β€Ί

Our Country House Wedding: The Report!!!

While waiting for our professional pictures I thought I would make a start on the report.

First up, a bit about our wedding suppliers and us.

Names: Louise & Andrew

Met: 9th August 2016

Engaged: 14th January 2017

Wedding Date: Sunday 28th October 2018

Venue: Barnett Hill Country Hotel, Surrey

Brides Dress: Keely by Mori Lee

Brides Veil: Blossom & Bluebird

Brides Shoes: Rachel Simpson

Bridesmaids Dresses: Maids to Measure

Flowergirl Dresses: Monsoon

Wedding Coordinator: Surrey Wedding Company

Flowers: Wedding Flower Company

Photobooth/Camper Van: Oh Snap UK

Videographer: The Captured Picture Company

Photographer: Jennifer Sinclair 

Flowerwall: Silks in Bloom Kent

Hair/Makeup: Natasha Wiggins

Chocolate Fountain: Hot Chocolates

Me and H2B had been friends for a few years. He knew all about my previous abusive marriage and the crap relationship that followed after that and he was totally ok with the fact that I was still married at the point of getting together and had an 11 and 7 year old.

He unofficially proposed to me back in November 2016 but I told him to come back when he had a ring lol.

We was visiting some venues one Saturday in January 2017 to get an idea of was on offer, even though I had decided what venue I wanted already. My best friend who is also my MOH had arranged all the visits and came with us along with my daughter. She deliberately made sure we visited my dream venue last. Little did I know that they was in on the secret proposal that was about to happen.

We had just finished viewing our dream venue, which was covered in snow and looked amazing and my youngest kept going on about going upstairs with her as there was something she had to show me and kept mentioning that Andrew (my H2B) had a surprise for me.

Me and my daughter started to go up the stairs and all of a sudden I heard Andrew tell me to stop and turn around and there he was on one knee. I almost fell down the stairs at this point as my foot slipped lol. He asked me to marry him and then gave me the most amazing ring! Me, Andrew and my daughter started crying and hugging and my best friend had caught it all on camera and was crying too. It may not be romantic to some people but to me it was amazing

Β«134

• Yay!!!  Happy to read your report xx

• MrsHowgateMrsHowgate Posts: 1,389 New bride

Negatives

One of the best men went AWOL and never turned up. No reason as to why. Even now we have had no reason from him. As a result we had to pay for his hotel room on check out which really pissed us off. Andrews parents kindly paid for the room as obviously we didn’t have it.

The venue cut up all the cake and didn’t save the top tier for us to freeze.

The bridal suite had lots of bugs and was very dirty and some of the guests also had issues with their rooms which resulted in them being moved. This is being dealt with formally so don’t want to say too much.

The function sheet which detailed everything which the venue produced wasn’t adhered too and I found myself having a bridezilla meltdown the day before the wedding, more on that to come.

Positives

The flowers exceeded my expectations and reduced me to tears. The venue styling was absolutely amazing, my floral frame table plan was beautiful and the cake was something else! A real showstopper.

During the day a Robin was perched outside on the wall looking directly into the ceremony room. This apparently symbolised someone looking down on us. For me, that was my nan and for Andrew it was his grandad who sadly passed early last year.

The weather was a mix of rain and sun.

So, without further ado lets being......

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

Sorry to hear you had a few things go not so well, but hope you had a great day overall and look forward to reading more of your report.

T-MINUS 2 DAYS TO THE WEDDING

Myself and my MOH decided to check into the venue 2 days early so that we can relax and also to get everything to the venue so that if we had forgotten anything then we had time to pick whatever it was up.

In the morning we had our spray tans and spent some time in the relaxation room at her work before travelling to the venue. I had already collected my dress 2 days earlier so that was one less thing to do. We set off for the venue just before 5pm and arrived just before 6 (we got stuck in traffic and sat nav sent us on a different route).

Here is a reminder of the venue:

Once we arrived at the venue we was taken to the bridal suite, my home for the next 3 nights. It was a beautiful spacious room with the dressing room ajoined to it via a door which I had access too from Saturday. The only downside to the room? The bugs which were all over the window ledges and by the kettle and ladybirds, which didn’t bother me as much but the bugs did. One bug even found its way onto my veil! The manager on call came and got rid of the bugs and as silly as it sounds I got really upset. After paying £££ I shouldn’t have had any form of bug or dirt.

Here is the room:

Once in the room we left everything in their boxes and ordered room service: fish & chips and cola for me and a club sandwich and Diet Coke for MOH before she tinted my eashes and eyebrows (she’s a therapist by profession). We eventually fell asleep just before 11pm.

• OmRumOmRum Posts: 803 New bride

What a lovely room, and how special to have such a fancy, large room to get ready in! I'm sorry about the bugs, but unfortunately it is the time of year when they all try to get inside for warmth. In older buildings, this should be expected, but at the same time, the room should have been checked thoroughly. It's good that the manager dealt with the problem.

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

That room is beautiful, it must have been so nice to arrive 2 nights before as well.

I have been hit with post wedding blues really badly at the moment and struggling to remember anything! I will be back soon x

WEDDING EVE

This will be over a couple of posts and the pictures were taken by myself and bridesmaids.

I didn’t sleep well at all. I had about 4 hours maximum. I knew I was going to be exhausted as the day went on as we had a lot to do and everyone from up North was arriving, H2B was arriving and also my family and friends were arriving to check in to the venue. 

We started the day by having a big breakfast as I knew I most likely wouldn’t eat anything else for the rest of the day. The dressing room which ajoined to my room was made available so i could start preparing everything.

Me and MOH started by putting all dresses, accessories and my dress in there and started to hang everything up. MOH took over the laying out of the room as she wanted it to be perfect. It took about 2 hours as we also checked the gift bags and laid them out and also laid out the alcohol ready for the next morning. I also hung up my underskirt and draped my veil over the chair to get any creases out.

imageimageimageimage

Once the dressing room was laid out ready I suddenly became very emotional and burst into tears as I thought H2B wasn’t going to turn up and didn’t want to go through with it. I video called him, he called me silly and reassured me he was coming. He was in fact getting ready to leave at that point to travel to the venue. My MOH gave me a well needed cuddle. I then got a text from a work colleague telling me she had arrived so I took myself off to her room for an hour to have some space. At this point I saw future MIL and FIL. I hid as I wasn’t ready to see anyone. All I wanted to see was Andrew!

Afterwards I went to collect the napkins which I needed to roll as I had got some rings to put round them. They were meant to have been in my room on check in but apparently nobody was notified of this even though I had it in writing. I will do a separate post at the end about what things werent communicated to the venue. Believe it or not it took nearly an hour to do! During this my mum and 2 daughters had arrived.

Seeing my daughters was a huge relief as I had been away from them since the Wednesday and had missed them loads. While taking them up to my room while mum checked in Andrew arrived. I literally flew down the stairs and gave him the biggest kiss and cuddle. I couldn’t believe he was here. I had missed him so much. We agreed he would get settled and I would come to his room so we could exchange gifts and have a bit of ‘alone’ time πŸ˜‰ sadly, this wasn’t to be as I got intercepted by MIL and his nan and told I was not to see him until we met at the end of the aisle. I burst into tears because I just needed to see him again. MIL took his gift box and said she will give it to him and I will get mine tomorrow. Told me it was bad luck to see him and I had to respect the tradition. I went back to my room and sobbed. At this point one of my bridesmaids Lucy arrived. I also text my work colleague as I was going to introduce Andrew to her that evening but as I wasn’t allow to see him I had to cancel. Andrew I might add spent all evening in the bar with his family while I cut a sorry picture upstairs in my room 😞 Even though people had started arriving and I had my MOH and one of my bridesmaids in my room (the other has yet to arrive) I suddenly felt very alone!

• Oh that’s a bit ridiculous of your MIL, I think I’d have been having a few curt words so I admire your restraint! Your dresses and all the jewellery and bits look lovely all laid out. 

At around 8:30 my other bridesmaid Steph arrived. Sallie (MOH) and Lucy has taken a taxi into town to get some food and drink, they wanted me to go with them but I said no. I asked Sallie to take MIL gifts to her on their way out as they were all still in the bar at this point. Sallie made her feel guilty about how she spoke to me and by not letting me see Andrew. I wanted to join them all in the bar to hand out the gifts and ties to everyone but now I couldn’t. I got a text from Andrew to say that tears were flowing following by a text from his mum thanking me for the gifts I got her. I got her a bag which contained a personalised jewellery box, card, poem, personalised champagne flute glass and tea light holder. After a while Sallie was given my gift box which Andrew has done for me with strict instructions that I am to open it in the morning. They came back around 9pm. 

I did one final check of the dressing room. Checked my veil to find a massive bug crawling up my veil. I managed to flick it off with my hair extension pack and squish it on the floor. I decided to put the trsin of the dress in the bag just in case anymore were lurking about, thankfully not! That’s another thing to add to my list.

Lily my eldest daughter came to see me and together we set about doing the sparkler tags together. Lucy and Sallie we’re back now and also helped. I had forgotten to bring the original sparkler tags I got from Nottinghamshirewice so had to use the ones I had in reserve. We did 50 sparklers and put them in the box and also put together the flip flop box. I put my gift box from Andrew on the side.

imageimagePictures taken on the wedding morning.

Myself, Lucy and Steph all climbed into the king size bed together around 11pm. Sallie had gone back to her room. Lily went to my mums room where she was staying around 10pm. I had checked the weather forecast.....sunshine and showers. I was now a few hours away from the best day of my life so needed to try and sleep......

Now I need to wait for my professional pictures in order to continue and the rest of my report will be very picture heavy!

• MrsHowgate wrote (see post):

Seeing my daughters was a huge relief as I had been away from them since the Wednesday and had missed them loads. While taking them up to my room while mum checked in Andrew arrived. I literally flew down the stairs and gave him the biggest kiss and cuddle. I couldn’t believe he was here. I had missed him so much. We agreed he would get settled and I would come to his room so we could exchange gifts and have a bit of ‘alone’ time πŸ˜‰ sadly, this wasn’t to be as I got intercepted by MIL and his nan and told I was not to see him until we met at the end of the aisle. I burst into tears because I just needed to see him again. MIL took his gift box and said she will give it to him and I will get mine tomorrow. Told me it was bad luck to see him and I had to respect the tradition. I went back to my room and sobbed. At this point one of my bridesmaids Lucy arrived. I also text my work colleague as I was going to introduce Andrew to her that evening but as I wasn’t allow to see him I had to cancel. Andrew I might add spent all evening in the bar with his family while I cut a sorry picture upstairs in my room 😞 Even though people had started arriving and I had my MOH and one of my bridesmaids in my room (the other has yet to arrive) I suddenly felt very alone!

You showed a lot more restraint than I would've done, there would've been no way I'd have been stopped from seeing my hubby if I'd wanted to. How rude of your MiL and there's absolutely no tradition that dictates you don't see your intended the night before the wedding.

• Agreeing with Mrs Horton and CavalierBride - there are loads of brides that not only see their groom but stay with their groom the night before! It's not "bad luck" and there's no obligation to follow any tradition you don't want to. Geez, you'd think they would have had a heart and relented when you were at the point of being reduced to tears!

Your dresses and accessories look so pretty, can't wait to see the look all together!

WEDDING MORNING - 2am to 7:15am

I had a pretty roughs nights sleep especially as the clocks went back that night. I woke around 2am. Pottered around for a bit being mindful that Steph and Lucy were asleep. I did my only Facebook status of the day at 3:21am which read ‘So today’s the day!!! After all the excitement and stress of the planning, the day is finally here and I’m finally going to marry the love of my life Andrew πŸ‘°πŸ½πŸ€΅πŸΌπŸ’πŸ₯‚πŸΎπŸ’‹β€οΈ’ I managed to finally fall asleep at around 4am to wake up around 6:30am with a WhatsApp from Sallie saying she was awake if I wanted to go see her. I went 4 doors down the corridor to see her and we talked for about half an hour. We both had the same dream that I would be married by a male registrar, was this to be true? About 7:15 me and Sallie went back to my room to find Steph and Lucy awake and excited for the day ahead. The weather was heavy rain but I didn’t care......I was getting married today 😁

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,137 New bride

Oh no, I hope you’re ok and can come back when you feel ready, whatever has happened. It would be such a shame for your own memory box not to finish off after your lovely planning thread too!

• Oh no! I hope you're ok...? Congratulations on the wedding and hopefully we'll see you back here in the future xx

• SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,781 New bride

Hope everything's ok? Was enjoying your report (and I enjoyed your planning) so hope you're able to come back to finish it eventually

WEDDING MORNING - 7:30am to 9:30am

Once I showered, I decided that I needed to open the box Andrew has made for me at this point before doing anything else. Meanwhile, the florist had arrived with her business partner and assistants. I could hear the banging and unloading from my room which was at the top of the stairs directly above the reception and ceremony rooms. I had been given strict instructions not to leave the room until it was time for me to make my grand appearance at 2pm. 

Now Andrew isn’t one for being soppy and I have to admit, I was worried about what he might have got for me as normally I have to tell him what exactly I want. First off he got me a beautiful Bride box, much bigger than what I imagined. Inside was a card he had made especially for me, it reduced me to tears. Me being me noticed he spelt aisle wrong but at that point I just didn’t care. He also got me a Christmas tree bauble which had been personalised, socks which had ‘wifey for lifey’ on, a garter, bride knickers, wedding cake chewing gum, personalised tea towel, bride pouch and he also had a start named after me and I got a pack with the coordinates on and also the name ‘The Louise Howgate Star’. The guy did well I have to say! We decided on not getting a perfume for the wedding day so instead I washed and layered myself in Snow Fairy by Lush which is absolutely divine and I smelt like candy floss!  (The following pictures by my bridesmaid)

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

After opening Andrews presents I of course decided because I was absolutely starving I wanted to have breakfast. With that me, my bridesmaids and MOH went for breakfast. I had to close my eyes and had them lead me down to the restaurant where breakfast was being served without seeing the florist and what she was creating. We was all in our slippers, dressing gowns and pyjamas which I had given to them the night before. 

We were seated in the areas which had been reserved for the bride and her party. At which point my mum, daughters and a colleague from work, Collette had arrived. Now the nerves had struck and all I managed to eat was a slice of toast and 2 glasses of orange juice. I tried to eat but honestly I just couldn’t. Andrews mum, dad and Nan also arrived. I was starting to feel a bit overwhelmed as also my 3 aunts and uncle also arrived, it’s like they knew I was there and wanted to see me even thought I really didn’t want to see anyone.

Anddews mum came and presented me with a gift for both of us and Savannah, my youngest decided it was perfect to put her collection of mini tomato ketchups in and quickly started to do it despite me telling her not too.

imageimage

I asked how Andrew was, he was fine, not nervous and waiting for breakfast. We had to time it so that I left as he was arriving as to not see each other.

All of a sudden it was nearing 9am and I had to go back to my room as according to my schedule, Ella the on the day coordinator needed to see me, the hair and makeup ladies were due to arrive and the bridal bouquets were being delivered. Lucy helped me back upstairs and I prepared for the busyness that was about to commence. The do not disturb sign was put on the door to the suite and dressing room.

The photographer wasn’t arriving until 9:30 so I had a bit of respite. Mum followed me back to the room clearly ignoring the sign. She asked me what the plan was. I told her she needed to make sure Savannah washed her hair and they was to all come back at 10:30am. She then started asking what’s going to happen at the ceremony, where do we stand etc etc. I was loosing my rag and told her I didn’t know till I met the registrar as I’ve never had a civil ceremony before as I got married in a church last time. She still wouldn’t let it lie so I started shouting at her and told her I no longer wanted her to walk me down the aisle, a decision I did change my mind on once I had calmed down.

I decided to have one of the bespoke biscuits that I had made for the day and crack open my small bottle of rose Prosecco. I also sent Andrew a WhatsApp message saying ‘Happy Wedding Day and i’ll see you at the end of the aisle xxxxx’

imageimage

It was now just after 9am, it was chucking it down with rain and there was a knock on the door.......

Ashley72MrsTracey and Sadieee I am back. I just had a bit of a wobble thinking people didn’t want to read my report. 

• OmRumOmRum Posts: 803 New bride
    MrsHowgate wrote (see post):

Ashley72MrsTracey and Sadieee I am back. I just had a bit of a wobble thinking people didn’t want to read my report. 

I'm loving the report. Such lovely gifts from your husband. I'm not expecting half as much from mine!

• OmRum wrote (see post):
    MrsHowgate wrote (see post):

I'm loving the report. Such lovely gifts from your husband. I'm not expecting half as much from mine!

Oh yay so glad you’re back!! I’m loving your report, I think I can often be guilty of reading and not replying which I think lots of people do, so it can feel like you’re talking to yourself a bit! But please be reassured that lots of us are loving reading it! X

• Please continue! I'm a right lurker and just enjoy reading without necessarily posting all the time!

The knock on the door was the hair and makeup artists. Natasha brought and assistant with her, well I demanded that she did because I was worried she wouldn’t have us all ready by 1pm especially as Lucy can be very picky and I didn’t want to run the risk of over running. Because they arrived just after 9am it meant that the whole schedule had to be moved forward and hour, great for me but not for MOH Sallie as she was originally due to be done at 11:30 before getting her daughter (flower girl) ready for the wedding but now needed to be done at 10:30 instead. I said I was sorry and said she can use my spot if she needed too as I was due to be done last at 11am. She said it was fine and went to call her husband who was bringing Francesca to the venue from their home. Sallie also asked me what went on with my mum. I asked why and she said that my mum was crying and really upset. I explained what happened and she agreed that’s what my mum had said but that she was also upset that there wasn’t a seat for her at the breakfast table! My 2 daughters stole the chairs for themselves and just as I was about to get up to get an extra seat she did it herself. I didn’t know she was upset by it! 

Anyway, I didn’t have time to be getting upset over this, not meant in a bad way but I knew once it hit 10:30 there was going to be 13 people in that room and I knew I would feel very stressed out at that point.

Natasha set about putting my hair in rollers to give it extra body. This took about 30 minutes.

There was another knock on the door. It was the photographer arriving. First thing she said to me was ‘what an awful day for a wedding’ That seriously pissed me off. I was already upset over the weather as it was I didn’t need reminding by everyone about it. She began to setup her equipment ready and also had the list I sent her of pictures that absolutely had to be done.

At this point I had sent the napkins down to be placed on the tables and met with Ella who took the seat reserved signs and some other things from the boxes I had packed. The rest of the things would gradually be taken at various points through the morning. I also met the events manager Nilesh who seemed in control. The draping company had just finished doing the draping on the windows too so now it was all systems go for the final setups. Finally, the moment I had been looking forward too yet slightly dreaded had arrived! Delivery of the flowers.

Andrew was already dressed and ready to go! He of course spent the morning in the bar with his family who no doubt asked him if he was sure he wanted to go through with it.

Here is a picture of my gorgeous husband and also him with his uncles and dad (peach tie)

imageimage

Unfortunately I now have to wait for the pro pictures before I can continue. I do have some pictures from the bridesmaids of the flowers and staircase but I want everyone to see the flowers in their beautiful full glory! Hopefully it won’t be too long before I can continue. 

But for now, I shall leave you with one picture of my beautiful bouquet!

• Leigh83Leigh83 Posts: 112 New bride

This is so exciting! The gifts from your husband are so lovely! And that bouquet is so beautiful! I'm really enjoying reading this and am glad you came back πŸ˜€

We’re getting our online gallery preview tomorrow so hopefully it won’t be long before we get the USB so I can continue 😁😁

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,137 New bride

Your bouquet is lovely. What a proud husband Andrew looks too! Looking forward to seeing some more pictures!