The Report - Our September Wedding by the Loch

124»

• MoggleMoggle Posts: 556 New bride

Day 11 - Disneyland, Anaheim!

Hmm, if I had to make a list of places I’d rather not be with a hangover Disneyland would 100% be on that list... but that’s just where we were headed the next day! Frazer never gets a hangover so was fresh as a daisy, I however was a total grouch until later that morning when I eventually got some breakfast.

See Frazer had us up bright and early for our drive to Anaheim, where we ditched the car at our hotel we’d be staying in that night and walked over to the Disneyland parks which were handily only about 10 mins tops walk from our hotel. Oh boy, I was not expecting it to be as busy as it was given it was a weekday morning in October - I’d hate to see what it gets like on a weekend in summer!! People eeeeeverywhere! And all the women were wearing Minnie Mouse ears, I felt like I’d missed the memo! We decided that out of the two Disneyland parks, we would go to the original one so Frazer could get the proper Disney experience (this was his first time at any Disney!). Once we got in and looked at the map we decided to head around for a wee wander to get our bearings and see how the queues were. Frazer managed to appease me with some churros and I was back in a chipper mood, which was even more chipper when I got my sparkly Minnie Mouse ears - I figured, when in Disneyland...  We went on a couple of wee rides and Frazer managed to lose his ticket! Which you need for pretty much everything! So we headed to one of the information points at the front gate to get that sorted and while we were there we mentioned we were on honeymoon and got our ’Happily Ever After’ button badges which I even managed to persuade Frazer to wear! 

We had a great day in Disneyland, it really is magical isn’t it? Even Frazer enjoyed himself, though the lack of lots of big rollercoasters wasn’t a highlight for him... We stayed until after dark and went on the Mark Twain riverboat ride for a wee bit of relaxation before heading out the park. I was feeling really unwell by this point, probably a combination of hangover and starting to get that chest infection so as soon as we got to our room that night I went to bed.

Day 12-13: San Diego

San Diego was our next and final stop in California before we would head to Maui, and it was our favourite of the cities we visited. 

On the way there we stopped at La Jolla to see the seals at the Childrens Pool and sat on a bench watching surfers try and fail to catch the waves. It was beautiful there, but a nightmare to get parked!

We went straight from La Jolla to Frazer’s next itinerary stop - the USS Midway. Frazer is a maaaassive Top Gun fan and this day was pretty much all about that haha. The USS Midway was surprisingly interesting though, we took the audio tour of the ship/aircraft carrier which took at least an hour and then wandered about on the top deck where the planes were for a wee bit too. Frazer, of course, was buzzing! It was super windy up on the deck which was less enjoyable for me with my hair whipping about everywhere, but the views were great so cant complain

Then it was onto Kansas City BBQ for lunch, the part Frazer was most excited for... yep, this was the actual bar used in Top Gun. Wooo. The food was pretty good, had a nice beef brisket, but even if it was terrible it would’ve been worth it just to see the excitement on his wee face!

We stayed in accommodation right in the Gaslamp Quarter for the next 2 nights in a mini suite. It was rather fancy, but one of the only places we stayed that didn’t have unlimited free wi-fi! Urgh! The location was perfect because as soon as we left the building we were at the top of a long street full of bars and restaurants - so much easier having everything in one place! Reminded me of Merchant City in Glasgow where you have all the bars and restaurants in roughly the same area. It was absolutely jumping as well! Typical then that I felt terrible so couldn’t properly enjoy it  we ended up having dinner then heading back to the suite where I went straight to bed and Frazer stayed up by himself watching sports on the telly.

The next day we drove over to Balboa Park where all of the museums are, and the zoo if you wanted to go there. We considered the zoo, but really how different would it be from the zoos over here anyway? Plus it would be heaving on a Saturday, so we gave it a miss. We headed for the Museum of Man first as we had booked tickets for the tour of their clock tower - this had been shut for like 50 years and only re-opened to the public the previous year. We were part of a small tour group that walked up the (many) tower steps, stopping on each level for the guide to tell us a bit about Balboa Park and the Museum. All very interesting! The views were great from the tower too as you could see the whole park and we stopped on the viewing platform section for about 10 mins to take pictures. After the tour we walked around the museum for a bit, but again... it was very similar to the museums back home with your standard Ancient Egypt wing and things like that. They had a temporary exhibition about cannibals which was actually really interesting though! 

Once we left the museum of Man, we walked around the park for a bit past the botanic gardens and a giant amphitheatre with a huge organ in it, and had some ice cream by the water fountain before heading back to the suite.

The clock tower in the distance

That night we got changed and went to watch the sunset from the top of our building before heading out for dinner. We went down the same street and stopped in at a bar/restaurant where we were the only people having something to eat which was awkward - but ended up being the best burger I had in America! Winner! our flight to Maui was at 7am the next morning and we had to get to the airport early to drop off our car, so another early night it was! And that was it - so long California... that whole part of our trip was wonderful and I highly recommend driving the Pacific Coast Highway to anyone considering it!

So California was great, but oooooh Maui was even better!

Day 14 - Kihei

Our flight was pretty terrible, mostly because I was ill  Kept coughing  it got so bad near the end of our journey that I was sick in one of those horrid paper bags they put in your seat... Frazer was all embarrassed  Just before we touched down though we got given Mai Tais to welcome us to Hawaii so that was nice! We’d hired an SUV for the week so picked that up (Frazer was gutted it wasn’t a better model and there weren’t any upgrades available) and started on our journey to Kihei on the other side of the island. The great thing about Maui was that because it’s quite small, it only took 30 mins to an hour to get between our stops. Winner. In Kihei we stayed at Maui Coast Hotel and I really recommend it, it was the only place we were offered an upgrade because we were on honeymoon and the room we were given was so nice!

Once checked in we headed out in search of something to eat for lunch and found Maui Fish n’ Chips where i had amazing deep fried and delicious calamari! Nom nom... we walked over to the beach, and had a lovely lazy beach day paddling in the sea and reading our books. We then stopped by the hotel pool and sunbathed while drinking cocktails, perfect start to our holiday! And then it got crappy... I was still coughing badly and was sick a few more times as a result. I felt terrible and couldn’t make it out of bed for dinner that night. Frazer went for a walk down by the beach himself and to find a shop for crisps and things like that - he saw the most amazing sunset too. Honestly, every night in Maui the sunsets were so beautiful, unlike anything we’d seen anywhere else. I concentrated on getting better that night because we had to be up at 3am to drive to Haleakala National Park where we had booked our tickets waaaay in advance (essential for this if you’re ever going to Maui) to be able to watch the sunrise from the top of the volcano.

PS - you’ll probably notice I still had no tan! I may not be a natural redhead, but I’ve got the skin tone of one so had to factor 50 it up every day...

Day 15 - Haleakala and road to Hana

We were up before dawn the next day to embark on the busiest day of our honeymoon. We headed up the volcano to the top of Haleakala to watch the sun rising. It was quite busy, but we got there nice and early so got a great spot right on the edge of the crater. It was so quiet and peaceful despite the large number of people, and absolutely freezing at that time in the morning! I had on two jumpers, frazers shorts and a scarf over my clothes and I was still chilly. It was absolutely worth it though, watching the sunrise over the clouds was a beautiful and amazing thing to see and one I would highly recommend to anyone heading to Maui on holiday or honeymoon. 

After changing out of my many layers and fixing my hair (we’d left in a hurry that morning!), we started on our next part of the journey - the Road to Hana. This was a long winding road with twists and turns and all sorts along the coast of Maui to the town of Hana, with lots of places to stop off along the way - waterfalls, roadside cafes, gardens, etc. We made our first stop at Ho’okipa Lookout to watch some surfers in the waves before travelling on to Twin Falls to find our first waterfalls.

We stopped on the roadside shortly after this for ice cream to cool us down a bit! It was a really pleasant drive though and given the time of year and time of day it wasn’t even that busy which was great for parking at the stops! 

At one point along the way we stopped after a Bridge over a large waterfall and went to take a picture of it from the bridge. While we were there A group of people came scrambling up the side from below the bridge and told us they’d climbed down to the bottom to see it up close. Well of course Frazer then got it into his head that we had to do the same... eeeeh whit?! So off we went down the side of the bridge scrambling along the damp stone of the bridge and the mud to get to this waterfall. It was impressive up close, and getting down hadn’t been that hard, but it was the getting back up to the road I was worried about! Cue grouchy no pleased faces from me in all the pictures there haha. 

One of the coolest stops we made was near to Hana itself at the Hana Lava Tube. We were given a torch and sent off on our own down into the earth in this old Lava tube made a long time ago when the lava flowed from the volcano through that area. It was so dark and damp down there, but honestly really fun to walk along

Our final stop before we hit Hana town was Kahanu Garden, National Tropical Botanical Garden. This wasn’t one of the stops we planned, but it was along the same road as the Lava Tube so we thought why not. Really glad we did as this place was complete paradise. Blue skies, green grass, palm trees, ocean views, oh it was exactly what I imagine when I think of paradise! We walked around for a half hour just enjoying the quiet and how beautiful everything was before finally heading to our destination in Hana. 

Hana is a very small town with not a lot in it, most people make the day trip there following the road then head back. Our accommodation was Hana Kai, condos with ocean views. I was surprised how great our accommodation was!  there was a little balcony right outside where the bed was overlooking the ocean and a black sand beach. We decided since we still had plenty of time before dinner to go and sunbathe on the black sand beach. Sounded like a good idea at the time but that was the hottest sand I’ve ever walked on! And it got eeeeverywhere. Still pretty cool though. We had dinner and cocktails at one of the only local restaurants we could find then sat on the balcony playing cards that right, lovely and relaxing with the sound of the ocean!

Day 16 - Hana back to Kihei

The next day we were heading past Hana to the Seven Sacred Pools at Ohe’o for some hiking. Oh my goodness that road was treacherous in places! So many sharp bends and single track sections where you couldn’t really see what was coming! It wasn’t so bad on the way there as it was quite early, but the way back was harder with all the cars and having to wait at passing points. When we eventually got there we didn’t need to pay again for access to this national park as once you have your ticket (we got ours at Haleakala) for any of them it lasts for 3 days to get into any of the others for free - success!

We walked the short trail to the coastline where the seven sacred pools were first. You used to be able to swim in them, but they recently closed them for that due to rock slides and flash floods. We headed uphill after this to take the Pipiwai trail through a bamboo forest to Waimoku Falls. It was roasting hot and coupled with the hiking I was a proper sweaty Betty. The heat was made easier though by the little rain showers that were a wonderful relief and cooled us right down!

After all the super sweaty hiking we got changed in the loos and jumped back in the car and all the way back along the Road to Hana to get back to Kihei where we’d be staying that night. Our accommodation here was just another condo and wasn’t great to be honest, but it had one magical thing in it - a washed/dryer machine! Yaaaaas! We were in desperate need of washing our clothes, especially underwear which we were running low on and had actually thought we‘d need to buy more of the next day, so this was a wonderful surprise - never thought I’d be so excited to see a washing machine haha.

We dumped our bags and drove along to the more affluent Wailea area (where all of the posh hotels like the Four Seasons are) to walk along the beach and watch the sun setting. This beach was amazing, the sand was so soft, can see why you pay extra to stay in that area! We headed out to Fat Daddy’s Smokehouse for dinner that night, another one I’d recommend if you find yourself on Kihei and craving some BBQ mmmmm. 

Day 17 - Kihei to Ka’anapali

Day 17 was another early start, this time for a snorkelling trip with Maui Magic from Maalaea Harbor to Molokini Crater and Turtle Town. The boat was pretty busy, but it didn’t feel overcrowded and the crew were great fun! We got breakfast and fruit juice on the boat on the way to Molokini Crater which was our first stop for snorkelling. I know I’ve probably overused the word amazing so far in this report, but it really was! There were hundreds of other snorkellers there from our boat and then loads of others also docked in the crater, but still miraculously plenty of room to swim about with the tropical fish. We saw so many different kinds and even a big eel!

Our wee buzzin faces!

After Molokini the captain headed to turtle town, an area past Wailea and Makena where turtles tend to gather, though like most things like that there’s no guarantee you’ll see one. But we did! After swimming about and having fun on the slide off the boat we had super tasty burgers for lunch and even tastier mai tais. It rained a bit on the way back, but not too long and we were already wet so it didn’t matter much.

Once back at harbour we drove on to our next stop up the coast at Ka’anapali Beach. We opted for another condo for this and were lucky enough to get one on the top floor with great views of the beach. We spent our afternoon between the beach and the pool and ordered takeaway pizza at night. This was a great chill out afternoon and evening and we found we’d really needed it after being so busy for so long!

Day 18 - Ka’anapali

We used our second day at Ka’anapali to chill out too, reading by the pool, walking along the beach or taking a look round the shops. I tried shave ice too which is apparently one of the things to try in Hawaii - it was basically a giant mound of ice with flavouring in it so just a huge slushie!

That night we caught the bus from just outside our accommodation to take us along to Lahaina to the harbour  for a sunset dinner cruise on a catamaran. We went on board with lots of couples (tons of honeymooners!) and got our wee table on the edge of the boat. We had lots of Prosecco, beer and cocktails and a nice 3 course meal while we sailed out the harbour and towards the next island while the sun was setting. As we headed back to Lahaina we watched a lightning storm hit over on Haleakala, I’ve never seen anything like it back home! The whole cloud lit up from the inside and there were forks of lightning all over the place. It was brilliant to look one way on the boat and see the sun setting and then the other way and see the amazing lightning storm! It was super windy though so I had to braid my hair while we were on the boat for it not to be whipping about everywhere!

Day 19 - Lahaina

After checking out of our accommodation, we drove on to the nearby town of Lahaina where we’d be spending our last night on Maui - couldn’t believe that we were almost at the end of our honeymoon!

We were too early to check into our final hotel, so went for burgers for lunch right on the ocean and walked around the shops and downtown Lahaina. There were lots of bars and restaurants and if we were ever to do it again I think we’d have liked to spend more time staying there to take it all in! Our hotel was the Plantation Inn, only a few streets back from the front. Again this was one of our cheaper stays, but our room was lovely! And the staff were so helpful and really nice, it was the perfect place to stay for our last night in Maui. Once checked in we hung out by the pool for a bit before we had to get ready to head out to the Old Lahaina Luau for our dinner and entertainment for the night.

Oh my goodness, can not recommend Old Lahaina Luau enough - the show was AH-mazing, the food was delicious and the cocktails, oh so tasty. We worked our way through the cocktail list in true Scottish style, drinking everyone else sitting with us under the table. We were seated right at the stage at the traditional seating bit on cushions - surprisingly comfy - round a long table with other folk. It was a really sociable night for us and we made friends with an American couple who even sent us a card at Christmas there! We got our first lei’s of the holiday and tried lots of tasty Hawaiian food, which I would never have thought to order if we were at a normal restaurant 

Day 20 - goodbye Maui

For our last day in Maui we booked in to do a ziplining tour back in Ka’anapali to kill time before our overnight flight back to San Francisco that night. This was surprisingly great fun despite me freaking out at first about being so high up with just a harness on!! The views were great too.

We then took our final drive around Maui and headed back down past Wailea to visit the lava fields at La Perouse Bay. It was amazing how many different parts there were to Maui - rainforests, desert, beaches, even this volcanic rocky area that honestly looked like something from a post-apocalyptic film.

And that was it! Off to the airport we went to catch our flight. This was really the worst part of our honeymoon, we had the overnight flight from Maui to San francisco and were then on the overnight flight from San Francisco back to London... we were totally shattered.

Day 21 - San Francisco then home

As we arrived back in San Francisco so early in the morning, we decided to hire a car for the day and drive over the Golden Gate Bridge to Muir Woods to see the giant redwood trees. We arrived early enough to get parked no problem and also got to enter the National Park for free because they hadn’t properly opened yet - yaaas.

The trail we took only took us an hour, maybe two at the most, but was a nice gentle incline compared to the ones we’d trekked in Yosemite and Maui and the woods were amazing to see. They reminded me of the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park in the Trossachs, near where we got married back home. The trees were huuuuge! 

By the time we left the place was heaving with tourists and people were finding it hard to park, so very glad we‘d arrived nice and early!

Before heading back to the airport we stopped off at Golden Gate Park and had a nice walk about and saw their resident buffalos - not as exciting as we thought it’d be! As it was a weekend, the park was busy with lots of families taking picnics and joggers out running. My feet started to get sore around this point and I was absolutely starving so we went back to the airport to sit and wait for our flight. On the way home we’d upgraded to premium economy and thank god, the difference between standard economy and premium was more than I expected! We found it easier to sleep on the flight back too. We then had a quick stopover in London before getting back to Glasgow late on the Monday where my mum picked us up.

It was then that she told us my dad was in the hospital as he’d been in an accident while we’d been away and dropped a SAW on his arm, cutting through the muscle and nearly severing his arteries!! They hadn’t wanted to tell us as I’m a worrier and wouldn’t have enjoyed ourselves. She was right about that, what a thing to come home to!! Thank goodness he’s made a full recovery now and everything’s fine, but that Monday night was a pretty stressful one!

Married Life

I honestly find it hard to believe that our wedding was  5 months ago tomorrow! I always thought that things would calm down now that the planning was done and we would be able to chill out together and just enjoy our first year as a married couple... well, life had other plans for us!

The weekend after we got back from honeymoon I was meant to be going out on a bit of a bender for a friends‘ birthday, but I still wasn’t feeling quite right and now that I had time to think about it... I hadn’t had my period since the start of September... Frazer thought he was funny making ‘oh haha maybe you’re pregnant‘ jokes, but surely not...? I decided to take a test just in case as I was paranoid about going on a big drinking session (and also now panicking about the amount of cocktails on honeymoon!) and lo and behold it turns out that I was pregnant  We’d decided that we would try from the wedding and on honeymoon but then weren’t planning to think about it until this year as we really thought it would take a while to conceive.

But here we are! We’ll be expecting our little wedding baby to join our wee family in June and we’re absolutely over the moon!

While we’re now having to rush things like selling our house and buying a new one to have it all ready in time for baby arriving, we’re so excited to start this new chapter of our lives together. My mum is totally buzzing - last year she had hen dos and this year she’s organising a baby shower haha.

• Kelly224Kelly224 Posts: 962 New bride

Oh wow!!  Massive congratulations to you both - that's amazing news!!

Have loved reading about your honeymoon - it's made me very jealous and what a lovely way to finish your report!

Best of luck with the little one - your life will never be the same again albeit in an awesome way!  Cherish every moment with them as it goes so fast - my daughter is 6 this year and I've literally no idea where those 6 years have gone! xx

• MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 712 New bride

Oh my I’ve just binged on your honeymoon and then that last post 😍😍😍😍

Massive congratulations June babies are amazing my eldest is one. Perfect birthday halfway between Christmas so you can space the toys out 👌

What a fab honeymoon to have too before having to think of children

Have enjoyed your report so much thanks for sharing it all xx

Kelly224 wrote (see post):

Oh wow!!  Massive congratulations to you both - that's amazing news!!

Have loved reading about your honeymoon - it's made me very jealous and what a lovely way to finish your report!

Best of luck with the little one - your life will never be the same again albeit in an awesome way!  Cherish every moment with them as it goes so fast - my daughter is 6 this year and I've literally no idea where those 6 years have gone! xx

Thanks Kelly  glad you enjoyed reading it! Aaaah, well considering how fast this seems to have gone in I’m sure time will seem to go even faster once baby gets here!

x

MrsGtoB wrote (see post):

Oh my I’ve just binged on your honeymoon and then that last post 😍😍😍😍

Massive congratulations June babies are amazing my eldest is one. Perfect birthday halfway between Christmas so you can space the toys out 👌

What a fab honeymoon to have too before having to think of children

Have enjoyed your report so much thanks for sharing it all xx

Aw thanks MrsGtoB, glad you enjoyed reading it  haha you’re right about the toys, never thought of it like that!!

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

So wonderful to hear all about your honeymoon though it brought back a lot of memories and made me sad I wasn't there again! Hawaii sounds amazing too  Absolutely loved your report xx

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

SQUEAL!!!! I was not expecting that, what a fantastic end to your report, and beginning of your married lives!

Congratulations, so cute!

Hawaii looks pretty decent, I might have to put it on my bucket list 🤔

Jenni8 wrote (see post):

So wonderful to hear all about your honeymoon though it brought back a lot of memories and made me sad I wasn't there again! Hawaii sounds amazing too  Absolutely loved your report xx

Aw I know what you mean, I got a bit sad too reminiscing! Thanks Jenni, glad you enjoyed reading it  x

MrsJ2017 wrote (see post):

SQUEAL!!!! I was not expecting that, what a fantastic end to your report, and beginning of your married lives!

Haha I wasn’t expecting it either  thanks MrsJ!

Honestly, I can’t recommend Hawaii enough! It was amazing and definitely worth the super long flights to get to it.

I’m still going to be hanging around on here, looking forward to reading more of your report 

Moggle wrote (see post):
    MrsJ2017 wrote (see post):

Haha I wasn’t expecting it either  thanks MrsJ!

Honestly, I can’t recommend Hawaii enough! It was amazing and definitely worth the super long flights to get to it.

I’m still going to be hanging around on here, looking forward to reading more of your report 

H2b did suggest Hawaii, we still haven’t had our honeymoon and don’t know when we will due to his work. And we’d only go for a week because of leaving the kids, so I thought Hawaii may be a bit far. We were thinking Caribbean, but I’m seriously reconsidering!

Photographers have said Ill be getting my photos next week so I’ll be able to get one with my report, I’m so excited, sad.

Today our wedding was featured on wefellinlove.com, the Scottish wedding blog I was a guest blogger for in the run up to our wedding! Seeing it has really cheered me up as I’m currently stuck in hospital unable to sleep having been induced at 12 days overdue... still no sign of baby yet, just a lot of pain  so this was a nice wee pick me up! Links below if anyone wants a wee look:

http://www.wefellinlove.co.uk/blog/2018/06/21/sunshine-yellow-tartan-for-an-autumn-wedding-at-loch-ard/

• Kelly224Kelly224 Posts: 962 New bride

Awww that's amazing!!  and good luck with baby arrival!  Hopefully he/she won't keep you waiting too much longer!! xx

Good luck with the baby Moggle, I avoided being induced by 2 hours with my last one!

Hi ladies, just a little update - our son Archibald “Archie“ was born yesterday via emergency caesarean after I was in labour for 17 traumatic hours. He has a full head of dark hair like daddy and weighed in at a whopping 9lbs 9!

• MrsJamesMrsJames Posts: 406 New bride

Congratulations Moggle. Hope you and Archie are doing well 

Oh my goodness, 9lb 9! 😱 my youngest (and biggest) was a petite 9lb 5.

Congratulations, hope your not in too much pain and hope Archie is doing well x