most perfect day ever.

It was a dream come true.

The day started off like any other. My husband and I had decided not to sleep in different rooms and I loved that we were able to be excited together when we woke up. We exchanged gifts and went down to breakfast with the rest of our guests (11). After breakfast he went off to his mum and dad's room leaving me with my bridesmaids. As we were not getting married until 6pm we had a few hours to relax and enjoy the magnificent view from our room

I felt remarkably calm and under no stress whatsoever. I knew everything was organised and out of my hands. I also think the surroundings helped to relax me, I have no doubt that had we gotten married in the Uk it would have been a different story!

So the hair/mua arrived at 2.30. She was very very chatty and made me feel at ease. I was concerned she would struggle to cover my hormonal skin but she was not phased in the slightest. My hair and make up were much better than I could have ever hoped for, I was thrilled to bits. (I didn't have time for a trial!)

• Mrs pickleMrs pickle Posts: 319

By the time I was ready, time was really pressing on. There ensued a mad panic to get me into my dress, my 2 bridesmaids into theirs and as the photographer had now arrived, pose to have preparation photos done too! It was all getting very real very suddenly!!!

before we knew it we were being ushered out of our hotel to walk down the cobbled path to the venue. Everyone we passed wished us well, it was so lovely. 

Even though it was approaching 6pm it was absolutely boiling, I could feel beads of sweat running down my back but I honestly didn't care. This was it!

Approaching the wedding terrace my dad came to meet me

I heard the music I had chosen to walk into playing (Turning Page by Sleeping at Last) and it was just how I has imagined. I felt myself welling up and by the time I had come to stand next to h2b I slyly had to wipe away a few tears. 

The registrar started to speak and oh my gosh was his accent hilarious. Think of something sounding like Borat! In between trying to concentrate on what he was saying, trying to look serious, and seeing our guests chuckling at him I could feel the hysteria rising. I think I pretty much giggled the whole way through it image

Anyway before we knew it we were married, it was all a blur to be honest. We had champagne and photos on the terrace before moving along to our reception 

• Lou85Lou85 Posts: 1,803 New bride

Looks glorious! Congratulations x

• DrunnerDrunner Posts: 23

It looks fabulous, and you look amazing! Congratulations image

Thank you very much image

So we had our photos taken in various breathtaking locations around the hotel while everyone went up to the reception. I absolutely cannot wait to see those pictures. 

We then went upto our reception terrace and it was absolutely stunning to see the famous Santorini sunset on our own private terrace. I had instructed out planner on all the different decorations we had taken with us the day before. He had passed those on to the staff to the last letter, it was better than perfect. 

We had paid for 4 hours free bar and it was lovely that people could drink what they wanted without worrying over the cost. Well worth the extra 28 euros each. 

I had organised all the playlists for the different times of the day as the hotel staff controlled the iPod and it worked brilliantly. It really was magical sitting with all our close friends and family watching the sunset. 

After dinner we had 4 Greek dancers who came in for an hour and did an amazing job of getting everyone up dancing and laughing. Everyone got up and joined in, it was such a giggle

• it looks like a lovely day image my little sister is getting married in santorini next August ... What venue dod you use? Any tips for her or guests on aaccommodation/flights? X

Hi Steph, we got married at Dana Villas. It was amazing and the staff were very professional. We used a wedding planner called michael (http://www.weddings-in-santorini.com) he was brilliant, always answered my emails and was very helpful and patient when I changed my mind about things. He was also present for the ceremony and his assistant was there all evening to make sure everything was how we wanted it. She even gave 3 of our guests a lift back to their hotel at the end of the night!

We didn't stay at Dana Villas as it was very expensive (as everything is in August) but we stayed at a lovely little family run hotel just up the road called Villa Ilias, it was much more reasonably priced and was ideal as a base. After our guests had gone my husband and I went to another resort called Kamari for 3 nights and it was brilliant, there is a long beach and lots and lots of restaurants and bars. Only 10 mins away in a taxi so that would be a very viable option for accommodation. A couple of our guests booked package holidays to Kamari through Thomas Cook but the rest of us booked flights with Easyjet and then hotels separately. 

For my hair and make up, michael recommended a lady called Helen Savva and I can back him up, she was brilliant!

Finally the one tip I can give that sticks in my mind is to not get married in August until later in the day. We got married at 6 and even then the sun was relentless, it was also quite difficult for photos as the sun was SO bright it was blinding!

• Hi mrs pickles the photos look amazing, I'm getting married next August at dana villas then onto theros wave bar, can you remember when easyjet released the flights as I can't use the package deal as it goes Tuesday to Tuesday and we get married on a Monday so don't want to rush back for a flight home!  Any info would be appreciated.

THANKS

• Hi Vicki

we got married on a Monday too! I'm sure it was around November when the flights were released. We flew on Saturday, got married on Monday and by Wednesday everyone had gone home leaving us with a few days to ourselves

• KK12KK12 Posts: 927

Awww lovely pics! Love Santorini, we went there for our honeymoon, well for one day on our cruise at the end of June and it was massively hot then too! WE did consider getting married abroad at one stage and I did look at Dana Villas! Glad you had a lovely day xx

• KtnRichKtnRich Posts: 227

Simply stunning!!!xx