Same Sex Female Unconventional Wedding Iceland

We got married in Iceland on 1 June. We initially had upset family members and a big reveal to my dad who was clueless [read in denial] that I had been in a relationship with a woman for over 9 years, even now he doesn't understand why we felt the need to marry!

That aside, the day was as unconventional as it got. We had hired a motorhome that we were driving around Iceland in and the day of the wedding involved us getting our hair done at a local salon, driving (with the photographer we had flown out from the UK in the back) in our jeans, fleece and hiking boots with immaculate hair, makeup and veil/headpiece to our first stop in Vic. We changed in the motorhome (the photographer had left the van at this point!) and headed down the beach, we headed to nearby cliffs and basalt columns. It would be around 3pm at this point. We got quite a bit of attention and the black sand and crashing waves made for some epic pictures.

We stopped at numerous sights, now driving in wedding dresses with a Lonely Planet in our hands, stopping at the huge Skoggafoss waterfall and a small cafe for a panini. We then headed back to our little cabin at Hella for a refresh before our 9pm ceremony at a small undiscovered waterfall. The ceremony was a Humanist one and the wording of this was beautiful. It captured our sense of adventure and was based on trust, live and friendship.

After the ceremony we headed to the most beautiful roads in Iceland surrounded by fields of purple and blue lupins with snow capped volcanos in the background. Did I mention more waterfalls? It was midnight sun in Iceland so we had nr 23 hrs of daylight so photos were still being taken at turned midnight and we were at one point hiking behind a waterfall!

We returned to our little Airbnb cabin late at night, or early in the morning to find the lady we rented it off has left us prosecco, roses and Icelandic chocolates. We were married, it was just the two of us and it was pretty darn perfect!!!!

I'll put some pictures on once I figure out how to do it!

• Rachel-19Rachel-19 Posts: 23

How do I upload pictures?

• Sarah398Sarah398 Posts: 266

I havent attempted to look at the photos yet but sounds amazing - congratulations xoxo

• K1984K1984 Posts: 88

Aww the pics havent worked but look forward to seeing them. It sounds amazing! Hopefully your dad will come round soon. Xx

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,350 New bride

Hi

Sounds like an amazing day.

To post photos, you click the camera icon to the top right of the comments box. You then just select the files you want to upload. You might need to download the pictures to your computer / phone / tablet first rather than use the URL.

Looking forward to seeing them.

• rachietownrachietown Posts: 125

This sounds so incredibly beautiful!

Wow, I can't wait to see your photos!! x

I am clicking the camera button and selecting the pictures and then nothing!  I've downloaded them onto a folder and tried from a mobile and desktop!

First Picture Test:

I think I've got it, the size is too big so I need to resize them all!

So, this was my veil - from Diane Harbridge @ Chester

• Marija2Marija2 Posts: 362

OMG it sounds like my dream wedding!!! Can't wait for the pictures!!!

I'll just put up a few of our favourites! They have had to be resized to fit on this forum. This is the first lot pre-ceremony.

Back at the cabin with a cup of tea, just getting the dresses ready to go into the motorhome!

The basalt columns:

The black sand/rocky beach at Vic

Big Waves

Getting wet by said waves (and the water was freeeeeezing)

In a cave

No we didn't get married at the church, Iceland has lots of random churches in the middle of nowhere!  Note my partner in 'jesus sandles' and my North Face hiking boots.  We both had lovely heels wore for about 25 minutes at the ceremony, this was our footwear for most of the day!

We are teeny tiny on this picture and walked miles of beach!

A little black and white shot

I really like this one, we were very high on a cliff even though it looks like I am dragging my wife to be!

And yes, that is us next to Skogafoss, it was close to 8pm so luckily it was very quiet.

imageimage

• susan28susan28 Posts: 268

congratulations!  wow,  beautiful,  breathtaking pictures.   xx

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

Wow your pictures are amazing 

• Sarah398Sarah398 Posts: 266

STUNNING PICS XXXX

So, this was the ceremony, I posted this picture so you could see the waterfall we married at (it's unknown, not in any of the tourist brochures, we found it by accident). We had to have the ceremony slightly away from the waterfall as it was quiet loud! We even manage to incorporate some Game of Thrones wording into our ceremony too and a binding of the hands. 

And yay, we are married (one of our fave pics)!

You can see here how we climbed up to the top of the waterfall for the ceremony.  

So, 10pm turned we headed off on some undiscovered roads for some random pics or isolated roads, lakes, volcano, mountains, fields of lupins and more waterfalls!

imageimageimageimage

Our motorhome we hired for 2 weeks, called 'Walter the Wedding Warrior'

And the final picture where we got absolutely drenched!  It was turned midnight at this point.

I've tried to narrow it down to just a few, but we were really spoilt for choice.  If anyone is looking for a photographer, then Albert Palmer Photography we would highly recommend, but I'll let the pictures do the talking there.

Both our dresses are for sale too if any bride on here is interested and they have never been worn in the UK. I hope this helps anyone planning a wedding in Iceland.

• MrsG2bxxMrsG2bxx Posts: 868

Your pictures are breath-taking! they look like they are straight out of a fashion magazine or something! congratulations to you both!! xxxx

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,597 New bride

Wow, what stunning pictures! The only problem is how on earth will you choose which ones to hang on the wall!

MrsG2bxx wrote (see post):

Your pictures are breath-taking! they look like they are straight out of a fashion magazine or something! congratulations to you both!! xxxx

Aw, thank you! It feels unreal looking at the pictures now.  We spent another 10 days in Iceland after so we haven't been back that long. We were very laid back, even when, 9 days before we were due to leave for Iceland I still hadn't got a dress, shoes or veil having not been able to find what I wanted at all! I stumbled across this in the designer Diane Harbridge at Chester, it had only ever been used in a fashion shoot a couple of days before and it fit me like it had been made for me and the pure silk was amazing, so I was very lucky otherwise I'd of being getting married in my jeans! My wife was far more organised . . . . 

• Kitten2014Kitten2014 Posts: 1,489

Most gorgeous pictures ever! Have you thought about submitting them to a magazine?

I have always wanted to visit Iceland - and yet I had no idea it was this amazing of a place.  Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures and wedding day with us!

WOW - amazing photos.

Your dresses are lovely. I have been to that large waterfall and it is amazing in real life. Iceland is a beautiful place.

Random question - was the ceremony legal? A friend of mine is thinking of a destination wedding and was thinking of Iceland.

Sammykate wrote (see post):

Wow, what stunning pictures! The only problem is how on earth will you choose which ones to hang on the wall!

Lol, we can't do anything as our house is on the market! We had a lovely heart shaped shabby-chic picture frame we are dying to put up but I don't think we can go knocking nails in the wall when we are hopefully going to move!  

MrsTwizbe wrote (see post):

WOW - amazing photos.

Your dresses are lovely. I have been to that large waterfall and it is amazing in real life. Iceland is a beautiful place.

Random question - was the ceremony legal? A friend of mine is thinking of a destination wedding and was thinking of Iceland.

Yes, we had to go to the local registry office (Chester for us) and complete a notice of marriage.  We then submitted this to a company called Pink Iceland.  They can do everything for you, but we had them to solely sort out the paperwork side of things.  

Ironically a few minutes ago an envelope came with a red wax love heart sealed brown envelope, and it was Pink Iceland and it is our wedding certificate!  Pink Iceland dealt with this and it is all legal and registered in both Iceland and the UK.

Kitten2014 wrote (see post):

Most gorgeous pictures ever! Have you thought about submitting them to a magazine?

I have always wanted to visit Iceland - and yet I had no idea it was this amazing of a place.  Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures and wedding day with us!

Thankyou!  No, I haven't submitted them to a magazine.  I'm not sure they'd be interested in them.  Lets face it not many magazines have LGBT weddings!

Iceland is fantastic, we spent 2 weeks there, and the West Fjords were probably the most magical place I've ever been to.  Reading some of the threads on here I'm so pleased we didn't have the stress of guests! 

"Lets face it not many magazines have LGBT weddings!" Well they should!

I think you should submit them, they are amazing photos.

Thanks for the info - that is such a lovely way for them to send you your certificate.

• TheLegacyofMrsMTheLegacyofMrsM Posts: 2,187 New bride

Albert Palmer did my photos too! I saw the title and thought 'I wonder if that's the brides from Alberts blog...' fantastic photos and a beautiful wedding :)

TheLegacyofMrsM wrote (see post):

Albert Palmer did my photos too! I saw the title and thought 'I wonder if that's the brides from Alberts blog...' fantastic photos and a beautiful wedding :)

Lol, yes it is us.  He is lovely isn't he.  

• MoggleMoggle Posts: 556

Congratulations! Your photos are so beautiful, you both look amazing as does the scenery. I would never have thought about Iceland for a destination elopement, just lovely! 

Moggle wrote (see post):

Congratulations! Your photos are so beautiful, you both look amazing as does the scenery. I would never have thought about Iceland for a destination elopement, just lovely! 

We are very outdoorsy people and love hiking, so it suited us perfectly. My wife would have gone somewhere hot, but I don't really do hot places, OK for a day or two but not to marry! Icealnd are also very gay friendly, and at one point they had a female 'out' lesbian prime minister who married her partner - very liberal views.