Our Small Cornwall Wedding - May 2017 *REPORT*

I have FINALLY got my hands on my pictures so can start my report. Hope you enjoy reading. 

Bride - Steph

Groom - Adam

Date - 16/05/2017

Ceremony - The Alverton Manor, Truro, Cornwall

Tiny bit of background info on us. We have been together for 8yrs, engaged for 6yrs. I'm from Essex and Adams from Hertfordshire. We decided to buy our house before planning the wedding and now live in Hertfordshire with our two fur baby cats, Dora & Arthur

• Dora3Dora3 Posts: 1,218

Thursday 11th May

We had both booked a few days off before we needed to travel down to Cornwall. These days were filled with hair appointments, last round of sun beds and checking off our lists. We got two plastic boxes for wedding bits, a his and hers box. I lost count of the amount of times I packed and unpacked them due to me stressing about forgetting something. I kept telling myself that if I didn't put them in to the car that I could check them again and maybe realise what I've missed. Adam, on the other hand, was getting fed up of watching me pack and then in pack them that he confiscated the boxes from me and put them in the car. 

At 6pm it was time to take our lovely kitties to the cattery. I'm not ashamed to say that they are like my children and I was dreading leaving them. We put them in their new home, a cosy pen together, and walked away to Arthur's howling cries... I did cry when we got in the car lol. 

Once back home we packed the last of our stuff in to the car ready for an early morning road trip. 

Early night in preparation for the 5am alarm...  I am NOT a morning person

Friday 12th May

We're woken up to a series of screaming alarms at 5am... Surprisingly as soon as I hear them I'm up out of bed, very unusual for me lol. Quick wash and dress and in the car for 5.30 ready to go. We always leave super early as we miss the traffic and have a pretty clear run. So off we go... the realisation that I will be a married lady when I return home suddenly hits me... I say goodbye to Miss C as we drive away. 

We had a pretty straight forward journey. We love Cornwall and go to Porthleven at least once a year so it really helps that we recognise where we are with different landmarks or views. 

We did a pretty straight run with minimal toilet stops until we got to Devon. We always stop at a lovely farm shop in Lifton for breakfast, then it's only a small journey to Porthleven. As always, adam had a huge appetite and ordered the farmers big breakfast 

Unfortunately for me, my appetite had vanished! My appetite for the past two weeks was lacking and I was trying hard to force myself to eat. I settled for scrambled eggs and beans... no bread lol.   

After a lovely breakfast it was back in the car and we headed to Falmouth. We needed to be there for 1pm as I had my make up trial. I was really nervous about having it so close to the wedding but had no choice due to the distance. I loved her website and pictures, but I was really nervous. What if I didn't like her 

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

Just wanted to let you know that Im ignoring my children and refreshing this page 😁

• Tanya128Tanya128 Posts: 1,993

Oh Dora hopefully you can write lots more tonight but I'm going to admit it's going to be tough as I also gave game of thrones to catch up on tonight too! Lol 

MrsJ2017 wrote (see post):

Just wanted to let you know that Im ignoring my children and refreshing this page 😁

😂 love this. There's a lot of things that happened on the lead up to the wedding that I want to include. Hope people don't get too bored 😂

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

So happy you're doing a report Dora!

Tanya128 wrote (see post):

Oh Dora hopefully you can write lots more tonight but I'm going to admit it's going to be tough as I also gave game of thrones to catch up on tonight too! Lol 

Haha, I'm planning on doing quite a few posts tonight. It will still be here ready for you tomorrow if you don't manage to keep up lol 

Hails wrote (see post):

So happy you're doing a report Dora!

Thank you hails, hope people don't get bored

We arrived in Falmouth with plenty of time to spare. We had a walk around for a bit and decided to head to Moss Bros to check the suits were there. Adam was picking them up on Sunday with the best man. We went in and they confirmed everything was ready to go. Perfect. 

Then at 12.50 I left adam to it and headed to my make up appointment. When I arrived I was td that Sally (MUA) was running late as she had been at a wedding that morning. Not a problem, I just sat and chilled for 20mins until she arrived. 

Sally turned up and was bubbly and very friendly, I started to relax. We discussed what I wanted and I informed her that I wanted coverage but not to be caked in make up. We decided we would make my eyes stand out, probably due to my lack of lips lol. I LOVED the end result, although pulling a stupid face here 🙈

Dora3 wrote (see post):

Haha, I'm planning on doing quite a few posts tonight. It will still be here ready for you tomorrow if you don't manage to keep up lol 

Oh I'll just stay up late, I'm not at work tomorrow!! But just as long as you realise GOT comes first!!

After the trial we finally set off for Porthleven. In the car I had a phone call from my dad. He was tasked with collecting my wedding dress from the shop. He informs me that he collected it on his motor bike... que freak out! i had an image of my poor dress being crammed in to a backpack, or strapped to his back! Dads obviously in stitches as this was a lie! Bloody man! Then I asked him if he double checked it was the right dress... of course he didn't! He said that even though he saw a picture of it, almost a year ago, he wouldn't know what dress he was supposed to get. I was freaking out. As soon as I got off the phone to my dad I phoned mum instructing her to check the dress as soon as she got home and let me know ASAP! Obviously, it was the right dress.

We arrived but couldn't get in to our accommodation until 4pm so we went to the pub, obviously lol. After a few drinks and some food we were able to get in to our cottage. It was lovely to have a quiet night in together before the chaos of the next few days began. Our guests would start arriving the next day, including our families. 

Me enjoying the best cider ever! Rattlers!!!

Saturday 13th May! 

Today was all about family and friends arriving. But first, I had a nail and brow appointment. 

I got to the salon with no idea what I wanted done with my nails! So we did my brows first then on to nails. I showed the technician my dress and the bms dresses. We went for pale pink shellac with sparkley glitter and gems. Sounds awful hey lol. But i actually thought it was going to be different to how they turned out. Still, who's going to notice you nails lol. 

• MrsW-22MrsW-22 Posts: 354 New bride

I'm very excited for this report... I loved your planning thread! 😍

I then got a call from my mum to say they were almost at their cottage. They booked a huge place that sleeps 8, so there's enough room for everyone to gather at theirs. So we made our way to where they were staying, arriving just as they pulled in! We ran to greet them and all of a sudden hear screaming! As we turn, we see two of our friends running down the road waving lol. Charlotte and Lizzie had arrived and recognised my parents car and chased it down the road! I was so excited to see them and it now started to feel real. 

We decided to go for a walk on the beach in our little group with my mums 3 dogs. We had a lovely time with lots of laughter. 

From then on in, my phone didn't stop. We had messaged from friends and family informing us of their arrival. We told everyone we were going to be in the pub that night if they wanted to join us. 

Before the pub though we went to see Adams parents and grandparents. Now me and his grandad don't have a great relationship, aka he hates me! It would not of surprised me if he hadn't of come up with some sort of excuse not to come. But he was there! We hired mobility scooters for my nan and him as they both struggle on their feet. So off me and adam head, messing about on one of the scooters lol. Adam actually had a video of me zooming down the hill in my bright pink rain cost as it was peeing it down. So much fun lol. 

We got to his parents and i was surprised to find grandad in a good mood. Very chatty and being nice for once! (He normally spends his time insulting me and putting me down) So I was very happy. 

We stayed for a while and had chips but then our phones started going crazy again. Adam was getting messages from our friend Bruce, who was staying with us that night and I was getting messages from my mum asking where we were as they were in the pub. 

In order to escape to the pub, I invited Adams family to join us and get things moving. They accepted and after a quick change of clothes we were ready to leave. Adam then got a call from Bruce so went to meet him and guide him to our cottage, while I headed for the pub with my FILs

Fiona98 wrote (see post):

I'm very excited for this report... I loved your planning thread! 😍

Thank you. Just gonna eat dinner then will do some more lol x

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

How dare you eat dinner! Hurry back

• Helen225Helen225 Posts: 861 New bride

This. 😂

Helen225 wrote (see post):

This. 😂

Ok ladies I'm back!!!! 😂😂😂

should probably add, I'm typing this on my phone and the typos are awful. Trying to read back and correct where possible. Basically, it's the site, not me! 😂🙈

• ruthie1979ruthie1979 Posts: 794

yayyy loving your report so far! Your make up looks gorgeous xxx

• Helen225Helen225 Posts: 861 New bride
    Dora3 wrote (see post):

This. 😂

should probably add, I'm typing this on my phone and the typos are awful. Trying to read back and correct where possible. Basically, it's the site, not me! 😂🙈

I know that feeling. Sooooo many times I want to comment but just cannot be bothered to deal with the stupid text on this site. I know my typing is bad on the phone but not THIS bad!

As we neared our favourite pub I received a photo from my mum. She's sat there with Charlotte and Lizzie and telling me to "HURRY UP!!!". The first thing that pops in my head is, "crap, my friends are stuck with my parents!". I picked up the pace slightly and headed for the entrance. I knew exactly where they were sitting and so knew where to go.

As I walked in I did a quick scan of the table saying hello, mainly looking out for poor Charlotte and Lizzie! Then I heard it.... "hello Steph!". Que a quick conversation in my head, "I know that voice!", "No, it can't be!", "Yes it really is!", "but he's in South Africa!!!".... followed by me clapping eyes on him... and bursting in to tears!!!!!! 

Adams best friend Stewie is from Zimbabwe. They used to work together and from day one he always made me feel welcome. We have quite a close relationship with him and I always get good hugs from him. He moved back to Zim 5yrs ago due to trouble in the area his parents live. He wanted to be nearer them in case anything happened. He is also Bruce's brother. Now we begged Stew to come back for the wedding! We pleaded and cried and begged our butts off! But he kept saying he couldn't make it. Adam was gutted as he wanted him to be his best man. We eventually gave up any hope of him coming... yet now he's sat in front of me... and I just stood there crying my eyes out! 

Then there was the realisation that Adams going to freak out when he walks in! We got in to position, with me firmly stuck to stews side just hugging him. 

Then he walked in... spots him... speechless! He couldn't get a single word out... then grabs him and cried!!! This really was the BEST surprise ever!!! 

ruthie1979 wrote (see post):

yayyy loving your report so far! Your make up looks gorgeous xxx

Thank you! It's amazing what professionals can do lol 

Dora3 wrote (see post):

This. 😂

I know that feeling. Sooooo many times I want to comment but just cannot be bothered to deal with the stupid text on this site. I know my typing is bad on the phone but not THIS bad!

Tell me about it! Bloody annoying! The amount of times I've typed 'I'm' and it comes out 'mum' 😩

Dora3 wrote (see post):
    Dora3 wrote (see post):

This. 😂

Tell me about it! Bloody annoying! The amount of times I've typed 'I'm' and it comes out 'mum' 😩

have you tried typing love? I get variations between IOU, live and my favourite la veg!!

So it turns out that Stewie only decided to come to the wedding in December last year. Apparently the conversation went,

Stew - "Bruce, what do you think about me coming to Steph and Adams wedding?"

Bruce - "yes, they will love that!!"

Stew - "cool, let's keep it secret!" 

Cue a month before the wedding and Bruce realised that Stew couldn't just turn up unannounced... what would he eat?! So bruce contacted my sister on Facebook to get my mums number! My mum was in on the whole thing and had to contact my wedding coordinator at the venue to let her know, but make sure we didn't know. My coordinator even sent me false final details and sent the real ones to my mum!!! 

We just couldn't believe he was there. Imagine seeing someone you used to see weekly, for the first time in 5yrs!!! We were both stuck to him and we're so pleased that the brothers were staying with us that night! I wasn't ready to let go of him yet! 

We headed home and stayed up late chatting and drinking! This picture makes me so happy 

The boys

Dora3 wrote (see post):
    Dora3 wrote (see post):

This. 😂

have you tried typing love? I get variations between IOU, live and my favourite la veg!!

La veg!!!! 😂😂😂😂

It was finally bed time, aka Stew was so drunk he could hardly talk lol. The boys went up and me and Adam just stared at each other, still in shock. 

We headed upstairs and of course found Stewie in our bed lol. After finally encouraging him to get in his own bed I gave him one last hug and a kiss good night, like you would a child might I add lol. 

We got in to bed and whispered to each other, "can you believe that!!!" Adam replied, "I'll believe it when I see him in the morning". And off we went to sleep. 

We woke up in the morning and rushed down to find this...

Yes!!! They were really here. 

Also, forgot to mention the dog. That's little Jd. Noooo it doesn't stand for Jack Daniels, it stands for Just Dog. Jd was named by a young disabled little boy and knew his name when my parents got him 9yrs ago. We always steal him for holidays and he stayed with us while we were in Cornwall. Love that little puppy 

Sunday 14th May. 

The day started with us heading to Falmouth to meet the best man to collect the suits. They had arrived late on Saturday and with a baby decided on a quiet night in. We decided to keep stews arrival a surprise as a few guests knew him, best man being one. We arrived in Falmouth and made our way to Moss Bros. we decided that adam and I would walk ahead, followed by Bruce, then Stew come shortly after. 

We clocked them and set the plan in to action. We were chatting about their journey down when all of a sudden, best man Chris, spotted him! Once again big hugs all round and Chris even shed a few tears. Was so nice to see other people's reactions to the surprise. 

Once we got over the surprise and greetings we headed inside Moss Bros. now here's where something spooky happened. My new surname is quite a common one, but spelt differently. So I shall now spend my remaining days on this earth correcting people. But the man in the shop had exactly the same name as adam, spelt exactly the same way!!! How strange lol. 

The boys are getting changed and I'm catching up with the best mans partner and little girl. Their daughter is 18 months old and so bloody cute! They finally emerged in their suits, and there's a problem! The ties and pocket squares are wrong. They are the correct colour but wrong pattern... Cue freak out from me. Luckily Jenny, best mans partner, used to be a wedding planner and completely took over. The shop manager was really defensive, explaining it's the other shops fault, fine but we need to sort this! We were supposed to get a free Ted Baker ties with the suits and that's what we ordered. But instead had a Moss Bros tie. To be honest, it wasn't a massive problem, I actually quite liked the ties lol. 

After realising the ties were fine and that there was no point in stressing out, we left with the suits

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

Loving the report!!! 

Just realised I missed something from the Saturday! Was too excited about the Stewie post lol. 

Saturday lunch time we also had a meeting planned with our evening venue in Porthleven. Now I won't lie, on the lead up to the wedding they were awkward. But all our communication happened through email so it's hard to get the context. We met with my parents and headed to the evening venue. They were asking so many questions and I got so overwhelmed. Before I knew it I was getting tearful. The owner was amazing with me and plonked a large glass of wine infornt of me. She sat there hugging me telling me to calm down... easier said then done love lol. We realised we left our first dance music at home and I cried so much! We really thought about our first dance song and now I'd screwed it up. But panic over, we had a plan! The BMs hadn't arrived yet so I tasked them with saving the day. 

I left the meeting feeling like a complete cow. I moaned so much about their communications, yet the owner couldn't of been lovelier. I think bridezilla was raising her head here 🙈