DIY Festival wedding 27-07-18

Well I'm not quite sure where to start! i am now officially Mrs Oakley! :)

If you have been following my planning thread you will know we had around 8 months to plan the wedding and tried to do a a lot DIY!

I have absolutely no idea where to start with this .. the run up.. I was working Monday, Tuesday overtime (stupid idea that turned out to be!) Whilst at work on Tuesday i got a photo from my wedding fairy (also known as Charlotte!) they were at the field where our reception would be held and the marquees were starting to go up! 

• Vicky105Vicky105 Posts: 140

Some of the the photos I received that SUNNY Tuesday :)

Wednesday- no more work! We had a few errands to run including getting the dogs groomed ready they would be making an appearance on our day so needed to look their best!

Wednesday evening we went to help set up with one of the marquees make sure they were positioned correctly -

My plan!

I was also keeping a close eye on the weather forecast after 4 weeks of solid sunshine Friday was not looking so good!

We had arranged for a flat bed truck as our stage leaving our band open to the elements I was really having doubts about this.

In swoops my wedding fairy telling us she had an enclosed HGV trailer that was already at the field as it housed the marquees and we could happily use that! The one pictured above with the crates in! Phew first truck cancelled and huge apologies made to my bridesman who had arranged it but it will soon become clear this was the right decision! Wednesday night was filled with collecting everything to be taken moved into the extension so it was all in one place and hope we wouldn't forget anything!

Thursday - I went and collected my bucket of flowers ready to divide between my vases for tables, I took my mum with me and left OH at home with my Dad.

When we got home Best man had arrived ready and raring to go.we packed our car and our van my dad's trailer was laden up too! Off we trotted to the field.

The marquees were all now fully up and the trailer in place we started unloading ready to go make another trip!

Whilst I left Wedding fairy wrapping fairy lights around the marquee poles along with bunting around the edges and hanging hoops with white paper lanterns.

The best man, groomsman and my eldest bridesmaid arrived for the set up operation!

My car also arrived all of the above along with us were camping in the field that night so nothing was left unsupervised. I set about instructing what box needed to go where and setting up all the different sections.

Thursday evening I zoomed home for a shower and to wash my hair - luckily our house is only a 5minute drive from the venue!

Our amazing local takeaway provided us with pizza garlic bread and chips to feed all the troops at the field totally for free!

Finally made it to bed at about 11.30pm exhausted!

Some photos of how all the different bits looked

Our homemade wine labels image

My hand painted signs the Wedfest ones were put at the roadside and the camping/parking to direct people in the field :)image

Our ' Memory' ladder we only have one surviving grandparent between us i was so pleased that we managed to get all the missing grandparents wedding photos! We had a bottle of whisky for the grandfathers and a large bouquet of flowers for the grandmothers ( this was made up from some of the flowers that came in my previous mentioned 'bucket of flowers' 

Our 'honesty bar sign' we paid for all the bar stuff and just had a money box out on each section for people to contribute if they wished

One of our bars the logs later had glass drinks dispensers placed on each one - 4 in total with different cocktails in them and the right hand side was filled with bottles of wine etc - they were still in the fridge van when this photo was taken i don't know if there are other photo as of yet

I had this on top of some crates on the corner of the bands 'stage'

Our spirits bar - again all homemade from pallets it as so useful having all the spirits on the optics and worked so well! there was certainly no Gin left at the end of the night! lol The hanging tubs housed cocktail stirrers, straws and cocktail umbrellas!

Our pick n mix table

Car box and decorations :) the trunk was empty so if there were presents we stored them inside it!

Guest book and heart drop frame alone with more flowers from my 'bucket' and some photos of us

The left of this is a hot drinks station with a caddy full of different teas coffees sugar etc and some mason jars filled with hot chocolate and mini marshmallows - the right is the box to house our cake which with it been so hot we kept in the fridge van until about half na hour before we were going to cut it.

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

Wow it all looks lovely so far, you did so well organising and setting up everything yourselves.

Friday morning our generator arrived via my brother along with a refrigerated van for keeping drinks in this had been pre packed at our house the Thursday then left plugged in chilling all night at the warehouse - although I wish I had supervised the packing of this! :)

Our cake was delivered and safely stored in the fridge van - as it had been so warm I think the icing was putting up a fight!

all the festoon lighting went up after a quick panic of how to suspend them and a trip to collect some wooden stakes. Another panic when we realised there weren't enough adaptors for the generator off went my OH in search of some.

Leaving me and the others to finish all the final decorating at the field.

One of the last jobs was to mix the cocktails in the glass drinks dispensers I couldn't find my quantities list so it was more like poor a bottle of vodka etc in then top up with mixers 😂 we had Woo Woo (my fave cocktail and my late best friends nickname was Woo) Blue Lagoon, Pimms (I forgot the fruit it was sat in the fridge at home but no time to worry about this!) and we had a non alcoholic pimms which the kids absolutely loved and is so easy to make! This is also where I wish I'd supervised the packing of the drinks van as all the prosecco we needed for welcome drinks was right at the back! So I had to reorganise everything!

I planned to be home at about 12 to have a shower something to eat and relax before my hair and make up lady arrived at 1.

Would be nice for some feedback/to know if anyone is reading this :) 

• Kelly224Kelly224 Posts: 962 New bride

Ooh I am 🙂 eagerly awaiting next update!! 

• nicki126nicki126 Posts: 248

Absolutely!  Looking forward to the rest!

• RB2SRB2S Posts: 45 New bride

I’m reading!  Love your spirits bar, such a good idea instead of just having the bottles lined up on a table

• Deffo reading, can't wait to see what it all looks like when set up :) 

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

This looks like it was a super fun wedding- love how much you guys made

Well that didn't happen! I arrived home at 12.55 so after a quick call to tell hair lady to let herself In i dived in the shower and was out just as she arrived. I was alone at the house as I'd left the others at the field finishing bits off, time just seemed to disappear from us! 

I could have fallen asleep as she did my curlers and then my make up! It was quite strange been alone at the house with just Jody doing my hair.

So also means no getting ready photos which I don't mind but here's some photos from my trial!

On the day I had looser curls and make up trial 

She kept telling me to make sure i got something to eat as I'd not eaten yet that day and my stomach was telling everyone as much!

I managed to grab a drink of water when the rest of my flowers arrived 🌺 My bouquet was beautiful! 

I had my hair and make up finished when my eldest bridesmaid arrived to do her hair and make up!

Her other half was a groomsman he had to run in and grab some socks to take to OH cos he had forgotten them! And also took MIL buttonhole which was lucky as I hadn't even considered how to get that to her!

Soon Followed my bridesman who poured me some coke im sure it had vodka in it too! I hate wine and don't do prosecco etc hence not having a bottle when we were getting ready.plus I'd just need to pee!

At 2.30 the dress lady arrived to help me get in my dress 👗! She had brought with her some white wedding wellies and some umbrellas just in case as the weather forecast was still threatening thunder storms and torrential rain! Just what you want at an outdoor reception!
    I got in my dress and whilst I was hidden away my 2 younger bridesmaids my parents and god parents arrived along with my wedding car and the car for my bridesmaids!

bridesmaids car

My car 😍

I still hadn't managed to eat anything!

At around 3 the photographer arrived (OH's Uncle) for some photos in the garden. As this was happening I was convinced we were running late so was desperate to get moving! 

Some photos from at home - they aren't fab cow in yet to sort through them all so these are photos of photos!

The bouquet and dress

imageimage

My dad set off with my god parents (my mum was travelling in the car with me as it was very low and quite small so my dad was worried about getting in and out of it, I told him it was fine I didn't want him worrying and I didn't mind going with mum!) 

I climbed in the car and we were off! Our cars got a lot of looks and waves as we made the 20minutes journey across town!

I'm a teaching assistant at a local secondary school and was dreading seeing any of my kids as we travelled through town I could see it now all the 'alright miss' 'miss!' But I was lucky not a child in sight!

There was a bit of traffic in town and I was still convinced we were running late however I needn't of worried when we arrived at the registry office I could just see a few guests milling about who were quickly ushered inside. 

• Wow, your cars were amazing and your dress is gorgeous! I love the volume.

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,135 New bride

Ahh what a lovely report. I hope the rain did hold off but can't help thinking the white wellies would have looked cool! Your dress and flowers are lovely, the style of it really suits you.

weatherwaxe wrote (see post):

Wow, your cars were amazing and your dress is gorgeous! I love the volume.

Thankyou :) it is a full length dress but i had it made into tea length due to the nature of our reception! :)

I met my dad out the front where we had a few more photos before I was called in for my meeting with the registrar I thought I would be really nervous about this in case I got something wrong but I actually felt ok and was having a joke with them. I later learnt that when OH had arrived they were in a panic about our music they hadn't realised I had written a full list of what was to be played when and put it in the back of the cd case a mad panic to find the case when he told them this and all was well! Although I think they could have been playing anything cos I don't actually think I took any notice!

They said they needed a couple of minutes to get everything in place so I summoned my bridesmaid to help me have a wee! The registry toilet was huge so I needn't have worried! 

My two god daughters, my youngest bridemaids stood together followed by my eldest bridesmaid and bridesman and then me and dad and waited for them to put on the correct track - Ellie Goulding - How long will I love you.

Off went my youngest 2 the younger has Cerebal Palsy so needed her sister to help her walk down the aisle, she did so well! 

Then before I knew it the other two had disappeared inside.

I didn't feel nervous at all I just wanted to see my man! Before I knew it we were at the front of the room I hadn't noticed anything other than him and that he had welled up! Result! 😂

Loving reading your report Vicky, you happiness is radiating in all the pictures! look forward to reading some more.

Ashley72 wrote (see post):

Ahh what a lovely report. I hope the rain did hold off but can't help thinking the white wellies would have looked cool! Your dress and flowers are lovely, the style of it really suits you.

Hold on to that thought Ashley! 😑

MrsS85 wrote (see post):

Wow it all looks lovely so far, you did so well organising and setting up everything yourselves.

Thankyou! Even though we were stressing at the last minute and had a house full of stuff for months I'd have done it the same again! 

Especially a few days later an Auntie said to me it was so much more than she expected and I'd thought of absolutely everything obviously she wasn't expecting much knowing they were just going to a field for a reception 😂

RB2S wrote (see post):

I’m reading!  Love your spirits bar, such a good idea instead of just having the bottles lined up on a table

This now lives in our garden! It is a tip top garden bar!

Yey everything went fine with the ceremony we even made each other and our guests laugh. Outside in the gardens for photos I had serious face ache from all the poses smiling and real smiling of course!

I don't know why the website won't let me upload photos straight from my computer :(

• Our guests started to leave to head to the next venue, we had a few more photos with the bridal party then off they went too as they were responsible for getting out the cocktails and drinks from the fridge van as well as serving prosecco to the guests ready for our arrival. They did an amazing job and other friends also mucked in to make sure everything was done :) 

We stopped off on route to the reception for some photos on the cliff top and gardens near where we live. More posing! Our photographers wife (OH's Auntie) went to buy us some ice creams as it was red hot! They had just closed! gutted!

We finally made our way to the venue and arrived to a lovely cheer! More photos with my gorgeous wedding car and our own pride and joys - we are both car nuts. 

Shame you missed out on the ice cream, the car photos have come out lovely.

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

Ah awesome that you could have your cars involved! My partner is a little bit devastated that he can't take his because the venue is down a really rough lane.