Our Edinburgh Library Wedding - The Report

MrsTobe18MrsTobe18 Posts: 81 New bride
edited December 2018 in Your wedding reports

Welcome

I have been a bit of a silent stalker on planning threads and reports on this forum for the past year so I thought it's a good idea to write my own report. Admittedly, I did attempt a planning thread but I found I was really busy in the lead up to the wedding and didn't manage to give it as much attention as I would like. I found the wedding reports to be so useful with regards to how to manage expectations of the day, so I hope I can be helpful to other brides-to-be! :)

Brief History

My (now Husband eee!) and I met in 2015 and two and a half years later we got engaged in the Dominican Republic. We were having a romantic dinner on the beach when Steven read me a poem and popped the question with the most beautiful pear shaped diamond. It was a magical evening and we spent the next week enjoying the moment to ourselves (we only initially told immediate family and very close friends). 

The Venue

Once we were home we decided to set a date to be married on 13 October 2018 at the Signet Library, Edinburgh. The Library was just wonderful in every way, and I'll leave you with a sneak preview of the venue here:

• MrsTobe18MrsTobe18 Posts: 81 New bride
    edited December 2018

T - 2 Days

I was lucky to have finished work on the Wednesday before the wedding as the Thursday was completely taken up by boxing all our wedding items and organising everything we would need to drop at the venue the next day. It took so much longer than I expected and we didn't particularly do much DIY'ing - I certainly take my hat off to all you DIY brides, I could never do it(!!).

We also had a few deliveries on the Thursday... Our gifts for parents (large hand-picked food and drink hampers) as well as our cheese for the cheese tower and a bottle of whisky for Steven's dad (we were drinking from a Quaich during the ceremony).

That evening I also had a full body exfoliating treatment and a spray tan at a lovely local salon/spa called Camomile Sanctuary (highly recommend). This wasn't as relaxing as I'd initially hoped as when I was driving home I remembered I'd left my engagement ring in the pocket of my dressing gown whilst getting my spray tan - ahhhhh!!! Queue mild heart attack and driving like a maniac to get back to the spa. I was the very last person leaving that evening so I was incredibly worried that they would have already left for the evening and that my ring would be sent off to the laundry with the dressing gowns and I'd never see it again. Thankfully when I ran up to the door hysterically, the lovely lovely girl who had done my spray tan was holding my ring - can you imagine!! Biggest fright ever...

Anyway, I got home around 8:30pm (with my ring!!) and we shared a pizza (wedding diet had gone out of the window) and a bottle of red. I then went to sleep hoping and praying my tan would be okay in the morning.....

edited December 2018

The day before...

I woke up to find my tan to be a lovely even colour, I was very impressed and so happy I had one in the end. I was quite nervous about it as I really didn't want to appear orange or streaky but it really was just the perfect 'bridal glow'. We got up early and I set about ironing the bridesmaids dressing gowns for getting ready the next day before we loaded the car with all our bits and bobs to take to the library.

Before we arrived at The Library, we had a pit stop at Mademoiselle Macaron to pick up our wedding favours. We chose salted caramel and vanilla macarons to be given to each guest. They were also kind enough to attach our name cards to each macaron so we doubled these up as each person's place setting.

Once we arrived at the venue we set about showing our wedding coordinator where everything for downstairs was to go (they had another event downstairs that evening) but we were able to access and set up upstairs. We firstly organised the favour boxes into tables to ensure we weren't missing anyone.

We also took this time to set up our whisky and gin bar. We had decided we wanted to create a complimentary bar (whisky and gin) for guests attending the evening of our wedding. My hometown is a tiny town in the Highlands which is home to the Glenmorangie distillery. Luckily, my cousin works for the distillery and very kindly provided us with the bottles for the whisky station. We purchased the gins when they were on offer or if we were flying anywhere in duty free.

I then went to check into our Airbnb which we had hired for the night before the wedding for myself, mum, dad, my sister, her two kiddies, my brother in law and my Gran. One of my bridesmaids who had travelled from Southampton also stayed the night before with me. I stayed elsewhere with Steven the night of the wedding but my family stayed in the apartment both nights. It worked out really well as we had ample room to get ready the next day and it meant the two wee ones weren't stuck in a hotel room all morning.

• OmRumOmRum Posts: 285 New bride
    Congratulations on your marriage! How lovely to get married in a library. I'm looking forward to more photos!
  • I'm so jealous that you got married in a library. I'm a librarian and the idea of being married surrounded by books is such a delight.
  • MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride
    Looks a beautiful venue, look forward to reading more.
  • Your venue is gorgeous! 
  • Aww thanks ladies. The venue really is stunning... So lucky to have it on our doorstep! Xx
    edited December 2018
    I was absolutely rushing to get to the apartment on time for my sister arriving (with two little ones).. and this was when I started to get a little stressed. The afternoon was so busy helping everyone into the apartment with their bags for the weekend, getting everyone settled, picking up my dress, doing a shop for last minute bits etc etc.... Time just seemed to go by in a flash and I felt like I almost couldn’t fit everything in. I hung up my dress in my room (away from sticky fingered toddlers lol) before retreating for a glass of champagne with mum and the girls around 4pm... That’s when I started to relax.

• CharleahCharleah Posts: 165 New bride
    Love your venue, I’m gonna go tell my fiend about it now cause she’s obsessed with books! 😍
  • Charleah said:
    Love your venue, I’m gonna go tell my fiend about it now cause she’s obsessed with books! 😍
    She would love it... they must have thousands and thousands in there ☺️
  • Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,135 New bride
    Ooh everything is gorgeous so far. I can’t wait to read more. Your bridesmaid dresses look lovely. My heart went for you with the ring - SO glad the spa lady found it!!! 
    edited December 2018

We then headed to the salon where I had my tan done the previous night. I'd organised a 'nail party' with the ladies in the bridal party which was a really lovely way to spend a couple hours. We had the nail room for private use and got champagne included with our treatments. My Mum, Gran, Sister, Bridesmaids, MIL and SIL all came. It was lovey and really relaxing which is exactly what I needed. I had my nails done before the party but I got my toes done at the party in shellac 'creekside' (close toe shoes) as my something blue :).

After we had our nails done we went back to the apartment for the evening and ordered food for dinner. We ate from Wagamama which I think was a good option as it wasn't too heavy (I was a bit concerned about bloating). After dinner I handed out my gifts for my parents and my bridesmaids and my sister (maid of honour). I think I previously mentioned I got my parents a large wicker hamper which was filled with lots of food and alcoholic goodies. They loved it and started cracking open some of the edible items straight away!

For the girls I made them their own boxes which contained a handwritten card, chocolate macarons from Hotel Chocolat (we had the hen do in Paris), a pearl hair piece (it gets a bit lost in the packaging), a Jo Malone soap and a bracelet from Rox. They looked like the below.

I also got the girls Katie Loxton pouches, personalised hangers and blush coloured robes with their names on for getting ready :)

edited December 2018
    I had roughly two glasses of red wine that night before retiring to bed. I felt really calm and relaxed at this point and was confident I would get a decent sleep. I fell asleep about 10:30pm and slept through until roughly 4am when I woke up to hear my little nephews coughing. I got up and sat with him (only 11 months) and my mum until roughly 6am when I went back to sleep for about 45 minutes before waking again. When I got up I noticed I had a prickly heat rash all over my chest... The first time EVER in Scotland... The worst possible timing. I just tried to ignore it until I got up in the morning and stood in a cold shower for as long as I could manage. It took the colour out of it so you couldn't see it but I could feel it slightly :(. My make up artist arrived at 8 and we set about getting ready. I honestly loved this part of the day. I really thought I would end up rushing but it was so calm and relaxing and we found we had plenty of time to enjoy it (2pm ceremony). I had bought myself a Bride robe to get ready in but I just felt it made me look a bit frumpy so I just stuck with my pj's :).

I told the girls to just get their hair and make up however they wanted so they all picked different hair styles which were beautiful and really complimented them. They all stuck with similar makeup to match their pale pink dresses :). You can see a couple of them here:

I chose to have very classic 'bridal' make up. I wanted it to look quite natural whilst still having a great coverage. I'm not very good with my make up and switched make up artists half way through my planning and was so happy I did. Hannah was wonderful and done exactly what I was hoping for, despite my extremely poor description of what I wanted. I wear Velvet Teddy lipstick every single day, so I decided why change it for my wedding day? :)

My hair was low set - I always need to be able to see some hair around my face / neck. I hate if I can't see any at all so I was really pleased with this too. I had bought a hair vine which was made to measure from an independent, local jeweller which I wore just above the bun. I don't have a close up of it in my hair but here's a picture on the model.

• Then our photographer headed quickly to the boys who were getting ready in an apartment a short drive away...

The boys were also safeguarding our rings... :)

edited December 2018
    By the time our photographer was back at our apartment, my family were all ready and it was time for me to get into my dress. But quickly before that.. .Here are my beautiful wee nephews :). They were both feeling a bit under the weather on the wedding day so the smallest was allowed his dummy for the day. They were very handsome indeed and I just loved having them with us on the day so much :)

• So, as I was saying... it was time for me to get into my dress...

And then my dress was left whilst I fetched my shoes.... (btw, isn't it crazy how heavy wedding dresses are?!)

My beautiful sister helped me into my dress which was easier than I thought it might be :)

The shoes.....

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,135 New bride
    Your getting ready photos are so beautiful!! I can’t wait to see what’s next!
    edited 2 January
    After I was in my dress, it was time for the veil. We had a bit of a dress/veil disaster (won't go into it) which resulted in us having to find a veil really last minute and cutting it on the morning of the wedding (lol - after so much thought we put into everything in the run up to the wedding!!). I honestly couldn't have cared less about this on the day as it was a plain veil, and I gathered nobody would notice the difference. I did buy new scissors though so they would be sharper and hopefully cut rather clean.

And then we were all ready :)....

We took some more photos with everyone before leaving the apartment and I would highly recommend doing this if you can. We were ready in plenty of time and I feel like once I arrived at the venue everything went so fast and that we were rushing a lot of the photos. These were really laidback and a lovely memory of the morning.

I love these photos of/with my lovely Gran so much.. Definitely ones to cherish :)

And before we knew it.... The car had arrived...

I had just booked the one car (a vintage taxi) as we were only a 5 minute drive from the venue and figured they could just shuttle back and forth. They took my Mum, Gran, Brother-in-law and my baby Nephew first, before coming back for the bridesmaids, page boy and photographer.

It was at this point that I realised I hadn't even seen the car yet, so Dad & I peeked out the window and waved the girls off...

I think my Nephew loved the fancy car :)

edited 2 January
    And then it was just Dad & I left... This was really nice. Dad topped up my champagne glass and we just had a chat to pass the time. I was getting quite nervous by this point but Dad was really good at keeping me calm and just telling me to enjoy my day. I warned him the night before that I didn't want any soppy moments in the morning as I was so worried I would cry and ruin my make up haha! 
    After what seemed like a long time, we saw the taxi coming round the corner to collect us. I made sure I closed all the windows and had my first look in the full length mirror. When we were ready Dad helped pick up my train and veil so it didn't get dirty on the stairs or on the wet pavement outside. 

The lady driving the cab was so so lovely, she chatted the whole way to the venue which was just great as it really stopped me from over thinking the situation. She had collected the boys from their apartment before my mum etc, and she announced that Steven had told her to tell me how handsome he was looking..... lol!

As we were arriving at the venue which is situated on the Royal Mile (main tourist area in Edinburgh) we were getting lots of excited smiles and waves from lots of tourists - we may have indulged in a royal wave back lol!!

That's when we saw our photographer as we pulled into the entrance of the venue...

Then it was time to get into the venue without letting my dress touch the ground.. More tricky than it looks but Dad was a great help :)

The boys had gotten everyone a seat and were patiently waiting at the front of the room. 

• weatherwaxeweatherwaxe Posts: 848 New bride
    Love your bouquet, so fresh looking and beautiful. Everything looks gorgeous tbh, and your page boy is SO adorable in his little kilt!
    Love your bouquet, so fresh looking and beautiful. Everything looks gorgeous tbh, and your page boy is SO adorable in his little kilt!

Aww thank you :) - your bouquet was beyond amazing too! I loved all of the colours.. so unique. That reminds me.. I totally forgot about the flowers - here's a close up of my bouquet below! I loved it but aren't they so much heavier than they look?

• weatherwaxeweatherwaxe Posts: 848 New bride
    MrsTobe18 said:

Aww thank you :) - your bouquet was beyond amazing too! I loved all of the colours.. so unique. That reminds me.. I totally forgot about the flowers - here's a close up of my bouquet below! I loved it but aren't they so much heavier than they look?

So much heavier! My arms were so tired from carrying mine. It's one of those things you definitely don't realise until you get married.
  • CharleahCharleah Posts: 165 New bride
    Your photos are AMAZING I love them!! You look beautiful 😍
    Charleah said:

Aww thanks so much :)! Our photographer really was wonderful - I would recommend him to any Scotland brides.
  • Absolutely gorgeous and I'm so jealous of your library wedding  :)
  • MrsTobe18 said:
    Charleah said:

Aww thanks so much :)! Our photographer really was wonderful - I would recommend him to any Scotland brides.
    Everything looks so so lovely! My future sister in law is getting married in Edinburgh next year so would really like to know who your photographer was please!

Thanks!
    edited 4 January
    MrsTobe18 said:
    Charleah said:

Everything looks so so lovely! My future sister in law is getting married in Edinburgh next year so would really like to know who your photographer was please!

Thanks!

Thanks girls :). @Cupcakes2019 it was Catching the Moments Photography. xx

edited 15 January
    Once I arrived I was quickly ushered inside (horrible weather) where I was greeted by our Humanist Celebrant (legally binding in Scotland) Robert. Now Robert was absolutely fantastic. We much preferred the idea of a humanist ceremony as neither of us are religious and it meant we had much more of an input into our ceremony to make it fun and less 'stiff'. It also meant we got to choose our celebrant ourselves and meet them several times before the wedding. We met Robert a total of three times where he took the time to get to know us as a couple. This meant it was a warm welcome from him on the day, rather than meeting someone for the first time. This settled my nerves.

My sister (MOH) and bridesmaids were also waiting for Dad and I. My sister quickly announced we'd lost a bow tie - my nephew had had enough of it already haha! I didn't mind at all as he was still so smart in his kilt :).

Isla, our wedding coordinator from the Signet Library, quickly lined us up in the order we would be walking down the aisle and before I knew it our entrance music started playing by John on the piano. We chose 'Everything' by Michael Buble (piano only) to walk in to. I originally wanted 'Can't help falling in love' by Elvis but every time I listened to it I would cry... So that had to go!

Lauren went first down the aisle...

Shortly followed by Amy...

My nephew just followed Amy out the door! We really didn't think he would walk down the aisle on his own so my sister planned on walking with him but he just set off himself haha :). I obviously couldn't see any of it (which is such a shame, I wish I could watch it) but my sister said once he saw all the people he waited for her to catch up with him and they walked the rest of the way together...

And then it was my turn. I still get goosebumps as I write this. I won't lie to you all... It's quite scary! I'm not really very good at being centre of attention and this was the bit I was most nervous about. I was mainly nervous I would cry the whole way down! Isla told me to pause at the door and she would sort my train and veil. Before we knew it, Dad and I were walking down the aisle smiling to everyone. I felt like it took bloody forever (!! lol) but Dad said he had to hold me back from running down the aisle...

Steve hadn't turned round yet....

And then he looked :) :)

And then I started to get a bit teary ha! I was quite pleased with myself though.. I managed almost all the way down without crying. *Queue silly trying not to cry smile*... 

Then Dad gave me a kiss and Steve a hug and it was time to start the ceremony...

• You look Stunning! The photos are fantastic. Looking forward to seeing more. 

Can I please ask where your bridesmaid dresses are from? I love them x