A fun, classic May day in navy and blush

We got married 2 and a half weeks ago and I’m reflecting on our wedding from my sun bed in Borneo. I’m hoping I can give some advice from this but let’s see! 

So first, introductions. I’ve written a long and rambling planning thread which you are forgiven for not reading. If you have read it, thank you for sticking with me. This forum has become a source of comfort, catharsis and occasional obsession over the past 20 months.

I’m Jess and my lovely new husband is Nick. We’ve been together 7 years, we were engaged for 20 months-ish and have been married 19 days thus far. So far, so good.  

We were married on 25 May at St Peters Church, whetstone, which is where I grew up attending and where I was christened. Our reception was at Brooksby Hall in Melton Mowbray. 

We had an amazing day. It wasn’t perfect but we knew it never would be. The caterers messed up and forgot to make canapés so my husband and I ended up in the commercial kitchen going through our emails to find our contract and menu, I snapped at my mother in law (related to the canapés) and the majority of my extended family got really drunk and generally made nuisances out of themselves. None of that really matters though. The ceremony was incredible, we nailed the first dance and ultimately we came out married. The rest of it was just glitter. 

Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.
Our report: A fun, classic May day in navy and blush
My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 

• CoffeeDogAddictCoffeeDogAddict Posts: 1,236 New bride
    Ahh im very excited to hear about your day! I thoroughly enjoyed your planning thread. 

Sorry to hear not all went to plan but i love your outlook on it! Congratulations and hope you're having an incredible start to married life. 
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,927 New bride
    Hope you are having an amazing honeymoon.
    Shame about the canapes but as CDA says, you have adopted a good attitude to it - I'm going to have to try to do similar as with my motley crew of a family something is bound to go wrong! I hope you got a big apology and a refund anyway :)
  • MrsPB2019MrsPB2019 Posts: 688 New bride
    I can’t wait to read more! Enjoy the honeymoon.
  • CitytoCountryCitytoCountry Posts: 142 New bride
    I can't wait to read this! I have to admit to have previously been lurking and loved reading your planning thread (and hello to a fellow lawyer!). 

I went to Borneo a few years ago - hope you are having a fab time: there's some amazing diving there (if you're into that) and the orangutans are a must see!  
  • Cecilia13Cecilia13 Posts: 512 New bride
    I can't wait to read all about it :) congratulations!

Also super jealous about Borneo!!
  • Eeeeek so excited to hear all about your day! 🥂
  • GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 1,311 New bride
    edited 24 June
    I'm waiting on professional photos but will start on the days before!

The Thursday morning we packed the cats off for their spa break (cattery but it costs about the same as a weekend at Champneys) and then packed up the car to head up to Leicester. 

We stopped at the jewelers my parents' use first to drop my engagement ring off to get cleaned up. 

The weather was so lovely and once we arrived at my parents we sat in the garden with them for most of the afternoon just chatting. My Mum and I went to pick my engagement ring back up later and the lady who runs the shop gave us a bottle of champagne and a card to say congratulations. 

My sister and her boyfriend came over, and then a few of my Mum's friends "popped in" (note this happened loads over the weekend and was one thing I really wasn't prepared for, and by and large was bloody inconvenient ha).

We didn't have too much to do (just assemble some bottles with fake flowers and light corks) but they didn't end up leaving until quite late and I was getting a bit nervy. I could also tell that Nick, my Dad and sister's boyfriend were settling in for a bit of a "session" and the Friday was going to be quite busy. 

In the end everyone cleared off at 9.30ish and we had it all done by 10.30. My brother and his girlfriend then arrived from Leeds ( with their pet hedgehog but minus her high heels which necessitated a dash into town the next day). 
    I'm doing this all a bit jumbled because I'm a muppet but a quick post on the "suppliers": 

Dress- Pronovias but BNWT from eBay. I 100% recommend this. I got a gorgeous designed dress at a quarter of the price. 
    Shoes- Manolo Blahnik Hangisi in royal blue. Because the dress was a bargain I splashed out on the shoes, I've justified it that I will wear them again, unlike any other part of my wedding outfit!
    Veil- Pink Margaret (Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/weddingveilsbymargaret/?ref=br_rs) she made me a bespoke lace edged catherdral veil for £80! The quality was incredible.
    Menswear: Slaters hirewear. All very smart and very flexible on collection and return dates. 
    Bridesmaids Dresses: ASOS. bargain in the sale. 
    Photographer: Abul Shah at Gracious Photography. Such a lovely man and so so talented. He really goes above and beyond. 
    Flowers: Julia Dilworth Florals in Leicester. Our flowers were so so gorgeous and Julia was so friendly.
    Transport: Blue Moon Bay VW Campervan. This was great as it 1- blew the older generations minds 2- meant myself and my 6"7 hubby had a bit of leg room on the way to the venue. 
    Hair and Make Up- Nicola Hodgkinson. Nicola did hair and make up for 6 of us in 5 hours and didn't even break a sweat. What a woman. I am biased but I think we all looked great too! 
    Band:  Squeeze Box in Leicester. Again, really good and got everyone up! 
    Evening caterers: Lata Lata in High Wycombe. These guys are local to us and did some amazing street food.
    Venue: Brooksby Hall. Gorgeous venue. Bit inflexible.  

I'm not going to name and shame my day caterers save to say I wouldn't recommend them! The food was delish but they messed up big time.  
    So come Friday morning, we had a fairly chilled out breakfast with my family (save my sister and FSIL who had dashed into town for the aforementioned shoes and to have their nails done).

My in laws and the whole bridal party had planned to meet at my parents for lunch prior to the rehearsal. It was so lovely to just see everyone catching up and having some food and drink in the garden. 

We then packed up the cars and the bridal party and my Dad headed off to the church for the rehearsal. All in all this took about 40 mins. Top tip: tell everyone that things start 15 mins before they do. So. Much. Faffing. 

The rehearsal was lovely and our vicar spent a while chatting about the meaning of the whole day, about what was important and everyone's role in supporting us through not only the wedding day and the marriage. My brother and brother-in-law sobbed through the whole rehearsal which was surprising but very sweet.

After the rehearsal we were heading over to meet everyone else at the venue to set up. At this point we checked google maps and there had been several accidents (and it was 3pm on the Friday before bank holiday weekend) and the 25 min journey took well over an hour.. 

Anyway! We got there and it was an absolute mad flurry of setting up. We had lots of people helping us and to be honest I found it way too stressful. Everyone was shouting my name and trying to get our opinions on the most inane things ("do you think we should put the jars containing the flying saucers at the front or back of the sweet cart" - I mean literally no one cares).

In the end it was all fine, the hall looked gorgeous and everyone was a massive help. Top tip: bring scissors. We had one pair and they were like golddust. 

This was also the time we got to see our cake for the first time (designed and made by my lovely Mum):

That cake is incredible!!!! 
    Wow the cake is amazing!! 
    Also C works in High Wycombe so I'll tell him to check out your caterers :)
  • CitytoCountryCitytoCountry Posts: 142 New bride
    Those are amazing baking skills!
  • Northern_brideNorthern_bride Posts: 124 New bride
    Wow that cake looks amazing!

Good tip telling everyone things start 15 mins earlier than they do 😉
    Wow! What a beautiful cake! Your mum is amazing :)
    edited 8 July
    After we had set up the venue we dashed to the hotel Nick would be staying at that night to get changed. We had a meal booked with our bridal party and parents and partners at the Pumping Station. We had actually looked at this as a potential wedding venue but it was slightly too small. 

We had a private room there so everyone could mingle and catch up. My favorite part of the weekend was seeing all the people that you love that may not usually mix in the same place. 

After dinner, we decided to give everyone their gifts. We decided I would do a speech at the rehearsal  as I knew I'd be too emotional to do one on the wedding day. I had planned to sit and write something but life just got away with me and I ended up winging it. It went well still but on reflection there is more I could/ should have said! 

After that we packed up and headed home. I stayed at my parents with my bridal party the night before. We got back and steamed the dresses and veil, then headed up for an early night. 

We've had our wedding highlight photos back so it's time for lots of flashes... 
    edited 9 July
    So the morning of I woke up around 4.45ish.

I’d shared a room with my sister and we sat and did Disney princess face masks for half hour or so. The other girls all drifted into our room at about half 5 as we’d all woken up early and excited!

We started showers and then the MUA arrived at half 6. I had a great time smothering myself in all the Jo Malone stuff I got. I’d brought us all button up PJ tops, and got my parents a personalised top too, and bridesman. They were pretty cheap and I’m glad I did them as it was just an extra bit of fun.

My bridesman arrived at 8ish and we had breakfast and a few bottles of champagne. I really loved the morning and getting ready. It felt quite chilled (up to around 11) and was nice to just catch up with everyone. My parents were there and we had plenty of music on. The weather was absolutely lovely, too. 

The photographer arrived at 9ish as he’d been with Nick first thing. Apparently all the guys were fine and Nick loved my presents. We had been texting in the morning too which kept me calm.

Gifts I went slightly overboard. My excuse was he brought my engagement ring. I had some cufflinks made for him from some coins I'd saved from Cuba, where we got engaged. I also got him a bottle of Johnnie Walker blue label, and a Canon DSLR camera which he has been after for an age. I had also given him some boudoir pictures the night before. 

I decided I wanted to open my present from Nick on my own and before I got in the dress to get it out the way. He got me a tiffany bracelet, a little camper van charm for my pandora, a bottle of the Jo Malone bath oil in my wedding scent in a lovely engraved box. I had to be quite firm with my Mum that I wanted to be on my own for that part. Love her dearly but she likes to be mega involved. 

Getting ready flashes:

It looks so nice and chilled!! Glad it was all off to a good start! 
  • Northern_brideNorthern_bride Posts: 124 New bride
    I'm really enjoying reading your report, I love hearing about the build up and all the little details!
  • Love love love!! Can I ask where you got your bride tribe print from? It’s lovely! 

Your pjs look ace, so nice you did all those little touches for your girls too. excited to read more and see more pics!
    Absolutely loving your report so far 😍
    @Blondiebride2019 thank you, it was actually a gift from one of my bridesmaids which I think came from Etsy.

Thanks everyone!
  • lockamenkalockamenka Posts: 10 New bride
    Extraordinary, very creative!
    edited 31 July
    The florist delivered the flowers mid-morning. She really captured what we wanted so perfectly. We didn't have any other flowers than bouquets, buttonholes and corsages but I am so glad we had these done fresh. I preserved some of my bouquet in silicone gel and stuck them in a shadowbox frame and they make me smile every time I see them! 

My brother arrived at 11ish to pick up the buttonholes and the suitcases from the girls and my parents, as everyone was staying closer to the venue afterwards.

Lots of my parents neighbours had set up camping chairs outside to watch us all leave- they were sat there with bottles of champagne! My Mum for some reason decided to go out and greet them all like the Queen Mother in her pjs with her hair and make up done about 5 minutes before I was meant to be getting in my dress. Which she insisted on helping me with. But I digress. 

My Nan also turned up on the morning (Despite being explicitly told not too). Another tip I have is to try not to let people bother you too much: they don't think before they act 99% of the time. Put you and your future spouse in a bubble and let everyone else bounce off of it.

We also realised that Mum had left my bridesmans tie and pocket square in his suit bag, which she had given to his girlfriend who was at the church. Luckily it was really close so she came screeching back- the hero. 

Whilst everyone else was finally getting dressed, my brother and I had 5 minutes just sat chatting and having a glass of champagne. It was so nice to have those moments of calm with my close family and friends throughout the day.  

I really really loved the getting ready and would encourage you to chose the people you want there carefully, and where you do it. It kept me calm all morning being in an environment I knew with the people I loved. 

Then it was time to get in my dress! 
    Love your mum going out in her finery to greet the peasants 😂😂
    My sister ended up hanging out of the window at the front of the house shouting at her down the road to get in and get changed. I’ll never know why she picked that exact moment to go out!! 
    So dress time. Not much to say here. Make sure you go to the loo first and leave time for you deodorant to dry. 

I’d lost a few lbs accidentally the weekend of the wedding so whilst my dress fit fine, when I bent over to hug people later on the top button unlatched. Thankfully no unfortunate moments and my sister squashed the clasp together with tweezers later on. 

Wow, stunning 😍
  • CavalierBrideCavalierBride Posts: 320 New bride
    Just beautiful! 

• MrsW2020MrsW2020 Posts: 219 New bride
    You look absolutely amazing!