2 Musicians and May wedding in (Sunny!) Norfolk - our DIY wedding REPORT!!

I can't believe its been a week since the big "I do" image 

We've had the most amazing wedding day, and mini moon in Paris following the wedding! Been itching to write our report up, and I've got loads of pics off our guests to share - so here goes....!

The day before the wedding... was spent transferring everything up to Norwich to the various venues. Hubby and I (hehe, still funny writing that) had been super organised the weekend beforehand and had organised everything into boxes to go to the different places. I'd also done a major list for myself so we didn't forget anything image

Mum and stepdad and brother and sister in law arrived at 10:30, we quickly loaded the cars and headed on. Everything went very smoothly indeed and we were done and having drinks by 3pm with other members of our family who had been arriving during the day.

That night, what originally was supposed to be a quiet meal turned into 26 friends and family joining us at Pizza Express - lots of champers was consumed, and it was a really lovely evening

I'd intended on getting an early night, and hubby managed just that, turning in at 10:30pm - I however was still up and eating ben and jerry's with my bridesmaids at 1:30am! haha

• SaxylydzSaxylydz Posts: 328

The big day....

I'd be lying if I said I woke fresh as a daisy at 07:00, and may have had to have my emergency hangover kit that hubby had thoughtfully packed in my overnight bag! Still, I was first downstairs for breakfast with Sam one of my bridesmaids - the others (other 3 bridesmaids and mum) soon joined us and I managed to eat my weight in Premier Inn breakfast! 4 plates full to be exact!

At 08:30, us girls went upstairs and the boys came down - a carefully orchestrated plan to avoid me and hubby bumping into each other. 

Make up lady, Paula Cowell, arrived at 09:00 sharp, and set to work on Mum's face. Hairdresser followed at 09:30 and by then my stepmom had arrived to get her hair curled, so she took the first sitting. 

I'd made us all dressing gowns  - well, I say made, I bought white waffle dressing gowns from Primark for about £6 each and then bought off eBay diamante stick ons with Bridesmaid and Mother of the bride etc on

I'd also done personalised glasses which you can see in this pic - I'd got champagne glasses from Poundland, pack of 2 for £1, ordered glitter from eBay and applied using Mod Podge Dishwasher safe

I packed them in glittery boxes from Card Factory and written their names on with a sharpie pen

The morning passed in a blur of champagne and beautifying. It was a lovely relaxed morning, my wedding playlist on Spotify went down well, and it was just the most chilled out morning I could have hoped for.

At 11:00 our photographer arrived, shortly followed by the flowers that my stepsister had very kindly made for us. The bouquets were made up of purple freesias, lilac asters and white roses and looked gorgeous

Our photographer Andy Austin was absolutely wonderful. He was so much fun to be around and was really great at leading the way! 

At 11:30 our hair and makeup was finished, and it was time for Bridesmaids to get their dresses on, followed by me getting into mine. 

At 12:00 the photographer summoned up my dad and arranged himself in the room so he caught my dad's face the first time he saw me in my dress. 

It was then time to go downstairs and wait for our cars to arrive. The whole morning felt so laid back - I was so happy about this. By then, I was really looking forward to getting to the registry office and getting on with the day!

• Little JulesLittle Jules Posts: 1,538

Looking forward to reading your report. I can't believe how quickly the last week has gone by! 

/\ Before the ceremony

At 13:00 on the dot (I was so happy not to be late!) my Dad and I walked down the aisle to my late Grandad's favourite song, Glenn Miller's Moonlight Serenade (My dad didn't know that we were walking down to that and admitted that was the closest he got to blubbing) 

I must admit, at this point, I don't remember an awful lot - I remember being told not to walk too fast, but failed that one, apparently I zoomed down! Everyone keeps telling me that all they heard was me giggling! I remember getting to the bottom and feeling so happy to see my hubby! He'd got a tear in his eye and kept telling me how amazing I looked- which I was relieved at as he HATED my make up trial!!

I think my mum looked gorgeous - she was wearing a dress from fifty plus I think

/\ My mum and my lovely bridesmaids

The ceremony itself passed in a bit of a blur - I remember looking at our guests and seeing everyone smiling and feeling so happy seeing everyone. 

My brother in law ( one of the Best Men) read out the Maybe reading - and it got an enormous laugh and round of applause when it says about not going for looks! 

Maybe...We are supposed to meet the wrong people before meeting the right one so that, when we finally meet the right person, we will know how to be grateful for that gift

Maybe...it is true that we don't know what we have got until we lose it, but it is also true that we don't know what we have been missing until it arrives

Maybe...the happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the most of everything that comes along their way

Maybe...the best kind of love is the kind you can sit on a sofa together and never say a word, and then walk away feeling like it was the best conversation you've ever had

Maybe...you shouldn't go for looks; they can deceive. Don't go for wealth; even that fades away. Go for someone who makes you smile, because it takes only a smile to make a dark day seem bright.

Maybe...you should hope for enough happiness to make you sweet, enough trials to make you strong, enough sorrow to keep you human, and enough hope to make you happy

Maybe... Love is not about finding the perfect person, it's about learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.'

Before I knew it we were signing the register a husband and wife!

Much to our guests amusement, K and I kicked our way back down the aisle to New York, New York- and we were happy to hear they all followed suit!

I was so happy with the bridesmaids dresses. I got them (riskily) on okdress.com (the short ones) and eBay (the long one) and they all came from China. We had a very positive experience doing this, although I would recommend if you are going to do this, to give yourselves LOADS of time incase of any problems, and also pay on credit card to protect you. We saved a ton of money this way, spending only £135 on all 4 including postage.

After the pics were taken we all walked in a big group 10 mins down the road and right through the centre of Norwich to The Wine Cellar restaurant - where we were having our wedding breakfast. 

Thankfully the weather was amazing, and many people said how much they enjoyed the short walk!

meant to put these pics up before the walk pic!

• Aimee Jones2Aimee Jones2 Posts: 417

We had Maybe as one of our readings and it also had some giggles lol what a beautiful day x x 

Good to hear its not just our guests then! 

Thanks, yes it was perfect. 

After the short walk to the wedding breakfast venue our guests were left for 15 minutes or so with the Pimms, whilst our photographer took us off for some shots around Norwich city centre! We both felt a bit daft, but the pics are a nice keepsake!

We arrived back to the Wine Cellar to see our guests, who all seemed to having a lovely time - the sun was shining and they were all drinking Pimms in the small courtyard. 

Soon it was time for us all to be seated in the function room in their Cellar for food. All our guests sat down and the 2 Best Men announced Mr and Mrs O'Gorman to which we entered to rounds of applause and whooping!

Nichola and her team at http://www.winecellarnorwich.co.uk had been incredible from start to finish - the room looked gorgeous and the food was absolutely wonderful. Everyone is still complimenting us on how tasty it all was. I was so happy with how my DIY decs looked, we had gone for a sheet music theme as we are both musicians. 

After a delicious meal the speeches took place. They were all really well received (the speeches at weddings are my least favourite part of the day in general) so although I enjoyed them, I was pleased when they were over!! 

My hubby told an embarrassing joke and got the following reaction from his friend!!

Best Men speech /\   and \/

After the speeches it was time to leave The Wine Cellar and head onto the coach that we had booked to take us to the Norfolk Broads.

30 minutes later and with not a cloud in the sky, we arrived at the paddle steamer boat that we had hired for our party on the Broads.

We had some more pics taken on the boat whilst our guests grabbed a quick beer at the pub next door with a beautiful beer garden over looking the water. Our fabulous bridesmaids and best men nipped onto the boat to set up the decorations - some of which had been carried from the wine cellar on the bus, and others which we'd driven up the day before. Our cake man, Chef Dan from Attleborough was there setting up the cupcakes and the DJ was also setting up. 

We went for Chocolate and Baileys flavoured cupcakes, and they were delicious! 

the flowers were wilting in the heat! image

Soon it was time for Pimms to be served - and we got a picture of all our guests in front of the boat

Keith and I welcomed everyone personally onto the boat - we were happy we did this as it meant we could say hello to everyone!

Once everyone was aboard, the boat set sail for a 4 hour cruise along the beautiful Norfolk Broads. We stopped for fish and chips to be bought onto the boat at a nearby pub- they were served at 7:45 pm and went down a treat as it was starting to get chilly. Fish and Chips for 79 guests cost us £460 - we were pretty happy with this. The boat hire cost us £650 for the evening and the DJ cost us £170 - so our evening reception came in at just over £1200. We were pleased with this as most of of guests hadn't been on the Broads before. It was so peaceful and gentle (well, until the DJ started!!!) and the views were stunning. The weather played a huge part in it though! 

After we cut the cake - the cheesy disco came on! The dance floor was packed - I bought the props baskets up onto the dance floor and everyone went nuts! For those that didn't want to dance, we had glowsticks downstairs that were supposed to be for a sendoff, but actually people seemed to be having fun with them- they could also sit and chat, and watch the world go by.

We decided against a traditional first dance right at the last minute as everyone was in such a party mood, we didn't want to bring the mood down - plus the thought of dancing to Bewitched in front of everyone on our own was making my toes curl! So, I mentioned to hubby I wouldn't mind if he didn't want to do a first dance, and he said why don't we do 'Build Me Up Buttercup' - my all time favourite disco tune (don't judge me!!) but insist everyone joins us. So thats what we did and it absolutely went down a storm!!

Our photographer said to us since it was the most fun wedding he's photographed, and he can't stop laughing at our dancing pics! I suppose cos we are used to playing at other peoples weddings we wanted ours to be a bit different... 

Other guest pics of the night include:

/\ My mum!!!!

• Wow, it all looks AMAZING! Congratulations!  image How lucky were we with the weather too?! Xx

We really had such a great day - everything went better than we could have hoped for. A week or so beforehand we were regretting our complicated plans and wishing that we'd gone for more of a traditional sort of day, but we've had so many amazing comments about the day- best of all, all our pics show everyone having a nice time, and when we think back to the day itself, all we can think of is how lovely it was. We can look back with a huge sense of satisfaction image 

Our total budget came in at just under £5500. This includes all food, accommodation, my dress, suit for Hubby, shirts and ties for the men, bridesmaid dresses, photographer,  transport etc. We are thrilled with that image 

Thankfully now we're married, nothing much feels different - we've kind of slipped back into normal life again, pleased to not have the blues (or maybe they will come later on?)

We had a lovely few days in Paris following our wedding, and then we went to see Madness in Lincoln on Friday. Our main honeymoon though is in August, when we travel to America for 3.5 weeks. Can't wait for that- we've done our ESTA applications today and had them granted. 

Hope you've enjoyed reading my report and sorry about the heavy number of pics - its impossible to narrow it down to a few! I've enjoyed being a part of this community on here, and would like to thank those of you that have taken the time to offer advice and support. I will probably stick around for a while if thats ok - I enjoy reading all about your wedding ideas and seeing your reports too!

Until then 

Mrs O'Gorman image 

• susan28susan28 Posts: 268

Thanks for such a lovely wedding report, so enjoyed reading  it,  what a fantastic day you had, wish I were a guest !! Congratulations xx