Wedding photos have gone AWOL

Hi, me and my husband got married in July having chose a photographer from the Cumbria area. We paid £650 and agreed a contract for digital access to photographs being ready in between 6 and 8 weeks. To date we've received two photos and one text message saying she's been il, hence the delay.

weve messaged and emailed and she has gone silent. It's now 16 weeks since the wedding and I'm both extremely angry and upset at both her lack of professionalism and radio silence. She has managed to update her website and I understand she is taking new bookings.

We we are considering taking her to small claims court but want to give her the benefit of the doubt; maybe she took on too much work etc and is very behind. The lack of communication is tainting my memories of the day; I wish I had gone elsewhere. 

Anyone got got any experience of this or help would be appreciated, thanks 

• MrsJamesMrsJames Posts: 405 New bride

There's a group on facebook that may be able to offer some help and advice:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/WeddingNasties2/

Have you tried phoning the photographer at all? or has it all been email and text messages? 

Also do you have an address for the woman, as if you do have to take it to small claims court you will need an address for her. 

• Hi, thanks for that. I've just requested to join the group.

ive not called her yet but will do so. Ive spoken to someone else who is having the same issue and she advised me that she is not answering her phone and doesn't return calls.

yes, I have her address, thankfully! 

• MrsJamesMrsJames Posts: 405 New bride

Might be worth getting a solicitor to draw up a letter with a time scale of when you want the photos by, stating that if you do not receive them by a certain date you will start court proceedings. Send it recorded delivery. Then if it does go to court you have proof you have tried to contact her. 

One of the admins on the group is a photographer herself so she will definitely be able to advise you. 

Fingers crossed she's just taken on too much and you get your photos.

• Thanks so much for your help, that's a good idea 😊

• lauren318lauren318 Posts: 482

this is my worse nightmare and i am too worried about this. I hope you get things sorted please do keep us updated x

• Thanks Lauren, will do x
  • SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,781 New bride

I live in Cumbria so this had me panicked for a moment (thankfully our photographer is male, so not the same one). The other ladies have given great advice. I hope you get it sorted! 

• Hopefully your photographer is more professional than mine, and thank you x

• SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,781 New bride

Is there any place you can leave a review of this photographer to let other brides and grooms know what they could be letting themselves in for? :(

• hi, I would like to get the photos back first before leaving any reviews x

• Mine was from that area and our day was early August. We are still waiting except I have messaged a few times and got a small batch through.

chances are they’re just very busy Given the time of year it was.

id be interested to know if it’s the same photographer 😂

• BekhaGBekhaG Posts: 584 New bride

You need to keep a time line of all contact so far and if any was by email save copies of them. Note which numbers you called her and when. Send her a letter, try to call on the number on her website and email with a delivery and read receipt. Then with this pack of evidence and your original contract with her warn her of legal proceedings per above and then go through with them. My best mate was fobbed of for 2 years by her dreadful photographer before she finally got her photos. She should have gone legal after a few months and you should too, don't leave this dragging on. They've broken a contract and ceased communicating- they've left you no option. Good luck!

• thanks Becky, I agree, it's getting ridiculous now :-(

• MrsBeehanMrsBeehan Posts: 378 New bride

Hey, just found this thread. So sorry to hear about this :( Have you had any luck?