โ€บ

THE REPORT - Our barn wedding March 2017

It's finally time for the wedding report!! The photos have landed so it's only fair that I tell you all about how amazing my wedding day was.

Just as a bit of a recap:

Bride & Groom: Nikki and David Mallory

Wedding Date: 23 March 2017

Venue: Dodford Manor, Northamptonshire

Length of time spent planning wedding: around 14 months 

Planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/our-barn-wedding---march-2017/431085.html - just in case you haven't read my thread and fancy reading about my ride on the wedding rollercoaster!

Engagement: 25 November 2015 at home with the 'kids' (our dog and cats)

Now let's begin...

ยซ1345

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

Eek!!! Been looking forward to reading your report!! 

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐ŸŽ‰

Gorgeous couple, cant wait to read more and see more pics

• Helen225Helen225 Posts: 861 New bride

YES!!!

• SpacepuffinSpacepuffin Posts: 664

Wooooooo! I've been waiting for this! X

• NikkiMNikkiM Posts: 1,646 New bride

The day before the wedding...

(This is a bit of a copy and paste job from my thread)

Bit of a stressful morning but everything got dropped off with the venue. D's mum, as we were driving to drop stuff off (she really didn't need to come but told us she was coming anyway), told me (didn't ask or offer) that she would be helping take my dress off tomorrow night with her crochet hook!! Seriously she really did tell me this would be happening! Apparently it's not something D or the best man needed to do. I told D he better not tell her our room number. She will not be undressing me on my wedding night! Bloody hell! 

I then went to get some sandwiches for tomorrow's lunch and when I came home, D's mum was there again!! I had wanted to say a proper bye to D as we wouldn't see each other until the ceremony but she was there watching so we didn't really have much of a goodbye other than a quick hug and kiss. She definitely wound me up during the day. I know she's excited too but I don't need to see her all day! It was probably a mixture of emotions and knowing my wedding day was quickly approaching.

I gave my parents their presents and card and they both cried. Surprisingly whilst I was emotional when I was on my own during the day, I was fine with them. I felt nervous all day until I collected my dress (inbetween rain showers I might add). Suddenly I felt so calm. It didn't seem real collecting my dress knowing I would be wearing it the next day. Or that I wouldn't need to go for any more fittings for my dress.

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,202

Yeyyyyyy!!!

I drove myself to the hotel and passed the venue on the way. Again still not feeling like I was getting married. Annoyingly when I arrived at the hotel, the car park was rammed and I had to park miles away and walk in the rain with all my stuff. And then I discovered the hotel was having a refurbishment so the main reception, which was lovely, was shut off and guests had to walk in a side entrance to get in. No one had thought to warn us of this either! I ended up walking half way round the hotel as my room was right next to the entrance they were refurbishing.

I had a bit of a panic when checking in as the reception couldn't find a room under my name. The only one they had was in my mum's name. When I mentioned I hoped I had a room as I was getting married the next day, the lady at reception said oh you'll be down as the bride and groom then! Yep we have your room here. Thank god!

It was a little bit odd being in a hotel room in my own. I hung my dress up and showered as my hair needed to be a little bit dirty for the up do and then waited for my mum and sister to arrive as they were also staying in the hotel.

They also had the wedding cake with them, which I wasn't allowed to see until the wedding day and it was being stored in the car overnight. I was tempted to have a sneaky peak but I restrained myself. 

We all went out for dinner with my bridesmaids, Gemma and Kelly. It was a lovely relaxing evening and no one was interested in having more than one glass of wine. For some reason I didn't even want one as I seemed to have developed a fear of being and looking hungover on the day. I was more than happy to get back to the hotel and have a cup of tea! By 10pm I was going back to my hotel room to go to bed. Me and David had a last bit of texting before bed. David had said after 12pm we were not allowed to contact each other. It was weird not sleeping in the same bed as him and I find I don't really sleep that well without him. I had one last look at my dress before turning the lights out. Oh my god I would next be waking up on my wedding day!!

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

*dies with excitement*

The wedding day - crack of dawn!

I hardly slept at all the night before the wedding. It must have been a mixture of excitement, nerves, the unknown and sleeping in a room that wasn't my own. I literally woke up every hour. So coupled with the fact I hadnt really had much sleep over the last few days, I did wonder whether my make up lady, Tricia, would have enough make up to cover my bags.

I heard it start raining at 3am and hoped it wouldn't last all day. It had been chucking it down in the run up to the wedding and the ladies at work have since told me they had been watching the weather too, hoping it would be ok on the day. They all apparently breathed a sigh of relief when they woke up to sunshine on the day. Apparently it was only supposed to rain in the early morning.

By 5am I decided I wasn't getting any more sleep, which also seemed to be the case with my mum and sister who started texting me telling me how excited they were. You could tell they were excited as they were talking about having nervous poos! ๐Ÿ˜‚ By 6am I was in the shower (the rain had stopped! Yay!) and by 6.30am they were knocking on the door, already having checked the car to make sure the wedding cake was still in one piece. It was all a bit surreal. We all knew something big was going to happen but none of us could quite believe it was going to happen. 

Oh bless you! I think I'm going to have insomnia the night before the wedding! (I don't sleep well at the best of times). 

The nervous poo comment made me laugh. H2b thinks I'm crazy. 

• EpiphanyEpiphany Posts: 718

Excited to read more sooooooon!

I had a feeling I wouldn't sleep well the night before. I don't generally sleep well the first night in a new place unless I'm completely exhausted. It's ok though as the adrenaline gets you through the day in one piece. So ladies if you don't manage to sleep the night before, it's not the end of the world. You probably won't even realise how tired you are until you get into the bed on the wedding night. 

7am - 8am

We all had our handmade vests on. I'm so glad I made these for us. Unfortunately I didn't get a photo of us all together wearing them but it definitely made us all feel a little bit weddingy.

(Warning - early morning no makeup shot of me and my sister, Hayley!)

I still didn't feel nervous. We went for breakfast at 7am, which was a bit of a rush job as the hair and makeup ladies told us they were coming around 7.15-7.30am. I was telling my mum at 7.10am to shove her food in and stop talking! Lol. Honestly she would have been there for ages otherwise!

I managed to eat quite a bit of breakfast so if you like your food like me, you might find you stuff your face if you're not nervous! So much for the 'light breakfast' of maybe toast and poached eggs I'd imagined I'd be eating. Try sausages, bacon, black pudding, mushrooms, eggs, tomatoes, toast and tea! 

The hair and makeup ladies ended up being delayed as there were some traffic works going on down the road from the hotel plus the extra hairdresser that had been roped in for the bridesmaids and my mum's hair put the wrong postcode into her satnav and ended up miles away! Luckily they had left enough time for any problems!

Whilst we were waiting my sister gave me a little present she had put together. It was a book called Letters To The Bride and had letters/cards from my mum, sister, dad, bridesmaids and David plus photos of them with me. They were so lovely and each of them had written something from the heart. My dad doesn't do soppy stuff so it was nice to get something from him too. I think my sister was hoping for tears as she kept saying I'm surprised you're not crying yet! I was still too calm for tears at this point.

I also got a bottle of my favourite rose champagne. I'd jokingly told my sister I'd be drinking Bucks Fizz on the morning as I had a bottle left from my works hen do, which she was horrified at, resulting in the champagne. Apparently Tesco Bucks Fizz isn't suitable for a bride on her wedding day. ๐Ÿ˜‚

My sister also gave me a present from David. He didn't know he was supposed to buy me a present so his was a little last minute. He got me a lovely diamond heart 2017 Pandora necklace, my favourite chocolates, my favourite perfume, Miss Dior, plus my favourite sweets. David was messaging my sister throughout the morning about how he couldn't wait to marry me and told her to tell me he loved my presents and felt guilty as he thought he should have put more effort in. I think he did perfectly well. He also sent me a song via my sister by Dusty Springfield 'I Only Want To Be With You' as this song reminds him of me. He was being quite romantic according to my sister with the things he was saying. Totally not David! Everyone was surprised I still wasn't getting emotional despite David's sudden romantic streak.

imageimage

Aww! I love the gifts! 

• Tanya128Tanya128 Posts: 1,993

Ooh been out for the evening so just catching up! Lovely start! Excited to read more, I love that pandora bead.

• Yay your report! Feel like I've been waiting ages for this! Can't wait to read more.

8am - 12pm

My bridesmaids, Kelly and Gemma, arrived around 8am and we all sat and chatted until the hair and makeup ladies arrived. Tricia, my hair and makeup lady, arrived just after them and got herself set up to start the 2 and half hour job of getting me ready!

Tricia is a lovely lady and very talented. I had no idea what I was looking for in a hair and makeup lady other than someone who charged a reasonable price but did a good job. There were so many out there charging an absolute fortune and others who seemed reasonably priced and were good with hair but not makeup. My mum mentioned Tricia to me as they had worked together before Tricia changed her career. I got in touch and the rest is history. She did an amazing job and I loved, loved, loved my hair and makeup. If you're looking for a hair and makeup lady around Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire (she does travel too), I'd highly recommend https://www.triciadcosta.co.uk/.

Tricia helped out with curling my mum's hair until the other hair lady, Vickie, arrived so I wasn't sat for the full 2 and half hours but near enough! My hair got done first and then the makeup. We'd had a trial last year and there were bits I'd asked her to change such as making my eyes darker. I remember sitting and looking out the window watching the same robin I'd seen when I'd opened the curtains earlier in the morning. Apparently this means a loved one is watching over you so we put it down as my granny and both grandads being with me on the morning.

The weather had also cleared up by this time and we had bright sunshine with a bit of wind. When I wasn't being made to look pretty, I was off getting the teas and coffees in whilst my sister did the bridesmaids and my mum's makeup. My sister is also very talented - cakes, makeup - she made a brilliant, very much appreciated contribution to the wedding. Overall a nice, relaxing morning with a lovely buzz of excitement from everyone.

The videographer, Zoltan, arrived around 11am, which was good timing as he missed filming me and the others without makeup. No one needs to see that! He was the videographer who had advertised on this forum to film weddings for free to build up his portfolio. I'll put more detail about him when I post the link to the wedding video. Quite simply he did an amazing job! He was quiet but got stuck straight in, filming literally everything! He didn't seem to miss a single detail.

I had a look at my eye makeup, which Tricia had gone to town on. It was so sparkly and amazing! She'd used rose gold with darker eye shadows. It was just the right colour for my eyes and hair colour. I may have commented that I looked a bit like a drag queen ๐Ÿ˜ณ but what I meant was that it was more makeup than I was used to! Lol. Overall she did an amazing job. The hair was so much better than the trial. It was just how I imagined my hair to look and the makeup was just right. It was so beautiful. I felt amazing already and didn't even have my dress on yet!

imageimageimage

(I look so serious for a wedding day!)

Wow! Your hair and makeup is gorgeous! 

• Kelly224Kelly224 Posts: 962 New bride

Ooh this is amazing!! You look incredible, cannot wait to read more!! 

David actually had the cheek to say the other day that I'll probably never look as pretty as I did on the wedding day because I put in so much effort and I'm unlikely to ever do that again!! Grounds for divorce?? ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Dora3Dora3 Posts: 1,218

Loving your report!! Your hair and make up is stunning xxx

12pm - 2.30pm

All hair and makeup was done by 11.30am and Kelly and Gemma had also changed into their bridesmaids dresses. They looked lovely. I couldn't have made a better choice with my bridesmaids and these girls without a doubt will always be in my life. ๐Ÿ˜Š Wish I'd got a photo of them when they stood there grinning as it made me smile. They also loved their presents, which I gave them during the morning. They all wore their bracelets on the day too, which I hadn't expected them to do. My sister got an extra present in her box for all the freebies she was providing on the day. I took her for brunch at a restaurant in The Shard at Easter (lots of cocktails and champagne were consumed that day!).

My mum and sister left to take the cake to the venue so I couldn't see it. The rest of us got our stuff together and I drove us to the venue. The first time I started to feel nervous was when I walked out of the hotel and whilst I was driving. My stomach felt a bit funny and the minute I saw the venue I felt a bit sick. It was like a sudden realisation that I was actually getting married. Within a couple of hours!!

Once we got there I hung my dress up and had a quick look at the decorations around the venue to make sure everything was put where I wanted it. Dodford are very good at making sure you don't need to set anything up or worry about anything on the day as they do it all for you. 

The nerves had disappeared pretty quickly once I got inside the venue. The ceremony room was just how I imagined it with the hanging hearts on the chairs and petals scattered down the aisle. It was good to see that the aisle wasn't too long and I think Gemma and Kelly were relieved too. No one wants to be tripping up down the aisle!

We went over to the bar area in the other barn and things had been set up a little differently to how I had planned but it still looked good. They were later switched to the right places anyway. I wasn't allowed to go into the reception area completely as the cake was hiding in the corner and I wasn't allowed to see this just yet. But my brothers had set up the Pom poms just right despite texting my mum at 11.30am to say they needed more fish wire and the Pom poms were all jumbled up. Turns out there was nothing wrong with them but my brothers aren't very artistic so to them it was a jumble of brown string and coloured paper. The tables looked great and the colours worked so well together. There were also fairy lights hung round the beams, which really did look lovely in the evening when they were turned on.

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

Nikki you stunner! I'm loving your report so far.

• Sounds like a fab day so far! I don't know how you managed to stay so calm, I teared up when I saw the photo of your Letters to the Bride gift!!โค๏ธ

Aww Nikki, it all sounds perfect. Off to balllet now with the girls, can't wait to get home to read more x 

Aww thank you! I guess if you can't look good on your wedding day, when can you? I'm posting lots of photos of the 'details' as the photographer calls it. Enjoy!

Dodford Manor, Northamptonshire

We loved this venue. It was the only one we looked at and it caught our hearts straight away. It truly is such a beautiful venue.

Ceremony room

Reception room

The step ladder had a bunch of flowers on top too but the photographer got the photo before they were put there!

This, ladies, shows you DIY does actually turn out quite well! All these details you see here, I made them with some help from others. I'm bloody proud of my achievements too!

• elsyelsy Posts: 533

Nikki, it all looks amazing. Your hard work definitely paid off! You look beautiful too. 

J made a similar comment the other day about me probably never looking as pretty again. Bloody cheek of them! Haha.