Our Scottish Castle March 2016 Wedding - The Report!

Hello again to my fellow new brides, soon to be brides and the lovely ladies I spent the past year and a half chatting to, venting to and swapping experiences withit has been so nice to have you all around to chat to and I hope that I can now be of help to other planners!

As some of you will know I was pretty down in the dumps just after our wedding - it was such a big build up and with all the DIY I did the wedding planning had completely taken over my life. For this reason I didn't spend much time on the forum because it was making me sad! However, we've just got our professional photos back and I'm feeling much more optimistic now focusing on the future, hopefully starting a family soon and very soon off on our honeymoon to Cyprus which we are very excited about! Now beware, I am a photo lover and I'm not yet over the excitement of sharing - there are a lot of photos! Haha.

So - here we go, as promised, my (slightly belated!) report..........

• Memza89xMemza89x Posts: 1,534 New bride

The day before the wedding my maid of honour and I were busy bees! We started the day by collecting the cake from Marks and Spencer's just after 9am and had a few things to collect from the shops on the high street before heading up to the Dean Park to set up the candy buffet and guestbook table. My wedding co-ordinator wasn't working that day but a girl called Kirsty was there who was going to be there at the end of the wedding night so at least it was a familiar face. We were determined to get as much done as possible before getting our nails done but it wasn't too stressy - I was pretty relaxed! I'm usually a coffee drinker (tea makes me eat excessive cake and biscuits) but Zoe drinks a lot of tea so we went through a few cups that day and I think that became my sort of comfort after the wedding (sounds silly I know) as I felt down afterwards I would get a cup of tea and it made me feel a bit better!

We went to the shop just round from my house to have our nails done at 12pm. I wanted something quite pale with a bit of jazziness but didn't want a basic French manicure, so in the end decided on these...

The whole time I was there the girls kept saying to me "I can't believe how relaxed you are considering you're getting married tomorrow" and I honestly felt so chilled out! I was excited but I don't think it had properly sunken in yet. Zoe was going to be a while having her nails done and I still hadn't packed my bag for taking to the hotel so I went home to do that, which also meant saying goodbye to my Fiancé Derek as I wouldn't be returning to the house after that.

And that's when it hit me

From the moment I got in my car to go back to get Zoe I was all over the place. Nervous, excited, stressed, completely boggled brain! How had all the planning and time and decision making and DIY and stress and wedding fairs and lists and Pinterest boards and forum posts and dress fittings and supplier meetings come to this final few days I just felt so overwhelmed. 

We had to nip back up to the Dean Park to finish of a few bits and bobs (which didn't help my stress because I then found yet another member of staff who I hadn't met before so I was worried that things wouldn't be passed on etc. however all was fine and she took one look at me and said "I'm going to get you a glass of wine" which helped a little

I had imagined getting home to my mum & dads house around 4/5pm and chilling out but we didn't actually get in until nearer to 8pm. I suppose I didn't really have a lot of time to think about what was happening! I was lying in bed when I realised I hadn't taken my dress out of the bag so was a bit more stressed when I realised it was a bit crinkled But I knew I had to get to sleep as I didn't want to crash and burn the next day. I had such a stuffy nose from a cold that was building up but managed to sleep pretty well that night.

I imagined waking up at like 4am and not getting any sleep but I actually slept right through to my alarm. After all those sleepless nights during planning over decision making and making lists in my head!

When I woke up the next morning I instantly squealed and said to Zoe "I'm getting married today!!!!

I was super excited and couldn't wait to get my dress on! Although we had the task of trying to steam the creases out! It makes me laugh when I think of how pernickity I was with the dress - picking tiny bits of fluff or hairs that were on the layers of tulle, because I spent a lot of time just hauling it around on the grass and didn't really care!

My bridesmaids started arriving along with the hairdresser and MUA and it was a bit surreal! After going in the shower I went downstairs to give everyone their gifts so we could get ready. 

I don't look the best in the early photos as I was last to have hair and make up done which I thought would be best as I would be fresh (I will come back to this later) this is just a photo someone took on their phone...

The girls all loved their gifts and had a giggle at the funny bits and bobs I put in!

Here are some more photos from the morning...

Really like this natural photo of my bridesmaid and flower girl 

My wee dad was so cute being the host making sure everyone was topped up and made filled rolls and took them around on trays! I got a bit emotional when he put some music on such as Bruno Mars "Marry You" and especially The Dixie Cups "Going to the Chapel"

Again, throughout the whole morning I was super chilled out. Enjoying prosecco, taking it in, reading texts messages from friends wishing me happy wedding day, enjoying my much sought after warm croissants with Nutella. Everyone was surprised with me being so relaxed.

Now those of you who have read my planning thread know that I'm a super organised person and obsessive list maker - the thought of not being organised or the possibility of being late stresses me out completely I'm NEVER LATE. I started to think when I should get dressed. I decided that as the cars were coming at 1.15pm I should get dressed at 12.30pm to allow time for photos and just generally gather my thoughts and emotions.

WELL For some reason everything got a bit behind and my hair and make-up wasn't finished until 1.05pm - queue me becoming a bit stressed. I tried to stay a calm and got a few photos taken....

All hands on deck!

The kimono robes I got the girls. I bought one for myself in white but Zoe surprised me with the "Bride to be" robe so I wore that instead. I got the blackboard idea from Pinterest!

imageimage

Almost ready 

• Roisin-2Roisin-2 Posts: 7

You look stunning looking forward to reading the rest 😀X

Thank you Roisin

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,202

Ahhhh noooo I got the the end....! More more more! You look stunning Memza! x

• Kim90Kim90 Posts: 185

Loving this...!

In the mean time my photographer was capturing some details...

Still absolutely love my dress it was 100% the right choice for me - Sophia Tolli "Ida" which I found on Pinterest and hunted down. I knew it was "the one" before I even tried it on...

imageimage

The brooch bouquet that took me forever becasuse I was being such a perfectionist and dismantled it about 4 times but hey I got there in the end!

My old, one of my many news, borrowed and blue and sixpence for my shoe which I actually lost while changing my shoes later on

The beautiful flowers

And the much anticipated secret shoes!............

imageimageimageimage

These were handpainted for me by a lovely lady called Rana on etsy, such a talented lady and I absolutely loved them!

Once hair and make up was finally done I was eager to get upstairs to get my dress on but had to have a photo with my babies first

• MrsLjCMrsLjC Posts: 1,201 New bride

Aww, loving this Memza! 

• lubeslubes Posts: 1,555

Yay!!! Glad to see you back Memza. You look beautiful already...and those shoes are A M A ZING! x

• NennypennyNennypenny Posts: 151

Yay, your planning thread!!! I have been looking out for this - cant wait to read it all. You look stunning, very elegant and you do just look so calm. Don't leave us waiting too long hehe! X

• Little JulesLittle Jules Posts: 1,538

Wow gorgeous photos! You look so lovely. Looking forward to reading more!

• Sarah398Sarah398 Posts: 266

You looked gorgeous!!!  I loved your shoes, has given me an idea xx

I went upstairs to get my dress on I daren't ask what time it was because I knew that would worry me more! All I kept thinking was "Derek knows I'm never late, he will think I've done a runner!" Haha

My dress had a strapless bra sewn into it so that I wouldn't need to wear a bra but since I'm extremely unlucky in that department I felt that I needed a bit of an extra boost and also wanted to have a nice underwear set on when I took my dress off later  so I got a nice bridal boost strapless bra for underneath ready to put on. I also hadn't tried my dress on since I picked it up from the shop 3 weeks earlier as wanted to wait and have the full experience on the big day. I wasn't too worried about this as I had a corset back on my dress.

HOWEVER

When the time came to put my dress on I was so excited but a bit rushy by this point. My photographer had planned to get some nice photos of my mum helping me get dressed. Then I heard panic in my mums voice "Emma, I can't get it shut"

WHAAAAAAT queue crazy bridezilla sheer panic thinking "Oh my god I've put on weight what the hell am I going to do" the photographer at this point put down her camera in order to do a team effort with my mum trying to pull me in "I don't care if it hurts pull it tighter!!!" I said, I felt like one of the ugly stepsisters trying to fit into Cinderella's dress the biggest issue was the panel on the back had a stud and wouldn't close over.

Then the penny dropped - I'd been a bit too ambitious with my "boost" bra which I hadn't worn to my dress fittings. It had to go. I was gutted but relieved to get in my dress! Then it was all hands on deck getting my veil in shoes on jewellery on! In the mean time my dad appeared upstairs to let me know that my car had arrived. No first look with my dad then!

Finally I was ready to leave and went into what I would call "Ultimate Cheesy Mode"

It's half cringeworthy, half hilarious to me the amount of photos there are throughout the day of me with this absolute grin on my face. The whole week had been a bit touch and go weather wise and I was pleased that it was dry but as I was ready to leave my mum & dads house the sun was completely out like a summer's day and neighbours appeared out of their houses to come and see me. I felt so happy and overwhelmed I couldn't believe how perfect everything was

We all had a few tears before leaving then it was time to get in the car!

A few photos of us leaving...

With my mummy & daddy

imageimage

I'm aware that I'm overloading you all with photos and apologies for that but it can't be helped haha

In the meantime this is what the boys were up to...

imageimage

Derek loved his box I made up for him

imageimage

I really like this photo too

Excuse the garden table that needs painted, although I do think it gives the photo a 'rustic' feel haha

The boys at the pub...

The whole time planning our wedding my biggest fear was crying loads and having an ugly cry face. Weddings make me cry, bagpipes, make me cry, other people crying makes me cry. So I was pretty much destined for a tear filled day!

Another bout of tears as we got to the castle and I saw that yet more people had come to see us arrive, the bagpipes started and everything was so overwhelming! 

My wee dad was pretty emotional!

When it came to walking down the aisle it was crazy I didn't know which side to go on I didn't think about how fast I should be walking I felt like I sprinted down the aisle I remember my dad saying to me "slow down!" But luckily I chilled a bit haha.

As I say, I was so worried about doing my "ugly cry face" and I almost managed not to. Until this point. some of you are probably thinking "Why would you post that photo?" The answer is - it just absolutely cracks me up. Not only am I doing an ugly cry face - my mums crying, dads crying, my auntie is crying in the background, my brothers MIL is crying and my sister-in-laws face is priceless (behind my mum)

• Mrs..C..2beMrs..C..2be Posts: 318 New bride

Im sure others will agree that's it lovely being able to see all the pics with the commentary so don't worry worry about overloading. It looks like a beautiful day and I love the cheesy grin pic, you look stunning. Love how its captured your excitement. And the shoes!!! Love the shoes they're fab x

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

You look beautiful xxxx Keep the pictures coming! Love reading your report. 

Thank you so much you're all so kind I was truly so happy so I suppose it doesn't matter that I look slightly crazy haha

I love all the photos! They speak a thousand words . I bet the piper bringing you in especially was amazing! x

• Kitten2014Kitten2014 Posts: 1,489

I'm loving your report, Memza - keep it going! And the pictures are the best part of any report, so don't hold back!

I love the pic with everyone crying - reading your description of it makes it humorous! I also love the pic of you and the fur-babies. Wedding photos aren't complete without a few with the furry family members. 

I couldn't stop smiling through the vows so more "Ultimate Cheesy" photos to follow I remember just smiling at Derek then smiling at his best men behind him then smiling at Derek again. I daren't look at any of our parents as I knew I would just cry! One of his best men said to me afterwards "You had the most beautiful, happiest, cheesiest face I've ever seen on anyone ever"  

There was a crowd giggle when she told Derek to take my left hand. He of course took my right hand and the registrar said "Her other left hand"

He told me afterwards "You tricked me, your engagement ring was on the other hand" haha

I've always been really close with my auntie - I was also a flower girl at her first wedding 23 years ago and I had her daughter as a bridesmaid (my blonde cousin) and I knew I wanted to involve her in the wedding too. She was an amazing help throughout planning and helped a lot with DIY too. I decided to ask her to do a reading, which she did really well.

She is quirky so I wanted a slightly witty one. I found this one online and amended it slightly...

He always leaves the seat up, wet towels on the floor 
    The toothpaste has no lid on, And he never locks the door! 
    She's not that clean and tidy, Though she may sometimes delude 
    Leave things out at your peril, In a second they'll have moved! 
    He's a very active person, And he always wants to win 
    Although he likes his lazy days, he'll try to drag her to the gym! 
    She romances him and dines him, Home cooked dinners and the like 
    She even knows his favourite food, And cooks for him every night! 
    She's thoughtful when she looks at him - A smile upon her face 
    Will he look that good in 50 years, When his false teeth aren't in place?! 
    He says he loves her figure, And her mental prowess too 
    But when gravity takes her over, Will she charm him with her IQ? 
    They're both not wholly perfect, But who are we to judge 
    He can be pig headed, and she won't even budge! 
    All that said and done, They really love each other 
    And I hope as I'm sure you do, That their love will last forever. 
    He'll be more than just her husband, He'll also be her friend 
    And she'll be more than just his wife, she'll drive him round the bend. 
    As we have all beared witness, they took a solemn vow 
    This poem for Emma and Derek, almost a married couple now 

We said our 'I do's' and became Mr & Mrs Hutchison

Some photos around the castle...

This was good fun, we never went up the aisle as such for some reason so the videographer asked everyone to stand on either side and we were piped up the middle!

imageimage

With our mums and dads

the wedding party

I love all the colours especially since it was such a beautiful day I think everything just worked really well together

I think this photo of me, Derek and my MOH Zoe is funny

and everyone admiring my shoes!

We were lucky that the bus didn't leave without our guests since we were running so late (oops) now it was time for us to have some time to ourselves and it was really nice to just take everything in. I really wanted some natural photos during our bride & groom session, I much prefer them to the staged ones. Here are a few of my favourite photos...

imageimageimageimage

I love the castle grounds and am so pleased we chose it as our venue. I had bought some little wellies just in case but luckily I didn't need them!

• Kitten2014Kitten2014 Posts: 1,489

Your pictures are so beautiful! The two of you make such a gorgeous couple.

It looks like it was a beautiful day - you are so lucky, our March weather here was completely horrible!

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

Aww! Beautiful wedding. 

I'm planning a March wedding and can not wait for 24th March 2018! 

Memza I just love all these pictures. You honestly look stunning! If I could look half as good as you do in my photos, I will be happy! When are you off on honeymoon? Can't be long now?  x

Thank you so much

Lubes I'm sure you will look stunning! Not long to go now I bet the weeks are flying in! I really need to catch up on your thread I've hardly been on here since the wedding, I hope everything's going well!

We are away on the 29th June so still 5 weeks yet but so excited! I'm collecting bits and bobs and planning outfits. Going all out on the cheese too, haha, Derek has ordered me a "Wifey" top which I'm going to wear to the airport. I also have a "Mrs Hutchison" transfer for my bikini bottoms and look at my beach bag!

Yay that's so exciting! A nice amount of time to build it up after the wedding too.

OH I LOVE the tote bag. I would totally flaunt that everywhere on honeymoon if I was you!

Yes we are doing okay thanks! I am just trying to not have any meltdowns :') x