Flying with Dress

I know this has come up before, but can anyone advise on flying with your wedding dress?  I've heard you are best taking it as your "carry on" but seriously, with the size of some dresses, how can you possibly pack it into an approved size case without completely ruining it?
I don't have my dress bought, so maybe this is something I should actually consider in buying it?  We have finallyfinallyfinally (finally) decided what we are doing and we are going to Vegas.  I am BEYOND over the moon excited but now apprehensive about this aspect.  I looked, and the place we plan to have the ceremony actually rents dresses, but I'm an odd size so I don't know if I want to go that route.  (I'm not sentimental about these things, so that part wouldn't bother me.)  Not to mention, you can get a sample or off-the-peg dress for about the same price as the rentals!
Any advice from someone that's flown a dress? xx

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,189 New bride
    I've seen people carry their dress on in a dress bag and ask a flight attendant to hang it up. Otherwise pack it in a large enough suitcase I guess, though you may have to check it in if too big. I suppose knowing you have to get it to Vegas might influence your choice of dress size anyway.
  • A lot of the nicer airlines using newer and larger planes have a sort of wardrobe where they can hang a dress up for you. A friend of mine actually bought her dress a seat when she got married. Mind you, she was only going to Portugal on Easyjet so it was much more cost effective! 

I think most dresses will fold up to fit in a carry on though, unless you're planning on a massive ballgown. And most nice hotels I think would be happy to steam your dress for you on arrival. My hotel steamed my veil for me on my wedding morning, and that was just London. I'm assuming hotels in Vegas would definitely have that facility. 
  • Thank you @weatherwaxe ; that is good to know about the hanging wardrobe area.  That would certainly be ideal.  At this point, I'm not planning on a massive ballgown (as I'm a tiny person), but as they say, you never know until you try things on.  But I'm going to keep that in mind.  
  • Katy81Katy81 Posts: 29 New bride
    I flew to Italy with my dress in July as it's mainly budget airlines that fly out there I bought an extra seat next to me for my dress and was best choice I made and def worth it and mine wasn't ball gown but had a bigger bottom half x
  • MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 712 New bride
    I flew with a huge dress to Mauritius with emarites and they hung it in the cabin with the pilot. Bonus was I got free champers off them too 👌
    That was 11 years ago though. I'd contact the airline and see x
  • MrsGtoB said:
    I flew with a huge dress to Mauritius with emarites and they hung it in the cabin with the pilot. Bonus was I got free champers off them too 👌
    That was 11 years ago though. I'd contact the airline and see x
    I think that's so awesome of them!  Isn't it lovely when the staff of someplace/ some company gets excited and invested in your day??  Heck, it's sometimes hard to get your own family to be helpful and excited!
    I'm going to look at flights today and then start making enquiries.  I actually work not too far from our departure airport, so if I have to, I may just pop down to the terminal and ask.  Would def be doing that AFTER the holiday madness is over though!
    I love hearing that a big dress is not out of the question though.  
  • MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 712 New bride
    @KittyFiennes the best part was the exMIL and exFIL requested to sit away from us so they could sit in peace away from our 18 month old at the time! So they missed out of the champers! Karma is a b*tch!
    Good luck I'm sure they will be accommodating especially with it being long haul x

• @MrsGtoB that's too funny!!