Brown Dino Wedding - a Manchester heatwave wedding with a dinosaur!

Hello! I know some of you have followed my wedding planning thread, and after suffering the worst post-wedding blues and coming out the other side unscathed, I am finally getting round to writing my report! Enjoy...

• MichBee2BMichBee2B Posts: 726

The Day Before

The day before the wedding was pretty chilled - or at least it was once we'd dropped everything off at the venue. Our living room looked a total tip, and stayed that way til we were back from our minimoon! 

We took all our reception prosecco, wine, table decs, table plan, etc. to our reception venue - The Lowry at Salford Quays, where we got to take everything on a trolley (twice) through the stage door and all round backstage to get in to the main part of the building and our allocated store room near the auditorium. I'm a total theatre geek, so I loved this bit! 

That done, we waited til it was time for Andy to be able to check in to the hotel for the night before, and took his suit and all the gifts for the grooms gang and so on over and checked in. Then I took my car home, followed by my Dad, and picked up the ridiculous amount of stuff I'd got to take with me to the hotel I'd booked.

I was booked into the Midland Hotel in Manchester in a Junior Suite and it was gorgeous - you'll get a taste of that from my getting ready photos later - and they'd left me a little congratulations treat of two mini bakewell tarts with salted caramel cream. They were delicious!!! The concierge helped with my dress, the bridesmaid dresses, my overnight bag, veil, shoes, gift bags for the bridesmaids and flowergirls, and I spent about 20 minutes removing all the plastic from the dresses!!!  

I then bobbed to get my nails done, just down Oxford Road, and bumped into a friend who was just leaving her office. By this point, excitement was well and truly kicking in, and we had a giddy thirty seconds jigging about on the pavement! Her colleague she was leaving with was very confused, and amused when she said (all giddy!) "she's getting MARRIED tomorrow!!!" So funny! Anyway, we had a hug, both said how much we were looking forward to the next day and off I continued!

I got to my nail place, and had a lovely chat with the girl who's been doing them for me. And then - the drama! I had been getting gel polish for about 5 weeks before as I knew it would take me this long to grow them to a decent length, and it coincided with my cousins wedding. I also knew there was a risk my nails would be too weak to cope, and lo and behold one of the nails broke while the old polish was being removed. We very nearly lost two more, but she saved them (just! they broke before I had the wedding polish removed). She's a miracle worker! I chose a french manicure with a lovely glitter topcoat which you can see here a week after the wedding (spoiler alert - wedding ring hand!)

Day before continued...

Nails done, I set off for M&S to pick up the nibbles I'd ordered for us girls to eat getting ready. I made sure I ordered too much food, as I'd learned the hard way what happens when I don't eat enough on an important busy day (fainted about 4 times on my graduation!). M&S hadn't emailed me to say the stuff was ready to collect but I went anyway and it was fine - all in and ready as expected from the confirmation email. A small amount of stress but I coped!

I also popped to Selfridges as one of my Bridesmaids decided she would try foundation after all, and could I pick her up a Mac one. She doesn't do makeup usually but we'd been toying with BB creams and light foundations and having read a load of reviews she figured she'd give this light one a go. I'd offered to pick up anything the girls needed as I knew I was picking up the snacks so not a problem. 

Then I hopped in a taxi back to the hotel with our sandwiches and macarons, and got the concierge to pop them in a fridge for me overnight, which they were happy to do. (Can you tell I don't stay in hotels often lol!)

My bridesmaid, Shauna, came over to stay with me, and then Mum and Dad arrived to take us for dinner. I took full advantage of staying at the Midland, and had booked to have dinner at Mr Cooper's House and Garden, which is one of the restaurant's at the Midland, and somewhere I'd been wanting to go for ages. It was totally worth the wait - the food was out of this world, and we weren't surprised to see they've actually been awarded Manchester's best restaurant already this year.

I also took this opportunity to give Mum and Dad their gifts from me, as I knew it would be busy and emotional the next day, and Dad had stuff he needed to use on the day too. 

I gave my mum a gorgeous pandora necklace, and some PJs to wear the next day with me and the girls, and my dad had his cufflinks, braces, socks, and a moneyclip saying "For the money left over from my daughter's wedding". They were dead chuffed, and mum got v emotional about the necklace bless her. 

And then. Mum gave me my gift from Andy. Oh My Goodness. So, she was supposed to give it to me in the morning, but it turned out to be a very good job she got confused and gave it to me the night before, because he gave me his Gran's engagement ring from his Grandad with the most beautiful letter (which I'm not sharing!). Those of you who followed my planning thread will know that sadly we lost Mollie just before Christmas, and she was very close to both of us, but to have her ring like that, just hit me so hard. I was crying so hard with noisy sobbing, that Shauna had to tell people it was a happy thing!!! We were getting some very odd looks! It was literally the last thing I expected and the most emotional I think I've ever been. Very red and puffy after all that, so definitely much better to get the gift the night before.

• MrsWoolgroveMrsWoolgrove Posts: 888

Ahhhhhhhh I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

The engagement ring thing is so sweet, such a lovely thing to do.

Wedding morning...

After a pretty good night's sleep (at least once we'd sorted the air conditioning out), Shauna and I woke up and went for an amazing breakfast in the restaurant. Being a posh hotel, their buffet was absolutely lovely, with granola and porridge and all sorts of lovely juices and pastries etc.

You could choose either their full English hot buffet included in the price, or have one of their a la carte extra options for an extra £6. I'm a HUGE poached egg and hollandaise fan, so after seeing eggs royale on the extra menu, I went for that and it was GORGEOUS. 

After that, we went back upstairs and waited for my hairdresser to arrive. While I was having my hair done, Mum arrived and got into her Mother of the Bride t-shirt, and we had a cup of tea. 

By the time my hair was done the other girls arrived, and we spent some time handing out gifts and getting ourselves sorted. We had our lovely lunch, and I cracked open the rest of my gift from Andy - a bottle of Perrier Jouet champagne! Years ago, when we first started dating, we used to go into Birmingham on little day trips from his house at weekends, and ALWAYS ended up in Selfridges lusting after the expensive alcohol. I'd always said I would have a bottle of Perrier Jouet on my wedding day, ideally in the set with the matching flutes. So, being the sweetie that he is, that's what I had! Although being a total clutz I decided not to risk using the flutes so they are still in the box!

FutureMrsWoolgrove wrote (see post):

Ahhhhhhhh I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha! Ah, I'm so glad you're still excited about my little wedding! I've been really excited to share it all with you, but haven't felt ready til now. That and we were still sorting the photos.

MrsJ2017 wrote (see post):

The engagement ring thing is so sweet, such a lovely thing to do.

It was beyond sweet and it almost finished me off lol! He knows how to get me that one! 

• EpiphanyEpiphany Posts: 718

Excited to read your report, MichBee!

The engagement ring idea is beautiful.  Like you say, lucky it was the night before!

• MrsBAMFMrsBAMF Posts: 217 New bride

I'm loving this already! Can't wait to read more!

xXx

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

Yay! Report time x 

The engagement ring is a beautiful sentimental gift. I do remember you mentioning his Gran in your planning thread. 

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

So excited for this Mich

• lubeslubes Posts: 1,555

Woohoo! What a treat to see this 😊 x

• ruthie1979ruthie1979 Posts: 794

I've been so excited to read your report. We live and work in Manchester so know the Lowry and Midland hotel well. What a lovely treat to stay there. 

The engagement ring gift is such a lovely thing to do and I would have been balling too!!
    Can't wait to read more and CONGRATULATIONS xxx

Ah thank you everyone!!! It honestly means so much that you're all enjoying it as much as I did on the day. We've just started thinking about our photo album today and I can tell that's going to take ages, and probably get really annoying, so I'm really pleased you're all interested to see the details!

Anyway...

Hanging out, getting ready, doing make up.

At 1pm, I started getting ready properly, which was doing makeup, entertaining my neice, and having more fun. Here's a selection of pictures which tell the story for themselves:

Old, new, borrowed, blue, and a sixpence in my shoe!

I know I mentioned all of these on my thread, and probably posted photos of them then, but I wanted a few proper pictures of these. So we have, in a bit of a squiffy order:

Old - my Granny's pearls.

Blue - an aquamarine coloured ring from Pandora (looked much more blue next to my engagement ring on my right hand); New - pearl drop earrings, also from Pandora (I'm a fan, can you tell???)

Borrowed - my friend Ali's gorgeous elbow length veil. I wanted this length from the beginning, and she offered to lend it to me before I'd even said that, so it worked perfectly. It had little sparkles over it randomly, and some small drop crystals round the edge. I gave it back to her this morning and she said she LOVED seeing it as I walked down the aisle because obviously you can't see it when you wear it yourself.

And a sixpence for my shoe - an original 1950s sixpence which my mum and dad gave me from dad's coin collection (which I'm assuming was his from childhood!). Supposed to bring luck. Hmph to that...

My beautiful shoes!!! These were, as predicted, v uncomfortable to wear. I popped the sixpence in the point of the left shoe. I had some special sticky things to hold the shoe to my heel and these worked perfectly in practice. However, this was the hottest day of the year, and a quarter of my way down the aisle, my left shoe decided to start coming off!!! Yes, that's right, the one with the so called "lucky" sixpence in! I managed to keep it on for the ceremony and photos, then readjusted in the car on the way to the reception. Just as I think I've won at Louboutin wearing, I had to walk across a rubber doormat at the Lowry. Which my LEFT shoe decided to get stuck in!!! Yep, the "LUCKY" sixpence strikes again! Cue Andy trying to feel it under my dress to free me, whilst casually saying "I think you'll lose the heel tip"- my response is not suitable for a public forum such as this, but I just stepped out of the shoe and trailed my dress away from it and he was able to save it! I managed to keep the shoes on until during dinner when I switched to flip flops.

THE DRESS

Once we were all sorted with hair and makeup, it was time to get me into my dress. The girls did pretty well at getting me laced in, and I didn't notice til the photos were back that they did get it a little mixed up in terms of over and under which side, but as you will see, it made very little difference when I was all trussed up in it. My instruction was - don't worry about me sitting down, make me look good first!!!

My dress is the classic Mori Lee 5108, with a now discontinued Mori Lee bolero over the top with a Mori Lee belt attached the the bottom so it looked like an almost totally unique illusion neck dress. Here's a photo of it one of the guests tookso you can see the total effect:

What stunning shoes! Who cares about pain when they are that gorgeous.

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,845 New bride

Ahhhhh I just saw this and I'm so excited for this report! I can't wait to see all the pics- more please!!

Your rant about the sixpence made me laugh- I had one too but I just flung it in my shoe rather than taping it down (it was only one I got free at a wedding fair). I think it stayed in during the ceremony but it definitely went awol at some point! And both my shoe clips did too, so not so lucky!

Feeling you on the whole 'got married on the hottest day of the year' thing lol...

• SpacepuffinSpacepuffin Posts: 664

Hahahaha! Love the 'lucky' sixpence palaver! You look beautiful and your flowers are perfect. X

Those Pandora earrings have been haunting me for months! I remember you posting the photos ages ago and I've been lusting after them ever since! Your dress is stunning. 

The sixpence fiasco has made me giggle. 

Hails wrote (see post):

What stunning shoes! Who cares about pain when they are that gorgeous.

Well exactly Hails! I was all for keeping them on til after the first dance, but my mum, Andy and Shauna all had to be quite stern with me to make myself more comfortable! They're definitely shoes for eating dinner in lol! 

Sammykate wrote (see post):

Ahhhhh I just saw this and I'm so excited for this report! I can't wait to see all the pics- more please!!

Your rant about the sixpence made me laugh- I had one too but I just flung it in my shoe rather than taping it down (it was only one I got free at a wedding fair). I think it stayed in during the ceremony but it definitely went awol at some point! And both my shoe clips did too, so not so lucky!

Feeling you on the whole 'got married on the hottest day of the year' thing lol...

I had mine loose in the shoe as well, as being pointy meant I couldn't even feel it, and do you know through all the bloody hassle it stayed put!!!

yes the weather was not really my friend til much later in the evening!

Spacepuffin wrote (see post):

Hahahaha! Love the 'lucky' sixpence palaver! You look beautiful and your flowers are perfect. X

Thank you! I loved my flowers so much, but we forgot to get any proper pictures of them so they are only really visible in the pictures like this. 

FutureMrsThomas wrote (see post):

Those Pandora earrings have been haunting me for months! I remember you posting the photos ages ago and I've been lusting after them ever since! Your dress is stunning. 

The sixpence fiasco has made me giggle. 

They are so pretty those earrings! Trouble is because they're so nice I've not worn them since, whereas I've been wearing my blue ring a lot. That bloomin sixpence had a lot to answer for!

I even went searching for those earrings in the local Pandora store but was to mean to spend the money on myself. Lol. But nothing has come close to those earrings and I've looked everywhere!

Just realised a friend got married in your dress last year but it looks completely different on you with the belt and jacket! 

FutureMrsThomas wrote (see post):

I even went searching for those earrings in the local Pandora store but was to mean to spend the money on myself. Lol. But nothing has come close to those earrings and I've looked everywhere!

Yep, they're perfection. Do it!!! You know you're going to... 

Hails wrote (see post):

Just realised a friend got married in your dress last year but it looks completely different on you with the belt and jacket! 

Yes a friend of mine got married in the same dress TWO WEEKS after I'd ordered it, but you can't tell it's the same. It's such good value as well because the dress itself is only £750 (I know that's a lot but for a well known designer is pretty cheap), so you can get away with spending more on your accessories to personalise it.

• MoggleMoggle Posts: 556 New bride

Eeeee loving reading this so far Mich! You look so beautiful in your dress  Cant wait to read more!