Our civil partnership February 2020.

It’s taken me a little while to get this far and it’s going to take me a little while to get any further so please bear with me. 
Anyone who has read my planning thread will know that my beloved dad was terminally ill and had been very unwell at various points of the planning. 
He was guest of honour on the day and he had an amazing day. 
Sadly, at 12.45pm on the 20th of February, five days after the ceremony, he passed away peacefully in hospital. 
I’m dedicating this thread to his memory as we all had such a lovely day and he was so happy. He would be equally as happy for me to recount the happy memories of that day so I’m going to try to do that for him. 
My photography was done by my brother in law so there’s no pro photographs yet as he’s been too busy comforting my sister but I’ve told him it takes as long as it does. 
Enjoy the thread everyone. 
*In memory of my dad John* 

• Think it’s easiest to start with the essential info. 

Civil partner 1 (bride): Andrea 
    Civil partner 2: (Groom) Paul 
    Best Man: Tim 
    Maid of honour: Teresa 

Make up artist: Beauty by Tara Ladine Sharpe 

Photographer: Stephen Hipkin 

Ceremony venue: Loughborough Registry Office 

Reception Venue: Ramada Hotel Loughborough 

Wedding dress: ‘Jessica’ from Wed2B, veil and belt also Wed2B from the MetroCentre store 

Evening outfit: New Look/Primark 

Shoes: Irregular Choice Lady BanJoes (bought from the Irregular Choice shop in Manchester) 

Bridesmaids dress: Showcase by Dorothy Perkins @Debenhams MetroCentre 

Bridesmaids shoes: Irregular Choice Abigail’s Party (from the IC official website) 

P’s suit: RG by Racing Green at Debenhams (London Oxford Street) 

P’s shoes: Clarks Outlet, Somerset 

Rings: Clogau (mine, from Birmingham Outlet) Warren James (P, from Leicester HighCross branch)  

Bouquets/buttonholes: Denise’s Florists, Loughborough 

Decorations for reception: Amy @East Midlands Weddings 

Cheese cake: Tesco Finest 

Wedding cake: M&S 

Car: Daimler limo, Cloud 9 Classic Wedding Cars, Nottingham 

Transport: Eleet Travel, Anstey, Leicester 

• Ruth126Ruth126 Posts: 39 New bride
    edited 28 February
    Oh I am so sorry to hear that. You must be devastated but also happy he could share your day when his passing turned out to be so close, how special. 
    I am really looking forward to reading about the day but take your time. It’s lovely you are posting in memory of your dad, he would be so proud I am sure. 
    Look after yourself and your family first and can’t wait to read about your day when you have time to post. X 
  • I’m going to try and do this bit by bit as I remember it. 
    Thursday (2 days before) I went to stay in the hotel. I had loads of stuff with me- I felt so sorry for the poor Uber driver who had to bring everything in! 
    I had booked tickets to a comedy show at the Leicester Comedy Festival that night as I just wanted to relax. However P had managed to break the cafetière I had bought him for Christmas so I had to do a mad dash around the shops to buy him another before I went to the show! 
    I was feeling so sick I had to take a Rescue Remedy drop- and I was up past midnight that night assembling my favours. I was so exhausted that I fell asleep on top of the covers! 
    Before I went to bed I plugged my phone into my power bank as there wasn’t a socket by the bed. I had to be up early the next day as P’s stepmum was picking me up to go and collect the cakes. 
    I woke up 10 minutes before I should have been leaving the hotel- my alarm hadn’t gone off as my power bank had turned itself off and my battery had died! What made it worse was that P’s stepmum was early and was ringing me asking where I was before I had even left! 
    Thankfully we collected the cakes without further issues and I arrived back at the hotel, intending to have a rest before I went to collect my best friend from the station. I had been told I was moving rooms so I would be a bit nearer the others, but had to wait for my new allocation. So I was all packed up and resting quietly when my peace was shattered by mum calling me. 

My sister was in tears as my nephew had forgotten his shirt- could I go and get him another? It had to be white though. Now my nephew is a big lad (tall and broad) and needed a big shirt. Loughborough isn’t the biggest of places and I exhausted every single shop (not many) but thankfully I found him one in Tesco, the last shop I went in. Being exhausted I flopped down in Subway, thinking I would have a quick sandwich before my friend arrived. 

My phone rang while I was in there- my friend’s train had been delayed, she had missed her connection and the next one wasn’t for an hour! Part of me was actually a bit relieved as it gave me a chance to finish my lunch and get my breath back (bear in mind I had been running up and down countless sets of stairs- I’m disabled as well- I was in a bit of a mess!)

I managed to collect my friend without too much more drama and we got back and my friend unpacked. My family arrived- or should I say descended- I’ve never seen as much luggage, mess and noise! I was again running up and down stairs as keys didn’t work etc. 

Eventually everyone got settled in their room and we decided to all go out for a meal that night. It was raining heavily and my mum had the only umbrella- so my poor mum got mobbed! After getting back me and my friend decided to sneak out to McDonalds but we nearly got caught when my mum rang me asking how to work the WiFi! 

I didn’t think I would sleep much and I didn’t- my friend has been married for years so we stayed awake for ages as she gave me helpful tips :D 

Thats the story of the two days before in short- it was extremely stressful! Next will be the story of the actual day but again I’ll build up to that. 
  • MrsMidtobeMrsMidtobe Posts: 143 New bride
    I’m so sorry to read about your Dad. I’m so glad he could share your day with you though. Looking forward to reading the full report 😊
  • I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope it helps a little to have the memories of him being there on your big day.

I'm enjoying reading about the build up to the wedding day x

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,954 New bride
    I'm so sorry for your loss, but so pleased your dad was there with you and you will always have those memories of him. Congratulations x
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 77 New bride
    So sorry to hear about your father but great that he got to be part of your day. Sounds like you had a very busy few days leading up to it - hope you got to relax a bit and enjoy the wedding day!