Open and honest report of our September wedding

Hi,

I haven't been on here for a while..... post wedding blues lol!

I wanted to write a report about our wedding, the lead up to it, during and after. I'm hoping I may be able to help others, reassure people and generally provide a bit of realistic guidance as I'm well aware of how crazy weddings can be!!!

THE PROPOSAL - Sept 2016

I was proposed to in Disneys Magic Kingdom in Florida. IMHO you can't get much better than that, due to this, I was ken to have an element of Disney in our wedding without being trashy. 

THE VENUE

We started looking at venues as soon as we got home. My family live in Leeds whilst we live in Newcastle so it was important to me for my family to be able to stay over. I've also been to weddings recently where there were lots of different rooms. I didn't want guests to be unsocial and seperated and I didn't want people to have to walk far! We didn't want the typical big country house nor did we want anything religious. This helped us narrow down venues very quickly and we had a short list of 3 - Le Petit Chateau in Northumberland, Allerton Castle and Cartlon Towers in Yorkshire. The two yorkshire ones were really gothic, so not the "typical" place. 

We looked around all 3. Allerton Castle was too restictive for us - rules on shoes etc! Carlton Towers was amazing but exceptionally expensive, Le Petit Chateau ticked all the boxes!

We are both shift workers and our family/friends tend to be too, so having a wedding on a uesday not only saved us £15k!!!!! Our family and friends were grateful for that too.

WEDDING PARTY

On of my biggest bit of advice would be to seriously think who you want to be in your wedding party!!!!! I was very very let down by 2 by 2 bridesmaids - which I shall discuss later!

THEME

We didn't really have a theme. We just wanted bright and fun. We didn't feel we had to conform to the standard wedding rules. We literally would just se something we liked and went for it. It made our lives alot easier when planning as we didn't have to make things "fit"and everything we got seemed to have a purpose. I managed to sneak some Disney in by using Disney font decals on the place names and the gifts for the wedding party.

DRESS

I went dress shopping quite early on - I had bought it 10 months before th wedding. what I do regret is going so early and not going to more shops. Whilst i LOVED my dress and genuinly don't think I could have chosen better, I just loved the dress shopping experience and wished I'd dragged it out! I bought my dress from House of Bellas in Newcastle and its a Sincerity dress. My SIL (MOH) cried when I put it on so I just knew. Of course, I got the dress doubt quite a bit but thats something I think everyone must feel. When planning weddings your constantly bombarded with pictures of more dresses. But I would say to anyone experiencing the doubt, there is a reason you chose it, don't loose sight of that. When my dress arrived and I went for a fitting, I was so glad I hadn't changed my mind. I burst into tears lol!

• emma531emma531 Posts: 216

ACCESSORIES

I went completely against the norm with my accessories for the day! I really struggled to find shoes I liked. I'm not a court shoe kind of person and I was also sick of people telling me not to wear heels. Listen to your heart and get what YOU want.... I got boots!

I also opted for gloves! I bought them for a pound off Amazon and was so scared I would get laughed at. I kept them under wraps until I had a dress fitting then I showed my mum and only my mum who loved them! So I took them on the day of the wedding still not convinced I wouldn't get laughed at so I sneakily put them on, the make up artist was the 1st to see them and she loved them. Then the photographer loved them too! So gloves it was!

imageimage

Whilst the wedding planning was coming along nicely, I had my hen doo to think about. My bridesmaid and one of my longest friends was supposed to be organinsing it... which she did, kind of!

Off to Benidorm we went. Unfortunately, she couldn't quite be happy for me and turned into someone I barely recognised. She was rude to my family and friends (whinging about them despite us loosing our grandad/dad the week before), she said she couldnt afford to come out for a meal even though she spent the entire day drinking in bars we were supposed to go to together. She said she wasn't happy about just sitting "reading a book" on the beach. She clearly wasn't with us ont eh beach as we certainly wern't sitting reading a book! So when we got home, she didn't even say bye to me at the airport! I tried to get her to speak to me in person to sort things out and to this day, we havent spoken since. Needless to say, she didn't come to my wedding! 

Lesson there...... seriously think about who you want at your wedding!!!! I had another friend who was supposed to be a bridesmaid along wither her 13yr daughter but she told me she was trekking in china for charity when it was the wedding. I was gutted but obvs couldn't change that! Throughout the year, I kept trying to see her but she would make excuses. She then told me around 2 months before the wedding she was no longer going to China so I snt her a wedding invite. Surely she wouldn't still expect to be a bridesmaid??!! She told me her daughter wasn't coming but asked to bring her boyfriend. I agreed and paid an extra £70 for him to come. I asked if she wanted me to reserve a room at the hotel and she said yes, she would pay me on the day. Great....... Until she didn't turn up to the wedding!!!! I was LIVID!!!!! Not only didn I waste the hotel money and the boyfriend money, my husbands friends girlfriend stayed in the close by hotel all day as she was only invited to the night time, so she could have taken their place!!!

So I was down to 2 bridesmaids and to be honest, couldn't have been happier. I don't know what I would have done without them and they really showed me what true friends are!

THE DETAILS

We chose to have a buffet for the wedding breakfast - a decision I couldn't recommend more! It was a hot buffet which had all the formalities of a sitty down meal yet was far far cheaper, our guests could eat what they fancied and they could even go for seconds lol. Our guests were over the moon with the food :)

We had a sax player to play my aisle songs. She was AMAZING!!!!! Once again, not quite the norm. She didn't play anything traditional, instead I asked her to improvise some sax over my fave house songs - Fade - Solu music ft Kimblee for my entrance song. Jubel for the signing of the register and To be in love - MAW ft India for the exit song. I'm pretty sure we're the only ones to do that! Deffo something to remember ! She then stayed for the drinks reception and also a couple of hours with  the DJ for the evening. Easily one of my fave bits of the wedding! She was called "Girl on Sax" in case anyone is wondering lol.

CAKE my SIL made our cake. and wow, what a cake!!!!!!! we kept with wanting all things bright and quite liked art deco style cakes so showed her a few pinterest ideas. She made us the best cake I've ever seen at a wedding! It wasn't the typical white/gold/flowery cake. It was bright/vibrant/slightly obscure. And it tasted amazing! The bottom was a fake layer, then fruit cake then lemon on top. It went down a treat!

Hair and Make up Keping with the family theme, my brother did my hair. He's an extremely talented stylist so I've always wanted him to do my wedding hair. I didn't want an updo (depite being told to have one) so he jut made it work. My make up was by a local make up artist I found on fb. She was really brilliant! She also did my bridesmaids hair.

imageimageimageimageimage

• AwhelenqtAwhelenqt Posts: 792 New bride

I am so so beyond jealous. Petite chateau is my dream venue it is my #1 choice but we just can't afford it even midweek!

Funnily enough we live in Leeds but his family are in Northumberland and he grew up there! 

Also the colours are just amazing!!!

Extra bits

We looked into magicians, photo booths etc, all the extra bits and bobs but tbh, our money ran out! We instead opted to keep the sax player on and to make our own photo booth. We bought a load of props (wigs, glow sticks, blow up guitars et) from amazon, bough a instax mini film camera and a bought a wire manequin. (Husbands idea!) The props went down a treat, everyone was all over the dancefloor wearing various bits and playing with the blow up stuff lol! Great idea!

imageimage

So, thats the main bits of our wedding!

My words of adivce now haha!

Yes, it is just one day but....hopefully it will be the only day!!!! So don't worry too much about the fact they cost a lot, just don't stretch too far. Its very VERY easy to get swollowed up in all of the excitement and spend a fortune but at the end of the day, people go to a wedding to see you marry the love of your life, not to see a magician. as long as there's bits and bobs to keep people entertained when your getting your photos(good playlist/props etc) don't worry!

Do what YOU want to do, if people arnt happy about it, take it as a blessing because it means you get to know the real person. There was hell on when I said I wanted my dad to come (massive family fued!) but I can't say how glad I am that I had him and my step mum there, I can't believe I even contemplated them not coming. and you know what? I surprised everyone by putting my foot down and everyone actually behaved!!!

As stated before - be careful who you invite and please please... don't pay for peoples hotel rooms! Nightmare!!!

Don't think that just because your iddeas don't look like they do in the magazines, don't be put off. If I had listened to the people putting their oars in and/or the magazines, i wouldnt have had my boots and gloves (which he loved!) we wouldnt have had our GORGEOUS flowers, our cake would have just got lost and I wouldn't have had my dream aisle song!

Basically what I'm saying is, a wedding doesnt have to cost the earth (there are deals to be had!), use your imagination abit. Listen to your heart. Don't be scared to think outside the box. I'm glad we did what we wanted and as a result, I genuinly feel our wedding reflected us perfectly and I know I'm bias but my god.... it was AWESOME!!!!!

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Awhelenqt wrote (see post):

I am so so beyond jealous. Petite chateau is my dream venue it is my #1 choice but we just can't afford it even midweek!

Funnily enough we live in Leeds but his family are in Northumberland and he grew up there! 

Hi!

Yes, it's quite expensive! I couldn't believe how much more it was to get married on a weekend!! Have you looked into having a buffet instead of a 3 course meal? Our buffet was £25pp whereas the 3 courser was £50pp for the basic one! And honestly, the buffet had all the same formalities as a 3 courser (but better haha!)

• AwhelenqtAwhelenqt Posts: 792 New bride
    emma531 wrote (see post):
    Awhelenqt wrote (see post):

Hi!

Yes, it's quite expensive! I couldn't believe how much more it was to get married on a weekend!! Have you looked into having a buffet instead of a 3 course meal? Our buffet was £25pp whereas the 3 courser was £50pp for the basic one! And honestly, the buffet had all the same formalities as a 3 courser (but better haha!)

Nah we have a really specific food plan! It's ok we're getting married near Matfen now at the high house Farm brewery :) 

• I love your gloves!! loooove them! I want gloves too, and will be buying a pair from amazon right after I have typed this!

I also love your boots! I saw a pair just like this in a wedding picture years and years ago and always dreamed of having a pair but have never been able to find any just like it. I've now decided to go tea length so I guess they won't really go. Please can I see a closer pic?

you look absolutely amazing xx

P.S I personally don't think sit-down three course dinners are worth it. We are having afternoon tea at £15pp :)

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

Your wedding looks incredible and it's always great to have advice from brides who have come through the other side. 

In the early stages of our planning, I was keen to please EVERYONE and having come to terms that the people who want to be there will be there no matter what and we can have our personality shine through. YOUR GLOVES LOOKED ACE!

Hi, thanks for all the glove love lol! Best pound I spent!!

Balliebride - the boots are from a website called House of Elliott. They have loads of different types of shoes/boots with the gorgeous lace detail. And they are soooo comfy too!

Sian91 - best way to be. People can be so opinionated but at the end of the day, you've only yourself and h2b to please :)

Here's some more of the boots xx

imageimage

• Do you have a link to your gloves by any chance? 

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,189 New bride

Wow stunning photos, love your dress 😍

• I love love love them!

Actually considering ditching tea-length just to have them lol!

• Elz2017Elz2017 Posts: 316

Wow, brilliant report! And I'm another who LOVES your gloves and boots - really fabulous, nice one.

I have a question - how did your buffet work in terms of logistics? Did you spread it out so people weren't queuing? How did you stop it being a scrum? We're doing the same and I'm mildly (lots) worried!

Elz2017 wrote (see post):

Wow, brilliant report! And I'm another who LOVES your gloves and boots - really fabulous, nice one.

I have a question - how did your buffet work in terms of logistics? Did you spread it out so people weren't queuing? How did you stop it being a scrum? We're doing the same and I'm mildly (lots) worried!

The buffet worked really well, everything was just like a sitty down meal. We had all the usual formalities (table plan, seating chart, top table, speeches etc) The only difference was the food. The master of ceremonies would call out a table at a time to go to the buffet. That way there wasn't a massive rush and it all remained very organised and calm. I found it worked really well because the fussy eaters got to be as fussy as they wanted, the greedy ones got to have as much as they wanted and the ones that like bits of everything (me) got to have bits of everything lol! 

If I had my time again, I'd go for the buffet every time!

Afterallthistime wrote (see post):

Do you have a link to your gloves by any chance? 

Hi

I've tried to find them again for you, there's a few sellers on Amazon that have them. Mine were deffo a pound but they seem to have gone up to a whopping £1.99 lol!

Here's a link https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01264D360/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1522738278&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=wedding+gloves&dpPl=1&dpID=51ilfgIRdpL&ref=plSrch

I'll try and find the exact seller, but these are the same gloves x

BallieBride wrote (see post):

I love love love them!

Actually considering ditching tea-length just to have them lol!

Haha, tempting! The power of the boots lol! In fairness, people still talk about them now, so deffo a good choice!x

• Elz2017Elz2017 Posts: 316
    emma531 wrote (see post):
    Elz2017 wrote (see post):

The buffet worked really well, everything was just like a sitty down meal. We had all the usual formalities (table plan, seating chart, top table, speeches etc) The only difference was the food. The master of ceremonies would call out a table at a time to go to the buffet. That way there wasn't a massive rush and it all remained very organised and calm. I found it worked really well because the fussy eaters got to be as fussy as they wanted, the greedy ones got to have as much as they wanted and the ones that like bits of everything (me) got to have bits of everything lol! 

If I had my time again, I'd go for the buffet every time!

Thanks so much - that gives me an idea of how I can organise ours! Have no master of ceremonies but do have some very loud friends... :-) Yeah, we went for a buffet so we could basically get all our favourite foods on it - and our caterer said that it does work best for large numbers of people but I didn't believe him til now. 

• ruthie1979ruthie1979 Posts: 794

LOVE your report - thank you for your honesty too - I do think we get wrapped up in what we "think/perceive" should be the perfect wedding. Yours looked fabulous xxx

• emma531 wrote (see post):
    Afterallthistime wrote (see post):

Do you have a link to your gloves by any chance? 

Hi

I've tried to find them again for you, there's a few sellers on Amazon that have them. Mine were deffo a pound but they seem to have gone up to a whopping £1.99 lol!

Here's a link https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01264D360/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1522738278&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=wedding+gloves&dpPl=1&dpID=51ilfgIRdpL&ref=plSrch

I'll try and find the exact seller, but these are the same gloves x

Thank you!!! :) x

ruthie1979 wrote (see post):

LOVE your report - thank you for your honesty too - I do think we get wrapped up in what we "think/perceive" should be the perfect wedding. Yours looked fabulous xxx

Ruthie1979 I was terrible at 1st, getting so wrapped up with everyone else's ideas. Luckily my husband is very much the opposite way and will do the very opposite lol! This rubbed off on me which was great as we ended up having everything we wanted and regretting very little 😀 x

• New to thisNew to this Posts: 226 New bride

Beautiful! 

my sister got married here in February!! 

This is my daughter in front of the beautiful fire place. 

Such a lovely venue ! 

New to this wrote (see post):

Beautiful! 

my sister got married here in February!! 

This is my daughter in front of the beautiful fire place. 

Such a lovely venue ! 

Aw bless her, what a lush photo!! X

• ducklingduckling Posts: 116 New bride

Ahh Emma, thanks for writing this up, your wedding looks amazing! Im going to one at LPC later this year, quite excited to look around :) Totally agree on doing your own thing too!

Love that there’s so many Northumberland brides on this page.

• DandelionBlueDandelionBlue Posts: 1,075 New bride

We visited Le Petit Chateau when we were on the hunt for a venue. I loved it. It definitely has a vibe of Disney princess. Sadly my fiancee didn't. Although we nearly booked it's sister venue Newton Hall.

Thanks for encouraging us to make our wedding Our own! It's so good to hear that.

Your gloves and boots are incredible.

• Love the boots. I see your wedding made it onto their website!

• Sooo much love for your whole wedding - and especially the boots! You can really tell that you two put your stamp on this and I just love that personal touches everywhere. Thanks for the lovely report! (But again: OMG, the boots are such an amazing idea!)