The Report - Our September Wedding by the Loch

Well ladies, I’m finally getting around to starting my report! We don’t have our official photographs yet, but I figured I can write a good wee bit without needing them at the moment. So here we go!

The all-important details

The Bride & Groom: Morgan & Frazer

Background: We met back in 2007 at a house party my best friend threw which Frazer was invited to as he was a friend of her then-boyfriend. One thing led to another as they say and here we are ten years later living together in our lovely wee house with our lovely chubby cat. 

The Proposal: So I kind of ruined Frazer’s proposal... we had went for a run in the car up to the Hermitage in Perth, a lovely area with a waterfall and woodland walks, on a sunny day in August 2015. Unfortunately for Frazer, the sunshine brought out a lot of visitors and everywhere we went was pretty busy. After walking about for an hour or so we started to walk up a big hill where there seemed to be less people around. This was when I decided to start whinging about how my feet were sore and did we have to keep walking, could we not just turn back... Yep, Frazer has planned to propose at the top of the hill. Did we reach it? Nope, courtesy of whingy Morgan...

We got back to our house and as we walked in the door I was walking in front of Frazer blabbering on about something or other and taking my coat off. Soon went silent though when I turned round to find Frazer down on one knee in our living room (hadn’t even taken his jacket off yet) with the biggest sparkliest pink ring I could imagine in his hand. I won’t lie, I was so much in shock I burst out laughing. I honestly thought he was joking or taking the piss out of me! Luckily he wasn’t and I finally said yes, though he swears he’ll still never let me live that laughter down... oops!

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

Yay! And I remember youre ring from the planning thread, its so pretty, I love coloured stones.

• MrsJamesMrsJames Posts: 405 New bride

Yay, you're doing a report! Can't wait to read all about your day. 

• Tanya128Tanya128 Posts: 1,993

Finally!! been Waiting for this forever!

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

Yayyyyyy !!!

• Emma681Emma681 Posts: 218 New bride

Ah I love the hermitage! Can’t wait to see how your day turned out... x

• I stalked your planning thread towards the end - so glad you are doing a report!  I love your dress and your hair colour is to die for! Can't wait to see how everything came together.

• MoggleMoggle Posts: 556

The date: 23rd September 2017 - so picked as it was September weekend for the majority of our guests meaning a lot of them got the Friday and Monday off as well and made a full weekend of it.

The venue: Altskeith Country House on Loch Ard. I really can’t rave about our venue enough! I found it originally in a wedding magazine and put it straight to the top of my top ten venues list, purely for location originally. It was the first of only two venues we went to visit and I completely loved it from the minute we were shown around. Frazer with his sensible hat on said I couldn’t pick the first venue so we went off to the next one a week later, but it just didn’t come close... We got back into the car and Frazer just turned to me and said there was no point looking at any more because we were just going to compare them all to Altskeith so let’s just go for it. Yaaaas! We had the whole house booked for the Friday and Saturday, which gave us plenty of time to set decorations up for the wedding and also meant the bridesmaids and everyone were in the house for getting ready in the morning which made things so simple!

The house is situated right on Loch Ard up in the middle of the Trossachs, just past Aberfoyle. There are 10 beautifully decorated bedrooms meaning we could have 22 people staying the night before and the night of the wedding which was really handy and meant that all of our immediate family and my maid of honour could stay with us after the wedding without needing to rush off at the end of the night to a nearby hotel. As well as the function suite where we would have the wedding meal and dancing at night, there was a large sitting room with a log fire and tons of super comfy sofas for guests to chill out and chat in, a dining room with a long table where the tea/coffee/wedding cake and evening buffet was served, a large conservatory where a lot of our pals chilled out most of the night, and also a patio beside a little burn and waterfall where were able to have our ceremony. Oh and it had a little pebble beach and Frazer’s favourite thing - the boat house, where you can get in the wee boat and go for a leisurely row about the Loch after the ceremony!

Alison and Yas, the owners, were amazing too. You could really feel all the hard work and love they’ve put into the place. Alison in particular was so involved in organising everything and making sure it all went to plan, that I really think she helped keep me calm with her superb organisation skills - I didn’t need to worry about a thing! If anyone’s considering a wedding in the Trossachs I really can’t recommend Altskeith enough and we’re so glad we chose it for our wedding location. 

• EpiphanyEpiphany Posts: 718

Oooh a report - yipppee! 

• More more!

The Day Before the Wedding

Unsurprisingly I was up at the crack of dawn the day before the wedding, squealing with excitement like it was Christmas or something. Frazer was not amused at being woken up so early... 

I busied myself sorting every tables’ centrepieces, place settings, a diagram of where each person would be sitting (so the place names and things were at the right setting) and a photo of how I wanted it to look (nothing like being prepared!) into a separate box for each table. That took way longer than I thought it would! Around 12ish Frazer started loading the car with as much as he could fit in it, the plan being whatever was left would need to fit into my Chief Bridesmaid Lauren’s car since she was going to be my lift up to the venue. Once he was packed up Frazer set off for Aberfoyle to go do Go Ape with some of his pals who were staying in the town the night before too. After Go Ape he was going to come to Altskeith to drop off the stuff and see his family for a bit before leaving to spend the night in our house with Jessicat and at the pub with his friends.

My sister Alix was getting a lift with me and Lauren so she came over to my house first and though my dad had stopped by earlier on his way out and dropped off some presents from the family, I was under strict instructions from Alix that I wasn’t allowed to open her present till she got there. Turned out it was a lovely photo box with pictures of us on the hen do and when we were kids and also a beautiful pair of wee loveheart pandora stud earrings. Such a lovely present from her! 

Anyway, Lauren soon turned up and we loaded the couple of bags I had left into her car and set off! Yay! My mum had booked us a table at the Beech Tree restaurant which was on the way to Aberfoyle and we had a delicious lunch with my parents, Grandma and siblings and my bridesmaids met us there too. It was such a great, chilled out start to our wedding weekend and I loved just sitting there listening to everyone chatting. There was a wee petting zoo bit too and we fed goats! This was surprisingly exciting when you’re trying not to think about the fact you’ll be getting married in the morning!!

• Wibs77Wibs77 Posts: 414

yay looking forward to reading more

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

Goats are always a good distraction!

Sorry for being so out of touch with updating this ladies, it’s been pretty hectic recently, mostly I was waiting till the professional photos came in too...

Picked this up from the post office at the weekend though!!! So I can finally start properly updating this, yaaaay

Was so excited to see this appear again Moggle! Please do finish it when you can as I cant wait to hear how it went! x

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

Yay!! 

• PottyPotty Posts: 512 New bride

Woooo!!!

Married September 2018, Baby due October 2019.  
  • MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

I wondered if youd abandoned us, yay that youre back to do the report!

• Ooo exciting!  Can't wait to see/ hear more about your day!

Wedding-Eve continued...

After the lovely relaxing meal with my family and bridesmaids, we jumped back in the cars to head up to the venue - a road I’d driven many times in the run up to the wedding. Well, of course there was a road closure along the way that day and me and my bridesmaids got lost for a wee 20 mins!! We phoned my dad (who, might I add, had given us the wrong directions in the first place causing said getting lost) who redirected us and we were back on our way.

it was really starting to spit down by then and there were ominous misty clouds all over the place when we started our drive round the Loch to Altskeith, but I was just so excited I didn’t care about the weather! Here’s some pics to let you see how drab and rainy it was:

And the view from the Bridal Suite once we’d arrived 

It wasn’t boding well for the dry day I’d been hoping for!!

Perhaps more worrying though was that when we arrived at Altskeith, Frazer was nowhere to be seen and neither was his car with the majority of our wedding decor and pretty much everything we needed to get things organised... he also wasn’t answering his phone uuuurgh. he did show up eventually, but we killed time by showing everyone around the house to their rooms and getting my dress in out of my dad’s car and hung up on the curtain rail 

All this while I was also coughing, spluttering, blowing my nose and gulping down honey and lemon about the house like the perfect bride to be should be the day before her wedding.... if you read my planning thread you may have seen that in the week before the wedding I came down with a pretty terrible cold that I just couldn’t shake. As the night went on my voice became hoarser and hoarser to the point where I just couldn’t speak anymore without it coming out as a croak. I was genuinely worried that I wouldn’t be able to say my vows the next day. See what excessive worrying can do to you? Wears down your immune system and then you get stupid colds that make you miserable when you should be having a ball!

• Omg omg omg how did I miss this? Eeek I'm so excited. 

Also, I adore that your wedding-eve included goats. I think this should become a thing...

Aw thanks ladies, so glad you’re all still interested in reading this!

Wedding-eve continued

After all of the family who were staying had arrived and Frazer dropped off the rest of the decorations and did his quick hello’s before driving back home, we decided we would all congregate in the lounge area with the log fire which Alison had kindly put on for us.

The bridesmaids and I popped into the function room for a bit to put up the bunting and the paper garlands - harder than we thought it’d be given we aren’t all the tallest of ladies! But I was so happy with the end result:

After a big lunch we weren’t really hungry and plus being ill had made me not want to eat much, but there were lots of crisps and chocolate and booze so we just had a nibble on things like that while we chatted. I decided to hand out the wedding gifts then rather than in the morning as I thought my mum would get pretty emotional (I was right) so It would be better to get that out the way before she hadn’t all her make up done! I don’t have many pictures of this, but here’s the run down of what I gave:

Bridesmaids - a tote bag that said ‘she had a cocktail in her hand & confetti in her hair’, a cat sleeping mask (I had one too), champagne glass I’d decorated with their names and a glass charm with ‘bridesmaid’ and beads the colour of their dresses, a mini wool dinosaur as their personal ‘Trossachs version of Nessie’, a box of Maltesers, a cupcake and a ‘Bridesmaid’ Dressing gown from Asda (these were actually great!).

Stepmum - a heart shaped ring dish that said ‘Stepmum of the Bride’

Grandma - a heart shaped ring dish that said ‘Grandma of the Bride’

Stepdad - a tartan tie and a wee ceramic plaque that said ‘Not a stepdad, a bonus dad’ 

Dad - personalised cufflinks and a vintage book on birds (this was a personal one as my dad took me birdwatching when I was younger)

Mum - a personalised handkerchief, Mother of the Bride tissue holder and a frame I made with photos of when I was a baby and one from my hen do with a wee saying in it

They went down extremely well, everyone loved them and my mum had a proper greet, but a happy cry obviously! Frazer had also got the bridesmaids a box of chocolates each for helping me with the wedding planning which I thought was nice of him.

My Mum wanted to give me her present too which was in two parts - there was a night before present which was a ‘Bride to Be’ dressing gown and Slippers from Asda in a sparkly ‘Bride’ tote bag, and my other present was a wicker basket with a ‘Morgan’s Memories’ scrapbook my mum had made with photos and my bridesmaids and family had written nice little things in, a little Yankee wedding day candle, my garter, a beautiful silky ‘Mrs MacLeod’ bride dressing gown for the morning with the date and venue on it too, and a little book of letters that my family had written to me (more on that later). It was so lovely and I couldn’t believe how much love and effort my mum had put into everything, it was just overwhelming.

After presents, I went upstairs for a shower to wash my hair in preparation for the morning while everyone else got changed into our jammies (and dressing gowns for the bridesmaids and me). I admittedly took aaaaages and nearly flooded the bathroom from the shower as well... but I emerged clean and refreshed and wemt downstairs again where we all topped up our drinks and got into teams for a pub quiz game! It was actually really good fun, though it did get quite heated - my chief bridesmaid is very competitive!

By the time we finished it was about 10:30-11ish, I still wasn’t feeling great and decided to go to bed. The bridesmaids did the same but my mum and everyone else stayed up late (including my dad and Frazer’s Dad who’d decided to go to the pub and didn’t stoat back home till god knows when!) drinking and playing the music really loud. I had to come down and get them to turn it down again because my room was directly above the lounge and I couldn’t sleep for the bass! That was probably the only time I’d felt stressed out all day.

I hopped back up to bed, getting all cosy in the fancy bridal suite with the super comfy bedding and read my letters from my family. They wrote such lovely things and I was really touched by it all. The best one had to be from my little brother who was 10 the day after the wedding:

What a cutie.

I had some more honey and lemon, cold and flu tablets and then some Nytol to help me sleep - this worked wonders and I was out like a light within half an hour and slept right through till 7am!

At which point I woke up thinking YAAAAAAY I’M GETTING MARRIED TODAY!!!

Woohoo so excited for this! 

Wedding morning

Up I got, soon realising that pretty much everyone else were still in their beds! I was delighted to find that my throat, though not back to normal yet, was at least better enough to get me through my vows - success. When I got downstairs I will admit I had a mini strop... luckily there wasn’t anyone around to witness it. There were just glasses and rubbish all over the table from the night before that no one had thought the put away or in the bin, so of course I did it myself in a huff. My Stepmum came into the room (her and my dad had been for a wee walk along the Loch) and must have sensed me stressing as she tried to help me and then I calmed down again. 

I decided fresh air was the best idea for a start to the day, so I took the 2 ‘MacLeod Wedding this way’ arrows out to the front of the house so I could position them the way I wanted. It was glorious out there by myself. The rain had stopped and the sun was beautiful over the Loch. Still cloudy and misty, but at least it was dry! Plus, there were a group of ducks just waddling about the garden which totally cheered me up. Thank god no one looked out the window to see me quacking away to them... I took the opportunity to take a wee ‘I’m getting married here today selfie on my way back to the house too.

All calm and excited at the same time, I sauntered back to the house to get back into my Bride pyjamas and get my breakfast of croissants down my gullet before the champagne came out. 

Wedding Morning continued...

Once everyone was up, we congregated in the dining room for our breakfast of burnt toast, croissants and irn bru. It was delightful! Really chilled out, just the way I wanted it to be.

The hairdresser arrived not long after and started to work on curling everyone's hair, while the makeup artists also turned up and those who weren't getting their hair done upstairs, got their makeup done down in the dining room where the light was better. We all had a cheeky wee champagne to get us in the wedding mood, which was lovely. I absolutely spent most of the morning swanning about in my dressing gown and slippers with my glass of champagne, just going from room to room nosying at what everyone else was up to. Our photographer, Ewa Labuda (an absolute star - if anyone in the Scotland area is looking for a wedding photographer, I cannot recommend her enough), was also jumping about taking pictures of the venue and the bridal prep.

I ended up shut in the kitchen for 10 minutes at one point as Frazer had turned up with some things I had forgotten (of course), and to drop off my wedding morning present from him. I'd left Frazer his presents at home as he stayed in our house the night before - I got him puzzle piece cufflinks, 'Property of the Bride' boxers and a wee pebble with our initials on it because he's my penguin  I hadn't actually expected him to think to get me anything, so it was a pleasant surprise and was actually really lovely! 

He put all of my gifts in a pretty box and in it was a 'Just Maui'd' vest top for me to wear on honeymoon, a pair of Raybans for honeymoon, a big tube of factor 50 sunscreen (my hair colour might not be naturally red, but I’ve definitely got the skin tone of your typical redhead!), a bottle of Misty Isle gin (from Skye, where Frazer's family came from way, way back) and a cute little book about all the reasons he's excited to marry me. What an absolute darling my husband is... I don't have any pictures of me opening it, because I got all excited and just opened it without my mum and everyone there. But I do have a picture of the box with my wedding shoes on it taken later on by Ewa:

By this point it was spitting a bit outside and we were deliberating over whether we'd be able to have the wedding outside after all. Just in case though, we had a wee practice for the timings and things like that with the Bridesmaids and my brother Ethan who was going down the aisle in front of my Dad and I with his sign:

• Ahhh all looks lovely! Xx

I promise I will get my act together and crack on with my report... that’s my New Years resolution haha. 

I have noticed though that when I’ve uploaded my professional photos some of them dont seem to be appearing the way that I see them in my pictures folder on the computer... not sure if they’re not the right format or something (can you tell I’m a complete tech-idiot?). If anyone knows what to do to fix it, your advice would be greatly appreciated 

• Loving the report Moggle! I can't wait to read/look at the rest 

As a side note, Ewa was our second shooter, and she was fantastic for us too!

Wedding morning continued...

I forgot to note earlier, that when I got back from my wee walk outside in the morning I went for my shower - careful to avoid getting my hair wet and also not to flood the bathroom this time. For my wedding day perfume I went the tried and tested bridal favourite of Jo Malone route and layered Velvet Rose & Oud with Blackberry & Bay. I absolutely laaaaathered myself in Blackberry & Bay body lotion and then sprayed myself with Velvet Rose & Oud and Blackberry & Bay perfume. I found the Velvet Rose & Oud one quite rich, which is why I went for Blackberry & Bay for the body lotion. They weren't the usual kind of scents I go for - typically a Mark Jacobs Daisy kinda girl - but when I tried them in the Jo Malone store I felt they smelt very autumnal together which was the kind of vibe I was going for on the day.

Anyway, back to the bridal prep...

While everyone else was getting their makeup done or refilling their champagne glasses, I had been upstairs getting my hair curled. Just as I came downstairs our florist turned up with the flowers and buttonholes - perfect timing! Jennifer, our poor florist hadn't had much to go on in terms of a brief, all I knew was that I wanted them to be autumnal and fit in with the bridesmaids dresses and also Frazer's kilt. Oh my goodness, she went over and above anything I could've hoped for. The bouquets were bright and beautiful and I completely loved them! So our florist is another supplier I would highly recommend - Wildflower Florist based in Paisley. 

We'd decided early on that we were only going to have flowers for the bouquest and buttonholes, as our budget didn't quite stretch to any elaborate ceremony flowers or table decorations. However, on the day Alison had suggested we use the arbor they have which the bride who got married on the Thursday had decorated with beautiful roses and hydrangea which she hadn't been able to take home with her as she lived down south. It seemed such a waste to not use it as they really looked lovely, so we did! From looking at Instagram after the wedding, loads of our guests took their pictures with it so that was  success. A nice extra we wouldn't have otherwise been able to have. We ended up leaving our paper heart garlands up in the function suite and the bride after us was able to use them, so I really liked that Altskeith recycled like that to give other couples a little something they wouldn't have otherwise.

Next it was my turn to get my makeup done - a daunting experience! I typically don't wear a ton of makeup and definitely not fake eyelashes, so I was a little worried that I would look silly. But I loved my bridal look! I didn't want anything too heavy and my make up artist delivered exactly what I wanted. We were in the dining room as mentioned earlier, because the light in here was better than anywhere else in the house, and I was quite calm and relaxed... until Alison came in and said Frazer was walking up the driveway!! Waaaah, where had the time gone?! Luckily, most of my makeup was done, except my lips, so we all quickly ran upstairs and finished off in one of the bedrooms.

After my lips were done, I popped my earrings in - just little rose gold studs, two hearts, an M and an F - and chilled out again (with the help of a wee gin, tonic and berries courtesy of Lauren). The bridesmaids had mostly had their hair finished and were getting into their dresses. I had butterflies in my tummy now as I could hear Frazer, his ushers and some of the guests arriving downstairs now! Eeeek! My throat had started to croak again too (boo hiss) so I had a quick squirt of honey (which Ewa managed to catch a pic of haha) and went to get my hair finished.

I had went to get my nails done on the Thursday before the wedding too, something I've never had done before! I went for gel nails and decided to buck tradition and didn't go for either a french manicure or something subtle and sparkly in a nude colour... I went for bright pink ombre. Yeah. Like Barbie-esque pink. Really don't know what came over me... but I loved them anyway!