Planning my August DIY wedding......The Report

Ok so I've been married a little over a week and I'm already having withdrawal symtoms from the planning image It has been such a whirlwind and it really was over with in the blink of an eye.

My advice would be don't sweat the little things and don't panic over the weather. We had gale force winds but it didn't matter, everyone coped and enjoyed themselves. A few bits were out of place for the wedding breakfast but no one other than me knew and it still looked amazing. 

If you are doing your own DIY bits trust me, your guests will notice. I had so many people complement on all the little details I had added and they all love the personalised aspects.

I don't have my wedding TOGs photos back but I do have a lot from the wedding party and from the venue TOG and they are all amazing so I thought I would start my report with these photos and see what the other TOG ones are like when I get them back.

• KH2BKH2B Posts: 1,216

The Wedding Morning 

So thanks to my little one we were up at 7am, after not getting to sleep until after 12 I felt like a zombie. But we had the car to pack up and then head over to mums to start getting ready. Obviously as soon as we arrived we were greeted by a camera and some bubbles 

I will admit I didn't drink a single glass I just stuck to tea! 

So after unpacking the vast amount of presents and BM dresses the MUA turned up and got to work on us all.

We had my FMIL round and her daughter (one of the BMs) as they were all having hair and make up done. It was an amazing morning and I'm so glad that we had those few hours together to relax and just enjoy each other's company.

If you do get a chance to have a moment with friends or by yourself....take it. The day goes so fast and you don't have a minute to just reflect so take the time to sit back and watch.

As you will soon see my BM is totally obsessed with selfies!

• Debscs1984Debscs1984 Posts: 311

Yay so excited to read this thread! x

• Speccy4eyesSpeccy4eyes Posts: 2,050

Yayyyyy

Hello Mrs

Ive been waiting for this report

Huge congrats

Ahh thanks Speccy! Glad at least one person is reading image

So as the morning went on FMIL and BM went back to theirs to see H2B as he had just been to pick up his wedding car!

Cue a mad panic when my other BM realised that we had forgotten to give FMIL H2Bs suit!!

By this time mum started panicking as it was 12 and we needed to get ready. Our flowers had just arrived and they looked beautiful!

these were the BMs flowers

An up close shot of mine 

And the cake topper

Getting ready 

The last hour really did pass in a blur.

Give yourself at least an hour to get ready, specially if you are having some photos done and your BMs need to get ready. 

In no time my surprise wedding car arrived 

We had a bit of a panic when some people weren't ready and were holding everyone up for setting off, I swear my dad was close to throwing my auntie out of the house she was just being a pain.

Make sure everyone knows the timings well before hand so that you aren't running behind schedule before you start. People not in the wedding party don't seem to realise the urgency.

BM selfie

Before the ceremony 

When the bridesmaids and mum had gone off in the car

Me and dad had a few minutes of peace and quiet and then a little drive round in the car. It was lovely to have a bit of time alone with him as I really did start to feel nervous, I was fine up until the moment the car pulled up for us.

We had a little problem with the registrars wanting to do the ceremony indoors due to the winds but I refused as I always wanted an outdoor wedding (bridezilla moment) So everyone had to quickly set up the ceremony outdoors as it had all been moved indoors!

Walking down the aisle 

I was so nervous at this point, mainly thinking I would lose my veil! I can't even remember the entrance music!

At that moment I could see Dan and my eyes were just focused on him, I dont remember seeing anyone else other than him.

The Ceremony 

The registrar we had was so lovely, it really did make a difference to the ceremony. I think I chose the longest vows and it did seem to take a while to get into the actual legal part but it was worth it. We had 3 readings which is the maximum we could have and it made it a lot more personal to us.

We had our little boy as ring bearer and had him give the rings to the registrar and he did a fantastic job! Everyone loved him, he definitely stole the show.

And then we became husband and wife

Signing the register 

I have to admit I didn't realise how long it would take, with all the official signing and then all of the pictures it did take a lot of time.

Factor photo time into the signing of the register, especially if all your guests want a picture. 

During the signing a lot of guests mingled around and we managed to get some really nice photos of all the guests.

Exit 

After everyone had managed to get all their photos we made our exit as bride and groom. It was a little awkward as I had no idea where I was going so we headed to where a table was set up for welcome drinks. It worked out quite well as we didn't want to do a meet and greet to go into the meal but as we stopped next to the welcome drinks everyone formed a line to give hugs and thanks before getting their drinks.

Try and get a run down of everywhere you need to be and where to go after certain moments otherwise you will stand around looking confused. 

As you can see it was a little windy

• NuggyNuggy Posts: 527

loving your report! Everything looks amazing, you look stunning! X

• VictoriaoVictoriao Posts: 1,537

Welcome back!! Loving this, keep it coming I enjoyed your planning and I'm looking forward to see how it all came together!

Welldone for standing ur ground.... Why should a little wind ruin a dream wedding

Aw thanks ladies! Glad you are all enjoying it. It seems so long ago image

Photos 

As soon as we had greeted everyone we had around an hour for photographs.

A little tip, make sure someone in the bridal party knows your list of shots as people walk off so it's difficult to get everyone in the right places at the right times. 

We managed to get a lot of the photos done before the breakfast.

I really could go on and on with them but I ding want to bore you all. The more pictures you can get the better. You will get fed up of smiling and kissing but its all worth it when you see the shots.

Wedding Breakfast 

After the photos we were ushered by our toastmaster into the bar ready to make our entrance as Mr & Mrs 

If you have a lot of guests it's better to be introduced into the room rather than doing the traditional meet and greet. If you only have a few guests, anything up to about 30 then I would greet all your guests as they are seated as it really is lovely to spend that minute with them to have a quick cuddle and chat.

After we had made our entrance it was time for the speeches. If I am completely honest I was dreading this part as I had no clue what my dad would say or my brother (best man) but I didn't need to worry as they were brilliant and had everyone laughing with them.

The biggest surprise of all was when hubby stood up and did a speech. I don't think anyone expected this as he is quite a shy person and isn't into public speaking. His speech was so moving I couldn't believe how well he did. He even rushed out on the wedding morning to buy me a present.

It is definitely one of the best moments of the day he really did a fantastic job, and in this day and age he obviously wrote his speech on the iPad so I can look back at it whenever I want image 

The photos are fabulous

• SongbirdsingsSongbirdsings Posts: 1,290

Ahh, it's so lovely to see your photos. They are all great....I love the one of Dan when he is waiting for you to arrive...and the one when he is doing his speech captures your face so meaningfully. image

• MrsE2be2014MrsE2be2014 Posts: 1,459

What a lovely report! You look absolutely stunning and your dress fits you perfectly! Thanks for the tips I will be taking them all on board as I am quite worried about the morning and timings as we have to be out the door at midday so I need to start getting into my dress at 11am, 4 hours to get 7 peoples hair and make up done! PANIC!

Glad you stood your ground with the outside wedding! xx

• KK12KK12 Posts: 927

Aww congrats - the venue looks lovely and the gazebo area to get married is was stunning!

I second getting your timings right - I was 30 mins late from getting my hair and make up done - even with a trial, it takes longer than you think, I would allow an hour and a half. We lost some photo time with the delay as it was a bit rushed to get out to where we were catching our vintage bus to get to the ceremony - if we had known that the bus was going to be late then we would have got those extra shots and not been that rushed - just one of those things!

Can't complain too much as our TOG took nearly 1000 of the day! image

• Lovely report, and everything looks so beautiful! Good for you putting your foot down on the ceremony, outside is lovely! 

• Oh congratulations sweetheart.  Everything looks perfect!!!