A girl, a boy and a michelin star......

Hi.

I have been a long time lurker on this forum and have had some great advice from you lovely ladies on the few things I have posted. I didn't get chance to do a planning thread but now the dust has settled and normal life has resumed I thought I would have a go at a wedding report! image

I will start with a tiny bit of background before I get onto the big day.

The Beginning

At 25 I lost my business and ended a 8 year relationship in the same week. I was a bit of mess. I moved back in with my parents and found myself a new job. My friends spent a couple of months putting me back together and I began to slowly feel like myself again.

In July 2011 I went on a girly holiday to Spain. We stayed in a villa and had the best time chilling and drinking far too much wine! During the holiday I received a text from a friend inviting me on her birthday night out in Wakefield. I was unsure about whether to go as it was the week after the holiday and I couldn't really afford it. The girls persuaded me and assured me Wakefield was a brilliant night out.

So on the 30th July I found myself on a train after work to lovely Wakefield! I was tanned and was feeling good so was really looking forward to it. My friend picked me up from the station and we headed back to her house to have some food and get ready.

As well as all of my friends girl friends she had also invited her housemate Oliver out and his friend Jack.

We headed into town after a few drinks and ended up in the VIP area of a club. It was here that I began talking to Oliver. We got on so well that we decided to stay out when everybody else went home.

I left the next day without exchanging numbers as he hadn't asked for mine and I wasn't brave enough to ask for his.

When I got home I sent him a Facebook message and we sent a few messages before a date was mentioned. We swapped numbers and a date was arranged for Saturday evening. I was so excited and nervous as I hadn't been on a date since I was 17!

We arranged for him to come and pick me up from my house in Hull and we would go for dinner. The date got off to a bad start when we realised not booking somewhere on a Saturday night. We spent half an hour driving round trying to find somewhere that wasn't fully booked! We ended up in a Malaysian restaurant. Which turned out to be perfect as it was pretty quiet and very informal so we could relax and didn't look like we were on an awkward first date!

After that we spent most weekends together. After about 10 months the distance had taken its toll and as we both knew it was turning serious we started discussing moving in together. I agreed to move to Wakefield as it is cheaper to live and it made sense that only one of us should commute.

So on our one year anniversary we found ourselves signing for a lovely little house that we still in now. We got our fat gnger cat Charlie shortly after we moved in and life was pretty good.

• KAtobeKAtobe Posts: 60

More more!

• NewyNewy Posts: 114

The Proposal

I spent the first week of September 2013 at Center Parcs with a group of friends. I returned home on the Friday evening, The next day was Oliver's birthday so I had planned a weekend in London. We had such a fun weekend and returned home on the Monday night.

That Thursday was my birthday and as I had had such an action packed week the week before I really wasn't bothered about celebrating it. I text Oliver on the Tuesday to tell him to cancel whatever restaurant he had booked and that I would be happy to have a Thai takeaway. He called me and said that as I had given him an amazing weekend for his birthday the least he could do was take me out for dinner.

So it is Thursday and it is my birthday. Oliver has taken the day off so he can come with me. I work in York and he often does this as he is more than happy to wander round and stop for many coffees.

I finish work at 5pm and we decide to go for cocktails before heading to the restaurant. As soon as I finish my drink Oliver wants to leave as it is rush hour and he doesn't know how bad traffic will be getting to the restaurant. When we get to the car he won't let me see what postcode he is putting into the sat nav. I start to think that he has planned a surprise meal with my family and friends in Hull. As we start to drive it soon becomes clear that I am wrong.

We eventually pull up at The Yorke Arms in Pateley Bridge. It is a Michelin starred restaurant that was featured on The Trip with Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan.

We are both huge foodies so it isn't a surprise that we are here. I just thought he was trying to repay me for the previous weekend. Although inside I was raging that he going to spend all this money when I said I would be happy with a bloody Thai takeaway!

We go inside and once we have placed our orders we are taken through to the restaurant. The food is incredible and we have a lovely evening. As Oliver is driving he decides to have a coffee after the meal so I can finish the bottle of wine. He says he would like to have his coffee in the lounge and not at the table. He then practically drags me into the lounge!

We sit on one of the sofas and Oliver drops to one knee pretty much instantly and I burst into tears as I did not see it coming! I just though he really wanted that coffee! He asks me to marry him and I manage to get a yes out through the tears.

The waitress then appears with the coffee, she notices what is going on and returns with champagne and a plate of sweet treats to say congratulations image

All the other diners then come through and they are all couples celebrating their wedding anniversaries so they shared their stories with us. It was a brilliant way to end the evening.

I rang my parents on the way back and they were both already in on it as Oliver had been to ask their permission when I was at Center Parcs! We then called his Mum and she was delighted. We arrived home late and had to go to work the next day.....booooooo!

Our Plans

I will just briefly go in to our plans for the day so I can dive straight in to the report. As it is very text heavy at the minute and I know you all love a photo or 68!

I am not the sort of girl who has always imagined what her wedding day would be like or ever imagined that she would even get married. So when Oliver proposed I was a bit stuck about what sort of day we should have.

We both agreed that we didn't want a long engagement so decided on summer 2014. With not much time to save and me hating the idea of a big wedding, we decided on a small day with just close friends and immediate family followed by a big party in the evening.

We decided to get married in East Yorkshire where I am from as neither of us feel like Wakefield is as home and as Oliver went to Uni in Hull he also has a connection to it.

We decided on a ceremony at Beverley register office as we aren't religious

It is in an old house and as register offices go it is a good one.

The date was set for 2nd August 2014 at 12pm!

We now had to find somewhere to hold our wedding breakfast.

We had celebrated our first anniversary at a brilliant michelin starred pub in South Dalton. Which is a beautiful village just outside of Beverley. The food is amazing and the service is excellent but very laid back and not at all stuffy. I enquired to see if they did private dining and they did!

We could have the conservatory and gardens from 12pm - 5.30pm for 28 people image

Where to hold our evening reception was a little trickier!

We looked at golf clubs, village halls etc, but nothing felt right.

I was beginning to think we wouldn't find anywhere but then I came across field day hire site. They advertise normally unused spaces for people to hire for weddings and parties. I spoke to James the owner and although they didn't have anything that would be suitable for our date and location he said he was the farm manager for Sledmere Estate and they had a barn that had just been used for a wedding and he thought it would be perfect for us. He warned me that it would take a lot of work and imagination but I was up for that! So off the boy and went to view it and we fell in love!

Our strange little day was taking shape. My parents were a little concerned that we had lost the plot but I told them to trust us,

The week of the wedding

We both took the full week off before the wedding

Monday

Monday was spent going through the spare room to make sure we hadn't forgotten anything. As our wedding was DIY we had ALOT of stuff! We had to wait in for the Makro sweetie order to be delivered and fluff the last remaining pom poms.

I managed to sneak off for a coffee with my best friend for an hour which was lovely.

Tuesday

We decided to make this our non wedding day. It was our 3 year anniversary the next day so we decided to celebrate it early. We went into Leeds for lunch and drinks. It was was such a nice day and it was great to have a bit of time just for us before the wedding craziness hit! I would really recommend doing this in the run up.

Wednesday

Our hire of the barn began. So as we had so much stuff we hired a van. We woke early to get to the van hire place when it opened. We then loaded up the van and set off to the barn! We spent the day at the barn putting up our photo back drop, covering up various ugly bits with crepe paper streamers and hanging pom poms!

TIP: If you are having pom poms make sure you fluff them before and then tidy them up just before you hang them. We had over 50 and it would have taken me forever to fluff them on the day.

We then headed to The Pipe and Glass to drop off our table bits and pieces and to choose our wines image

A few sneak peaks of our hard work at the barn

Thursday

We set off bright and early to collect my dress from Harrogate. I had decided to my venue flowers myself and chosen to get them from a flower farm in Pockilington. I arranged to meet my parents at the flower farm so they could take my dress home with them and I could then fill my car with flowers! We then headed to the barn so I could arrange the flowers and Oliver could continue finishing the last little bits before all the things we had hired arrived on the Friday

TIP: If you are debating doing your own flowers - go for ti! I used Flowers From The Farm. It lists local growers and you then get in contact with them directly. I spent £100 and got 3 huge buckets of beautiful flowers.

Friday

I left the house bright and early to get to the barn for 9am to wait for various things being delivered and Oliver stayed at home to clean the house as his best man and girlfriend were staying with him that night.

I started placing all my random vases and jugs of flowers where I wanted them and clearing away rubbish.

At 10am my vintage bits and bobs arrived along with the huge light up letters we had hired. The table linen, chairs and bar arrived at the same time! So it was a crazy half an hour and I was still without help! I started styling the bar and chill out area and then moved on to our fun corner. As it was all taking shape and I had moved onto the table centre pieces Oliver arrived quickly followed by my parents.

I had taken my mum to see the barn on a cold November afternoon and she hated it and couldn't see what we were going to do with it. So after seeing her reaction I had refused to let my stepdad see it until now. They absolutely loved it and said it looked magical! I was one very happy bride to be. They helped us with the finishing touches then took me to the pub s

so I could step away and finally relax. As we were sat in the pub Oliver's parents walkied in as they were staying there for the wedding. Our parents hadn't met before so it was great that we got to introduce them before the wedding. We then headed back to the barn where there had been a little drama. It had started to rain and the roof had started to leak! My crepe paper was a little soggy! The farm guys were quick to sort it and I could leave relaxed. I said goodbye to Oliver knowing that the next time I saw him I would be walking down the aisle! Eeeek.

I got back to my parents and had a shower, had a catch up with our photographer and had my nails done. We then went out for a meal. I had two glasses of wine. My stepdad wanted to carry on but my mum put her foot down!

Oliver had given me a gift and told me to open it before I went bed not when I woke up. So I took myself off to bed and opened his gifts. He had got me a lovely card, booked us a bread making class at Jamie Oliver's and a pillow case image

The Big Day!

I woke up at 5.45am and jumped straight in the shower. I had slept ok. Had a couple of restless hours but not so bad that I had to worry about eye bags! Me and my mum were booked in at my hairdressers at 7.45am. They had kindly agreed to open early for us. So we both had a cup of tea and showered.

We left the house at 7.15am and made a quick stop off at Tesco's to buy pastries! I was in my onesie thankfully we were the only people in there! We quickly ate our pastries and headed to the salon. The salon is on the marina and there was a big music festival going there that day, I had spoken to the organisers and had been assured that we would be let straight through and we were - phew!

I had decided to go for a rolled chignon and had a couple of trials and it went absolutely perfectly on the day image. I used the salon where I normally get my hair done and me and my mum paid £15 each. Some of the prices that people have paid on hear have shocked me! I was very happy with my bargain wedding hair.

We then headed home where my make up lady was all set up and waiting for me

I decided from the start that I would have a professional do my make up. I don't wear much on a day to day basis and knew I would be too nervous to do it myself on the day. I was more than happy to leave it in Rebecca's capable hands!

After all the rushing in the morning it now felt lie we had too much time. I was itching to do something so we cracked open the bubbly!

As we were having a tiny day I chose not to have bridesmaids. I wanted all my friends to just enjoy the day. So it was just me and my parents on the morning which is probably how I stayed so calm!

Dress time!

It was now 10.15am and time to put my dress on. My dress shop only did fittings on Tuesday's which meant due to work my mum hadn't been able to come to any. This also meant she had no idea how long the dress would take to do up! We went upstairs and began to put my dress on

Next came my amazing Rachel Simpson shoes

And then I was ready! During this time my stepdad was shouting up to my mum that his suit jacket was creased and would she come and iron it! Erm no Mr this is my moment! image

I then made my way downstairs

My photographer then took me off to have some photographs taken by myself which gave my mum time to iron my stepdad's suit so he was happy!

I loved my bouquet but had asked for it to be wild and free and it was tight when it came

Suit drama now over my parents came outside for a cheeky photograph before my mum had to leave.

My mum left and so did Carly our photographer so she could get to take some photographs of Oliver before the ceremony. So all me and my stepdad could do was sit and wait until it was our turn to leave!

Here I come!

So at 11.15am we left the house. It is about a 20 minute drive to Beverley but as we were traveling in an old car and traffic could be bad the driver thought that would be the best time to leave. So after posing for a few photos for my mum's neighbours and friends who had come to watch we were off.

We had hired a beautiful 1969 Daimler V8 to travel in. It was amazing and our driver was a lovely man.

We got to Beverley in record time and were at the register office at 11.35am. I didn't want to risk being seen as our guests would still be outside and I wasn't due for my interview until 11.50am so we decided to do a quick lap round the block - big mistake!

It seemed everybody had decided to get in the car and drive through Beverley! At 11.50am I was still sat in the car, I could see the register office but we still had to get through the lights and round the corner.

When you book a register office wedding you are warned that if you are late the wedding will not go ahead as they run to a very tight schedule. I had this going through my head and I started to lose it! My stepdad was trying to keep me calm and decided to ring my Mum to let her know what was going on.

She said it was fine as they were running late and Oliver was still having his interview! If I had known this could happen I would have been fine. We pulled up outside and I took a few minutes to stop crying and compose myself. I stepped out of the car and saw lots of my friends mums and even my ex boyfriend's mum which was lovely!

Feeling much calmer here

I quickly dashed inside so I could sort my make up out before my interview!

Show time!

I had my interview and then stood outside the room waiting for my entrance music to start. One of the registrars came out to tell me somebody hadn't turned up and somebody else had gone to find her as she was lost.

So I was stood waiting and Oliver's heavily pregnant best friend bursts through the door looking very flustered then mortified that she has seen me, I told it was fine and she went into the ceremony room., Oliver's other friend who had gone to find her walks in and sees me so any nerves I did have are now long gone and I am finding it all very funny!

My entrance music starts and I am ready to see my man. We chose She & Him - I Can Hear Music as my entrance music and it was perfect.

I didn't feel any nerves as I entered the room just excitement. As I was almost late I pretty much dragged my stepdad down the aisle!

Here is Oliver's face as I am about to walk in image

And here is our first look image

I loved the ceremony. I was worried that it might feel quiet cold and business like but it didn't feel like that at all.

We said our vows without fluffing our lines and then my best friend read " A Lovely Love Story".

We then exchanged rings and we were done!

Time for the big kiss!

We then signed the register to Tom Odell - Grow Old With Me and Regina Spektor - Us.
     We hadn't managed to find the radio edit of the Tom Odell song so we just put the album version on the cd and hoped we wouldn't get rumbled! The registrar noticed and turned the volume down when she did- ooops!

I found signing the register and posing with the fake one very strange! but it has got to be done!

We were then ready to make our exit as husband and wife! We chose to exit to The Lumineers - Ho Hey!

Confetti time

Our register office has a really nice garden that you can use after the ceremony for photographs.

We chose to do our confetti shot here. I had spent far too long thinking about my confetti bags but everybody commented on them so it was worth it! I also splashed out on Shropshire Petals confetti and I hope when you see the photo you will agree with me that it was worth it.

We then spent a few minutes being congratulated by our guests. As it was due to rain our photographer thought it would be a good idea to get our group shot done whilst the sun was still out. So we rounded everybody up for a quick photo.

It was then time for us to leave and for me to show my new husband our wheels

Photo time

We then set off to Pipe and Glass. As we were driving down the country lane down to the village we saw our photographer parked at the side of the road waving at us to stop. She had decide it was the perfect spot for some impromptu couples shots! We handed our champagne glasses to the driver and hopped out.

It then started to rain so Carly dashed to her car to get us an umbrella!

A tractor then started coming down the road so we had to quickly leg it back to the car!

We then arrived at Pipe and Glass at about 1pm. As we had to work around their normal restaurant service times so we had to sit down to eat at 1.30pm so we had a quick drink with our guests as Carly took photos of our table.

• This is all so lovely, can't wait to read more about your day.  The pictures are beautiful and I love your dress and hairpiece!

We're getting married on Thursday so this is making me even more excited image

Wedding breakfast

As we only had 28 guests we were able to give guests a choice of 5 options per course

Starters

Tartare of salmon with hot smoked salmon scotch egg, crowdie, pickled samphire

and fennel pollen

Chicken Liver pate with sweet onion marmalade, walnut toast

‘Proper’ Prawn Cocktail

Leek and potato Soup with chive cream

Three tomato, avocado and Wolds mozzarella salad with lovage pesto and spiced gazpacho sorbet

Main Course

Pipe & Glass Fish Pie with flat parsley mash, brown shrimp and fennel salad

Roast rump of lamb with a summer vegetable and pearl barley ‘Hotchpotch’, mutton belly fritter, crushed heritage potatoes, nettles and mint

Breast of free range chicken with braised peas and broad beans, champ potato and

crispy smoked bacon

James Whites’ pork sausages, bubble and squeak, ale and onion gravy

Three onion, goats cheese and oregano tart with braised baby leeks, honey roasted beets and soubise cream

Dessert

Cinder toffee ice cream with chocolate honeycomb bites

Sticky toffee pudding with stout ice cream and walnut brittle

Strawberry cheesecake with strawberry, lime and basil sorbet, cracked black pepper and

sesame tuile

A selection of British cheeses with tomato chutney and ‘Greens’ plum bread

Warm pistachio and raspberry bakewell tart with raspberry ripple ice cream

This was followed by coffee and truffles.

I put a lot of thought into our table settings. As we booked the restaurant for what it was rather than what it could be I felt it didn't need much doing to it.

I made jam for the ladies and chutney for the men and used these as place names. Each also had a seat number on a slate heart and individual menus wrapped with twine and lavender.

I was so happy with how the table looked!

The food was incredible. I don't have any photographs at our photographer went on her break as we were eating. Everybody was very happy with their food.

We asked the guy looking after us if we could have a break between the main course and dessert as everybody was getting very full. He said it wasn't a problem. We chose to sneak off and have some more couple shots taken during the gap.

Photo Time Part 2

As it had stopped raining we decided to go for a wander around the village. It was really nice to get spend some time just the two of us ( and our tog!). It was one of my favourite parts of the day and our guests were more than happy to be left

I am sure we got some very strange looks from the people who lived in the village but it was worth it.

My ex boyfriends mum lives in the village so we popped to see her and have some photos taken in her garden. We are still close and she loved it.

• Wow, what a lovely report, and gorgeous photos!

• Really enjoyed your report so far, thanks so much for sharing. You looked vey beautiful and Audrey Hepburnesque. looking forward to reading the rest image 

• hf1989hf1989 Posts: 416

Your day looks like it was so special! I love the couple shots - your photographer has done a brilliant job!

Thank you all for reading and for your lovely comments. I am loving reliving it. I will try and finish my report now!

We arrived back at the pub and we then dessert was served. It was well worth the wait! Next up were the speeches. i think my Stepdad had spent the entire time we were out having our couples shots done in the toilet practicing as he was so nervous!

Speech Time

First up was my Stepdad and he delivered a wonderful heartfelt speech and even managed to crack a few jokes. I was so proud of him.

I love this next one of my Mum. Our photographer has captured the moment perfectly! image

Next up was my husband. He was worried about his speech as he wanted me to be happy with it - he really didn't need to worry he was amazing.

And finally the Best Man who absolutely smashed it! He was so relaxed and delivered his speech so well.

Speeches over we quickly dashed outside to have a photo taken with my Nana as she had to leave early. It would have been to much for her to stay all day.

Our Big Fat Wedding Quiz

As we were having a tiny wedding and had plenty of time to fill we tried to think of things to fill up the time. As we both love a pub quiz and were holding our reception in a pub we decided to do our own pub quiz!

We didn't ask questions about us - we are far too boring! We did a proper pub quiz. We started off with a picture round. It was celebrity weddings with the famous persons face blocked out or both if they were both famous and our guests had to name them.

We then moved on to the questions part of the quiz. Oliver was the quiz master and I worked my way round the room helping everybody!

The winning team won a £20 gift voucher for Jamie's Italian.

Quiz over we just had time for a few photos in the garden before taxis began to arrive.

A few cheeky photos with our guests

Me and my girls

Us with Oliver's parents and sister

Oliver's friends

Taxis then started to arrive. We were getting a lift with the Best Man and his partner. Oliver went to go and put our overnight bag in our room. My photographer chose to use this time to take a a few photos of me. As it was raining I put my umbrella up and in a random moment she captured one of my favourite photos of the day image

Our guests then headed to Sledmere to our barn. This was about a 25 minute drive away. As our evening reception wasn't due to start until 7.30pm and it was now 6pm we told our guests to go to the pub across the road from the barn. They loved this idea. The guests that were staying overnight used this time to check into their hotels.

We went across to check everything was all ready with the barn and our photographer came too.

The Barn

When we arrived the band were doing a sound check and the people doing our bar were in the middle of setting up image

We got to see the cake for the first time

Here are a few more shots of the inside of the barn to show you what we did with the space

The light up letters were a huge hit. They were the first thing people noticed and talked about!

Directing people to the barn

As the barn was in a little village in the middle of nowhere, without a name and not signposted we had to make sure people didn't get lost. The village has hardly any mobile phone signal so if somebody got lost there would be no way of us knowing.

This is the drive up to the barn. It is just on the left.

We tied balloons up outside so people could see them in the distance

Once guests had parked up they had to walk through here

We made up a couple of planters to direct them

As you can see from this photo there is a huge hay bale wall at the front of the barn. We chose to have this put up as the barn is open fronted and we wanted to keep it warm in the evening and to also keep the inside as a surprise for our guests!

Entertaining our guests

We wanted our wedding to be as fun and as laid back as possible. So looked at things we could do to keep our guests entertained.

We bought a foosball table which went down an absolute storm.

We made a photo backdrop, put a suitcase full of fancy dress bits next to it and left people to it. We also bought a polaroid camera so people could leave us a photo

We bought this signing poster from World of Moose and we got some brilliant messages and lots of dodgy colouring in!

We also hired some deck chairs so people could go and chill outside. Here is my husband and his best man doing just that!

Party Time

Guests started to arrive it meant we could finally relax and let our hair down. We were really lucky that we we were able to offer our guests driinks at cost price. This meant everybody got into the party spirit! We were very grateful to Oliver's friend for offering to run the bar for us.

First Dance

I didn't want to do a first dance but Oliver did so I agreed. I have always found them a bit awkward. We chose to dance to Amy Winehouse's cover of Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow.

I ended up loving our first dance and Oliver hated it. Haha! He invited people up to dance pretty much straight away!

The Band

We decided to hire a band and then create our own playlist for the gap inbetween their sets. This worked really well and we asked guests for a request with their rsvp's. We found it really hard choosing a band. We played loads of demo's and finally found a band we really liked and could afford called Sugar. They were based in Surrey but were happy to travel to East Yorkshire.

They played a mix of old and new stuff and kept the dance floor full all night.

Feeding the crowd

We had 120 guests in the evening and after treating our day guests to michelin starred food we knew a few sausage rolls and soggy sandwiches wasn't going to cut it!

We decided on a fish and chip van! People absolutely loved it and it was so cheap. It was the perfect thing to soak up the £1 drinks. It cost us £5 a head and the portions were huge.

Yum!