The Report - Our September Wedding by the Loch

• MoggleMoggle Posts: 556 New bride

After the speeches, I had to make a quick run upstairs with my Mum to take my lace jacket off as it was pretty warm in the function suite and I could feel the lace rubbing against my skin and making me uncomfortable. And then it was time for our meal! 

We decided on a BBQ menu served family-style at the table, which was great because it meant guests could take as little or as much as they wanted. Everyone absolutely raved about the food afterwards! For our menu we opted for:

Chicken breast with italian spices
    Cuban style pork belly with garlic, cumin and lime & orange juice (my favourite!)
    Texas barbeque beef brisket with a dark ale sauce

Vegetarians got a plate to themselves with stuffed bbq'ed peppers, grilled portobello mushroom with a chickpeas, sweetcorn and spices burger, grilled vegetables and pineapple skewer and tofu, peper, courgette and onion skewer with a Sriacha sauce

We also had a selection of salads at the tables too - roasted potatoes salad with thyme, tangy coleslaw, and carrot, grilled halloumi and harissa salad

Unfortunately during the meal my little brother started to feel not well and went to his bed - handy that we were all staying in the venue so it meant he could go lie down and my mum and stepdad could check on him throughout the night. Poor wee soul.

While the meal was getting cleared up and guests were heading through to the dining room for tea, coffee and chocolate caterpillar cake, we headed out for our final couples pics with Ewa. It had started to spit a bit at this point, but Alison came to the rescue with a lovely white bridal brolly for me. Winner!

We headed back to the little stone beach for our pictures and to get to the perfect spot Ewa was aiming for, Frazer had to throw me over his shoulder to get me over a stream!

Back at the house, the function suite was getting turned around for the evening reception with tables and chairs being taken out and the band setting up. I ran upstairs with my mum again, this time to get my dress bustled and to put on my sparkly belt. It was great, felt like I was wearing a totally different dress than the one from the morning! Once I was sorted, I headed back downstairs to greet our evening guests who had started to arrive.

Ben Lomond finally starting to make an appearance from behind the clouds.

Outside the trees were all lit up and there was a firepit set up out in front of the house. This was great as it meant guests weren't constricted to stay in the house the whole time and could wander about in the grounds too if they wanted (and lots of them did as the night went on).

Once the evening guests had all arrived and while the band were setting up, it was time for me to throw my bouquet. I'm not going to lie, my aim is absolutely atrocious... all of the ladies were lined up for their bid to catch it, and I threw it lopsidedly and nearly missed the whole lot of them. My sister was on the very end of the line, not planning to catch it, and saw that it was going to fall on the ground so reached out for it. You can see the total shock and 'Noooooo...' on her face haha! Cue much laughing and cheering from everyone while my sister and her poor boyfriend looked totally embarrassed.

With the band now ready, everyone was called in for our first dance as Mr & Mrs MacLeod. We didn't have the band play our first dance song as it's not very well known and was a specific version we wanted so we just used an iphone on the speakers. Our song was 'Walking on the Waves' by Skippinish, worth a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNn2UdI-kvA. It's a pretty upbeat song, so we had to practice (roughly) in the days leading up to the wedding and settled on a moderately fast sway on the verses and the gay gordons for the chorus, which was extra fun and meant Frazer got to spin me about! Our bridal party and their partners and parents joined us after the first couple of verses.

We spent the rest of the night dancing away or wandering between the rooms and outside catching up with our guests, it was wonderful. Frazer was pretty drunk (I switched to water after a while) and the band (Transit Jukebox, if anyone in the Central Belt are after a wedding band they were amazing and kept the dancefloor busy all night!) ended with '500 Miles' by the Proclaimers and me trying to negotiate some dancemoves from drunken Frazer (did not go well...) in the middle of a circle of all our guests on the dancefloor. 

After the band finished we put on some GBX-style dance tunes and Frazer caught second wind and was up dancing until 1am. I spent that last hour in the sitting room and conservatory chatting with our families and saying goodbye to our guests as they started to leave. We had booked a bus for 12:30am which took a lot of our guests who weren't staying home, and Frazer's dad had put on a taxi to shuttle the others to their hotels nearby. 

Once everyone was away, my parents decided to stay up chatting and drinking while I managed to persuade Frazer to come back to the bridal suite with me. We were both so shattered that we fell asleep pretty much straight away as soon as we got back to the room and got me out of my dress.

The next morning we woke up surprisingly early and just sat in the super comfy bed chatting about the day before and opening our presents and cards. We then got changed and headed downstairs for a quick something to eat (leftover rolls with sausage and bacon from the evening buffet or chocolate cake in my case!) before we had to tidy everything up and head off. Everyone helped and we packed the cars back up with all of our stuff, a kind of sad experience in itself... all that hard work and planning and it was already over!

The rain was pretty much torrential! Couldn't believe our luck, as it had been raining the day before and was now raining the day after our wedding but we had managed to get it to stay off long enough for our day. Yaaas. It was my little brother's 10th birthday the day after the wedding and we had booked to do a water assault course on the loch with him, but given that he wasn't feeling well he couldn't take part the poor thing. You may be surprised to read that the day after our wedding, my new husband and I were running into a freezing cold loch in the pouring rain with my mum, stepdad, brother and his girlfriend to jump on a bunch of inflatables... but that's exactly what we did! In hindsight, it probably wasn't the best idea given that I still had a cold and I then couldn't shake it off for most of the honeymoon... but it was fun at the time 

After that hilarity, we went back to my mum's hotel room as they were staying over at a nearby hotel another night to make the most of the long weekend and we got ourselves changed and hair dried. And that was it! Frazer and I headed home to finish packing for our honeymoon which we were leaving for the next day, almost forgetting the marriage certificate at the venue in the process! 

• Kelly224Kelly224 Posts: 962 New bride

I've loved reading your report Moggle!! What an awesome thing to do the day after the wedding!  Your poor little brother though - what a shame!

Looks like you had a fabulous day!

Aw thanks kelly  we really did have an amazing day, still gutted it’s over now haha. 

• MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 712 New bride

Fab report, looked like such an amazing fun day!! 

x

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

Loved reading this Moggle - such a beautiful bride  Hilarious that you went on an inflatables park the day after your wedding, you poor lil' bro not being able to take part though. Are you going to tell us a little about your honeymoon? 

MrsGtoB wrote (see post):

Fab report, looked like such an amazing fun day!! 

x

Thanks MrsGtoB! It really was the best 

Jenni8 wrote (see post):

Loved reading this Moggle - such a beautiful bride  Hilarious that you went on an inflatables park the day after your wedding, you poor lil' bro not being able to take part though. Are you going to tell us a little about your honeymoon? 

Aw thanks Jenni  Yep, that's my plan for this weekend - honeymoon update!

• Kelly224Kelly224 Posts: 962 New bride

Ooh yay! More to read 

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

Absolutely loved reading your report! 

The MacLeods’ Epic Honeymoon Day 1-3: San Francisco

We headed to the airport super early on Monday morning to catch our 7.45am flight to London, but that didn’t bother me for a change because it was just all so exciting!! We had a wee drink in the departure area of Heathrow because going to our gate and that’s where the complete un-fun started... I, of course, got selected and had my name called for a random security check and Frazer didn’t. We got separated and I had to sit with a bunch of strangers in a different room while my bag and my shoes got checked and my hands were swabbed and THEN I had to go board our flight without my new husband only to find out that they hadn’t given us the extra leg room seats we’d requested when we booked  Had to sit on the plane by myself waiting for Frazer to get there, when he did he was raging about the whole seating thing and had some heated words with the air steward about how it was our honeymoon and we’d specifically booked those seats and blah blah. Luckily they managed to move our seats to ones that did have extra leg room (not for me you see, I’m short and can sit anywhere... but Frazer gets grouchy being all scrunched up) and gave us a wee glass of fizzy wine each. Phew, what a drama... but yaaaay we were finally on our way to San Francisco and it was forecasted to be glorious sunshine when we got there!

Turns our that the three days we were there San Francisco had a total heatwave! When we arrived we got an uber to our Air BnB accommodation. I’m really glad we went air b n b for this, our host Peter was so lovely and lived in the upstairs of the building with his adorable Westie, while we had the whole of the downstairs to ourselves. He had popped a wee bottle of prosecco  the fridge for us and gave us so many excellent recommendations for things to do and places to eat that we wouldn’t have found ourselves probably. His house was located only a 5-10 minute walk from main sights like Lombard St and Fishermans Wharf. 

After dropping off our cases we went for a wee walk in the sunshine just to get our bearings and headed back to our accommodation. We decided to take a wee nap before dinner since we were so tired from the flight and ended up sleeping all of the rest of the day, missing dinner and not getting up till early the next day! Whoops... don’t underestimate how jet lagged you’ll be is my advice to anyone on similar honeymoons!

After our write-off of Day 1, we were determined to make the most of the next day starting with our early bird sailing to Alcatraz which we’d booked before we left.

I was pleasantly surprised by how interesting Alcatraz was! Even if you’re not into history or places like that, it was really engaging and I 100% recommend taking the audio tour of the prison. The views across the bay were stunning too, and at the time of year we went there wasn’t much fog either which was great.

The only downside was the amount of flies! They were everywhere! No idea if it was just the heat or what... I noticed that a lot about San Francisco, it wasn’t quite what I’d expected and I found it was actually a little smelly  Probably just the time of year we went and the heat wave.

After we got back to Fishermans Wharf we walked along to the Ferry Terminal Buidling for a walk about the market and a wee spot of lunch. Then we took the long walk uphill (honestly my wee legs were killing me!) to Coit Tower (just in the background of the below pic). Once inside Coit Tower you get the lift to the top and it has some beautiful views.

We then took a stroll along to Lombard Street (the one with all the bends on it), which was super busy, and walked up it to the cable car stop. Honestly, we had to watch about 5 cable cars go past before we got the chance to hop on. People kept queue jumping... gosh we must have looked so stereotypically British waiting patiently in line haha while the other all skipped us! We took the cable car down to Nob Hill, hanging on the outside on the rail (it goes faster than I thought it would too!), then walked through Chinatown to get back to our accommodation.

That night we went to Il Casaro Pizzeria (one of Peters recommendations) where you can see them make the pizza in a big red brick oven in front of you - plus it was delicious! Afterwards we walked up more hills (of course) to go to Top of the Mark for cocktails. This was lovely and because it was a Tuesday night it wasn’t too busy, we got a seat by the window and didn’t have to pay a cover charge! Winner. I did try a bogging cocktail though that I couldn’t even make myself finish... but other than that it was lovely to just chill out and take in the view of San francisco at night.

For our final day in San Francisco, we got up early again and headed to a local cafe for my first proper american pancakes! Peanut butter and chocolate chip... oh wow it was wonderful Haha. After that we headed down to Hyde Street Pier where we hired bikes for the day from Blazing Saddles and got a map from them for our route over the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito. We rode along the bay to Fort Mason then up a big hill that I managed to pedal up without needing to get off and push (Frazer was so proud haha). Cycling over the Bridge was great, and not as busy as I thought it would be but we were still early morning so that was maybe why. We stopped on the bridge a couple of times to take in the view then carried on our cycle down a huge road into Sausalito - that was really fun! Sausalito itself was an lovely little town on the bay with lots of shops and restaurants on the waterfront. We parked our bikes in one of the many bike racks, had lunch at one of these overlooking the harbour, then strolled around for a bit. As part of our hire we were given ferry tickets to get back across to San francisco which we happily used - no way I would’ve been able to cycle back up that road! 

Once we’d dropped the bikes off, we got an Uber to take us to Lands End Park and walked along the coastline from there. This was surprisingly great and there were lots of things to see along the way - more great views of the bridge, beaches and a labyrinth. The path ended up at Sutro Baths where we walked along the beach and into a sea cave which was fun. 

That night we headed to the Stinking Rose garlic restaurant for some garlic everything! That was good and very garlicky... then we headed back to accommodation as we’d be up early picking up our car the next day for the long drive to Yosemite National Park.

Ooo how fabulous. I love that I know everything that you spoke about and did most of it too! We didn't get time to go to lands end which I was a bit upset about. Looking forward to hearing about Yosemite x

Day 4-5 - Yosemite National Park and Bass Lake

We we’re up bright and early and picked up our White Mustang convertible (is there another way to do it?!) from the airport before setting off on our long journey to Yosemite. It took us about 4 hours and I made us stop along the way as I was staaaarving, so we pulled in to like a retail outlet area, stocked up on juice and snacks and had more pancakes at IHOP. Yum. 

Honestly as soon as you hit the park boundary the scenery is amazing! We were staying in a cabin at Half Dome Village which is right in the middle of Yosemite Valley beside Half Dome. It’s a mass of tents and cabins with a large dining area - I say dining, it was more like cafeteria food with a tiny bar in it you could get beer or wine from and also had a takeaway pizzeria outside. No phone signal and limited wi-fi so an excellent place to go if you want to get away from it and immerse yourself in nature. Our cabin was the kind of little wooden cabin you imagine it to be, bedroom with two double beds bedecked in plaid bedding and a wee bathroom. It was surprisingly cosy at night! 

There were shuttle buses running which left from Half Dome Village to Yosemite Valley where the only shop was and round some of the trailheads, so we caught one to the shop and got some more goodies in (by goodies I mean mainly beer, wine and crisps, not gonna lie... Although they only had miniatures of the wine wtf) We then headed back to Half Dome and then jumped on the bus to take us to Mirror Lake trailhead. Now... if you’ve read Jenni8’s wonderful report, you’ll see that Mirror Lake doesn’t exactly look like the pictures online of it which are a beautiful lake with a mirror image of the skyline reflecting in it...

It actually looked like this by the time we went in September:

Mirror puddle more like! We paddled out to the sandy bit and sunbathed for a while, the water was not cold but baaaaltic. It was still a fun walk though and instead of catching the bus back we walked it so that took up a bit of time. One thing I will also say - if you’re planning to hike in Yosemite and need the toilet, be prepared to pee in a smelly hole in the ground with no loo roll as that’s all you’ll find in the public toilets along the trails!

I was really surprised how quickly it got cold in the evening ! We got changed after our walk and headed over to the dining bit for some pizza - OMG this was delicious I got extra cheese, garlic and bacon on mines... it was the best thing I’d had! How surprising was that?! Frazer wanted to watch the American Football so we sat in the dining hall bit and ate our pizzas and had a little drink, it was really busy in there but we miraculously managed to get two seats next to the TVs. Afterwards we headed back to the cabin and sat on a wee bench outside for a bit before spending the night getting cosy in the cabin and reading. I know... we’re a bit lame... but the plan was to get up early the next day to go see El Capitan and drive up to a trailhead for Sentinel Dome so we didn’t want to get pished or stay up too late.

Wow it dried up so much between our stays! I'm guessing you didn't get eaten by Mozzies like we did? 

Jenni8 wrote (see post):

Wow it dried up so much between our stays! I'm guessing you didn't get eaten by Mozzies like we did? 

I know! Nope, none whatsoever which was excellent.

The next morning we checked out of our cabin quite early and set off in the direction of El Capitan, where we ran into traffic and a road closure. Sadly, the day before there had been a landslide on El Capitan and a British climber had died in it which had led to the road closure. 

We decided to turn around and head in another direction, up a mountain to the Taft Point/Sentinel Dome trailheads. These weren’t particularly strenuous hikes and I‘d definitely recommend for anyone who isn’t a serious hiker heading to Yosemite - the views were amazing, plus we met chipmunks on the trail! From Taft Point there was a great view of El Capitan (though slightly terrifying to someone like me who’s afraid of heights, being on the edge of a sheer drop like that one!) and you continued along the trail it lead to climbing up Sentinel Dome from which you could see both El Capitan and Half Dome.

Hiking the trails took up much of our day and then we headed south through Yosemite to our accommodation at Bass Lake which was just outside the actual park and past the giant sequoias at Mariposa Grove (sadly this area was closed off so we didn’t get to visit). Honestly, for a last minute change to our itinerary Bass Lake was actually great! We stayed at The Pines Resort and it was exactly like when you watch all the American family vacation films where they go to their chalets by the lake and bbq and stuff like that. Fab! Our Chalet was huge and had a deck we could sit on too. Unfortunately we didn’t get to spend much time here because our hiking had taken up all day, but we went down to the jetty bit at the lake to watch the sun setting and had some delicious burgers and cocktails out on the decking at the resort restaurant overlooking the lake. 

Day 6 - Pacific Coast Highway Pt1, Santa Cruz to Carmel

Up early again on Day 6 for our long drive (no relaxing sleep ins for us yet this honeymoon!) to start the main reason for our California honeymoon - driving down the Pacific Coast Highway, one of America’s best scenic drives. To get to the Coast from Bass Lake we had to drive across the middle of the state, which is definitely not scenic by any means... it was pretty barren actually. Just a lot of sandy hills and sparse greenery. It took us another 3-4 hours to reach our first destination, Santa Cruz.

We decided to start in Santa Cruz to visit the Boardwalk there. It was actually pretty enjoyable, we had corn dogs by the beach and walked about the rides though we only went on the Sky Ride. A common theme this honeymoon was me trying to get past a silly fear of heights and I thought going on this ride would help. Hahahaha... the views were great when you got up there, but you were basically in a wee gondola bit with your legs hanging off the edge and a tiny bar across your lap. That was it! I was totally terrified every time the thing swayed! Still worth a go though if you’re ever in Santa Cruz 

From Santa Cruz we headed down to Monterey just in time for lunch. We parked up and walked down to the wharfs where we found LouLou’s Griddle in the Middle, a tiny wee place that serves the best cheese toastie I’ve ever had! We sat in the sunshine watching some fighter jets flying overhead and ate our lunch before heading along the coastal path to Cannery Row where the shops and things were. You should’ve seen the amount of jellyfish - huge clouds of them in the water! There were also tons of Pelicans and big Sea lions hanging on the rocks along the way which was cool to see.

Next stop for us was to head back to the car and drive over to the start of 17-Mile Drive, a beautiful scenic route through golf courses (like Pebble Beach) and super fancy mansions along the coastline. We were given a map that pointed out all of the stops along the way, which was helpful! The light was just starting to fade as we reached the end of the drive, which conveniently comes out right at Carmel where we were staying that night, and it was such a beautiful time of day to take in the scenery there. 

Our laaaavely car for the trip

Our accommodation in Carmel was conveniently only a few streets back from the beach and only 5 minute walk from all of the restaurants too. Winner! It was also totally beautiful - if anyone is looking for a recommendation in Carmel, try Lamplighter Inn and Suites. We loved it and kind of wished we could’ve stayed longer as we’d didn’t really get a chance to see Carmel properly during the day. As soon as we checked in, we walked down to the beach to watch the sunset. It was beeeeautiful, and there were even a group of dolphins jumping about in the waves. This was the first chance we’d had to get our toes in the sand in California and it didn’t disappoint.

It was also our 1 week anniversary while we were in Carmel so we headed out for a delicious steak dinner before coming back to chill at the fire pit that was right outside our room.

Day 7 - Pacific Coast Highway, Big Sur to Cayucos

The next morning we had a walk around the shops in Carmel, but not much was open as we were about so early! Our next drive was the proper Big Sur Pacific Coast Highway section of our journey, which you might have seen from Jenni8’s report was badly affected by a landslide earlier in the year which shut off a section of the route. 

We headed out of Carmel along the aptly named Scenic Road which took us along the coastline and past some more lovely looking houses - we saw more dolphins too so that was nice! After there we hit Highway 1 and that’s where the real coastal scenery began. It was looovely! We stopped at some of the bridges along the way, particularly the famous Bixby Bridge. If you’re doing this drive I recommend going early because even though this is what we had done, most of the stops on the road were heaving with tourists and it was sometimes hard to get parked.

Unfortunately the road was still closed from Julia Pfeiffer National Park onwards so we had to go into the National Park to leave our car and hike up through the forest (super steep!) which meant I whinged aaaaall the way because I was roasting and minging sweaty by the time we reached the top of the trail where the road was. They had a shuttle bus running which went down to the restaurant Nepenthe and back up. We didn’t go to the restaurant, but took in the views and went for a walk down the hill to the Henry Miller Memorial Library (an interesting detour) before heading back up the hill to catch the bus to the trailhead. We saw lots of adorable little hummingbirds flitting about the bushes here which was lovely! After a quick stop in the store where the bus drops you off to get an ice cream to try to cool down, we went back to the car. So much easier to walk going down haha... 

We then unfortunately had to take a massive detour inland  as the road was closed. This wasn’t great and like when we left Yosemite, the scenery was pretty barren and desert. Our stop for the evening was Cayucos, there wasn’t much in this town and our accommodation there was one of the cheapest of our honeymoon, but it was right on the beach so we got to watch the sun setting and hear the waves at night so I reckon it was worth it. When we arrived I headed down to the beach for a wee paddle after a long day walking about in Big Sur. The beach wasn’t wonderful, pretty much like the beaches you get back home actually! But it was still nice to be able to chill out and walk along the beach in the sunshine. After the sun set we went to a seafood restaurant close by and I had an aaaamazing cocktail with vodka, honey and lemon in it which I swear helped my cough and sore throat which I was still suffering from since before the wedding!

There wasn’t a buzzing nightlife in Cayucos so we picked up some gin and tonic at the liquor store and had some drinks on our wee balcony overlooking the sea instead. 

Day 8 - Solvang and Santa Barbara

Our first stop next day was in Solvang, California’s little piece of Denmark! This was a fun place to visit and if we’d been staying then we would definitely have visited one of the maaaaany wine cellars they had in the town. But we weren’t so instead we walked about looking at all the windmills and laughing at the teeny Little Mermaid fountain which we found as equally disappointing (but in an amusing way) as the original we visited in Copenhagen a few years ago. 

From Solvang we hit the road again heading for Santa Barbara, our last stop on the Pacific Coast Highway before we reached LA. As it was still too early to check in when we arrived, we took a drive up into the hills above Santa Barbara to make a visit to Knapps Castle which was supposed to be the ruins of this big fancy house that was was in all the recommendations I’d read before we left. Pfffft, big let down... turns out someone was now renovating it so there was nothing except a construction site left! Ah well, the views were still great and Frazer loved driving round all the bends on the windy road up there.

After our drive up the hills, we headed back to check into our hotel and made a stop on the way at Santa Barbara courthouse. The building itself is really beautiful (nothing like your local sherriff court or anything back home!) and it’s free to go inside and climb the clock tower to take in the beautiful views. There was a wedding just finished when we were there and they were walking about the courthouse getting their pictures taken, was nice to see and still made me all happy to think just over a week ago that was us! 

That night we were staying in a suite at The Eagle Inn, and oh my goodness it was so great! This was a booking.com bargain and one of the cheaper hotels on our trip, but you’d never know it from looking at the place! It was situated only a couple of streets back from the beach and our suite had a jacuzzi bath in the bedroom and everything! We totally tried that out later on, but I didn’t get a chance to properly enjoy it boooo because I was still feeling pretty ill. After checking in, we quickly changed and headed to the beach. Now apparently it’s meant to be one of the nicest beaches in the US and it was pretty nice, but nothing superb to be honest. We chilled out and read our books until it started to cool down a bit and then went back to the hotel and out for dinner on the harbour which looked lovely all light up at night. 

Day 9 - LA/Santa Monica

And with that we were off to LA! This was the part of our trip I was least looking forward to, big cities really aren’t my thing at all and make me feel very anxious. But we stayed in Santa Monica, right on the beach so it was nice and relaxed out there and I didn’t need to worry! Our first stop was Griffith Observatory. Loved that, didn’t cost us anything to go inside for a look about and was really interesting. We also got our first look at the Hollywood sign from the park there. Our original plan was to hike to the sign, but I hadn’t properly planned this and didn’t bring enough water or plan enough time for it.... so we went to In-N-Out Burger instead haha. Oooooh I can never have a McDonald’s again after that, it was so much better!

After the observatory we walked about the shops in Santa Monica for a while before going to a restaurant next to our hotel for dinner. We didn’t want it to be a wild night because we had our trip to OUE Skyspace planned for the next day before heading to Long Beach.

Day 10 - Santa Monica / LA / Long Beach

After checking out, Frazer decided that we should go a walk along to Venice Beach that morning to kill some time before our booking at OUE sky space later. Fine with me... until we got there. It was dirty and a bit scary looking for someone like me who’s led a sheltered little life. Really dodgy to be honest, lots of guys trying to give out those CDs, the ones where when you take them they demand payment and it gets ugly from there? The beach was beautiful, super light sands, but everything else was not very nice at all... we stuck to the bike path once we’d went far enough along that Frazer let us turn back.

We then hopped in the car and headed to our next stop, but had to get parked first. We went to the recommended parking for the building and it was a niiiightmare. We must’ve drove round that parking garage ten times before we got parked... OUE Skyspace itself is located at the top of the US Bank Building (the one in the film Independence day that gets blown up by the aliens first) and is a big exhibition about LA which was actually pretty interesting. At the top there’s a 360 observation deck with views of the city and the slide that we’d come to go on. It was a 45ft slide made entirely of glass on the outside of the building which went from the 70th to 69th floor of the building. Going on the slide you got a sack like on helter skelters at the fair, and it was over in about 4 seconds, but when you’re scared of heights like me it was an amazing thing to do. I was terrified at the top, but really glad I did it. Winner! As it was a Wednesday in October the place was pretty much dead, so we got to enjoy it without the tons of tourists we’d experienced everywhere else. 

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

just caught up on your report, I love it all, I really like the one of you and Frazier stood on the grassy bit with all the autumn leaves about.

do you have a blog by the way? I saw a girl doing a review on hair tongs and she looked so like you, even the long red hair!

MrsJ2017 wrote (see post):

just caught up on your report, I love it all, I really like the one of you and Frazier stood on the grassy bit with all the autumn leaves about.

do you have a blog by the way? I saw a girl doing a review on hair tongs and she looked so like you, even the long red hair!

Aw thanks MrsJ  Nope, no blog for me - cant use hair tongs if my life depended on it lol!

After my exhilarating 3 second experience in a glass slide hundreds of feet above the ground, we started our journey to Long Beach stopping off at another In-N-Out Burger on the way. 

It was later in the afternoon by this point and we didn’t have much time so didn’t get a chance to properly look around Long Beach - but from even just driving through the streets it looked nicer than the other areas near LA we’d seen so far! The only reason we were even visiting Long Beach on our honeymoon was because I was aaaabsolutely desperate to get to stay on the Queen Mary which is docked there and is now a hotel. I love history and old ships and was completely buzzing to have the chance to stay there!

It didn’t disappoint, for me anyway - Frazer was not so convinced. He said the ship smelt old... i say it smelt like history   The whole thing was like going back in time! Even our cabin, which unfortunately was harbour side rather than sea view (couldn’t justify the costs for one night‘s stay!), was beautiful and eeeee I’m still excited just thinking back to it! Once we’d dropped our cases off, we wandered around the ship for a bit. We got money off the tours they do because we were staying, but Frazer’s really not a stand in a queue with other people on a tour kind of person so we have it a miss and just took the tour by ourselves. It was exciting to be on this big old ship on the other side of the world that was actually built in Frazer’s home town!

Can you see the excitement on my face haha?!

That night we dressed up in our fancy clothes to go for dinner at Sir Winstons Restaurant on the top deck of the ship. Wow, what can I say? I adored this restaurant and the food and cocktails were absolutely amazing! We even managed to wangle a window seat (though they weren’t originally going to sit us there...). This was probably the most expensive meal of our trip, but we were on honeymoon and this was like total luxury! After dinner we went into the little lounge attached, it wasn’t very busy (it was Wednesday after all) - just us and 2 other guys who were there for a conference. We sat at the bar and had great chat with the bar tender and I had The best French 75 cocktail I’ve had (and that’s a lot cause it’s my favourite!). We went to the other bar on ship once that one closed for the night, and it was nice but just like a standard bar you get anywhere so wasn’t as good. That was the most drunk I got the whole honeymoon, and we had a fab night before staggering back to our cabin.

(We didn’t take pics inside so these are just from google)

The one downside is that its obviously an old ship, with an old air con system... so of course I managed to get some kind of chest infection and ended up getting a cough that was sometimes so bad I was vomiting (sorry for the not nice picture!). But I didn’t care, it was worth it for my absolute favourite place of our honeymoon. If you like history or feeling like you’ve went back in time like I do, then i can not recommend this enough. Loved it!

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

Your honeymoons looks amazing! I remember reading Jenni's report and feeling jealous. Now I'm even more jealous! 

FutureMrsThomas wrote (see post):

Your honeymoons looks amazing! I remember reading Jenni's report and feeling jealous. Now I'm even more jealous! 

Aw FutureMrsThomas! It really was our one in a lifetime trip so we tried to cram it full with everything we wanted to do