โ€บ

Brick by Brick - The Report

4 weeks on from the wedding and I have been desperate to write this. Partly because it means that I get to re-live the wedding for a bit longer! We got the photos through in our online gallery from the photographer on Saturday so I figured that now is an acceptable time to start writing it. You'll just have to excuse the watermark on the photos while I wait for the non-watermarked ones to come though.

So, here goes....

ยซ134

• August18August18 Posts: 247

yey!!!! cant wait to read xxx

• Lexi90Lexi90 Posts: 971

Eeek Thank you for writing, I can't wait to read! 

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

Yay!! Come back!! I need to read your report. XxxxX 

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

Woop!

• elsyelsy Posts: 533

T minus 1 day

After a frantic few days of having time off while J was still at work, the day before the wedding arrived and we were both still strangely calm about it all. Everything was finally done and all we needed to do was deliver everything to the venue and for me to collect my dress. Oh, and J needed to get the best man's gift engraved (nothing like leaving it to the last minute!)

We headed off to the venue relatively early with a car full of stuff and began unloading. Our wedding co-ordinator met us there and showed us into the ceremony room where she said we could leave everything. Before going in she had said that everything was set up and ready for us. I hadn't quite anticipated how set up and ready she meant and so walking in to the room and seeing all the chairs laid out ready for the ceremony was slightly strange and for a brief moment I panicked. Not about getting married but about the idea of getting married and whether everything was really all sorted. This feeling quickly turned to excitement though. Even stranger was turning around and looking through the double doors into the reception room with that all set up too.
    We quickly unpacked the car and were told that we didn't need to do anything else, the venue dressers would set up the room and lay the tables etc for us.
    At this point, I headed off to go and collect my dress and J went off into town to do the last minute bits he needed to do.

A couple of hours later, the dress was collected, my parents had arrived at the hotel and J was finished in town. This is where things went slightly downhill.

When I say things went downhill, I don't really mean it. What I should say is that they got a bit rushed and I ended up quite stressed.

My mum had booked myself and her a nail appointment at a local salon for the Friday afternoon so off we headed for that. I had a vague idea as to what I wanted but on walking into the salon, they seemed to have different ideas. I had said I wanted a gel polish, I didn't get a gel polish. Mum had said the same. She also didn't get a gel polish. The girl doing it just seemed totally against doing it for us no matter how much we said about the colours we liked etc and kept picking out gel colours. She opened up a drawer of normal polishes and there was nothing that either of us wanted.
    To make matters worse, J and I had had the bunnies neutered on the Wednesday before and they were due at the vets on the Friday for a check up. This meant that I had quite a tight time scale for my nail appointment.
    In the end, I gave up and just told the girl to give me natural fingernails and chose a red for my toes. Not really what I'd planned but I didn't see any other option and was starting to lose the plot a bit. Because I had thought I would be having a gel polish, I didn't take flip flops or anything with me and I ended up putting my feet back into my boots, with still wet polish on my toes to whizz off to the vets. I think you can all guess what that polish ended up looking like!

Vets trip done, bunnies dropped off back home, the rest of my stuff loaded into the car and it was back off to the venue for the final time before the wedding. J came with me.

• EpiphanyEpiphany Posts: 718

Oooh I enjoyed your planning thread very much, looking forward to reading the report - and seeing the pictures! :)

• MrsNH17MrsNH17 Posts: 524 New bride

Yey can't wait to read!! Need to do mine too - had planned to at the weekend but the weather was too nice 

• PottyPotty Posts: 481 New bride

How annoying about the nail woman, I bloody hate it when they do that!!!!  So excited for pictures!!!

Married September 2018, Baby due October 2019.  
  • SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,298

So excited to see your pictures! I think I would have had a full on bridezilla melt down at the nail lady.

• Ahh can't wait to hear more! :)

• Really excited to read this report! Can't believe it's been 4 weeks already.

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,202

I've never gone to get my nails done before - why would she not do as you asked?

Jenni I'm with you. Never had my nails done so baffled why they wouldn't do what you want. 

I'm having my nails done the day before and if the person doesn't do what I want I think there is a good chance I will find my inner bridezilla and create a scene. (Maybe I shouldn't have my nails done...). 

Hurry up we need more! 

They just want to do what they think looks nice sometimes I think. Whenever I get mine done I have them quite short and EVERY time they're like are you sure? Longer is better? Why do you even have them done for them to be this short? I'm always like just shut up, cut them down and bloody do what I've asked!!!  In a much nicer and polite way of course. It is bloody annoying though! 

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,202
    MrsSpag2B wrote (see post):

In a much nicer and polite way of course.  

Of course.....  Not the day before the wedding though!

Jenni8 wrote (see post):
    MrsSpag2B wrote (see post):

In a much nicer and polite way of course.  

Of course.....  Not the day before the wedding though!

Defo not Jenni!!!! ๐Ÿ˜ˆ๐Ÿ˜‚

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

I say "I dont want them too long, just past my fingertip" girl snips them to horror movie claw length "is that ok?" Me "erm, a bit shorter than that, I dont want them really long" *snip, evil witch length* "a bit shorter" *snip* "shorter please?"

In the end I just have to accept the long nails ๐Ÿ˜‚

MrsJ2017 wrote (see post):

I say "I dont want them too long, just past my fingertip" girl snips them to horror movie claw length "is that ok?" Me "erm, a bit shorter than that, I dont want them really long" *snip, evil witch length* "a bit shorter" *snip* "shorter please?"

In the end I just have to accept the long nails ๐Ÿ˜‚

Story of my life MrsJ ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

I'll try and write more tonight. No promises though. 

As to the nails, I genuinely believe that she just couldn't be bothered. They shut at 4pm and our appointment was at 2. I think she just wanted to make sure she got out on time. My mum hadn't specified anything when she booked, just booked us both in for a manicure and pedicure. They also didn't ask. 

I was on the verge of losing it with her when she wouldn't do what we wanted but I was just getting that stressed that I wanted to leave. In the end it was just easier to let her do something than just sit and argue with her. 

I ended up doing my own nails in my hotel room at 11pm that night though as there was no way I could get married with my toes looking how they did! 

T minus 1 day continued

After the eventful and not quite how I'd wanted it trip to have my nails done, I was a bit fed up and also starving. It dawned on me whilst driving to the venue that I'd not eaten since 8am that morning. By this point, it was 5.30pm! My relatively relaxing day before the wedding was clearly not meant to be. It was at this point that I decided I needed cocktails!
    We got to the hotel, took the last of my bits up to our suite and then headed down to the bar where J's mum and step dad were. We sat having drinks with them and slowly more friends and family arrived. It ended up with us taking up one side of the bar, all sat having pre-wedding drinks. It was lovely.
    J headed off at about 9pm telling me that he was going home to write his speech. This didn't quite go to plan as I later found out - he got distracted by his brother and step brother who he bumped into and ended up going out drinking with them, not getting home until 2am!

I headed up to my room at about 10pm and whilst he was out drinking, I was sat trying to sort out my nails!! It was at this point that I got a message from J telling me to look in my bag. He had somehow managed to slip a card in there that basically told me how it was OK to be nervous and that he couldn't wait for the following day and our future together after the wedding. 

Finally with nails that were helf decent, I had the quickest bath ever and fell into bed. Not before taking a picture from my balcony though...

The day has come!

After falling into bed at just after 11pm, I was hoping for a decent sleep. I was not that lucky. I remember being awake still at about 12.30pm - I just couldn't sleep. Not for excitemement or worry or anything like that, I just could not get comfortable without having J with me. It's rare for me to stay somewhere without him so it felt a bit odd and I just couldn't quite settle. I finally fell asleep but was rudely awoken at 5.30am by someone ringing the doorbell to my suite. To this day, I still have no idea who it was. To be honest, at the time I didn't even know I had a doorbell to my suite and stayed in bed completely confused for a while.

In fact, I stayed in bed for half an hour pretty much just staring at my dress. I had tried hanging it in all sorts of places in my room the night before but no-where was quite right for it. In the end, I settled on hanging it from the bed and I'm quite glad I did. Waking up and seeing it hanging there was a nice sight to wake up to.

It wasn't until I dragged myself out of bed at 6am to go and check, that I realised I did in fact have a doorbell and hadn't dreamt it!
    That was it though, the morning of the wedding I was wide awake at 5.30am having had about 5 hours sleep.

I laid in bed for a while watching Frasier and drinking tea. Whilst it was an early start, it was actually quite nice to have some time to myself before the madness began. At 7.30am the texts and Facebook messages started to come through with people wishing us luck etc. It was quite surreal to think that after 18 months of planning, the day had finally arrived.

I had my room service breakfast brought up and my mum followed not long after with her breakfast. We sat talking and drinking more tea for a while.

I think this is one of the best views I've had for breakfast in a while! It's not often that you get to sit with a cathedral right outside your window!

My hair and make up lady arrived at 8.30am and that was it. It all suddenly felt very real! She started off doing my hair. I had spent some time in the run up to the wedding look back over my hair and make up pictures and began to have some doubts as to whether my hair in the photo was actually how I wanted it. On the day though, I just went with it and was really glad I had. Whilst I was sat having my hair done J's mum arrived ready for her hair and make up to be done, as did his sister (one of the bridesmaids). She was doing her own hair and make up but I wanted both bridesmaids up in my room getting ready with me. The second of my bridesmaids arrived shortly after.
    The doorbell went when I wasn't expecting it and in walked the guy who had brought my breakfast, this time carrying a tray of cocktails and an envelope. On opening the envelope I discovered that J had arranged for drinks to be sent up to get the morning started. This was the first of many envelopes throughout the morning!

(You'll have to excuse the watermark on the photos)

I have to say, far from the rushed morning that I was thinking I'd probably have, it felt really relaxed. I had my hair done and then was effectively left to my own devices for a while while my mum had her hair done, then J's mum had her hair and make up sorted. I spent most of this time wandering around the suite, staring at my dress, taking deliver of my flowers and talking! Lots of talking! It was finally time for my make up to be done and all everyone kept saying to me was how calm I was. And I was! I thought I'd be a bag of nerves but I was surprisingly calm. My photographer even commented on it saying that he thought I was one of the calmest brides he'd ever photographed!

How strange someone ringing your suite doorbell! 

Love the report! More please! Your morning sounds so calm! 

• August18August18 Posts: 247

eekk loving this. the morning sounds great! Can't wait to hear more x

I would love to know who had rung the doorbell but nobody has owned up to it. I had said to my dad the night before that he could come up to my room for coffee when he woke up (he's a really early riser and I had fully expected to be awake early) but apparently it wasn't him. He was awake at 5.30am but couldn't remember where my room was so didn't come up!

The morning was really calm and not what I had expected. To be honest, I'm not sure what I had been expecting, other than that I thought I would be a bag of nerves and I really wasn't. I think the fact that it all just felt quite surreal helped to keep me calm. It kind of felt like I was getting ready for someone elses wedding rather than mine I was that calm!

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

Probably because by the point you're getting ready everything is done and there's no point stressing! Can't wait to read more.

You're probably right Hails, although for the whole of the wedding planning process I had been freaking out over the idea of walking down the aisle. This thought didn't even occur to me until about 12pm on the day of the wedding.

Sometime between 11am - 12.30pm

With my hair and make up done and everyone else getting theirs sorted still, I was again left to my own devices. By this point my flowers had arrived and I took to trying to get J's gran's brooch onto the ribbon tied around them. I had decided just a few weeks before the wedding that I thought it would be a nice way of encorporating her into the wedding and J's mum had given me one of his gran's favourite brooches to use.
    I also used the time to give my dress the once over. I was paranoid about there being a lose thread amongst the lace or a mark on it somewhere. Luckily there were neither.

I wandered back through to my living room area and sat drinking cocktails and talking to everyone else. The cathedral bells chimed midday and J's sister (E) looked to me and said "You've got an hour!" It was at this point that my heart felt like it skipped a beat and the nerves slowly began to creep in. It was the first time that morning that I'd really felt it.

With the girls all getting ready, the photographer went off to meet up with J, his best man and his dad to take some photos of them.
    J had stayed at our house the night before and had got ready with his best man there. They were then dropped off to the venue at some point and had fun wandering around the Cathedral Quarter of Lincoln with the photographer. After half an hour with them, the photographer came back up to my room and it was time to get into my dress!

I hadn't anticipated how hard the buttons would be for someone that's not used to doing them up. The lady in the dress shop obviously spends hours each week doing up and undoing buttons on dresses for brides and so is well practised. My bridesmaids were obviously not. E started off doing the buttons but had to stop half way through to let my other bridesmaid (T) try. It resulted in them both doing the buttons!
    At this point, my room was packed with people. J's mum had come up for one last visit before going down to the ceremony room, my parents were there, as was my brother, T and E, the photographer and my hair and make up artist.

Another card appeared in the room from J, although it threw me slightly as the envelope was labelled as number 3. I hadn't had number 2! I looked to my mum and she suddenly realised that I'd not been given it! J had given her all the cards the night before and she was meant to be giving them to me at different points of the morning. She had gone down to her room to get dressed though and had left card number 2 in the guest toilet of my suite (yes, I had a separate toilet that I classed as my guest toilet) along with a bag. Apparently she had told J's mum it was there but not actually asked her to give it to me. Off she ran to go and get it so that I could open the cards in order. The 2nd card was the one that came with my wedding perfume - J had chosen my wedding perfume for me as my present. The boy did good choosing Gucci Bamboo

I was then able to open envelope number 3. Inside, the card simply said

"See you soon! Smile! No, nicely...."

It's an on-going thing between J and I that I always pull a silly face when someone is taking photos of me and he always has to tell me to smile nicely to make me laugh and get a decent picture. This became an on-going thing between the photographer and myself at various points throughout the day too!

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

Aw how cute and thoughtful was he with the cards!

You look beautiful too, and somehow totally different to how Id imagined, and the dress is gorgeous. Love the back bit especially.

• NikkiMNikkiM Posts: 1,548 New bride

Loving the report and photos so far! Keep them coming!

ยซ134