Our Spring Wedding with A Mixed Up Theme 25.05.2018 - THE REPORT!!

Good evening!! I thought I may as well start my report!! Will try and make it as interesting as possible!!

When and where we met:

11th November 2015. Technically we met on a well known online dating website but our first date was a well known coffee shop even though neither of us like coffee!

Our engagement and wedding planning:

We officially got engaged on my 30th birthday 2016 but we'd decided we were going to get married New Years Day 2016. We booked our venue and set the date the following month I think. So we spent about 18 months planning.

When and where we got married:

25th May 2018 at 4:30pm at Salmestone Grange, Margate, Kent.

The Wedding Party:

Bridesmaids: R who I've known for just over 16 years, we met at school and bonded over music and the fact I'd been to Reading festival. She thought I was cool haha!! (Not!!) N who I've known about 5 years. We went to a thing called Bootycamp together and just clicked and became close.

Best man: B who is my husband's nephew. M doesn't have any really close friends so his mum suggested his oldest nephew. B had only just turned 20 three days before the wedding but he acts a lot older (in a good way). He really stood up and looked after Mike.

Ushers: My brothers N and Mt and our best man's brother, C.

Our parents, my mum A, dad Mc, step mum S, M's mum and dad D and G.

• MrsBeehanMrsBeehan Posts: 378 New bride

Monday 21st May

I had an appointment with my beautician to have some waxing done. I wanted to be waxed so I had one thing less to worry about the night before the wedding. I had it done on the Monday as you have to give it at least 24 hours before having a spray tan and I wanted to give my body time to recover from being waxed. I wanted the spray tan done on the Wednesday to give it time to calm done before Friday (wedding day!!).

After that we went to get our reading printed on a nice bit of A5 card for my step mum to read. We need not have done this as she had already printed it nicely but at least it was there just in case. 

Then I cleaned my bedroom obsessively. I'd already done it on Friday but I wanted to make sure it was completely dust free before getting my dress Wednesday.

My mum had gone to Essex to get my auntie so I had a shower to get all the horrible wax reminants off whilst I waited for them to get back. My auntie was bringing her dog Bella and we had organised for a friend to look after her as she doesn't get on with our cats. So once they arrived we took Bella to my friend's and helped settle her in. Then we got McDonald's and chilled.

Bit boring......sorry!!

• MrsTraceyMrsTracey Posts: 837 New bride

Ooh yay! Can’t wait to read more :) 

• Elz2017Elz2017 Posts: 316

Love a report - and love the pre-wedding McDonalds!! More please! 

Tuesday 22nd May

We didn't do much wedding related stuff on the Tuesday. We planned a day off to try and have some normality. I think we may have gone to the shops (it's hard to remember everything, the week went by in a blur!) and then went to see some friends and chilled. It was great as the Monday night I couldn't sleep as I had so much whirling through my mind so just having a day to chill was lovely.

I'd highly recommend some time to yourself or time together doing non wedding related stuff as it can get a bit intense. It's easy to focus a lot on the wedding day and forget normality, we all do it but I think it's a good idea to do something normal. We actually went to our Viking reenactment group which we do every Tuesday (saddos!!) but it brought us down to earth for a couple of hours (as much as pretending to be a Viking can!). 

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

Look forward to reading more of your report, you are definitely right about trying to factor in some down time in the build up to the wedding. 

Wednesday 23rd May

Wednesday was dress collecting day!! My mum parked on the pavement outside so we didn't have to take her (my dress) too far. We had been in to try her on two weeks earlier and the lady had shown my mum how to lace her up. The lady advised my mum to film so she could refer to it when the day arrived which is a great idea and I would recommend anyone who is having a lace up dress to do the same, it's not as easy to lace as you think!!! 

My dress is Darlene by Rebecca Ingram who works with Maggie Sottero. She was hanging there ready to be popped in her carrier. The lady showed us how to pack her away as we would do this the following day when we took her to the venue. We popped her in the car and took her home very carefully like we had the crown jewels!! Once home she went into my bedroom where we got her out of the carrier like advised so she wouldn't get scrunched up. I was terrified to go near her. It's funny how you treat your dress before the wedding. It's the most important thing and you dread it falling down or anything. 

Then I went to M's house where I exfoliated and showered ready for my spray tan (M didn't move in officially with me and my mum until after the wedding but he stayed all the time and I stayed at his). The reason I went there is that I wanted M to exfoliate my back properly but he couldn't come to mine as my dress was there! Luckily his mum is understanding! I exfoliated a few times before the spray tan as it goes on better and doesn't go as patchy when it starts to come off.

Then we sorted through the wedding bits that were at M's house and took them downstairs ready to be loaded in the car the following morning. M's mum was a star as usual and washed all the hurricane jar/vases as they looked a bit cloudy. I was stressing about time!! 

Once that was done it was pretty much time to go for my spray tan. Getting my wedding dress and going for a spray on the same day is not the best plan but it was fine! Not that I had the spray tan done in the same room, she has a salon at her house. But after, when I got home I was terrified to go in my room in case a freak accident happened and I got tan all over my dress!! It was fine in the end.

After my spray tan I didn't have much to do as I couldn't really go out. I finalised the instructions for the venue and printed them and wrote some bridesmaids cards. I think I had wrapped the presents either Monday or Tuesday. Watched a few films and chilled. Then once I had 'developed' for 6 hours I had a lovely scrub in the shower and went to bed!!

• VegasLouVegasLou Posts: 820 New bride

Yay, I love a wedding report. I’d have been like that if I’d had a spray tan and had to go near my dress! 

Thursday 24th May

Thursday was a very busy day!! I was up about 6, stripped my bed as I wanted clean sheets ready for my last night as a Miss! I got ready and got everything ready to take to the venue. I also made M a list of things he needed to remember to take to the venue Thursday and Friday including the rings and things to give the best man and ushers. M and his mum arrived, they had already loaded their car but had some space left. We loaded the cars and off we went, we were at the venue for 9:15. We had managed to get everything in apart from the big pallet. I didn't want everything to be rested on the pallet in case it got scratched. The little one squeezed in but didn't have anything against it.

We unloaded everything at the venue and went through it all with lovely Jane. I gave her my bridezilla instructions haha. We couldn't find the sweets we'd got but we just thought we'd probably left them at home. So off we went to get the other pallet and search for the sweets. Well.......the sweets were no where to be seen!!! I had a little meltdown, I knew they had to be somewhere, then I was worried someone had eaten them! I came to the conclusion they must be in a bag at the venue. So we loaded the big pallet and off we went back to the venue.

We searched everything and finally found them!! This is what weddings do to you, make you so stressed you get all muddled!!! 

I took M home and then it was pamper time!! I went to my hairdresser and for the next 2 hours she highlighted and cut my hair, tinted my eyelashes and gelled my nails and toes. It was lovely just chilling. I loved my lashes, they're still tinted now, means I don't need to wear mascara as much which is nice. Normally if I don't wear mascara I get asked if I'm tired haha!!

It was about 1:45/2pm by that point so I went home. We packed a few things we wanted to leave in the accommodation where we would be getting ready. We also decided to leave my dress and mum and auntie's dress there so we packed them away ready and loaded everything in the car again! Off we went to the venue for our rehearsal! 

Firstly we unloaded our dresses and other bits and hung them and made sure my dress was not scrunched. Then we met my dad, step mum, M, his mum and dad, best man, his sister and girlfriend and my bridesmaid N. We went to the chapel and eventually Brother Damien, our priest, met us. We went through everything and had a little practice. It was really funny BUT as soon as I was in that chapel my legs went to jelly!!! I was so nervous!!!! It was good to practice though.

On my thread I said about my step mum being ill. She wasn't sure she would make the wedding but low and behold she did! As soon as she saw me she started crying!!! Bless her. She's an emotional person anyway but the fact she still isn't 100% and didn't think she'd make it just added to her emotions! We had asked her to do a reading if she felt up to it and she said she would. So she practiced reading in front of us 10 and cried through the whole thing <3 but it was good to practice.

After we went back to my house and had tea/coffee and cakes. My dad and step mum didn't join us as they were tired after the journey. I wanted to give them their presents but it could wait until the next day. My uncle came over as well which was lovely.

Once everyone had gone I made up my bed and had some marmalade on toast (yum!). Then once everyone had done in the shower I got in and shaved me pits ;) As my hairdresser had washed, dried and straightened my hair I didn't have to worry which was great :) then I got into my lovely clean bed, put a film on and wrote a letter to M :) I managed to get to sleep about 11:30 I think!

• MrsThimboMrsThimbo Posts: 222

I’m not sure if I ever commented on your thread but I read it a lot! So excited to see you are doing a report... & Congratulations on becoming a Mrs! 😊

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

Massive congrats- really looking forward to seeing all the photos, especially of your DIY bits! Hope you’re loving married life.

Collected our wedding pictures usb this morning from the post office so I can continue my report as I can upload the pics!! We have seen them but weren't able to share them etc.

Next instalment on it's way!!

• GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 1,311 New bride

Yay!!

Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.
    Our report: A fun, classic May day in navy and blush
    My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
  • Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride
    MrsBeehan wrote (see post):

Collected our wedding pictures usb this morning from the post office so I can continue my report as I can upload the pics!! We have seen them but weren't able to share them etc.

Next instalment on it's way!!

Eeek! Cant' wait!

How cute is this!!

The little bag our USB was in.

And the USB <3 All of our wedding pictures are on the little thing!!

• Excited to read more and see your pictures!!

• ruthie1979ruthie1979 Posts: 794

YAYYY - can't wait to read more & made me chuckle about the fake tan worries with the dress - I would be exactly the same xxx

Friday 25th May (aka. WEDDING DAY!!!!!)

6am-11:30am

I'm not sure exactly what time I woke up, probably about 6/6:30am. My mum came in and had brought me a special card and present:

It was a beautiful pearl bracelet <3 I love it so much and wore it on the day. This was the only time I cried all day! Sorry to disappoint ladies but there were no tears during the ceremony!! I was too happy and smiling ALL the time, but we'll get to that :) So I read the card and opened the pressie and we had a little chat. Then she went to make me a cup of tea.

Before I went to sleep I'd written Mike a letter in rough and that morning I copied it to the card I'd got for him. It was personalised. Will add a picture if I find it. Then I got my special 'Mrs Beehan' slippers on:

and went downstairs to see my auntie. My mum had gone off to have her hair done.

We chilled for a bit then about 8:45am I helped my auntie to have a shower and put some nice body cream on. I'm a carer and so things like that don't bother me. She's disabled so finds it difficult to do things. I wanted her to feel nice.

About 9:30am M's mum and best man arrived to give me my presents:

imageimage

from M and take my present and card for him and our oversight bag for the wedding night hotel. They dropped it off for us. 

More pearls!! Gorgeous pearl drop earrings with little diamonds and another pearl bracelet! Was well and truly spoiled!! I wore both pearl bracelets. 

Then not long after my bridesmaid R arrived with good old McDonald's breakfast!!

Friday 25th May (aka. WEDDING DAY!!!!!) (Cont.)

6am-11:30am (Cont.)

(She had her polaroid camera with her). She had also bought me a special present as well as a wedding present for M and I. So I opened the special present. It was a lovely frame with a picture of us from my hen do :) Which I can't find :( but sure it'll turn up. She also brought some 'bride-to-be' bunting which I put up. I had some orange juice out of my special 'Mrs Beehan' glass:

The morning was flying by! We had a natter and about 10:30/10:45am I went for a quick shower and got everything together I wanted to take. I'm so pleased we took our dresses as it was one things less to worry about. We loaded up the car and set off for the venue about 11:30am. After a quick stop at ASDA (other shops are available!) we got to the venue! Unloaded our stuff and I went in to let them know we were there.

The font keeps changing size, not sure why but it's driving me mad as I like everything to be neat and tidy!!! Anyway it'll do!

Friday 25th May (aka. WEDDING DAY!!!!!)

12noon - 3:45pm

My hairdresser was already waiting for us when we arrived. She helped us unpack a few bits bless her. Mum had made some rolls and got some snacks and loads of prosecco which we put in the fridge. She blowdried my auntie's hair first which looked beautiful:

Then we went up to the bedroom where my hairdresser transformed my hair :) You can kind of see it here:

I had like a messy bun to the left and a braid.

My bridesmaid R was next and whilst she was having hers done I glanced out the window. I noticed that a few candles had been put where I didn't intend them to be. I always thought I'd be a relaxed bride but I started to worry that nothing was set up how we wanted it. I spoke to my bridesmaid R and she tried to find someone with no luck. So I went over and eventually found Daryl, the chap who was setting everything up for us. He didn't have the pictures and guide that I had painstakingly printed out (argh!!). Eventually he looked in a folder and found them *sigh* He hadn't set it up exactly as we intended but it did look good. I swapped a few things and he did change it a bit.

When I got back I wandered around the apartment a bit and tried to eat. I also drank some prosecco!! Then my hairdresser checked my hair again and put in my haircomb and veil. After that I wandered around a bit more and our flowers arrived! Here is my bouquet:

And from a different angle:

This shows my 'something old'. I didn't write about my 'Something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue' in my planning thread, I forgot. So here it is......

My something old was a locket with a lock of my dog's fur in it. He was really old and we lost him just under 2 months before the wedding. Luckily I'd chopped a bit of his fur before we lost him as I always intended it as my something old. It also meant part of him was at our wedding. Unfortunately not long after the ceremony I lost the lock of fur :( But I like to think part of him will always be at Salmestone.

My something new was my wedding dress:

My something borrowed was a ring with yet another pearl in (I like pearls!!) that belongs to my MIL. You can see it in this picture:

And my something blue was my garter:

Excuse the knickers (ahem!).

The bit I hadn't heard about before planning the wedding was the last line of the rhyme which is 'and a silver sixpence in her shoe.' Well I glued a silver sixpence in my shoe!

Which you can see here :)

Friday 25th May (aka. WEDDING DAY!!!!!) (Continued)

12noon - 3:45pm (Continued)

Here is the wikipedia page which explains the rhyme: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Something_old

I had to pop out of the apartment again as the florist didn't know where to put our flower arrangement jars in the chapel. Then it was my turn for makeup!!

Our MUA was amazing, my mum and bridesmaid N didn't want their makeup doing originally but once they saw mine they wanted theirs so my mum, auntie, two bridesmaid and I had our makeup done. I was so happy with it!

imageimage

At this point we had a little natter and laugh:

Mum had her legs out hehe! I hadn't eaten much and started to feel quite tipsy!! Needed to sober up before our ceremony!!

My brothers came to see us :)

And then it was time to get my dress on!!

Edit: My hairdresser also put cluster eyelashes in :)

A few other polaroids

This shows the 'bride-to-be' bunting:

Our photographer:

imageimage

And owlet:

• GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 1,311 New bride

What a cliffhange! Dress pictures please! X

Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.
    Our report: A fun, classic May day in navy and blush
    My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 

3:45pm - 4:30pm

So a few weeks before the wedding my mum, MIL and I went to the dress shop so I could try her on after the alterations and the lady could show my mum how to lace her up. Mum filmed it after the lady advised her to which was a great idea as she referred to it on the day. The other great piece of advice was to allow at least 45 minutes to get the dress on so you don't get flustered and have time to cool down.

Really I would have liked to start at 3pm so I had time to chill and spy on people out the window afterwards hehe. However the time flew and my mum had to help my auntie get ready so we didn't really start until about 3:45pm (maybe a little earlier). My bridesmaids helped me get my hoop in:

This picture looks like I'm karate kicking my bridesmaid R haha!!

Then I stepped in and mum started to lace me up!

imageimage

You can see R holding the phone showing my mum the video hehe!

R helped me get jewellery on:

And I was done!! Our photographer then took some pictures of me on my own :)

imageimage

Then she captured my dad and step-mum's 'first look':

imageimageimage

Brilliant reaction :)

I think at that point Della the registrar came to see me to check the last minute details and the I went downstairs!

Our photographer was telling me what to do at all times as I didn't have a clue. She got some great pictures!

R took this one which shows my dress:

This is when I started to feel a little nervous as I think my face shows:

Daryl (the organiser on the day) came to get the mums and my auntie and we realised my dad didn't have a buttonhole! So off he went to get one and even put it on for him :) Then he took the mums and my auntie around to the chapel:

I've just realised I have no idea what we talked about or did whilst Daryl was escorting the mums. I think I was so nervous that it all became a blur! Daryl came back and we started to walk around to the chapel:

My dad giving me a wide bearth as he'd already stood on my dress once and was worried haha!

3:45pm - 4:30pm (Continued)

Another one where I look nervous!! I can't remember this being taken!!

In the main entrance to the venue our priest met us and said hello. He walked with us to our 'special entrance' and we had a picture:

imageimage

Love my bridesmaid in the second one :)

Brother Damien, our priest, went in and asked everyone to be upstanding and then Daryl counted us in!!!!

• ruthie1979ruthie1979 Posts: 794

You look absolutely stunning xxxxx

ruthie1979 wrote (see post):

You look absolutely stunning xxxxx

Aw thank you!!! Xxx

Hey!! 

In case anyone is still reading! I do intend to continue the report but it's been a mad few weeks!! We are very lucky and found somewhere to live and moved in on 23rd June, not even a month after the wedding!!! So it's been a mad rush to pack, move, clean and unpack and we're also cat sitting as well so living in between my friend's house and our flat.

Might do a mini flat report actually complete with pictures once we're a bit more settled! 

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,137 New bride

Don‘t you just look gorgeous! I love your Dad’s reaction - he looks incredibly proud and in awe! The bit about you helping our Auntie to get ready because you wanted her to feel nice too made me get a lump in my throat. What a lovely thing to think / do when everything else is a whirlwind! Can’t wait to read more.